or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple addresses file sharing security issue in Mac OS X 10.6.4
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple addresses file sharing security issue in Mac OS X 10.6.4

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Apple on Monday issued a security update for Mac OS X 10.6.4, addressing an issue that could allow a remote attacker to access shared folders without a valid password.

Security Update 2010-006 was issued Monday afternoon. It applies to Mac oS X 10.6.4 and Mac OS X Server. 10.6.4. The 1.93MB file is available through Software Update or direct from Apple.

The security update is recommended for all users of Snow Leopard, and it addresses an issue where a remote attacker could access shared folders on a system, as long as they knew the name of an account name on that system. By default, file sharing is not enabled on a Mac, meaning the issue would only affect those who have the service turned on.

The original problem was caused by an error handling issue in AFP Server within Mac OS X 10.6.4. The issue does not affect systems running a version of the operating system earlier than Snow Leopard.
post #2 of 10
At first I read that as 10.4.6 and was like "TIGER- WTF!", but yeah, I havn't experienced this problem myself but I suppose it's a welcome bug fix (as are all bug fixes I suppose)
post #3 of 10
Sigh
post #4 of 10
This would explain how so much porn got onto the internet. I'm leaking like a sieve!
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
Reply
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

This would explain how so much porn got onto the internet. I'm leaking like a sieve!

Haha.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #6 of 10
I know it's late, but no "see Apple can haz haxxors like PCs!" commenters? Of course most of them have forgotten the days when Norton or Macafee came standard on a MacOS 6/7/9 pre-install. Ahh those were the days - when the hackers were writing for all platforms!


Oh wait that's right - it's that whole marketshare thingy again. Therez not enough Mac (just some few millions in use I guess) to hack. But just wait. As they "get more popular" the hackerz are gonna bring them down! (/sarcasm)
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Oh wait that's right - it's that whole marketshare thingy again. Therez not enough Mac (just some few millions in use I guess) to hack. But just wait. As they "get more popular" the hackerz are gonna bring them down! (/sarcasm)

Your sarcasm simply illustrates how out of date you are re the number of Macs in use. Most Macs are used by individuals for personal use, not bought as terminals by business.

Although you obviously don't realize it, no Mac virus has been able to spread in the wild. Yet Windows viruses and malware continue on and on.
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Your sarcasm simply illustrates how out of date you are re the number of Macs in use. Most Macs are used by individuals for personal use, not bought as terminals by business.

Although you obviously don't realize it, no Mac virus has been able to spread in the wild. Yet Windows viruses and malware continue on and on.

*****Whoooooshhhhhh*****
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

This would explain how so much porn got onto the internet. I'm leaking like a sieve!

Ever hear of Depends? :-)
post #10 of 10
and what happened to 10.6.5? Still waiting for the OpenGL fix, so I can finally update.
Matyoroy!
Reply
Matyoroy!
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple addresses file sharing security issue in Mac OS X 10.6.4