or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › PC industry customer satisfaction again dominated by Apple

PC industry customer satisfaction again dominated by Apple

post #1 of 39
Apple remains the best in its class for customer service, with the Mac maker again leading all other PC makers for the seventh straight year, despite industry-wide improvement, according to a new study.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index on Tuesday released its annual survey of the PC industry, and on the index's 100-point scale, Apple gained 2 percent to reach 86 -- its highest score ever. 2010 marks the seventh straight year that Apple has topped the PC industry.

Apple is also 9 points ahead of its next-closest competitors: Dell, Acer and HP, in a three-way tie at 77. In fact, other PC makers, including Toshiba and Sony, also came in with a score of 77, suggesting customers view the rest of the PC industry's service equally.

Industry-wide improvements were seen as a positive consumer response to the release of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system last year.

"Windows-based PC brands appear to have recovered from the problems associated with the Windows Vista software," said Claes Fornell, founder of ACSI. "Barely a year into the release of Windows 7, satisfaction with these brands has returned to, and in some cases even surpassed, the levels prior to the launch of Vista."

Though the PC industry has seen better customer service, according to users, in 2010, those who had to contact customer support are 8 percent less satisfied than those who had no post-purchase contact with the manufacturer or retailer.

Chart via CNN Money.

The index is updated each quarter and factors in scores from more than 225 companies in 45 industries and from government agencies. ACSI was founded at the University of Michigan.

Last year, Apple's ACSI score was 84, 12 points ahead of its nearest rival, Dell. This year's score of 86 bested Apple's previous best of 85 in 2008, which set a new all-time high for the PC industry.
post #2 of 39
Well done Apple!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Long on AAPL so biased
post #3 of 39
congrats Apple

however, this also states that the other companies are catching up, as is Windows with W7

well, if it leads to more improvements (in windows and OS X) i am happy

also i have to say, Dell must have improved sense i last bought anything from them.

i think this is good, as i thing this is due in part to the economy and making people want to keep buyimh from you is important, i hope if/when the economy gets better, this continues to rise, or at least not drop

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well done Apple!

Windows 7 seems to be some light shining in the dark of Windows World. But for now I think I keep on using apple for my main computing needs.
post #5 of 39
The dip after vista does not look as big as I expected. I guess PC makers handled it pretty well all things considered. Also of note that both Apple and Dells of the world have been steadily improving since the iMac introduction (although at a slower pace for PCs)
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Windows 7 seems to be some light shining in the dark of Windows World. But for now I think I keep on using apple for my main computing needs.

I use both and yes 7 is better than Vista, to me it feels like XP only working a bit better. However, it is so far behind the pleasurable experience of OS X and for that matter iOS as to be a 'use only when really needed' for me. That is, only when needed is to check web work appears correctly on a PC (which it often doesn't even in 7) and that's about it!
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #7 of 39
Out of pure curiosity, I wish, AI would resolve the graph for some of the most important PC manufacturers?
post #8 of 39
Actually, I think the graph really shows the average intelligence for people using the computer and the Internet. Both mac and PC's were dropping because you had more and more people who have not used a computer in the past so they all thought that did not work right. It is not like PC's got any easier to use after 1998.
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple remains the best in its class for customer service, with the Mac maker again leading all other PC makers for the seventh straight year, despite industry-wide improvement, according to a new study.

The American Customer Satisfaction Index on Tuesday released its annual survey of the PC industry, and on the index's 100-point scale, Apple gained 2 percent to reach 86 -- its highest core ever. 2010 marks the seventh straight year that Apple has topped the PC industry.

Apple is also 9 points ahead of its next-closest competitors: Dell, Acer and HP, in a three-way tie at 77. In fact, other PC makers, including Toshiba and Sony, also came in with a score of 77, suggesting customers view the rest of the PC industry's service equally.

Industry-wide improvements were seen as a positive consumer response to the release of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system last year.

"Windows-based PC brands appear to have recovered from the problems associated with the Windows Vista software," said Claes Fornell, founder of ACSI. "Barely a year into the release of Windows 7, satisfaction with these brands has returned to, and in some cases even surpassed, the levels prior to the launch of Vista."

Though the PC industry has seen better customer service, according to users, in 2010, those who had to contact customer support are 8 percent less satisfied than those who had no post-purchase contact with the manufacturer or retailer.

Chart via CNN Money.

The index is updated each quarter and factors in scores from more than 225 companies in 45 industries and from government agencies. ACSI was founded at the University of Michigan.

Last year, Apple's ACSI score was 84, 12 points ahead of its nearest rival, Dell. This year's score of 86 bested Apple's previous best of 85 in 2008, which set a new all-time high for the PC industry.

Great for apple. There c/s is excellent as I can vouch for this myself what I have went through.
post #10 of 39
I am glad apple has a excellent record in customer service. I can vouch for them personally what I went through my first 2 month encounter with my new 13inch MBP. Terrific service from Singapore they give me when my logic board did not work for the first month.ga
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I guess this article is centered on the Mac. That would explain omitting the iPhone and the embarrassment of the antenna issue which I believe caused more than a few people to be less than satisfied.

I guess it's a common market strategy to follow a PR disaster by puffing out our chest and claiming your "the best!"

Reminds me of those cocky GM commercials about how they were so wonderful, right on the heels of a national bailout.

You must be living in a different universe. Nobody here is embarrassed about any iPhone antenna. Sorry if you feel bad.
post #12 of 39
I only say the obvious: Apple is doomed!
post #13 of 39
Core values haven't changed in Cupertino. Nice to see.
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Great for apple. There c/s is excellent as I can vouch for this myself what I have went through.

It mirrors my user experience perfectly all the newer generation Apple devices are rock solid and perform very well inclusive my newest iOS devices (iP4 and iPAD 3G).
post #15 of 39
Quote:

You must be living in a different universe. Nobody here is embarrassed about any iPhone antenna. Sorry if you feel bad.

At the beginning of August the iPhone 4 had a 93% satisfaction rate as compared to a .003% satisfaction rate for Blackinstosh on AI.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #16 of 39
My cousin just got an iMac this past weekend. Let's see how their experience goes.
post #17 of 39
Quote:

Hmmm, I bet I can find at least one.

And I do live in a different universe than you. It's called the real one.

I can't blame you for that. Since every body thinks his own universe is the real one. I hope in yours its not all black and gloomy and that there is some sun shining from time to time.
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

At the beginning of August the iPhone 4 had a 93% satisfaction rate as compared to a .003% satisfaction rate for Blackinstosh on AI.

Well, Blackintosh's approval was higher than that; there are definitely more than 3 trolls per thousand on AI, at least among active posters.
post #19 of 39
Quote:

I guess this article is centered on the Mac. That would explain omitting the iPhone and the embarrassment of the antenna issue which I believe caused more than a few people to be less than satisfied.

Customer satisfaction for the iPhone4 was higher than the iPhone3 and way higher than any phone of the competition.

J.
post #20 of 39
The topic of the study was computers. And Apple has a seven year streak going. It is not a one time positive thing and is newsworthy. So is the fact that PC satisfaction has turned around. Save the gloom for another day.
post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, Blackintosh's approval was higher than that; there are definitely more than 3 trolls per thousand on AI, at least among active posters.

Well, technically, yes... but the sample only includes one nick from each poster which does away with at least 4 trolls for good ol' Black.
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 39
Highest satisfaction rating without the crucially needed Blu-ray drive, hmmmm.
post #23 of 39
Quote:

I guess it's a common market strategy to follow a PR disaster by puffing out our chest and claiming your "the best!"

Reminds me of those cocky GM commercials about how they were so wonderful, right on the heels of a national bailout.

Naw you just forgot the Reality Distortion Field. You apparently are the only one outside of it looking in and seeing things for what they really are. Revel in your lack of illusion and your ability to see things as they are.

OTOH, perhaps you are too focussed on perceived issues where stats and facts don't hold up your assertions. Just to deconstruct your assertions: this is a yearly computer survey, not handheld/mobile survey, so no they wouldn't include that part of the equation. And since it is conducted by ACS which is an independent org measuring industry performance, and has been for quite a few years now, I am surprised you didn't know this. So this is not Apple "puffing out our chest and claiming your "the best!" - right?

And your comparison to GM is rather silly isn't it - since their customer satisfaction was significantly lower compared to the rest of the industry, assuming you bothered to research some facts to go with your assertions.

Finally - using "more than a few" user complaints begs the question and you have NO hard stats to demonstrate that it was, in fact "more than a few" now do you? Of course not. So all in all, your post is highly inaccurate, has no demonstrable basis in fact, and is your usual characteristic failure to address real issues with real facts. So even as an opinion it holds no validity whatsoever.
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Don't be so hard on yourself. You may be a troll but not one anyone takes seriously.

black-

intosh.

Which is why you are enshrined in so many ignore lists!

But back on subject - it is good to see a renewed focus on customer service by the PC makers. Would like to see Apple and the PC makers ALL up in the 90th percentile!!
post #25 of 39
Good for Apple.

Quote:
Dell, Acer and HP, in a three-way tie at 77. In fact, other PC makers, including Toshiba and Sony, also came in with a score of 77, suggesting customers view the rest of the PC industry's service equally.

It must really suck to be under the mercy of a third party product. What sucks more is when the other business is making boat load of money while yours is barely afloat.
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Good for Apple.

It must really suck to be under the mercy of a third party product. What sucks more is when the other business is making boat load of money while yours is barely afloat.

exactly...Apple can barely keep up with demand for most of it's products. Have you been in an Apple store latley? The stores are full of people buying Apple products and the net profits are higher than they have erver been so things are looking good!

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #27 of 39
It must be frustrating for the PC boys to see their target keep moving like this. They move up, Apple moves up equally. Bummer for them.

Blackintosh: Thanks for my morning laugh. It's fun to see how you can always find a fly in the ointment. If Apple cured 99% of cancers you'd criticize them for not making it 100. You are ridiculously predictable.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Dude I have been a member of this forum since 2006. Believe me if I says something I want to be the one to take credit for it. I don't have to make up other user names.

A whole 4 years hunh? Been reading these threads longer than that, just never felt compelled to add to the chaos until recently. And if you had read the entire post your would have seen it was a play on the phrase "pot calling the kettle black", not attributing anything significant by blackie to you.
post #29 of 39
Quote:

Here you go:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38559192...ience-wireless

Yes it sure must be a huge embarrassment for Apple that they didn't beat the 82% 'very satisfied' of the 3GS, it really sucks if your customers like your products so much you can't outdo yourself anymore. Yet, 71% 'very satisfied' and a total of 93% 'satisfied or very satisfied' is still better than about anything on the market, especially with the ridiculously high expectations people have of Apple products. But we're all fanboys who like everything Apple, right?

By your own logic, customer satisfaction in Europe will be even higher since network coverage and used GSM bands make 'the antenna problem' even less of an issue. Boy oh boy Apple is really struggling with their phone business :-S
post #30 of 39
Quote:

And I do live in a different universe than you. It's called the real one.

Obviously you meant "the surreal one"
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #31 of 39
Give Blackintosh credit for his individualism. He not only stands facing upwind to pee on his own shoes - he encourages others to stand facing downwind and pee on them as well.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #32 of 39
Yeah, it's that evil closed system environment Apple so jealously guards that causes people to not be happy with their...oh wait. Nevermind.
post #33 of 39
I think apple kind of has an advantage cause they charge so much since they don't make low quality products like the rest of the pc makers.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
post #34 of 39
Quote:

iPhone??

The report title begins with "PC industry." That stands for "personal computer". Not "pocket communicator", "phone company", or "pretty cellie".

'K?
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Highest satisfaction rating without the crucially needed Blu-ray drive, hmmmm.

THINK!
How can you measure satisfaction for a product that never existed?

They measure how satisfied they are with the product they bought, not with the product they MIGHT have bought, IF it existed.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

THINK!

They measure how satisfied they are with the product they bought, not with the product they MIGHT have bought, IF it existed.

My thought 1:1 !
post #37 of 39
Quote:

This is about "Personal Computers" dumb a$$. Not cellphones! But since u mentioned, iPhone 4 an embarrassment? LMFAO!! Apple can barely keep up with demand. The iPhone 4 is HUGE success for Apple. Let me say again HUGE!! BTW did you see Apple's stock today? ALL TIME HIGH!!
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

THINK!

Quote:

My thought 1:1 !

All we have to go on is actual customer satisfaction ratings for actual products. Presumably, if Apple were leaving out critical functionality, it would negatively impact satisfaction.

Anyone can claim anything regarding what Apple "ought" to be making by claiming that customers would be even more satisfied if only Apple did what they should. But since there's no way to quantify that, it's entirely meaningless.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Actually, I think the graph really shows the average intelligence for people using the computer and the Internet. Both mac and PC's were dropping because you had more and more people who have not used a computer in the past so they all thought that did not work right. It is not like PC's got any easier to use after 1998.

I see where you're going, but I'd say both have grown easier and easier since 98. XP was significantly easier to use than Win 98(especially online), and the years of polish on OS X show quite clearly when you go back a few versions. I'm sure it's probably a little of both, but computers are definitely doing more things with less BS than ever before. Hooray for progress.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › PC industry customer satisfaction again dominated by Apple