or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO hopes Apple will offer iPhone for its 4G network
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon CEO hopes Apple will offer iPhone for its 4G network

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 
Verizon's chief executive said this week he hopes Apple will build an iPhone compatible with his company's forthcoming 4G LTE network, downplaying rumors of an iPhone launch on his company's existing CDMA network in early 2011.

Ivan Seidenberg made the comments Thursday at an investor conference, according to The Associated Press. Though he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current CDMA network, he said he hopes Apple will allow Verizon to sell a smartphone for its forthcoming long-term evolution 4G network.

The CEO's comments come as rumors have steadily built for months that Apple is prepared to launch a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone in early 2011. This week, overseas suppliers indicated to one Wall Street analyst that Apple will begin manufacturing a CDMA iPhone in December of this year.

Reports of a January 2011 launch began in June, when Bloomberg said it was told Apple would start selling a CDMA handset at the start of next year. Assuming the handset would run on the Verizon network, it would mark the end of exclusivity in the U.S. for AT&T.

In terms of customers, Verizon is the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. Both it and rival AT&T are currently building their 4G networks.

AT&T announced last week that its LTE network is on track for a mid-2011 launch. Verizon, on the other hand, said it will launch its own LTE network in 30 National Football League cities in the U.S. by the end of 2010.
post #2 of 72
What is up with only covering football cities? Does that mean Green Bay, WI is getting LTE before everyone else?
post #3 of 72
Between ivans, it's all understanding..............

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Reply
post #4 of 72
"We don't feel like we have an iPhone deficit," Mr. Seidenberg said. "We would love to carry it, but we have to earn it."

Mr. Seidenberg declined to comment on speculation that Verizon Wireless would get the iPhone some time next year. "I can't speak for Apple," he said.
post #5 of 72
and over the Atlantic, o2 still havnt got passed their 150mbps LTE trial in Cornwall.
post #6 of 72
Still cannot see Apple and Verizon being able to get along.
Maybe by the time LTE gets going, Verizon might let Steve Jobs have his way. But not now.

I would think Apple will come up with the compatible phone. But they will put it out only to whomever goes the Apple Way or the Highway.
post #7 of 72
i thought that ivan seidenberg was being replaced.

he seems to be one of the impediments for a deal with apple.
post #8 of 72
Of course he's going to deny Verizon is getting the iPhone. What'd you expect?

It could hurt Android sales a bit if people know for sure the iPhone is coming soon. And could hurt iPhone sales with AT&T which wouldn't sit well with Apple.
post #9 of 72
So he doesn't want a CDMA-based iPhone? Only LTE? Is this so that he has an incentive for users to move to LTE?
post #10 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon's chief executive said this week he hopes Apple will build an iPhone compatible with his company's forthcoming 4G LTE network, downplaying rumors of an iPhone launch on his company's existing CDMA network in early 2011.

Ivan Seidenberg made the comments Thursday at an investor conference, according to The Associated Press. Though he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current CDMA network, he said he hopes Apple will allow Verizon to sell a smartphone for its forthcoming long-term evolution 4G network.

I find these statements to be contradictory. If he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current network, how could he have been downplaying any rumors? Another interpretation of his silence on a CDMA iPhone is that he was carefully avoiding saying anything so as not to screw up the deal. Saying he would like to sell a 4G iPhone is safe and will not endanger any 4th quarter 2010 sales of their current handsets.
post #11 of 72
If it wasn't for the crappy service at my house, I'd be fine with getting an AT&T iPhone, but because Verizon is the only carrier that reaches my home, I have to wait and hope.
post #12 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I find these statements to be contradictory. If he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current network, how could he have been downplaying any rumors? Another interpretation of his silence on a CDMA iPhone is that he was carefully avoiding saying anything so as not to screw up the deal. Saying he would like to sell a 4G iPhone is safe and will not endanger any 4th quarter 2010 sales of their current handsets.

Basically you nailed it. It's an investor's conference.
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I find these statements to be contradictory. If he said nothing about an iPhone being built for his company's current network, how could he have been downplaying any rumors? Another interpretation of his silence on a CDMA iPhone is that he was carefully avoiding saying anything so as not to screw up the deal. Saying he would like to sell a 4G iPhone is safe and will not endanger any 4th quarter 2010 sales of their current handsets.

We're the ones rumoring, not him. He's not participating in the rumor discussion at all. His not mentioning a CDMA iPhone results in the downplay of -our- discussion.
post #14 of 72
Heh, heh, I see it as Verizon's propaganda machine put out enough FUD to keep as many people as possible from buying an iPhone 4 and signing a new 2-year deal with AT&T.

Now that we are quickly approaching the often rumored "introduction date" and there will be no product launch they can go on record as saying, "We never said we would be getting the iPhone 4." It is an easy way for them to push waiting hopefuls out another few months to see what happens.

My wife and I may jump ship if that day ever comes, but for now I'm going to enjoy my iPhone 4 not worrying about the what-ifs.
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
Just say no to MacMall.  They don't honor their promotions and won't respond to customer inquiries.  There are better retailers out there.
Reply
post #15 of 72
So for those of you that may have bought an Android-based phone from Verizon... What, if anything, has Verizon done to it? Does it come bone stock from the manufacturer? Or does Verizon litter it with its own applications/widgets/etc. Is there Verizon branding all over it? I'm just trying to imagine what Verizon might try to demand out of Apple.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

Still cannot see Apple and Verizon being able to get along.
Maybe by the time LTE gets going, Verizon might let Steve Jobs have his way. But not now.

Agreed. Verizon (an ugly company, BTW) wants to load its usual bloatware and saddle the iPhone with its own obnoxious branding. They need to hear 'Why don't you carry iPhones?' a few million more times before they'll agree to Apple's terms.
post #17 of 72
Apple has never given in to anyone, be it Media companies, Music companies etc, etc, etc.
There is no way that APPLE needs Verizon as much as Verizon needs APPLE.
Hard to believe that APPLE would release a CDMA IPHONE in January before Verizons LTE network is up an running or IN THE MIDDLE OF A PRODUCT CYCLE. Meaning 6 months into IPHONE4 and 6 months before IPHONE 5.
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

So for those of you that may have bought an Android-based phone from Verizon... What, if anything, has Verizon done to it? Does it come bone stock from the manufacturer? Or does Verizon litter it with its own applications/widgets/etc. Is there Verizon branding all over it? I'm just trying to imagine what Verizon might try to demand out of Apple.

There is a verizon logo and a lightly populated verizon app store on all of them, and some have the search engine set to Bing. They still have the google app store and whatever UI mods the handset maker chose to add on top of Android. The situation is a far cry from 2007.

On the flip side, verizon has a bunch of hit phones now and they also have a slower 3G technology. They may not want the iphone 4 to show up with a bunch of side by side network comparisons that attack their very valuable superior network reputation. If they wait for LTE these issues will no longer exist. I would think late 2011 to mid 2012 would be a decent guess for timing of a Verizon LTE phone, but that could change depending on the quality of LTE chipsets available to Apple, the timing of VoLTE rollouts for the carriers, and the general market demand for LTE.
post #19 of 72
The talk of CDMA versus LTE as if the latter will wipe out the former is fruitless. Any LTE phone in the next few years will have to be compatible with Verizon's CDMA network for coverage. CDMA isn't going anywhere.

If Apple were to release a Verizon iPhone anytime soon, it would spend most of its time working with the CDMA network. Just like Sprint and that HTC phone that's advertised as the "first 4G phone," what they don't tell you is that the 4G coverage is so weak that most people who own it leave 4G turned off and use regular old EV-DO 3G data instead. That will be your experience with an LTE phone in the forseeable future.
post #20 of 72
Verizon has already publicly stated that its 4g LTE Network will not have a large enough footprint (to not rely on CDMA as a backup) until 2013-14. Looks like you Verizon fans will have to wait a bit longer.
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

There is no way that APPLE needs Verizon as much as Verizon needs APPLE.

Funny, but it looks like Verizon is doing just fine with the Android thing. They have little need for the iPhone right now. At this point, it seems to me like it would be nice for Apple to sell a few more phones by adding another U.S. carrier, but hardly a need until they have more phones than they can sell. It would be nice for Verizon to be able to get a chunk of new customers by carrying the iPhone, but they are hardly struggling without it.

The iPhone is no longer the only game in town like it was in 2007-2008. I still think the iPhone 4 is the best phone on the market right now, but I am not sure that will be the case in 12-18 months. There is not much I can do with the iPhone that I could not do on an Android phone. The biggest difference is in refinement and I expect Android will keep improving in that area.
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

What is up with only covering football cities? Does that mean Green Bay, WI is getting LTE before everyone else?

They said they would cover 30 NFL teams, so keep in mind that there are 32 teams. I am guessing the scrub teams are going to be left out. That's you Detroit and St. Louis.
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon has already publicly stated that its 4g LTE Network will not have a large enough footprint (to not rely on CDMA as a backup) until 2013-14. Looks like you Verizon fans will have to wait a bit longer.

His answer could've been PR speak. Regardless whether Apple launches a Verizon iPhone in 2011, his statement would still be true. He sidestepped the question very lawyerly.
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They said they would cover 30 NFL teams, so keep in mind that there are 32 teams. I am guessing the scrub teams are going to be left out. That's you Detroit and St. Louis.

What about Buffalo? The team is now worse than the Lions and Rams, and there is no one left in the city who can afford an LTE laptop card.
post #25 of 72
For me, this would be a marriage built in heaven. The day Apple and Verizon copulate will be the day I buy my iPhone. Until then, I'll stick with my MacBook Pro, my iPod, and my Verizon cell phone.
post #26 of 72
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Apple has never given in to anyone, be it Media companies, Music companies etc, etc, etc.
There is no way that APPLE needs Verizon as much as Verizon needs APPLE.
Hard to believe that APPLE would release a CDMA IPHONE in January before Verizons LTE network is up an running or IN THE MIDDLE OF A PRODUCT CYCLE. Meaning 6 months into IPHONE4 and 6 months before IPHONE 5.

Not sure I agree. They certainly "gave in" when they agreed to variable pricing for music in the iTunes store.

Personally, I think Apple should release a CDMA phone - hopefully without Verizon branding. LTE is still years away from wide spread use.
post #28 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They said they would cover 30 NFL teams, so keep in mind that there are 32 teams. I am guessing the scrub teams are going to be left out. That's you Detroit and St. Louis.

He said LTE will cover 30 NFL football team CITIES. Remember, there are teams that are located practically in one city. Jets and Giants, 49ers and Raiders.
post #29 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They said they would cover 30 NFL teams, so keep in mind that there are 32 teams. I am guessing the scrub teams are going to be left out. That's you Detroit and St. Louis.

There are two teams in New York. And San Francisco and Oakland might be considered one city.
post #30 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

What about Buffalo? The team is now worse than the Lions and Rams, and there is no one left in the city who can afford an LTE laptop card.

wow. Eh, I guess I'm used to these comments. But you need to at least pick on Cleveland too.
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

And San Francisco and Oakland might be considered one city.

maybe by someone
post #32 of 72
What a game all these guys are playing, VZ can not piss off Motorola and RIM, because if VZ does in fact get the iphone next year the only one getting hurt in that deal will be Motorola and RIM.
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

What is up with only covering football cities? Does that mean Green Bay, WI is getting LTE before everyone else?

Yes. And by the way, there are 32 NFL teams in 30 TV markets. SanFran/Oakland is one city in a business sense, and of course there are the NY Giants and Jets.

One thing no one has mentioned is that Verizon has the exclusive contract for the NFL Mobile package. It's very important for them to market this. That's why Green Bay's getting LTE before Des Moines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

On the flip side, verizon has a bunch of hit phones now and they also have a slower 3G technology. They may not want the iphone 4 to show up with a bunch of side by side network comparisons that attack their very valuable superior network reputation. If they wait for LTE these issues will no longer exist.

No one compares Android phones' speeds. Why would they with iPhone? The reason for Verizon is their network reliability, especially in big cities. The bigger threat to VZ and Apple is simultaneous voice and data. Fortunately, that doesn't require VoLTE, or LTE+CDMA. It can be done with Voice Over Rev. A, which is a simple software upgrade on the EVDO side.

Another thing no one has mentioned here is the AI report that by January, 2011, Apple will have 3 million CDMA iPhones ready for launch. That's less than the number of iPhone 4's that AT&T sold in the first week. Three million in the first month is simply not enough for Verizon. When you include the people switching from AT&T, ten million in the first month is not out of the question. I don't see VZ getting the iPhone unless Apple can produce more CDMA iPhones more quickly.
post #34 of 72
Here's what i don't understand- if Sprint is allowing unlimited data on its 4g network but capping it on its 3g network, then that means the 4g networks will be able to handle the capacity needed for the iPhone.

And the Sprint EVO does both 3g and 4g...

So why not bring out the Verizon iPhone now, have it run on both networks, and then Verizon can tell people- when 4g comes to your town, its unlimited. Until then, 3g is capped at 2g a month...

And just get it done already!!!!
post #35 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

When you include the people switching from AT&T, ten million in the first month is not out of the question.

10 million is what they have been selling in a quarter, world wide! There is no way they would sell 10 million in a month, more like a year.
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

There is no way that APPLE needs Verizon as much as Verizon needs APPLE.

I think Android is a much bigger threat to iOS than AT&T is to Verizon. Apple is at a distinct disadvantage by only being able to sell to 1/3 of the US cell phone market.
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

Another thing no one has mentioned here is the AI report that by January, 2011, Apple will have 3 million CDMA iPhones ready for launch. That's less than the number of iPhone 4's that AT&T sold in the first week. Three million in the first month is simply not enough for Verizon. When you include the people switching from AT&T, ten million in the first month is not out of the question. I don't see VZ getting the iPhone unless Apple can produce more CDMA iPhones more quickly.

Very true, which is why I keep saying maybe Sprint is actually the US carrier getting the iPhone. They are invested in Android, but not as heavily as Verizon is and if Apple is able to produce a CDMA based iPhone that also supports Sprint's 4G/Wi-Max plans, there are plenty of people who would pick one up. I'm on Sprint, so I know I would.
post #38 of 72
did anyone think was another attempt on VZ part to keep people form moving to AT&T on the next 4 phone as iphone become again the favorite xmas gift for the year.
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Here's what i don't understand- if Sprint is allowing unlimited data on its 4g network but capping it on its 3g network, then that means the 4g networks will be able to handle the capacity needed for the iPhone.

And the Sprint EVO does both 3g and 4g...

So why not bring out the Verizon iPhone now, have it run on both networks, and then Verizon can tell people- when 4g comes to your town, its unlimited.

Two problems:

1. Verizon is planning to offer capped LTE dataplans.
2. Some estimates have smartphone data use increasing eightfold over the next five years. Don't expect anyone to keep offering unlimited data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

10 million is what they have been selling in a quarter, world wide! There is no way they would sell 10 million in a month, more like a year.

After the first month, sure, they won't sell ten million a month. But I read a report on AI or Macrumors (don't remember which) that about half of Verizon's 90 million current subscribers are interested in a Verizon iPhone. Obviously, not all of them will get one in the first month. But even if 10% of those considering do get one in the first month, then that's 4.5 million iPhones.

Then add in the estimated 1.8 million AT&T iPhone subscribers that are willing to switch from AT&T to Verizon for their iPhone. Then imagine the TMobile and Sprint subscribers who would be willing to switch for a Verizon iPhone. That's, what, another half million?

So we, conservatively, have two and a quarter million for just the people switching over from other networks. Then add in the VZ subscribers going to iPhone, and that takes you to nearly seven million iPhones in the first month. This is a conservative number, so ten million isn't impossible. Even if demand is only five million, then you have the same demand constraints of the current UMTS iPhone. Apple may not have an excuse with Verizon supply/demand, like they had with AT&T.

And let me finish with this: AT&T sold 1.7 million iPhone 4's on the first day. Some estimated that they could have sold 2.5 million on that day, if they only had that many to sell. Verizon has more subscribers than AT&T these days. Still think three million in the first month is enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I keep saying maybe Sprint is actually the US carrier getting the iPhone. They are invested in Android, but not as heavily as Verizon is and if Apple is able to produce a CDMA based iPhone that also supports Sprint's 4G/Wi-Max plans, there are plenty of people who would pick one up. I'm on Sprint, so I know I would.

Two problems:

1. Current 4G chips are very power-intensive. Apple could have made their first iPhone compatible with UMTS 3G, but decided against it, believing that the chipsets weren't power-efficient enough, yet.
2. Sprint uses WiMax for 4G, which isn't a technology standard that will be used worldwide like LTE. Apple likes to work with established technologies. If there is a Sprint iPhone, it will be CDMA-only.

I figure that if there is a US launch, it will hold back an Asian launch for a few months; otherwise, Asia will get all of the first CDMA iPhones. The following carriers are likely:

1. China Telecom 1.3 billion people. Emerging smartphone market. Enough said.
2. LG Telecom (South Korea) Demand for iPhones is surpassing all expectations. LG Telecom, lagging in subscriber numbers, would love to have a flagship phone for their EVDO network.
3. KDDI (Japan) Demand for iPhones has been so high, that the SoftBank network has been having AT&T-like straining over the past year.
post #40 of 72
How about a poll? What is the deal with Verizon and Apple? Why can't they come to an agreement to sell the iPhone on Verizon's network?

1. The iPhone is still exclusively under contract to AT&T for another year or so.

2. Verizon wants to brand the iPhone if sold for its network.

3. AT&T provides a kick back of the monthly usage fees to Apple. Verizon doesn't want to do the same.

4. Other


I favor number 3. It's always about the money.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon CEO hopes Apple will offer iPhone for its 4G network