or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Pegatron rumored to begin CDMA iPhone 4 production in November

Pegatron rumored to begin CDMA iPhone 4 production in November

post #1 of 39
A new report claims that Pegatron is set to begin "volume production" of a CDMA-version iPhone 4 in November.

Electronista was first to report Friday that industry sources had notified Digitimes of a November start for production of a CDMA iPhone 4. Sources said shipments of the smartphone from Taiwanese hardware manufacturer Pegatron will likely reach "3-4 million units in the first three months, and 10 million by mid-2011."

Friday's report is mostly in line with earlier rumors. In June, Digitimes reported that Pegatron had received orders from Apple for the CDMA iPhone 4.

"Pegatron will also start shipping a CDMA version of the iPhone 4 to Apple in the fourth quarter and is currently using its plants in Shanghai, China to produce the products, the sources noted," the June report said.

Bloomberg corroborated the rumors later in June when it reported that Verizon was expected to begin selling the iPhone in January 2011.

On Wednesday, an analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group told investors that overseas suppliers were preparing to build 3 million CDMA iPhones in December in preparation for an early 2011 launch.

On the other hand, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg expressed hope Thursday that Verizon will eventually sell the iPhone for its long-term evolution 4G network, but gave no indication that the iPhone was coming to its current-generation CDMA network. Verizon is on track to launch its LTE network in 30 U.S. cities by the end of 2010.

Analysts have disagreed on the effect that a Verizon iPhone will have on both Verizon's and AT&T's profits. Credit Suisse raised its price target for AT&T this week after calculating that AT&T iPhone subscribers switching to Verizon would not significantly harm the company's bottom line.
post #2 of 39
I know I'll have some very happy friends come January. Yahooee.
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2P View Post

I know I'll have some very happy friends come January. Yahooee.

I'm happy with my JB Iphone 3G w/Simple Mobile....
post #4 of 39
For a second there i thought the title said "Megatron rumored to begin CDMA iphone 4 production in November"
post #5 of 39
This basic rumor has only been around for what 2-3 years? I'd imagine eventually it MIGHT be right but not so much in January 2011, maybe June 2011.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #6 of 39
Cheap clones of the iP4, in all probability. They do it to all brands. Always.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #7 of 39
Bazinga!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #8 of 39
1) Ill laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) Ill laugh even harder if its a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobiles 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Bazinga!

Someone is a Big Bang Theory fan.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Ill laugh even harder if its a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobiles 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

You may actually have something here and it might explain Verizon's comment about a 4G LTE version being hoped for. Option (2) would be pretty good for AAPL I would have thought!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You may actually have something here and it might explain Verizon's comment about a 4G LTE version being hoped for.

That was an odd comment. Is a CDMA/CDM2000 version off the table or was that a weak rouse to keep us in the dark?

Quote:
Option (2) would be pretty good for AAPL I would have thought![

The question I cant get answered is how many of those users are currently smartphone users that would buy the iPhone? Despite Verizons lower numbers its likely they have more potential customers in that smaller pool.
post #11 of 39
I don't care for CDMA, or even LTE for that matter, an iPhone 4GS w. LTE Advance would be interesting though.
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I don't care for CDMA, or even LTE for that matter, an iPhone 4GS w. LTE Advance would be interesting though.

Not going to happen. There are no LTEA chips for any cell phone, and LTE chips for handsets still arent going to show up until next year, with that even being a very unlikely option for Apple for a plethora of reasons. I dont expect LTE in an iPhone until at least 2012, and who knows when LTEA will feasible.
post #13 of 39
Quote:

The question I cant get answered is how many of those users are currently smartphone users that would buy the iPhone? Despite Verizons lower numbers its likely they have more potential customers in that smaller pool.

Well Soli I can tell you its at least one, ME!!! And the number of bowling balls sold to people who also bought tissue paper is quite simple. Its all of them
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Well Soli I can tell you its at least one, ME!!! And the number of bowling balls sold to people who also bought tissue paper is quite simple. Its all of them

Are you a China Mobile smartphone user, or is my query to ambiguous?
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

.... And the number of bowling balls sold to people who also bought tissue paper is quite simple. Its all of them

I've seen a few bowlers who look like the'd use tree leaves
post #16 of 39
Quote:

We may never know, but Apple and the Chinese government know. After all, there's a huge grey market for iPhones and many of these end up in China. Both Apple and the Chinese government would know how many valid subscribers there are (China Unicom sales) and how many iPhones are actually on the network in China.

It's possible that Apple already knows that there is a much larger Chinese market due to the number of grey market devices.

Your comment about Sprint is most amusing. We really haven't heard any "iPhone on Sprint" rumors recently, have we? Nor has Dan Hesse blabbed about the iPhone recently.
post #17 of 39
Quote:

Are you a China Mobile smartphone user, or is my query to ambiguous?

Yea and my roaming fees are crazy lol.
post #18 of 39
Quote:

1) I’ll laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) I’ll laugh even harder if it’s a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile’s 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

Since the China market is much larger, I would anticipate these being created for that before Verizon/Sprint here in the US. Just for contrast for those who had forgotten the comparative sizes: Verizon (after recent Alltel acquisition) 92 million subscribers vs. 570 million China CDMA subscribers. That translates to just 16% of the Chinese market potential for Apple to seek as iPhone owners. Just in case there were commenters here that thought the global market didn't matter compared to the US market.
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Since the China market is much larger, I would anticipate these being created for that before Verizon/Sprint here in the US. Just for contrast for those who had forgotten the comparative sizes: Verizon (after recent Alltel acquisition) 92 million subscribers vs. 570 million China CDMA subscribers. That translates to just 16% of the Chinese market potential for Apple to seek as iPhone owners. Just in case there were commenters here that though the global market didn't matter compared to the US market.

It’s possible, and China Mobile certainly looks more willing to play ball with Apple than Verizon, but we need to consider the number of potential customers within each market as they surely differ. With 6.2x the subscriber size (which grows by 5 million per month) doesn’t that mean, with all other things being equal, that China Mobile only needs 1/6th the number of iPhone subscribers as Verizon in order to sell more units?
post #20 of 39
Quote:

That was an odd comment. Is a CDMA/CDM2000 version off the table or was that a weak rouse to keep us in the dark?

I think you nailed it here. The comment (at least on conjunction with the other rumors) smelled a bit like classic mis-direction. That said, the other speculation that it might be for another carrier are certainly possible. Apple knows it needs to go multi-carrier in the US especially with Android aggressively nipping at its heals.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #21 of 39
Quote:

1) I’ll laugh if this is a CDMA iPhone for Sprint, not Verizon.

2) I’ll laugh even harder if it’s a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone for China Mobile’s 570 million subscribers, not a CDMA/CDMA2000 iPhone for the US.

3) I'll laugh even harder if it's just a GSM iPhone with 3G AWS bands for T-Mobile USA and that carrier up in Canada that uses those frequencies.

post #22 of 39
Here we go again, Its like a soap opera..............IPHONE on the Verizon for Verizon.
post #23 of 39
I'm not sure where everyone got the 570 million CDMA subscribers in China from. That might be total number of subscribers in the country but recent reports state that China Telecom which recently acquired the CDMA network from China Unicom consolidating pretty much all of the Chinese CDMA network under one roof plans to have the worlds largest CDMA network by the end of 2010. As of right now Verizon still has the largest CDMA network in the world. As of Q1, after the acquisition of China Unicom's CDMA assets, China Telecom had a CDMA subscriber base of 65million. Which is still dwarfed by Verizon's 80M+ That will change by the end of the year of course. Give the 5x population size of China vs US and all... :P

Also, don't forget Sprint and Verizon's networks are cross compatible (excluding Sprint's limited WiMax of course) so Sprint + Verizon = 130 million subscribers. Still way more than China Telecom will have by the end of the year.

Americans also have a much larger appetite for data and smartphones versus Chinese. Plus our traffic isn't filtered and censored :P

ref: http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/s...10-962159.html

Personally I think the Verizon CEO chatter was probably more for Google's benefit as well as Apple's. Even though polls have shown AT&T won't experience an exodus if there's a Verizon iPhone, what will happen if Verizon iPhone rumors are confirmed, especially with iPhone 4 reception reputation, is people will wait. Especially since there's so much chatter about Early 2011 being the release date. People who are considering either an iPhone 4 on AT&T now or a Droid X etc on Verizon now would wait, canabilizing both company's sales for the rest of the year. Sure it'd hurt Apple less, they'd pick up the sales after the VZW iPhone is released and then some but this is America where now is more important than later and if anything locking a subscriber into an AT&T iPhone means they might buy another on Verizon later. Win-win for Apple.

The bottomline is, for me anyway, there's been a ridiculous amount of these rumors year after year as such I'll believe it when I see it. But I will admit there's a whole lot more chatter as I mentioned about it this time around.

I don't know why people keep talking about the damn chipset. The Qualcomm chipset rumor has pretty much been verified, especially since Qualcomm has iPhone job postings on its website now. Even with the LTE talk from the VZW CEO it doesn't change a thing. Qualcomm already has a chipset that's compatible with GSM/CDMA AND LTE networks. Apple has already shown it goes out and gets cutting edge tech all the time and pushes the envelope so the talk that the chipsets are too new or will only turn up in data devices next year I think are bogus. The talk that Verizon's network not being able to currently handle simul-voice and data are also irrelevant. No simul-voice/data hasn't stopped Android one bit.

You know what the overwhelming reason why the Verizon iPhone rumors are most likely true is? Steve Jobs wants to crush Google. Android's phenomenal success is owed in part to the AT&T Apple exclusivity agreement. Jobs' is on record saying the animosity with Google stems from "they chose to compete with us" which refers directly to Android. Android's success will take a big hit if there's a Verizon iPhone and even more so if there's one on Sprint and T-Mobile as well. Remember, Jobs has been in this EXACT SAME POSITION once before, 20 years ago. Only it was Bill Gates pulling the wool over his eyes saying they weren't going to compete and they could co-exist etc blah blah instead of Eric Schmidt. Jobs is smarter this time around though, and while he's pissed off he's not taking it personally like he did last time.

If the rumors are true, Renewing the AT&T exclusivity last year was a blunder by Jobs. Further exacerbated by keeping iPad on AT&T. It gave Android a big hole the size of the Titanic for them to exploit and fill which they have. Apple has a chance to course correct if they choose. If the rumors are false or the CDMA iPhones are for China and not the US then it'll be a terrible terrible blunder and settle in for the OS Wars part Deux with Google playing Microsoft. If the rumors are true then hopefully, for Apple's sake, it'll be like the iPod. A little late to the game but not too late and they can go on to success.

Bottomline though, I'll believe it when I see it. (And if I don't see, time to start shorting Apple cause it'll never make 400 like some analyst predict)
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

I'm not sure where everyone got the 570 million CDMA subscribers in China from.

Who said China had 570,000,000 CDMA subscriber?
post #25 of 39
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Since the China market is much larger, I would anticipate these being created for that before Verizon/Sprint here in the US. Just for contrast for those who had forgotten the comparative sizes: Verizon (after recent Alltel acquisition) 92 million subscribers vs. 570 million China CDMA subscribers. That translates to just 16% of the Chinese market potential for Apple to seek as iPhone owners. Just in case there were commenters here that thought the global market didn't matter compared to the US market.

Quote:

Its possible, and China Mobile certainly looks more willing to play ball with Apple than Verizon, but we need to consider the number of potential customers within each market as they surely differ. With 6.2x the subscriber size (which grows by 5 million per month) doesnt that mean, with all other things being equal, that China Mobile only needs 1/6th the number of iPhone subscribers as Verizon in order to sell more units?

Quote:

Who said China had 570,000,000 CDMA subscriber?

I think people misunderstood the 570 million number you posted...
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post

I think people misunderstood the 570 million number you posted...

Ah, I didn't see his post. Oddly, it's not uncommon for people to think China Mobile is CDMA when it's GSM for '2G' and their homegrown TD-SCDMA for '3G'.
http://www.chinamobileltd.com/
post #27 of 39
. . .
post #28 of 39
Quote:

Not going to happen. There are no LTEA chips for any cell phone, and LTE chips for handsets still arent going to show up until next year.

Don't tell that to the Samsung Craft handset.
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #29 of 39
If it's really iPhone 4 CDMA and not just iPhone CDMA or iPhone 4 M (multicarrier) I would put it in January timeframe. I think that it would be a great way to keep iPhone exciting and would create a 6 month developer cycle, without any major hardware refreshes.

IE Release GSM iPhone in the summer with iOS #, and then in the winter release a slightly upgraded (a bit faster processor maybe, or Ram) with iOS#.5 that introdues a few more improvements to the OS. You get a year round buzz like Android.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Don't tell that to the Samsung Craft handset.

Thats LTE, not LTE Advanced. I was using an abbreviated initialism by writing LTEA. 2011 should have a lot of handsets with LTE, but I dont think Apple will be there until 2012, at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

If it's really iPhone 4 CDMA and not just iPhone CDMA or iPhone 4 M (multicarrier) I would put it in January timeframe. I think that it would be a great way to keep iPhone exciting and would create a 6 month developer cycle, without any major hardware refreshes.

IE Release GSM iPhone in the summer with iOS #, and then in the winter release a slightly upgraded (a bit faster processor maybe, or Ram) with iOS#.5 that introdues a few more improvements to the OS. You get a year round buzz like Android.

That sounds reasonable to me. Do a mid-cycle release for this new HW.
post #31 of 39
Quote:

That’s LTE, not LTE Advanced

And I responded to your "and LTE chips for handsets still aren’t going to show up until next year."

Quote:

2011 should have a lot of handsets with LTE, but I don’t think Apple will be there until 2012, at the earliest.

Why?
JLL

JLL

post #32 of 39
This rag has just as much false rumors than truth, but wishful thinking leads fools to repeat their BS. If Asus' manufacturer Pegatrom were making a phone for Verizon's network, it is far more likely a knockoff and not a real Apple product.
The MACaholic
The MACaholic
post #33 of 39
Pegatron has confirmed their production of a CDMA iPhone. It is a real Apple product.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=112237
post #34 of 39
I'd like to see an article not written by or quoting DigiTimes showing Pegatron making anything more than boxes and earbuds for Apple.
The MACaholic
The MACaholic
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

And I responded to your "and LTE chips for handsets still aren’t going to show up until next year."

Ah, I was focusing on Verizon but I didn’t qualify my statement with that. It is almost the end of September, but if an LTE phone shows up on Verizon at December 31st i guess that also means I’m technically wrong.

I’m sure there will be more LTE handsets arriving this holiday season around the world, but they are just the “me first” devices because they think the milestone will award them some extra sales, despite how poor the device is. Come on, that’s a MVNO on MetroPCS! It’s akin to someone posting first in a forum for no other reason than to be first but having no substance, but you are technically right.

You could have also pointed out that chip vendors have been designing and building LTE chips for years now. I never said the “LTE chips for handsets” had to be devices ready for sale and being a post on Engadget is still “show[ing] up”.

Moving on, I don’t foresee any decent run LTE-based devices until 2011, after Verizon and other network.

Quote:
Why?

Why don’t I think Apple will lease an LTE iPhone until 2012 at the earliest?
  1. Apple is rarely the first to use a tech first, just the first to use it across the board.
  2. How many years was UMTS '3G' common among smartphones when the original '2G' only iPhone arrived? Jobs said the chips were too power hungry. Clearly this is a concern for Apple.
  3. Apple's been releasing their iPhones in the beginning of Summer, which means we'd be getting a heads up of this LTE iPhone in a little over a half a year yet AT&T has no LTE network and will still be investing in HSDPA/HSUPA as it's not EOL like EV-DO.
  4. Have yet to see an LTE chip that was smaller and more power efficient than what Apple is using. This takes time to engineer. You have to know Apple is concerned about power efficiency and size.
post #36 of 39
Quote:

Why dont I think Apple will lease an LTE iPhone until 2012 at the earliest?
  1. Apple is rarely the first to use a tech first, just the first to use it across the board.
  2. How many years was UMTS '3G' common among smartphones when the original '2G' only iPhone arrived? Jobs said the chips were too power hungry. Clearly this is a concern for Apple.
  3. Apple's been releasing their iPhones in the beginning of Summer, which means we'd be getting a heads up of this LTE iPhone in a little over a half a year yet AT&T has no LTE network and will still be investing in HSDPA/HSUPA as it's not EOL like EV-DO.
  4. Have yet to see an LTE chip that was smaller and more power efficient than what Apple is using. This take times to engineer. You have to know Apple is concerned about power efficiency and size.

I totally agree. AT&T and Verizon will just be in the beginning phases of implementing their LTE networks in 2011, so an Apple LTE phone before 2012 wouldn't be a smart move. Apple has never been concerned about being first, Apple has always been concerned about doing it right.

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

I totally agree. AT&T and Verizon will just be in the beginning phases of implementing their LTE networks in 2011, so an Apple LTE phone before 2012 wouldn't be a smart move. Apple has never been concerned about being first, Apple has always been concerned about doing it right.

I really cant wait until these phones start getting tested and compared. I cant see LTE being much better than WiMAX in power usage and mature HS*PA networks are likely to see dominate in up and down speeds Verizon will have next year.
post #38 of 39
Quote:

I really can’t wait until these phones start getting tested and compared. I can’t see LTE being much better than WiMAX in power usage and mature HS*PA networks are likely to see dominate in up and down speeds Verizon will have next year.

The only real advantage that LTE will eventually have is that it is the new worldwide standard. I am not sure how compatible WIMAX will be with the standard. Regardless of that, for the next 2 years WIMAX might be the best choice in the USA as it has a head start.

post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

The only real advantage that LTE will eventually have is that it is the new worldwide standard. I am not sure how compatible WIMAX will be with the standard. Regardless of that, for the next 2 years WIMAX might be the best choice in the USA as it has a head start.

HSPA is the best choice in the US for speed and coverage, and its a worldwide standard. I dont see WiMAX going too much farther. Sprint will milk it but theyll have to to migrate to LTE[A] if they want to move on. EVen Clearwire is said to be testing LTE right now.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Pegatron rumored to begin CDMA iPhone 4 production in November