or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple readying production of smaller, lighter 11.6-inch MacBook Airs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple readying production of smaller, lighter 11.6-inch MacBook Airs?

post #1 of 141
Thread Starter 
Apple is destined to revamp its super-slim, but soft-selling MacBook Air as early as this fall, wrapping the new model around an LED-backlit display that's nearly two inches smaller than the model available today, according to sources in Taiwan.

Since introducing the 13.3-inch MacBook Air as the "world's thinnest notebook" nearly three years, Apple has watched sales of the ultra-portable trickle off to levels believed to be immaterial to its bottom line. As such, the product line has received little attention from the company, undergoing just two minor revisions in a 29-month span -- the latter of which took place well over a year ago.

At just 0.76 inches at its thickest point, the MacBook Air is undoubtedly slim enough for its target audience of business travelers and those consistently on the go. However, sales of the device suggest that its 13.3-inch footprint and 3 pound carrying weight may be a bit more than that class of customers would prefer -- especially given the resounding success of Apple's more compact and lighter 9.7-inch iPad.

In an effort to make the design of the Air more appealing and further differentiate the notebook from the company's mainstream 13.3-inch MacBook, Apple in 2008 reportedly began experimenting with a partial carbon fiber enclosure (1, 2) that would shave upwards of a 100 grams off its weight.

With plans for such a design failing to materialize over the last two years, it's believed that Apple returned to the drawing board at some point and began crafting a makeover that would deliver both size and weight reductions, further pushing the envelop of ultra-portable notebook computing.

The first evidence to this end arrived earlier this year when an analyst citing sources in Apple's Taiwanese component supply chain revealed that the company was placing orders for parts to fit a slimmer and lighter MacBook Air based around an 11.6-inch LED-lit display and Intel Core i-series ultra-low voltage processor.

On Friday, a report put out by Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes appears to further corroborate such claims, alleging that Apple's primary notebook manufacturer Quanta has landed orders to produce the first 400,000-500,000 11.6-inch "MacBooks" for delivery to the Mac maker before the end of the 2010 calendar year.

No further details were available from the report. Apple last updated the 13.3-inch MacBook Air back in June of 2009 when it dropped the entry-level price to $1,499 from $1,799 for a model with a 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. A $1,799 offering based around a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 128GB solid state drive was also introduced.
post #2 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Since introducing the 13.3-inch MacBook Air as the "world's thinnest notebook" nearly three years, Apple has watched sales of the ultra-portable trickle off to levels believed to be immaterial to its bottom line. As such, the product line has received little attention from the company, undergoing just two minor revisions in a 29-month span -- the latter of which took place well over a year ago.

Those MBA are great looking and well engineered, but man those price points are way too high... $1499 is a lot of money...
post #3 of 141
I'd be interested to see a convertible at this size. iOS4 in slate mode, OSX in laptop mode.

Also the keyboard to dump all the extra keys around the edge, invent some smarter navigation, and keep a decent qwerty.

Still heavy tho.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #4 of 141
4 GBs RAM please!
post #5 of 141
I'd rather see something which looks like a small MacBook Air, but is really an iPad+Keyboard design.

A4 chip, iOS, touch screen, keyboard.
Much thinner than the MacBook Air, much lighter, longer battery life.
Made for Safari, Mail, Pages/Numbers/Keynote, Photo/iMovie.
And very cheap.
post #6 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Those MBA are great looking and well engineered, but man those price points are way too high... $1499 is a lot of money...

They might be too high for you as a consumer, but they arent too high for the HW you get. Even the copycats that followed it were often more experience than the MBA despite using pretty much the same base components, if not lesser components.

Now that Apple has seemingly perfected milling aluminium at low costs this could be possible, though I personally cringe at the thought of Mac OS X running on 16:9 display that is only 11.6 on the diagonal, or a whopping 6.15 height. I guess some will like that, but not me. I Even now on my 13.3 MBP I have unused real estate on the sides but cant get enough vertical space for viewing webpages and other content.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #7 of 141
sweet. pricey, but no one has topped the air. still the most beautiful laptop around.
would love a price drop and better battery life. but would settle for 4gig of ram, more storage and better battery life at same price lol.
post #8 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

sweet. pricey, but no one has topped the air. still the most beautiful laptop around.
would love a price drop and better battery life. but would settle for 4gig of ram, more storage and better battery life at same price lol.

I think its the battery life that is lacking the most, though moving to 4GB would be nice.

I do wonder if the great battery life of the other two Mac notebooks, that really arent really that much heavier for most users, and offer a lot more performance for the price is making the MBA a tough sell. When the 13 MBA arrived it was the only aluminium 13 Mac notebook so I can see if Apple plans to end this size device. That is before we get into Apples eventual exclusion of optical drives from notebooks making them even more MBA-like.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #9 of 141
Sounds good to me!

And the price is worth it if that’s what it takes: with the aluminum case, backlit keys, fast CPU, etc. this is no low-end netbook.

I got the first-gen model, and 3 years later it’s still my primary machine while my iMac gathers dust. It’s not as powerful, but it’s powerful enough... and being so thin and light that I can grab it with one hand and run out the door (or to another room) is something I’m not willing to give up! Now that I’ve tried it, it’s hard to imaging living with any other laptop. They all feel like lugging a brick.

And three years later, my battery life is still great too.

I’d like the glass trackpad, the usual speed boost, and anything that can make it even smaller would be great too! I’d accept a bit smaller screen.

Soon I plan to use my MBA as my fileserver, but do my actual work on the bigger, faster iMac. When I want to go out (or over to the couch), I’ll just grab the fileserver itself... no syncing of documents needed!
post #10 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I'd rather see something which looks like a small MacBook Air, but is really an iPad+Keyboard design.

A4 chip, iOS, touch screen, keyboard.
Much thinner than the MacBook Air, much lighter, longer battery life.
Made for Safari, Mail, Pages/Numbers/Keynote, Photo/iMovie.
And very cheap.

i have no desire to have a laptop running ios or a keyboard on an ipad. a hybrid os x that allowed one to run ios apps would be ideal though.
post #11 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think it’s the battery life that is lacking the most, though moving to 4GB would be nice.

I do wonder if the great battery life of the other two Mac notebooks, that really aren’t really that much heavier for most users, and offer a lot more performance for the price is making the MBA a tough sell. When the 13” MBA arrived it was the only aluminium 13” Mac notebook so I can see if Apple plans to end this size device. That is before we get into Apple’s eventual exclusion of optical drives from notebooks making them even more MBA-like.

i dont' know, when you get the 13" mbp and the air side by side that 1.5 pounds and blockiness really stands out. no doubt the mbp is THE laptop if you want performance and beauty but the air is like art ha.
but wouldn't be suprised if they phase it out or replace it with a ipad+keyboard
post #12 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Do you have the dock on the side? Can you readjust the image size to get more onto the small screen?

Maybe you should get a bigger screen?

steve thought of that too. its called the 27" led display!
post #13 of 141
4GB of ram is essential. Keep the 1280x800 resolution at 16:10, but with a pixel density similar to that of the 15" HD and 17" MBPs.

Like the iPad, please put the ram and flash storage directly on the motherboard in order to reduce size, weight, and cost while increasing reliability. This upgradability silliness is so 20th century.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #14 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i dont' know, when you get the 13" mbp and the air side by side that 1.5 pounds and blockiness really stands out. no doubt the mbp is THE laptop if you want performance and beauty but the air is like art ha.
but wouldn't be suprised if they phase it out or replace it with a ipad+keyboard

If weight was the primarty consideration, then your choice is pretty simple, but if you also factor in price, performance, and battery duration between two aluminum Mac notebooks I can see how 1.5lbs and slightly thicker case might be less important, and thus make the 13”MBA less optimal than it used to be for less people.



PS: I just heard from my unnamed source in China that Apple’s 11.6” MBA will not use Core or Atom CPUs, but instead use two dual-core ARM processors dubbed by Apple as “A5”, yet will still use Mac OS X. See, making stuff up is easy.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But it shares important aspects with netbooks too: 2 Gigs of RAM, small screen, smaller keyboard. It strikes me as a high-quality netbook - limited usability, with a tiny form factor.

it differs from a regular netbook in important respects, however: It cannot play HD movies via HDMI on your home theater system, it cannot access regular web video without crashing, no TV Tuner, etc.

i must be the only person that doesn't care about playing movies on his laptop. not putting you down just saying that it never enters my mind when thinking about a new laptop or portable device. i watch tons of netflix on home imac but nothing much on the portables.
post #16 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If weight was the primarty consideration, then your choice is pretty simple, but if you also factor in price, performance, and battery duration between two aluminum Mac notebooks I can see how 1.5lbs and slightly thicker case might be less important, and thus make the 13MBA less optimal than it used to be for less people.

agree. if you want to hedge your bets, go mbp.
i have turned over a new leaf which is an old leaf....desktop is now important for power and laptop/mobile isn't. i used to get big powerful laptops to replace desktop but switched back. so 3pounds is my limit. i swore nothing over 3 will be in my bag....ha.
post #17 of 141
I liked the size and weight. What I didn't like was the grey lines running across the screen. Apple refuesed to acknowledge this was an issue, so I returned and got a MacBook Pro instead.
post #18 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i must be the only person that doesn't care about playing movies on his laptop. not putting you down just saying that it never enters my mind when thinking about a new laptop or portable device. i watch tons of netflix on home imac but nothing much on the portables.

Yes you are certainly not alone, but most frequent business travellers do use their laptops to watch movies and tv shows.
post #19 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i must be the only person that doesn't care about playing movies on his laptop. not putting you down just saying that it never enters my mind when thinking about a new laptop or portable device. i watch tons of netflix on home imac but nothing much on the portables.

I watch nearly all my media on my notebook, but I still want it to be an excellent way to read text.


Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

agree. if you want to hedge your bets, go mbp.
i have turned over a new leaf which is an old leaf....desktop is now important for power and laptop/mobile isn't. i used to get big powerful laptops to replace desktop but switched back. so 3pounds is my limit. i swore nothing over 3 will be in my bag....ha.

You moving to a Desktop plus Tablet combo?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #20 of 141
Any word on internal 3G?
post #21 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I watch nearly all my media on my notebook, but I still want it to be an excellent way to read text.



You moving to a Desktop plus Tablet combo?

ipad now, maybe air if they do refresh.
i love the imac. the work i do on it i can't stand to try and do on a small screen so desktop at work and home and ipad for everything else. i love that when i pick up my bag i feel like i am forgetting something cuz it is so light

but i do have an android phone. not because i think it is better than iphone but for a small feature set and philosophical disagreement with the iphone/att thing.
the iphone 4 display is a marvel. i get my android phone next to a coworkers iphone 4 and the difference is obvious.
post #22 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i have no desire to have a laptop running ios or a keyboard on an ipad. a hybrid os x that allowed one to run ios apps would be ideal though.

Just to be clear - I like the iPad. I like MacBooks.

If I could chose between 2 devices, identically priced, identically sized, same battery life etc - I'd choose the one with OSX. In that I think we are totally agreed.

The only reason I'd like to see an "iBookAir" (bad name) - or a laptop running iOS - is because an A4-based touch laptop could be smaller/lighter/cheaper. And it would do enough for a great many people.

So if you had to choose between a $1200 MacBookAir (it has to be more expensive than the MacBook if it has the same processing power, right?) or a $600 iBookAir... would your interests change?
post #23 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Any word on internal 3G?

I was literally just about to ask that. To me, it makes alot of sense for apple to include an internal 3g cabability to the air to further differentiate it from their other laptops. The air is clearly targeted for the business type who wants a small portable fully functional laptop. For these people 3g is most likely a must.
post #24 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Sounds good to me!

And the price is worth it if that’s what it takes: with the aluminum case, backlit keys, fast CPU, etc. this is no low-end netbook.

I got the first-gen model, and 3 years later it’s still my primary machine while my iMac gathers dust. It’s not as powerful, but it’s powerful enough... and being so thin and light that I can grab it with one hand and run out the door (or to another room) is something I’m not willing to give up! Now that I’ve tried it, it’s hard to imaging living with any other laptop. They all feel like lugging a brick.

And three years later, my battery life is still great too.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've probably logged more hours on my first gen MBA than any other mac since I got out of college (for context it was my 11th mac; now up to #13). I have neck/back issues so I notice every pound when I'm lugging things around. I can't see myself going back to a larger laptop. On the other hand, while I'll likely get an iPad soon, iOS isn't a replacement for MacOS X for "real work." The only reason I might not snap up a new MBA when its released is because my old one has nothing wrong with it.

Actually that's not completely true. The darn thing overheats doing video for longer than a few minutes or video iChat. The latter rather sucks when I'm out of town. I'm pretty sure they fixed that with later models.
post #25 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Just to be clear - I like the iPad. I like MacBooks.

If I could chose between 2 devices, identically priced, identically sized, same battery life etc - I'd choose the one with OSX. In that I think we are totally agreed.

The only reason I'd like to see an "iBookAir" (bad name) - or a laptop running iOS - is because an A4-based touch laptop could be smaller/lighter/cheaper. And it would do enough for a great many people.

So if you had to choose between a $1200 MacBookAir (it has to be more expensive than the MacBook if it has the same processing power, right?) or a $600 iBookAir... would your interests change?

right now i woud say stick with my ipad rather than buy another one with keyboard. and the only reason is the web browser! i have to have a full blown web browser to fully function. i would buy an ios laptop for 600 dollars in a heartbeat if i could run google chrome on it. i have tried safari and its like IE in that i just cannot get used to either of them. i was firefox all the way but now chrome.
right now i will be using the ipad and run into a site that doesn't work and have to get up and get on my imac. eagerly waiting for the day when that will end. not a slight against apple its pervasive on all the mobile devices (do they all use apples webkit?)
post #26 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But it shares important aspects with netbooks too: 2 Gigs of RAM, small screen, smaller keyboard. It strikes me as a high-quality netbook - limited usability, with a tiny form factor.

it differs from a regular netbook in important respects, however: It cannot play HD movies via HDMI on your home theater system, it cannot access regular web video without crashing, no TV Tuner option, etc.

Are you talking about the rumored next MBA or the current one? The current one has a full-sized screen and full-sized keyboard. No "netbook" compromises in those areas. Those are important. I've owned all the "mini" PowerBooks/MacBooks (PB 100, PB 2400) and over the long haul the cramped keyboards and small screens get annoying (at least for me). So if the next MBA compromises in those areas I probably won't be interested.
post #27 of 141
Please be cheaper.
post #28 of 141
I disagree with those suggesting that the MBA should be made less expensive, because that necessarily means it will be less capable, which means that it will be hard to compete with the iPad.

I say go in the opposite direction. Dump the magnetic hard drive completely. Make it SSD only, and fast SSD. Give it more RAM and the fastest CPU/GPU you can possibly put in the form factor. Give it an IPS, LED-backlit display. And while you're at it, give it a single light-peak connection to a docking station (but no other ports -- that will freak people out!).

And make the case out of that liquid metal stuff... and have a built-in 3G radio.

Then charge $2000 for it.
post #29 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i would buy an ios laptop for 600 dollars in a heartbeat if i could run google chrome on it. i have tried safari and its like IE in that i just cannot get used to either of them. i was firefox all the way but now chrome.
right now i will be using the ipad and run into a site that doesn't work and have to get up and get on my imac. eagerly waiting for the day when that will end. not a slight against apple its pervasive on all the mobile devices (do they all use apples webkit?)

If it's getting used to it - there are options.
Unfortunately they're all based on webkit (as is Chrome, right?) so if a site doesnt work that doesn't help.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15706...or_iphone.html
(sorry... I know these are iPhone browsers, I'm not sure if iPad equivalents are being made).
post #30 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

If it's getting used to it - there are options.
Unfortunately they're all based on webkit (as is Chrome, right?) so if a site doesnt work that doesn't help.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/15706...or_iphone.html
(sorry... I know these are iPhone browsers, I'm not sure if iPad equivalents are being made).

if i was a mobile me user i would probably use safari (maybe) but i use google apps enterprise and i run chrome on os x, win, and ubuntu so i have it all nice and matching/configured. love it. wish i could have it on ipad too.
wouldn't be surprised if chrome and safari were using same code. some similarities there.
hate IE. hate it, hate it.
post #31 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustReelFilms View Post

Please be cheaper.

Cheap would be great, but it would be just as feasible to have a cheap basemodel with 2gb ram, 64gb SSD, etc and be upgradable to 4gb ram, 256gb SSD, 3G chip..
post #32 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I'd be interested to see a convertible at this size. iOS4 in slate mode, OSX in laptop mode....

Never happen.

Convertibles are just bad design. Apple will never make something like that.
post #33 of 141
My perfect solution for the new Air would be a combo OS X and iOS. With touch screen that can be turned in all directions, you could hold it like a book and use your finger to navigate the browser, or twist the screen around to a tablet form factor. You could use is as a laptop or as an iPad. It needs Facetime, AirPrint, AirPlay, and a reversible screen. iOS could be a icon in the OS X dock just touch it and you are instantly in iOS. Another option would be to have iOS as the primary OS and just replace the Spotlight search page in iOS with OS X, so you would just swipe left from the home screen and you would be in OS X, and swipe right from the OS X home screen and you are back to iOS. I would want the touch screen to work in OS X as well, but I would still want a touchpad and the ability to use a mouse if needed. With AirPrint and AirPlay it would not need many external ports. I think all MacBooks will eventually include all of the above.
post #34 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

But it shares important aspects with netbooks too: 2 Gigs of RAM, small screen, smaller keyboard. It strikes me as a high-quality netbook - limited usability, with a tiny form factor.

It is a sort of "high quality netbook," but this new model sounds like it's more exactly that than the first one.

The current MacBook Air however is much faster than most netbooks (even though it isn't exactly a rocket itself), much more stable, has a bigger screen, a full-size keyboard, etc. The most popular netbooks in the last while at the University where I work would be the Dell minis and the MacBook Air runs rings around them performance wise and usability wise.

If we are honest, the MacBook Airs biggest flaw is probably it's almost complete lack of toughness. Like many many Mac products, the ad copy stresses how tough and high end the components are, but in reality, it's a precious little delicate jewel that is likely to break suddenly if not handled with velvet gloves. Same with iPhone 4. Ad copy says "special steel" and "hardened glass" but in reality if you drop it it shatters like a Glass Goblin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

... it differs from a regular netbook in important respects, however: It cannot play HD movies via HDMI on your home theater system, it cannot access regular web video without crashing, no TV Tuner option, etc.

This is not accurate.

The MacBook Air struggles with Flash video on the web, and stutters a lot when trying to play it, but it doesn't typically or habitually crash. And when we are talking about Flash video on Mac OS-X, there is also the factor of Adobe's horrible software to factor in.

Also, while it's nice to use your portable to play videos, we are comparing computers here not VCRs. The fact that it doesn't integrate with your TV set or have a built in TV tuner of it's own is hardly a reasonable criticism of a laptop design. Those are nice "extras" that it doesn't have, but it's just not fair to criticise it's design over their lack of inclusion. Most laptops don't have that, let alone most netbooks.
post #35 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Never happen.

Convertibles are just bad design. Apple will never make something like that.

Apple did apply for a patent for a convertible laptop.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/08...igns-for-macs/
post #36 of 141
Quote from "patentlyapple.com" dated Aug 23, 2010

"The MacBook Tablet

Apple's patent figure 11 is obviously a representation of a MacBook that could transition into a tablet and in doing so takes on the transition process as described pertaining to the iMac Touch. Meaning, as the display of the MacBook is turned into tablet mode – OS X will instantly transition into iOS mode.

The patent clarifies this by stating that "the display could also be oriented for touch input. For example, the display 1130 may be rotated and laid flat against the keyboard 1134, with the backside of the display facing down against the keyboard so that the display screen is facing up, in an orientation for touch input."

Update: Below you'll find patent FIG. 6 which clearly illustrates that in "Desktop Mode," the "UI" will be a current version of the Mac OS: OS X. This desktop is used with a mouse (#619) and keyboard.

Apple's patent came to light at the World Intellectual Property Organization on January 14, 2010 while most of us were getting hyped up for the arrival of the iPad. The name of the patent is "Transitioning between Modes of Input" and published in 2010 under number 006210 A1.

I think that this is simply brilliant and I'd buy one of these if they came out for this Christmas as was rumored earlier this year in Taiwan. Now it's your turn. What are your thoughts on the proposed iMac Touch and MacBook Tablet?"

For full article with diagrams here is a link (scroll about halfway down the page):
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...mac-touch.html
post #37 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Just to be clear - I like the iPad. I like MacBooks.

If I could chose between 2 devices, identically priced, identically sized, same battery life etc - I'd choose the one with OSX. In that I think we are totally agreed.

The only reason I'd like to see an "iBookAir" (bad name) - or a laptop running iOS - is because an A4-based touch laptop could be smaller/lighter/cheaper. And it would do enough for a great many people.

So if you had to choose between a $1200 MacBookAir (it has to be more expensive than the MacBook if it has the same processing power, right?) or a $600 iBookAir... would your interests change?

I like the idea of the air and ipad merging. I know there are MANY objectors but for me it makes sense. The iPad is increasingly being used for business generally and it seems logical for the air to be where the two OS' finally merge. It is a niche product on which Apple may feel it can experiment. There are limitations to IOS but it is a work in progress. For people who truly need that extra power the 13" MBP is an awesome machine. A repackaged iPad would, as you say, be smaller/lighter/cheaper and hopefully also have better connectivity along with a keyboard built in. An IOS NetBook.
post #38 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I'd be interested to see a convertible at this size. iOS4 in slate mode, OSX in laptop mode.

Also the keyboard to dump all the extra keys around the edge, invent some smarter navigation, and keep a decent qwerty.

Still heavy tho.

Aboslutely. Would be great, with one tweak, I wouldn't mind the iOS in laptop config. Just have a large touch pad with a cursor on the screen when in this mode. I understand that may not work for games etc. but games would just require it be in 'slate' mode
(IMO-Apple should have called it iSlate, iPad is so lame; but alls well that ends well and iPads sell well... brown cow, sorry, just rambling.).
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Reply
post #39 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I like the idea of the air and ipad merging. I know there are MANY objectors but for me it makes sense. The iPad is increasingly being used for business generally and it seems logical for the air to be where the two OS' finally merge. It is a niche product on which Apple may feel it can experiment. There are limitations to IOS but it is a work in progress. For people who truly need that extra power the 13" MBP is an awesome machine. A repackaged iPad would, as you say, be smaller/lighter/cheaper and hopefully also have better connectivity along with a keyboard built in. An IOS NetBook.

It's not happening. The Air would be merged with the macbook before the iPad. The Air is supposed to be a full fledged notebook in an impossibly thin shell. As the macbook shrinks, the distinction between the two is blurred.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #40 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I like the idea of the air and ipad merging. I know there are MANY objectors but for me it makes sense. The iPad is increasingly being used for business generally and it seems logical for the air to be where the two OS' finally merge.

The two OS won't merge. Period.

Quote:
It is a niche product on which Apple may feel it can experiment.

Here's the thing: Apple is a company that "experiments" within their labs. Not on the market. When they place a product in the market, they don't do it to use actual people as guinea pigs for their crazy ideas and see what fits. They take that hard work for themselves.

Quote:
There are limitations to IOS but it is a work in progress. For people who truly need that extra power the 13" MBP is an awesome machine. A repackaged iPad would, as you say, be smaller/lighter/cheaper and hopefully also have better connectivity along with a keyboard built in. An IOS NetBook.

It already is an iOS netbook. It's better than most netbooks right now. And its OS will be better. It will be a walled garden, and many people will not like it. We will see how much "walling" it will have as we see it progress towards infinity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple readying production of smaller, lighter 11.6-inch MacBook Airs?