or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Chinese site claims design of Apple's 7-inch iPad is 'finished'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chinese site claims design of Apple's 7-inch iPad is 'finished' - Page 2

post #41 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

... from a usability standpoint, ever try typing on an iPad in landscape orientation while holding it? You need one hand to hold it and you are left to pecking out text (or any other interface interaction) with the other. I've got pretty big hands and I can't reach the entire screen with my thumbs if holding it in two hands like you'd do with an iPhone. The onscreen keyboard is ridiculously large and inefficient because you have to move your hand around so much to reach all the keys. And if you try to hold it in both hands to type in portrait mode, the center of gravity is too high and it wants to flip out of your hands. ...

I totally agree with your conclusions, but not with the bit about using the iPad in portrait mode.

If you are a writer and want to use the iPad for a portable writing tool (something they advertise it for), you are basically out of luck because it isn't really possible to type efficiently on the current iPad in *any* orientation while still being mobile.

That being said, I don't find the oft-quoted "flipping over" issue really exists. Thumb typing in portrait mode is simply the most effective and fastest way to type except for the option of attaching a real keyboard. The problem I have on the iPad is that it hurts your hands (a lot!), to try to thumb type on it. I have very large hands and it's a stretch to hold it at all let alone reach over to the centre keys. It never once has seemed in danger of flipping out of my hands though.

I think that the main reason Apple never shows anyone in their advertisements typing on it in portrait mode is to forestall the inevitable lawsuits by people who hurt their hands trying. if this thing is real, I predict it will be marketed as an iPad "Pro", the emphasis will be on productivity, and all the commercials will show people thumb typing like crazy on it.
post #42 of 113
Not a reliable source of Information. So at this time the 7" ipad continues to be strictly rumor.
post #43 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... If you are a writer and want to use the iPad for a portable writing tool (something they advertise it for), you are basically out of luck because it isn't really possible to type efficiently on the current iPad in *any* orientation while still being mobile. ...

Well, I'm not a writer, and maybe we have a different idea of efficiency, but I find the iPad works great for landscape typing, especially at the angle the Apple case puts it, resting on your lap, a coffee table, or any horizontal surface.
post #44 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

7" in a 4:3 aspect ratio for sure. There are plenty of photos showing people palming 7" widescreen tablets.

From my perspective, a 7" iPad in a 4:3 form factor doesn't really provide much benefit when compared to the 10" version. It won't really be much more portable, and offering a widescreen iPad doesn't make sense given the success of the 4:3 model. I can't help but think these 7" iPad rumors are false.

I'm not buying into it yet either. I made the point earlier (maybe in another thread) that medical personnel are already lugging around laptops and netbooks. My own doctor does that now. An iPad would be no more difficult to carry around than a pile of medical charts, which they've done for decades without breaking their arms. A damn sight less difficult, really, if all the charts they need are on the iPad. It's also a no-brainer to design a simple pocket slipcase with a shoulder strap.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #45 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I'd break the world into two important categories.

There are the cool and groovy hipsters, who simply don't own or wear Jackets of any form. "Pocketable" means "jeans pocketable". Anything bigger goes into a cool satchel type thing.

And there are the besuited business types, who'd not be seen dead with half a kilo of electronics clanging around ruining the line of their Armani's. Remember the Newon!

There are those who fit into neither category of course.

C.

i can see how a 7"ish ipad would be wonderful for certain work areas. waiters/waitresses, hospitals evidently, anywhere you have to be mobile and need to slide the device in a big pocket from time to time. would love if you could go to stores and ask 'do you have such and such' and not have to follow the salesperson around looking for a terminal or the actual product they could just whip out the ipad and look it up. the 10" is a bit large for that type of thing.
but all in all why would one not like apple to put out another ipad? the more the merrier!
post #46 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I'm not a writer, and maybe we have a different idea of efficiency, but I find the iPad works great for landscape typing, especially at the angle the Apple case puts it, resting on your lap, a coffee table, or any horizontal surface.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. By "mobile" I mean on the go. If you have to put it on a table to use it, it isn't "mobile typing" by my definition. You might as well use a laptop in that case (IMO of course).

Previous to the debut of the iPad, it was widely considered that the main (somewhat insurmountable) problems with tablet computing were of course weight, portability, and the need for a stylus, but also the ability to use it standing up or walking, and the ability to hold it in one hand comfortably for any length of time. In other words, portability/mobility a la Apple's Newton device. The iPad is great, but it totally fails to solving some of these problems.

You can "sorta" hold it in one hand, but not for long. It's super light, but still not *that* light. You can kind of use it while walking/standing, but you have to put it on a table top and pretend it's a laptop most of the time etc. The only real big win is the multi-touch means you don't need a stylus, although even there, you really do if you want to use it for any kind of serious art-work.

I'm hot for a 7" tablet, because it basically solves all of these issues except for the stylus thing.

I write huge amounts on my iPhone and I'm almost as fast in portrait mode as I am on a keyboard. The iPad has fallen down for me and after three weeks of daily testing as my main writing device, I have now relegated it to "comic book reader" status and hardly use it.

If Apple *doesn't* create an iPad this size, I will probably be buying a (shudder) Galaxy Tab running the craptastic Android OS. I'm tired of waiting since I've been waiting for this kind of thing since about 1990.
post #47 of 113
No doubt Apple is working on a 7" as well as other form factors.
post #48 of 113
Not gonna happen??

Just think - what is the fastest growing part of the iTunes store?

Answer = games, games, games.

SJ must be fed up with all the roadblocks from the TV/Film companies. The games companies are happy to make content for iTunes. No problemo Steve. Just look at the last few SJ keynotes - see any media companies on stage? No I didn't they were games people and pro business apps people coz that's where Apple see the main sellers.

So why 6/7" iPad - coz it would be a cool portable games machine. Lighter and more portable than the current iPad.
post #49 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... You can "sorta" hold it in one hand, but not for long. It's super light, but still not *that* light. You can kind of use it while walking/standing, but you have to put it on a table top and pretend it's a laptop most of the time etc. The only real big win is the multi-touch means you don't need a stylus, although even there, you really do if you want to use it for any kind of serious art-work. ...

a) I don't have any problem typing one-handed while standing. sure it's slower than two-handed typing, but it's not terrible, and the arm holding it doesn't get tired, even though I don't spend a lot of time at the gym.

b) I don't think standing and walking is a time when one is seriously productive at typing in any form factor. when you want to actually be productive at something typing related, you need to stop and focus or you just won't be, so I don't see this a a real downside of the iPad
post #50 of 113
Apple will not only make this 7" iPad. They will have to make even more products.
They need to go from 30 products to 50 products quick. They don't want to be to embarrassed in being the biggest Market Cap company in the world with just so few items being sold.

Of course Apple will want to sell a 7" iPad. They want to have a WiFi capable anything in as many peoples hands as soon as possible.

I think they will be adjusting their prices downward to start hurting ALL the competition. How many other companies are set up NOW to take advantage of this new WiFi coming up real soon.

Google will probably spend some money in getting as many people as possible on this. Microsoft
will also want to stay close on this to have their Bing Thing stay close to Google. ( I can't understand what Dell, HP, and the others will benefit from this )

As far as Apple. They will benefit more than anyone else. With FaceTime even the iPhone will become closer to a Touch in a few years.
post #51 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

... [Apple] need to go from 30 products to 50 products quick. They don't want to be to embarrassed in being the biggest Market Cap company in the world with just so few items being sold. ...

I don't really think they seem too embarrassed at this point by the strategy that got them there. I think they've realized the truth that too much choice isn't really a good thing, that too much choice just makes it harder to make the right choice.
post #52 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. By "mobile" I mean on the go. If you have to put it on a table to use it, it isn't "mobile typing" by my definition. You might as well use a laptop in that case (IMO of course).

It would be nice if the device didn't huts detect x|y orientation but also had sensors that could determine how you were holding it so it could place a curved thumb accessible keyboard on the sides. On the iPhone and touch rhumb typing on a standard keyboard layout is fine as it's small enough to travel halfway or more across the keyboard area. As I'm sure you know, this is far accessible on the iPad.

Of course, there are many other things that need to happen first.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #53 of 113
You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple. I have all iOS devices, pending delivery of my new Apple TV, so i'm a big fan and i'd love to see Apple go down this route.

Question is, would it cannibalise iPad sales whilst it's still gaining momentum?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #54 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple. I have all iOS devices, pending delivery of my new Apple TV, so i'm a big fan and i'd love to see Apple go down this route.

Question is, would it cannibalise iPad sales whilst it's still gaining momentum?

A 7" iPad would definitely cannibalize iPad sales. However, with a contract requirement, I don't think the Galaxy Tab is going anywhere but to hardcore, Android-loving geeks.
post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

You know every time i look at a video of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab i think it could hurt Apple.

I'm not so sure. They copied the iPad pretty thoroughly but all those fine touches and attention to detail just aren't there after watching the 10 minute video yesterday. Plus, they just copy the ecosystem Apple created. Then there is the prices. Unless it's for a specific need that the ipad doesnt offer or for an irrational hatred od Apple I can easily see someone paying for the iPad over equivalent price points stated by other tablet makers.

Quote:
Question is, would it cannibalise iPad sales whilst it's still gaining momentum?

Always better to cannabalize your product than to let someone else do it. It's possible Apple t feedback from hundreds of businesses saying the iPad is too big, thus they are looking at competitors, and their number crunchers said this could hurt their dominance... but I doubt it
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #56 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

A 7" iPad would definitely cannibalize iPad sales. However, with a contract requirement, I don't think the Galaxy Tab is going anywhere but to hardcore, Android-loving geeks.

i think the samsung tab sales will make the nexus one look like a mega hit.
post #57 of 113
RIM is coming out with a 7" tablet next month. This is probably what the employee is referring to...

I would welcome a 7" Apple tablet. Current size is a bit big to be portable without being noticeable.
post #58 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

There is no logical reason not to have a 3.5" iPod, 7" iPad and a 10" iPad all at the same price. It is not like people are asking for a 7" iPad because the 10" is too expensive and the iPod is too cheap. They want a larger screen than a iPod and a smaller lighter device than a 10" iPad. It could make perfect sense to make the 7" versions the same price as equivalent 10" versions and let people choose the form factor that fits their needs. Much like the Droid2 and DroidX.

Exactly.

The screen on the iPhone is too small. People here don't seem to have noticed that ours is an aging society and eyesight is one of the first things to degrade as one gets into middle age.

The iPhone requires an expensive call/data plan and the iPod touch doesn't offer one. That leaves a gaping hole for people who want information on the run, but don't want to be or can't afford to be locked into an iPhone plan.

The iPad is a great device with the option of 3G data and the kind of font sizes that even older eyes can cope with, but it's big and heavy. It can't go with you unless you're willing to carry a bag for it or tuck it under your arm like a book. As one medical professional mentioned it's too big for the pocket on his coat and those are really big pockets.

Thus a mid-size device that offers 3G data and fits in many pockets makes perfect sense. I'll be first in line the day Apple offers one for sale.
post #59 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

They need to go from 30 products to 50 products quick. They don't want to be to embarrassed in being the biggest Market Cap company in the world with just so few items being sold.

This is your puzzling concept for today.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I sure hope they wake up and make it 16x9.

If the price is right, the aspect ratio is right and it will be able to view 'net videos, I'd be interested.

I have to agree as it is right up there with the lack of RAM as a reason not to buy. Videos are of course one important aspect but the smaller size is important for other uses too. The aspect ratio is much more useful in that size for E-Books and magazines/newspapers. Portability is nothing to sneeze at either. I just hope Apple isn't stingy with the Flash storage.
post #61 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I have to agree as it is right up there with the lack of RAM as a reason not to buy. Videos are of course one important aspect but the smaller size is important for other uses too. The aspect ratio is much more useful in that size for E-Books and magazines/newspapers. Portability is nothing to sneeze at either. I just hope Apple isn't stingy with the Flash storage.

post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

There is no logical reason not to have a 3.5" iPod, 7" iPad and a 10" iPad all at the same price. It is not like people are asking for a 7" iPad because the 10" is too expensive and the iPod is too cheap. They want a larger screen than a iPod and a smaller lighter device than a 10" iPad. It could make perfect sense to make the 7" versions the same price as equivalent 10" versions and let people choose the form factor that fits their needs. Much like the Droid2 and DroidX.

Two entirely different devices so pricing is no issue. It is no different than Ford having several vehicles in the $20000 range or the $30000 dollar range. The sticker may be the same but the markets served are different.

Frankly I'm totally surprised that anybody out there thinks pricing is an issue to even bring up. It is your competition that you have to worry about.
post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Frankly I'm totally surprised that anybody out there thinks pricing is an issue to even bring up. It is your competition that you have to worry about.

Because people with no business background or marketing training seem to think they know what market segmentation means and they have had this long held belief that two different products must have different prices that denote which one is "better". In the Apple world, better seems to be a factor of inches so that any product witha 10" screen must cost more than another product with a 7" screen and less than the products with a 13" screen. This makes no sense at all but there are a lot of people on this forum who accept this as gospel.

From Apple's perspective, the question is will having a 7" option expand demand and sales enough to justify the cost of developing a second form factor and the costs of selling and supporting another set of products. Some people will pick one size or the other, and some people will only buy an iPad if the size they want is available. The second group are the only people that count for this decision. If Apple thinks there are enough doctors, restaurants, book readers, and other groups who will not buy 10" iPads but who would find a slimmer 7" model to be very useful, they will make it. If they feel the right price for such a unit is $499, they will price it at $499 and not worry about the price in relation to a 10" model that certainly has a different set of strengths and weaknesses to different potential customers.
post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post


LMAO lol:

You've set the trend. Can we have this in our smilies pleeze?
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #65 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

I'll ask the obvious question for anyone not familiar with Clayton Christensen's book, The Innovator's Solution ... What job does a 7" tablet form factor do? Or, what role would that size play?

See this is your first problem, you are think too hard.
Quote:
The iPad's 1024x768 role is obvious ... people "hire" an iPad to do the jobs they'd rather not do on a laptop ... causal games, casual content creation, consume video, tweet, blog, email, balance their chequebook, etc. The screen real estate, battery life, form factor etc all make this possible.

All of those are possible on an iPhone or a laptop so what is your point. I'm responding to you right now on an iPhone, that doesn't mean it is ideal nor that I "hired" it to respond to you. Rather it is the most convient device I have at the moment.
Quote:
An iPod touch or iPhone can't do some of these things as efficiently, that is, low enough cost of entry barrier to make me hire it do to those tasks.

Cost of entry has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Shooting out a decent sized blog post on the iPod touch is posible, but painful. Ditto web surfing. And I'd far rather read my newsgroups on an iPad, rather than the (comparatively) tiny screen of a touch or iPhone.

Admittedly iPhones screen is a little tough on some sights. However on the vast majority of the sights out there you don't need a 4:3 screen. If anything text comes in columns best read with a wides screen device in vertical mode. Think about how text is delivered on newspapers and magazines. Or take a look at the TEXT on a sheet of letter paper.

The fact is a 7" wide screen tablet would deliver a better reading experience in vertical mode than the current iPad.
Quote:
I'm not convinced the 7" form factor brings any efficiency to these sorts of jobs that the iPad perfectly fulfils.

This one sentence is what set me off as it highlights a common issue, iPad is not perfect. It isn't even close. When you use a word like perfect and apply it to something like the entire iPad then people will rightfully dismiss you as a crack pot.

A 7" inch device can't be perfect either, it is however a smarter choice for many people simply due to portability. In many ways my iPhone is a compromise too, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been one of my best investments. A seven incher can be seen in the same light, a compromise that will work really well for many users.
Quote:
The screen real estate and keyboard issues alone may make it a bit better than a touch-sized device, but I'm not sure enough that most won't go for the existing iPad factor instead.

Apple only has to sell enough to make a profit. Well that and attract enough developers to leverage the platform. In any event I think you mis a couple of real issues here as iPad isn't portable, at least not in the sense that it can be dropped into a pocket.
Quote:

That's my 20 years of design and marketing input, anyway, worth about $0.02.

If you really have 20 years of marketing under the belt you would realize that there is a wide variety of needs out there. Using your logic, expressed above, Apple would never of had innovated the iPod line up. After all if somebody at Apple didn't think there was a market for different sized iPods we wouldn't have the current lineup.

Frankly I don't get this liberal attitude of one size fits all. It can be likened to the environmentalist and their insistance that everybody should drive an ultra compact car. That of course doesn't work because different people have different needs. If you are 6'-6" tall such vehicles may be impossible or you may have other needs. The market can decide which is profitable.

Right now the market is voteing Apple's iPad for a multitude of reasons. We have remember though that there is one big fact here, it is the only viable device available.


Dave
post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

LMAO lol:

You've set the trend. Can we have this in our smilies pleeze?

Well, I can't take credit, which goes to nvidia2008, based on someone else's suggestion.
post #67 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Because people with no business background or marketing training seem to think they know what market segmentation means and they have had this long held belief that two different products must have different prices that denote which one is "better". In the Apple world, better seems to be a factor of inches so that any product witha 10" screen must cost more than another product with a 7" screen and less than the products with a 13" screen. This makes no sense at all but there are a lot of people on this forum who accept this as gospel.

I don't get it either!

What is even stranger is that people focus on this issue but ignore other pricing issues that are similar in nature. For example the huge jump in Touch prices for another 8GB of flash storage.
Quote:
From Apple's perspective, the question is will having a 7" option expand demand and sales enough to justify the cost of developing a second form factor and the costs of selling and supporting another set of products. Some people will pick one size or the other, and some people will only buy an iPad if the size they want is available. The second group are the only people that count for this decision. If Apple thinks there are enough doctors, restaurants, book readers, and other groups who will not buy 10" iPads but who would find a slimmer 7" model to be very useful, they will make it. If they feel the right price for such a unit is $499, they will price it at $499 and not worry about the price in relation to a 10" model that certainly has a different set of strengths and weaknesses to different potential customers.

Yes Apple has to be convinced the market is worthwhile to pursue. Personally I see demand being greater in the 7" segment than it is with the current iPad. The appeal should be broader than the largeness of the iPad.

Whatever Apple decides isn't what is important in this discussion though. Rather I'm surprised at how many dismiss alternatively sized devices out of hand. I can actually see a range of devices in the <= 7" range and even a bigger iPhone being added to the line up.



Dave
post #68 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, I can't take credit, which goes to nvidia2008, based on someone else's suggestion.

I can't say I'm a fan of the jester jesture.

1) It quotes the, um, jester.
2) That lovable image could easily appear as if you are validating the offending poster's comment if they aren't aware of the reason you are using it?
3) The image without the well reasoned reply could easily have the effect of making you look like the "troll", when that is not the case.

Therefore I much prefer either completely ignoring them or having a well crafted reply that will do several things: bring a sense of reason to a hijacked thread and be witty so we can laugh at their expense.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochias View Post

Could someone (swtchdtomak) tell me what '"just sayin'" means, after, um, saying something. If it means that you are disengaged or in denial and therefor don't mean the words, why are you saying them? If you do mean them, why are you lying about it?

And while your at it, tell me what "my bad" means. Just because that blond chick says it, now everyone is saying it. I mean, come on folks
post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... Therefore I much prefer either completely ignoring them or having a well crafted reply that will do several things: bring a sense of reason to a hijacked thread and be witty so we can laugh at their expense.

Well, with certain posters, any reply is a reply wasted, so, the jester provides an alternative to just ignoring them or wasting time with them. The original suggestion, if I recall, was to just think of these people as jesters, rather than trolls, and, I think the graphic gives them that little tip of the hat that is their due.
post #71 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, with certain posters, any reply is a reply wasted, so, the jester provides an alternative to just ignoring them or wasting time with them. The original suggestion, if I recall, was to just think of these people as jesters, rather than trolls, and, I think the graphic gives them that little tip of the hat that is their due.

Then I suggest an intermediary suggestion between banning them where the mods add a passive-aggressive title in place of Registered User.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't get it either!

What is even stranger is that people focus on this issue but ignore other pricing issues that are similar in nature. For example the huge jump in Touch prices for another 8GB of flash storage.

Or why Apple bothers having a 15" MBP when the 17" version can already do everything the 15" one does (which is apparently the only criteria for a previous poster).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes Apple has to be convinced the market is worthwhile to pursue. Personally I see demand being greater in the 7" segment than it is with the current iPad. The appeal should be broader than the largeness of the iPad.

I was thinking the same thing, that if/when a 7" iPad comes out it will soon outsell the 10" version.

Maybe Apple knows the 10" iPad is a little bigger than ideal. Perhaps higher density screens (to set/maintain the desired resolutions at a smaller size) were too expensive at the time, and they wanted to get it out the door to beat the competition. Maybe they figured the larger form factor would be more appealing to the magazine and newspaper publishers they wanted to get on board. Or perhaps they just wanted to leave room for improvement... you know how Apple loves to shrink things!
post #73 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

I sure hope they wake up and make it 16x9.

If the price is right, the aspect ratio is right and it will be able to view 'net videos, I'd be interested.

I sure hope not. Reading and web in portrait orientation on a 16:9 ratio would be awful. I'd rather have a ratio that works for 90% of the iPad's functions and have letter boxing on the rare occasion I watch a widescreen movie on such a small screen.
post #74 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Then I suggest an intermediary suggestion between banning them where the mods add a passive-aggressive title in place of Registered User.

How about if they add the Jester icon under "Registered User"?

But really, is it any different than replying with a or a ? I don't think so, just has a different meaning.
post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

How about if they add the Jester icon under "Registered User"?

But really, is it any different than replying with a or a ? I don't think so, just has a different meaning.

I’m not sure if that is possible with the vBulletin default settings, but if it is I then vote for BioHazard symbol.

Or Goatse as then everyone would have on their ignore lists. :barf:
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #76 of 113
700-500 grams...

The two heaviest items are the battery and the screen. The latter also consumes the most juice. So reduce screen size and you can reduce the weight considerably.
post #77 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


Don't get any weird ideas, but for once, I agree with this. 1.5:1 is a good middle ground for the general gamut of media the devices will display, and it perfectly fits iPhone apps too. Making a device 16:9 just for one media type (widescreen videos) is unfortunate because it needlessly cramps every other use in my opinion because the smallest dimension is just too small for other uses.

The one advantage of 16:9 is that it is skinnier - fits better into a pocket. Not sure what exact dimensions would be, but true in any case.
post #78 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

The one advantage of 16:9 is that it is skinnier - fits better into a pocket. Not sure what exact dimensions would be, but true in any case.

But you have less screen real estate. I've held the 16:9 tablet, it feels that it can only be used landscape, nothing works portrait, at all.
post #79 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is certainly a market now for these tablets and I think a 7 model would thrive. Though one of Apples greatest strengths is also one of their greatest weaknesses when trying to come to market, which makes me wonder how legit this is. Apple isnt going to simply crunch the 10 iPad UI into a 7 iPad display or spread the iPod Touch UI onto a 7 iPad display.

They will tailor the UI and OS to be idealized for this device. They will also need a new SDK and App Store portal for these tailored apps. I cant see Apple doing it any other way.

Its possible they worked on many different sizes simultaneously so that they can release the new size with a complete ecosystem addition within a year of the first iPad launching, but I have doubts about that. It may cause consumer confusion and, lets be realistic, they arent even getting iOS 4.x for the iPad until November and Apple still only has one iPhone design per year, so a 7 iPad this soon seems very un-Apple to me (though I hope this does come out).

A 7" iPad could work with little change to the SDK or App Store ecosystem-- smaller display with the same resolution (1024x768) and aspect ratio (4:3).

Imagine an iPad in landscape cut in half vertically giving, 2, roughly 7", iPad Memos.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #80 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A 7" iPad could work with little change to the SDK or App Store ecosystem-- smaller display with the same resolution (1024x768) and aspect ratio (4:3).

Imagine an iPad in landscape cut in half vertically giving, 2, roughly 7", iPad Memos.

.

Little change, sure, if we are speaking relative to iPhone/Touch to iPad, especially if its the same resolution between both tablet sizes, but this is Apple and having all the touch elements slightly smaller doesnt seem like something will go for. I would think that they would redo the UI to be idealized for that display.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Chinese site claims design of Apple's 7-inch iPad is 'finished'