or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 demand outstrips supply in China
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone 4 demand outstrips supply in China

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
Early demand for the iPhone 4 in China has outpaced initial supply as China Unicom struggles to fulfill the over 200,000 preorders it received last week.

China Unicom announced Sunday that it was having trouble meeting demand, according to a MarketWatch report. This year's iPhone 4 launch in China is an impressive turnaround from last year's muted launch. The official launch of the iPhone in October 2009 saw just 5,000 buyers in the first week after launch.

Apple promised more shipments in the near future. "More iPhones will be available soon and customers should check back with their local store or online for updates on availability," Apple spokeswoman Carolyn Wu said, according to MarketWatch.

In a statement Sunday, China Unicom said it had sold 60,000 (Google Translation) units on the first day of availability after receiving over 200,000 preorders.

Over 40,000 of the sales went to individual customers, and an additional 10,000 went to direct distribution bulk orders. China Unicom began taking preorders for the smartphone on September 17 at 10 a.m, the same day the iPad went on sale in China.

Outside Apple's new Xidan Joy City retail store in Beijing, over a thousand fans lined up Saturday to purchase the iPhone 4.
post #2 of 79
Wonder if we'll hear about antenna issues there...no wait my guess is they actually have a solid cell build out unlike the US....
post #3 of 79
I hope China Unicom takes a lot of China Mobile's users.

Time will tell.
post #4 of 79
Consumer Reports must be furious.
post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Consumer Reports must be furious.

the trolls on this site, too (newtron).
post #6 of 79
Apple's OEM partner factory is 3 blocks from the store. So no supply issues there.

Made by China, for China.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Reply
post #7 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Consumer Reports must be furious.

If Oprah had told people not to buy the iPhone 4 it may have been a different story.
post #8 of 79
China has 1.3 billion people and they can't fill 200,000 orders, buawahaha. Can you say black market? Funny part is the Chinese have had iphones that blow the door off of Apple/AT&T's phones. China is a disgrace about how they allow for the stealing of proprietary property of ... well ... mainly US/European innovative products.

I would go further, but I'm afraid I might start getting too mad.
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

China has 1.3 billion people and they can't fill 200,000 orders, buawahaha. Can you say black market? Funny part is the Chinese have had iphones that blow the door off of Apple/AT&T's phones. China is a disgrace about how they allow for the stealing of proprietary property of ... well ... mainly US/European innovative products.

I would go further, but I'm afraid I might start getting too mad.

Based on the comment I bolded I think madness already set in, so don't stop now.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #10 of 79
Anyway... this looks to be Apple's year in China. After a slow start customers are really warming up to Apple's sense of aesthetics and world-class tech. I'd love to hear more from Apple/iPhone fans in China (besides Hong Kong).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #11 of 79
Reason No. 378 that the CDMA iPhone will not be coming to Verizon....
post #12 of 79
Apple is doomed!
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
Reply
post #13 of 79
"Outside Apple's new Xidan Joy City retail store in Beijing, over a thousand fans lined up Saturday to purchase the iPhone 4."

The joy in Xidan right now is nothing compared to the joy in Cupertino.
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"Outside Apple's new Xidan Joy City retail store in Beijing, over a thousand fans lined up Saturday to purchase the iPhone 4."

The joy in Xidan right now is nothing compared to the joy in Cupertino.

post #15 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

... Funny part is the Chinese have had iphones that blow the door off of Apple/AT&T's phones. ...

And which phones might those be? I didn't realize that there were counterfeit iPhones out there. I'd be interested in links so that I can check them out. (Not to buy, just to see if they do exist and really compare to the REAL iPhone)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
post #16 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMacUser View Post

Wonder if we'll hear about antenna issues there...no wait my guess is they actually have a solid cell build out unlike the US....

You'd think. I was checking out the Amazon.com int'l coverage map for the Kindle 3G, which you can see here. Their map is very telling. The only Chinese provider that works with the 3G UMTS service is China Unicom, which apparently has a very unique business practice of putting up a single mast in the middle of a city, and then radiating a signal as far as they can outward. There seem to be no supplemental masts across the city. The result is that 3G service is unavailable at Beijing's airport, appx. 15 miles northeast from downtown.

Sometimes, two masts will located in major cities that are close enough to each other, that coverage overlaps exist between the two cities (for example, Guangzhou and Foshan). But most of the time it looks like there's a single mast per region.

I assume that Unicom's customers can roam on China Mobile's GSM network (both companies are owned by the Chinese government), but the Kindle doesn't have access to China Mobile's 2G.
post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

China has 1.3 billion people and they can't fill 200,000 orders, buawahaha. Can you say black market? Funny part is the Chinese have had iphones that blow the door off of Apple/AT&T's phones. China is a disgrace about how they allow for the stealing of proprietary property of ... well ... mainly US/European innovative products.

I would go further, but I'm afraid I might start getting too mad.

Maybe you should start getting some intelligence.

Where does it say that "they [didn't] fill 200,00 orders? How do you know how many iPhones were sold? Nobody knows but Apple and I am sure they are not telling you.

As for the Chinese having had iPhones that blow the door off of Apples/AT&T phones; what phone is that?
post #18 of 79
I wonder if shortages generated by Chinese demand will impact the December build for a Verizon iPhone.

Apple may have to put that on a back burner if they want to keep the Chinese happy.

The iPad is already tearing up global net book and laptop manufacturing as parts are being diverted to what the consumer really wants and is willing to pay for.

If nothing else Apple has created significant turmoil among electronic manufacturers this year.
post #19 of 79
Quote:
The founder of Chinese IT giant Lenovo said in an interview that Apple is missing huge opportunities in the world's most populous nation because it does not understand mainland consumers.

"We are lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesnt care about China," Lenovo chairman Liu Chuanzhi told the Financial Times.

"If Apple were to spend the same effort on the Chinese consumer as we do, we would be in trouble."

Liu I think Jobs heard what you said. The iPhone 4 launch and Apple Stores are his response. If the iPhone 4 launch is an indication of demands of Apple products in China, yes I think you maybe in trouble now. Careful what you wish for...

I think Apple should really be serious about China. China's growth over the past few years is phenomenal. China is still up for grabs now. The most serious and aggressive company will win.
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

I wonder if shortages generated by Chinese demand will impact the December build for a Verizon iPhone.

Apple may have to put that on a back burner if they want to keep the Chinese happy.

That's not going to hold up a Verizon/CDMA iPhone. Verizon will hold up a Verizon iPhone, if anyone. Besides, the reported 3-4 million CDMA iPhones available in early 2011 won't be enough for Verizon, anyway. Fortunately, plenty of other CDMA carriers exist that could get those iPhones, including China Telecom, which is owned by the Chinese government.
post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

That's not going to hold up a Verizon/CDMA iPhone. Verizon will hold up a Verizon iPhone, if anyone. Besides, the reported 3-4 million CDMA iPhones available in early 2011 won't be enough for Verizon, anyway. Fortunately, plenty of other CDMA carriers exist that could get those iPhones, including China Telecom, which is owned by the Chinese government.

How can you be so certain of this? I am sure a CDMA based iPhone could easily have and probably will have many components in common (screen, case etc...) (mfg volume economy) with the GSM version. Any constrained common component could easily delay things until the next mfg ramp up is complete. That being said, I don't see a Verizon iPhone until at least June 2011 and more likely June 2013 and even then it being more LTE based not CDMA.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Reply
post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

And which phones might those be? I didn't realize that there were counterfeit iPhones out there. I'd be interested in links so that I can check them out. (Not to buy, just to see if they do exist and really compare to the REAL iPhone)


There are. What they are missing is the OS. They have a vague replica of the OS with some of the apple apps ( not the app store, or iPod, or iTunes). Everything is crap - I think it is written in Java.

for naive users it is the same as iPhone OS 1.0.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

How can you be so certain of this? I am sure a CDMA based iPhone could easily have and probably will have many components in common (screen, case etc...) (mfg volume economy) with the GSM version. Any constrained common component could easily delay things until the next mfg ramp up is complete. That being said, I don't see a Verizon iPhone until at least June 2011 and more likely June 2013 and even then it being more LTE based not CDMA.

I don't think he's saying anything as a certainty, but there is evidence from Verizon to suggest Verizon lost out on the iPhone by their own choosing and that they may still be willing to play catch with Apple's ball.

Your commnt on components that will be used across both device types is a great point. It may not make sense for Apple to make a CDMA-based iPhone right now if they can't even get their GSM-based variety manufactured fast enough. Is this new Foxconn plant, scheduled for completion in 2011 (last I heard), for making iPhone for GSM, CDMA or both?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #24 of 79
If I read this right AAPL will break $300 for the first time tomorrow.
post #25 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

How can you be so certain of this? I am sure a CDMA based iPhone could easily have and probably will have many components in common (screen, case etc...) (mfg volume economy) with the GSM version. Any constrained common component could easily delay things until the next mfg ramp up is complete. That being said, I don't see a Verizon iPhone until at least June 2011 and more likely June 2013 and even then it being more LTE based not CDMA.

1. From what I understand, there were some supply issues related to the display, which was limiting production. These issues have been resolved, and we'll see more production in the coming weeks and months. Some of these new displays will go to the CDMA iPhone.

2. What I think 4phun was referring to was the concept that the Chinese government would be willing to artificially prevent CDMA iPhone manufacturing, so a bunch of GSM iPhones would get made, instead, then delivered to Chinese customers. I was basically saying that this argument was moot, because government-owned China Telecom could sell any CDMA iPhones that could be produced.

3. The three-to-four million number has been discussed elsewhere on AI.

4. LTE won't be on an iPhone until 2012 at the earliest, because of power efficiency and size issues. And there will be a bunch of places that CDMA exists, and not LTE; Verizon will therefore have CDMA backup on their LTE phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It may not make sense for Apple to make a CDMA-based iPhone right now if they can't even get their GSM-based variety manufactured fast enough. Is this new Foxconn plant, scheduled for completion in 2011 (last I heard), for making iPhone for GSM, CDMA or both?

I don't know, but I'm guessing GSM-only. Few CDMA carriers would be willing to make the changes needed to support VoRA or Rev. B. In the meantime, as you probably already know, the CDMA iPhones will be built in a factory not owned or operated by Foxconn.
post #26 of 79
50,000 satisfied iPhone 4 customers in China this past Saturday during their iPhone 4 launch while other countries carriers are still waiting on Apple to meet order requests. Here in Canada unless you're a kid that doesn't have any financial responsibilities you can't afford to camp out a day in advance in front of an Apple store or Rogers dealer location with the hope that maybe you'll get your hands on an iPhone 4. I've spent several months calling dealers and Apple as well as gas and parking fees driving around the city trying to buy two iPhone 4 16 GB to give as gifts to my parents. Everywhere I get the same response "Suggest you line up outside the store early as possible as most people line up at 2 AM". While I love my parents and Apple products I don't have the time or money to spend waisting it camped out in front of a store. It's frustrating Apple hasn't been able to place additional pressure on Foxconn to meet orders of the carriers or at least have the brains to postpone their China launch until they sort out their stocking issues with existing carriers.
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Reply
Unity3D, Maya, Final Cut, iPhone 5S, Apple TV, Mac Pro, MBP, iPad Mini
Reply
post #27 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

Consumer Reports must be furious.

Must have a yuan...for the IPhone 4 in China.
post #28 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

If I read this right AAPL will break $300 for the first time tomorrow.

Now, that is a distinct probability!

.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #29 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

the trolls on this site, too (newtron).

Don't worry, we can always count on Newtron and Blackintosh to find a negative to spin on any story, no matter how positive it is. That's their job. And I mean that literally.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Don't worry, we can always count on Newtron and Blackintosh to find a negative to spin on any story, no matter how positive it is. That's their job. And I mean that literally.

Bless your heart. Even when I'm not here you think of me. Okay, I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Does demand really outstrip supply or is Apple just a small potatoes company that is unable to execute? It's still 3 weeks before iPhone 4 ships in the US after all these months. And from what I read on the iTunes bug fix story, good luck getting your music to play on the "best iPod we've ever made."

Welcome to the big leagues Apple. Do you have what it takes to be a player?
post #31 of 79
. . .
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #32 of 79
Thank the stars the Chinese don't read Ireland's posts or they'd think the iPhone 4 doesn't work!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #33 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post


I think Apple should really be serious about China. China's growth over the past few years is phenomenal. China is still up for grabs now. The most serious and aggressive company will win.

And not having a stupid pull out keyboard helps
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

And which phones might those be? I didn't realize that there were counterfeit iPhones out there. I'd be interested in links so that I can check them out. (Not to buy, just to see if they do exist and really compare to the REAL iPhone)

just type in 'Chinese iPhone knockoff' into Google ... you'll get a hefty return of stories. But if this site allows links, I'll put in just one of the stories:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9...r-apple-2009-8

Hope this helps
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Now, that is a distinct probability!

.

Oh that would be nice . My guess is within a week or two to stay there, AAPL always bounces up and down on the way up.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #36 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

just type in 'Chinese iPhone knockoff' into Google ... you'll get a hefty return of stories. But if this site allows links, I'll put in just one of the stories:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9...r-apple-2009-8

Hope this helps

I suspect the Chinese will ultimately by enlarge want the genuine article. I have my doubts a knock off will really behave like the real thing. Remember the iPhone is not only vastly superior to the opposition (let alone fakes) it also has an eco system they cannot compete with.

I see you are new ... or are you?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Maybe you should start getting some intelligence.

Where does it say that "they [didn't] fill 200,00 orders? How do you know how many iPhones were sold? Nobody knows but Apple and I am sure they are not telling you.

As for the Chinese having had iPhones that blow the door off of Apples/AT&T phones; what phone is that?

... start getting some intelligence? I had a good laugh at that one. Trust me, I have enough to banter with the likes of you.

My comment was merely to point out that it's sad China has 1.3 billion peeps, yet struggle to fill even 200,000 orders. I was pointing out 200,000 orders seem low, when the phone has just hit the market. They should have had much more orders, but didn't because there have been black market knockoffs for years. Honestly, I think you did not understand the angle I was spinning the story.

Additionally, my post was about my OPINION, so just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean I lack intelligence.

Oh and here is a link to just one of the knock-offs out there. There are more http://www.businessinsider.com/the-9...r-apple-2009-8
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect the Chinese will ultimately by enlarge want the genuine article. I have my doubts a knock off will really behave like the real thing. Remember the iPhone is not only vastly superior to the opposition (let alone fakes) it also has an eco system they cannot compete with.

I see you are new ... or are you?

I have been trolling here for a bit (ahem, 6 months), but have not started to blog until recently as my low numbers would suggest.
post #39 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Bless your heart. Even when I'm not here you think of me. Okay, I wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Does demand really outstrip supply or is Apple just a small potatoes company that is unable to execute? It's still 3 weeks before iPhone 4 ships in the US after all these months. And from what I read on the iTunes bug fix story, good luck getting your music to play on the "best iPod we've ever made."

Welcome to the big leagues Apple. Do you have what it takes to be a player?

The second biggest and most valuable company in the world is just a small potatoes company?

I guess...

Well. What ever makes you feel better about yourself and your opinion.
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

One of your more ridiculous posts. You are losing your touch... or is it that you are touched... oh well whichever.

No it's not. Apple has shown repeatedly that it is not ready to compete with other hardware and software companies. They have done very well as a niche market, but now thanks to the iPhone, they are main stream. How are they doing?

Well, let's see. Millions on antenna technology which resulted in... well, you know.
Crippled iTunes 10 that cant rip a cd or play a song.
Months to fix hobbled iPhone 3G
Proximity sensor that was fine three years ago that took months to fix on iphone 4.
Apple TV that only has deals with two content providers.
iPad that has no magazine subscription plan in place months after delivery.
Computers with cracked displays and yellow monitors

Need more?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 4 demand outstrips supply in China