or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Media coverage of Apple found to be overwhelmingly positive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Media coverage of Apple found to be overwhelmingly positive

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Apple garners the most media headlines of any tech company, with the iPhone 4 and iPad launches among the biggest stories of the year, while coverage of the company is overwhelmingly positive, one study has found.

The Pew Research Center on Monday released the findings of a new study that analyzed tech journalism in 437 stories from a variety of sources that ran between June 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010. The study found that Apple receives the most press in the mainstream media, representing 15.1 percent of all technology stories in the news.

Apple's presence in the news is ahead of its rival, Google, which came in second with 11.4 percent. The social networking site Twitter came in third, with 7 percent of coverage, while Facebook took 4.8 percent, and Microsoft gathered 3 percent.

Of the stories analyzed, 42 percent described Apple has "innovative and superior," while another 27 percent praised the company's loyal fans. For comparison, only 20 percent of stories about Google portrayed the search giant as having innovative and superior products.

But Apple received its share of negative publicity as well, as the Pew Research Center found that 17 percent of stories suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company's products do not live up to the hype. Another 7 percent of stories said Apple is too controlling with its products.

Expanding outside of the mainstream media, the study also found that Google garnered more attention than Apple on blogs, while Twitter was (unsurprisingly) the most popular subject on Twitter. Twitter users, though, talked more about Apple than Google.



The span of time analyzed for the study included a number of high-profile product launches for Apple, namely the iPad launch, as well as the introduction of the iPhone 4.

Of course, the latest iPhone garnered its own media firestorm after it launched, when Consumer Reports said it could not recommend the device due to perceived issues with the handset's antenna. However, that largely negative media coverage began in July, after the Pew study's scope.

The study did include the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in 2009, however. Apple's latest desktop operating system earned rave reviews last summer, largely because of its $29 price.
post #2 of 31
I guess that explains why everyone is basically doing whatever Apple's doing.
post #3 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple garners the most media headlines of any tech company, with the iPhone 4 and iPad launches among the biggest stories of the year, while coverage of the company is overwhelmingly positive, one study has found.

The Pew Research Center on Monday released the findings of a new study that analyzed tech journalism in 437 stories from a variety of sources that ran between June 1, 2009, and June 30, 2010. The study found that Apple receives the most press in the mainstream media, representing 15.1 percent of all technology stories in the news.

Apple's presence in the news is ahead of its rival, Google, which came in second with 11.4 percent. The social networking site Twitter came in third, with 7 percent of coverage, while Facebook took 4.8 percent, and Microsoft gathered 3 percent.

Of the stories analyzed, 42 percent described Apple has "innovative and superior," while another 27 percent praised the company's loyal fans. For comparison, only 20 percent of stories about Google portrayed the search giant as having innovative and superior products.

But Apple received its share of negative publicity as well, as the Pew Research Center found that 17 percent of stories suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company's products do not live up to the hype. Another 7 percent of stories said Apple is too controlling with its products.

Expanding outside of the mainstream media, the study also found that Google garnered more attention than Apple on blogs, while Twitter was (unsurprisingly) the most popular subject on Twitter. Twitter users, though, talked more about Apple than Google.



The span of time analyzed for the study included a number of high-profile product launches for Apple, namely the iPad launch, as well as the introduction of the iPhone 4.

Of course, the latest iPhone garnered its own media firestorm after it launched, when Consumer Reports said it could not recommend the device due to perceived issues with the handset's antenna. However, that largely negative media coverage began in July, after the Pew study's scope.

The study did include the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in 2009, however. Apple's latest desktop operating system earned rave reviews last summer, largely because of its $29 price.

just thought i would pop in to say i got office 2011 and am not very pleased with outlook 2011. slow and clunky as entourage was
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I guess that explains why everyone is basically doing whatever Apple's doing.

It probably doesnt hurt, but any company concerned with profits will be following Apple because they are taking the lions share of the industrys profits, from PCs, to handsets, to PMPs, and now tablets. If you cant lead you might as well follow.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

just thought i would pop in to say i got office 2011 and am not very pleased with outlook 2011. slow and clunky as entourage was

1) Your enjoyment of Office for Mac has absolutely nothing to do with media coverage of tech companies.

2) Why quote the entire article, especially when it has nothing to do with your comment unless you are trying to be an ass?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Your enjoyment of Office for Mac has absolutely nothing to do with media coverage of tech companies.

2) Why quote the entire article, especially when it has nothing to do with your comment unless you are trying to be an ass?

apple coverage positive. ms coverage negative.
my goof to leave the whole quote in there. sorry.
post #7 of 31
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...aybook-tablet/

That probably does explain where all the 7" screens are going. Kind of pointless to "unveil" it (although, with details that sketchy, I'm not sure it's unveiled) but not announce pricing, which will likely be high.
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...aybook-tablet/

Given the specs, size and weight I have to wonder about battery life. Dual core GHz processor and a gig of ram? Runs Flash? In a 5"x7"x.4" package? Not a lot of room for a lot of battery, considering the power demands of the hardware.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

my goof to leave the whole quote in there. sorry.

And yet you dont edit your post. sigh
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #11 of 31
. . .
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #12 of 31
Apple is a Marketing Machine, no company can touch them on that front. Apple also probably get more free press and PR than the President of the US. Kind of like the old EF hutton commercials, "when EF huttun speaks people listen" It now when Apple speak people listen or watch.
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...aybook-tablet/


Why would business user need to play games, I like how they left out a data connection, you need to pair it one of their phones, they did not want to kill phones sales you have to buy both to make it useful on the go
post #14 of 31
Yes, it's true -- this year. Okay, since Jobs has been back. But from a financial point of view, who can argue with Apple? From the point of view of developing new and innovative hardware and software, who else?

Apple is a golden example of the only mass digital gadget manufacturer who has the OS and the hardware together. They design the OS and the iPhone, iPad, as well as the Apple store and iTunes, etc. When Jobs was gone, this strategy was derided as something for losers. Why, Microsoft got the monopoly status because they made the OS for all the hardware manufacturers. And Apple was going to die! Ha-ha!

But it turns out that it's a very, very good way to develop products that deliver a coherent user experience. The new OS X, iMacs, iPods, iPhones, iPads, and tons of beautifully-designed computers. The Apple Stores, the most profitable square feet of all of retail.

There's one thing that the Apple strategy will not deliver: big market share. So what?
post #15 of 31
This seems to me to be pretty simple: Apple does interesting stuff. Their competitors, not so much.
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Given the specs, size and weight I have to wonder about battery life. Dual core GHz processor and a gig of ram? Runs Flash? In a 5"x7"x.4" package? Not a lot of room for a lot of battery, considering the power demands of the hardware.

Because it requires (and comes with a 12 ft) power cable.
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And yet you dont edit your post. sigh

How about some slack. He acknowledged his goof.

Sometimes we have too many mondays in the same week. :-(

Just a thought,
en
post #18 of 31
Id like to see an analysis of how much TIME was spent on quality research (rather than, say, lazy parotting link-bait) for Apple-related articles (And, well, for journalism in general lately.)
post #19 of 31
Ha! Real surprise coming from THIS particular web site...
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...aybook-tablet/

Just curious how in fact does this relate to the article??
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Apple is a Marketing Machine, no company can touch them on that front. Apple also probably get more free press and PR than the President of the US. Kind of like the old EF hutton commercials, "when EF huttun speaks people listen" It now when Apple speak people listen or watch.

...that they make some pretty nice kit now does it?
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Ha! Real surprise coming from THIS particular web site...

So tha marketing woeks even on trolls and potential trolls! Hey look Mo!
post #23 of 31
I would compare of what happened in music.

There were several decent singers in the old Rat Pack. But old 'blue eyes' got most of the attention
and most of the girls.
The better example were the Beatles. Also a lot of good singers in those days. But Lennon - McCartney wrote and performed some great stuff. They were always in the news because of doing it better, different and interesting.

What is happening with all the other guys now?

HP might be in the news because they are finally are gonna give better ink prices. Or they are going the Google route and buying all things interesting.

Dell is giving us all those interesting Lollipop colors.

Nokia keeps reminding us how superior they are. Can't you see we have 60% of the Market. I mean 50%. Excuse me I meant 40%. Wait we will let the next guy tell you.

Android is trying to remind us that it truly is THEIR OS. But we really mean that it really belongs to everyone, after all it is wide open.
(Verizon is trying to remind you that open truly means closed.)

Microsoft. Microsoft reminds of that guy in the outhouse that keeps yelling. "It's coming. It's coming".
(Don't exactly know what they mean.)

HTC can't wait to get their hands on the latest Apple product, so they can give us their version that they were secretly working on for the last 5 years.

You can make up whatever story you want for Samsung, Motorola and all the others. It really doesn't matter, because you know very well that Apple has that new Album coming out soon.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

...that they make some pretty nice kit now does it?

Isn't a kit a set of parts that one puts together, like a model airplane kit or a model car kit? So what kind of DIY kit does apple make? I'd be interested in getting one after so many years of putting together HeathKit stereo components.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Isn't a kit a set of parts that one puts together, like a model airplane kit or a model car kit? So what kind of DIY kit does apple make? I'd be interested in getting one after so many years of putting together HeathKit stereo components.

Kit is a slang term that refers to hardware, technology or gear in general. I may be mistaken, but I believe it's more widely used in Europe than the States.
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

just thought i would pop in to say i got office 2011 and am not very pleased with outlook 2011. slow and clunky as entourage was

Office is a Microsoft product, maybe that partially explains why Microsoft is not as highly regarded nor as widely followed as they used to be.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

apple coverage positive. ms coverage negative.
my goof to leave the whole quote in there. sorry.

Then edit it out.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

Kit is a slang term that refers to hardware, technology or gear in general. I may be mistaken, but I believe it's more widely used in Europe than the States.

OK, I'll buy that. I'm so far behind the times with new uses for old words. I'm ashamed of my ignorance. Thanks for the nice informative response.
post #29 of 31
Of course it's positive. Why the hell wouldn't it be? Apple makes great products that people love. It's that simple.
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And yet you dont edit your post. sigh

Sol, never knew you to be so bitchy ..... what's up with that .... you ok?
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
Reply
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

I guess that explains why everyone is basically doing whatever Apple's doing.

Good observation. They are. Palm, RIM, Google, Microsoft. Nokia, if they could execute fast enough

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Media coverage of Apple found to be overwhelmingly positive