or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011

RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011 - Page 2

post #41 of 392
Can someone explain how they can get 1080 HD from this display? Am I missing something?
post #42 of 392
so, let me get this straight...folks are getting all wet about this and isn't even a product yet.

and, someone posted about android 3. i guess we'll see.

apple has probably had the next version of iOS in testing/development for a while now, so realistically, android 3 will still have to play catch up.

they're already behind. better get crackin'
post #43 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is the classic, "Shit, our customers are all going to already have bought competitors products by the time we can bring something to market. Maybe if we announce a product we can stall some of them till we actually have something." In other words, a move of desperation.

Yeah, sounds like what M$ tried with their SlatePC pony show at CES earlier this year. And what has that that produced so far...
post #44 of 392
Da ya thunk del get 'er out beefaw da fat laty sungz?
Seriously, they should call it Palmberry!
post #45 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How do you know it's going to be cool? From a mocked up video? I seem to recall a lot of people that were pretty sure the Courier was going to kick ass and take names, based on a video, and we know how that turned out....

Maybe it'll be nice. Maybe it'll be deeply flawed. I'm very curious about battery life, since the specs sound pretty power hungry.

At any rate, about the best we can say at this point is that RIM is going to bring a 5"x7" touch tablet to market running an OS they recently purchased and that given the specs it should be reasonably speedy. Beyond that (and by every metric that really counts-- ease of use, interaction with eco-system, if any, battery life, quality of apps) we don't really know anything.

Well, you're right, I'm calling the device we see in the video cool. The actual device could be far from it, and delayed lol. In fact, it's not unlikely they say this thing will come out at a certain time, and when that time gets here, they delay it, not because something new has come up, but because that's what the plan was all along. Just so long as they can keep people from buying a tablet from now until when they promise it's coming.

Either way, all that stuff that dude listed was just bizarre. It's like he's trying to convince himself not to consider this thing more than anyone else.
post #46 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

I'm confused on their message.

Their message is "this is going to be a cool product."
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #47 of 392
Is it just me, or is there a vaporous software/hardware feel to this ad? Reminds me of those etherial OpenScreen project videos:

http://www.openscreenproject.org/
post #48 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean, like Apple announcing the iPad in January and not shipping until April? I read "early 2011" as possibly being little more than three months away.

Apple announced the iPad approx 66 days (Jan 27 - April 3) before shipping. January 1st is over 90 days away, and I highly doubt it ships in January at all, so we're looking at over 120 days.
post #49 of 392
App-Rocking? LOL
BB is famous with their small screen, and do you want to run that app on 1024x600?
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
post #50 of 392
1080p??? Not on a 600 line display, that will not even do 720p
post #51 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjbraun View Post

Can someone explain how they can get 1080 HD from this display? Am I missing something?

The HDMI port.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #52 of 392
I GB of RAM .. what's up with that? A typo or ... ?
post #53 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by battiato1981 View Post

I GB of RAM .. what's up with that? A typo or ... ?

The iPhone 4 has 512 MB, it's quite possible that the iPad 2 will have a gig as well and launch in a similar timeframe.
post #54 of 392
Quote:

You mean, like Apple announcing the iPad in January and not shipping until April? I read "early 2011" as possibly being little more than three months away.

I highly doubt they will be shipping it in January.
post #55 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

LOL

yeah it's kind of hard to get it wrong when they're just filming an emulator running on much higher spec'd machines. Hell, I don't even know if we're seeing the actual OS, or a computer-generated example of what it will be, you know what I mean? HTC did this plenty of times with their videos on youtube. I mean shit, if you look at the touch pro video, you'd think that thing was as snappy as it could get. WRONG!

Everything works well in PowerPoint.
post #56 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

This is the classic, "Shit, our customers are all going to already have bought competitors products by the time we can bring something to market. Maybe if we announce a product we can stall some of them till we actually have something." In other words, a move of desperation.

Yep, right out of the Ballmer playbook .... (pun intended lol)
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #57 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How do you know it's going to be cool? From a mocked up video? I seem to recall a lot of people that were pretty sure the Courier was going to kick ass and take names, based on a video, and we know how that turned out....

Maybe it'll be nice. Maybe it'll be deeply flawed. I'm very curious about battery life, since the specs sound pretty power hungry.

At any rate, about the best we can say at this point is that RIM is going to bring a 5"x7" touch tablet to market running an OS they recently purchased and that given the specs it should be reasonably speedy. Beyond that (and by every metric that really counts-- ease of use, interaction with eco-system, if any, battery life, quality of apps) we don't really know anything.

+++ QFT

Best post yet on this thread!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #58 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Everything works well in PowerPoint.

Well in Keynote at least
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #59 of 392
Quote:
They are targeting business and the first things they show are digital camera, photos, music, then they show a boring business office for like 5 seconds and it doesn't even have the pad in the shot, next thing you see is it playing NHL sports in a flash player on vemo, a park bench reading books, more youtube, flicker, chatting on AOL or something... yah, such a business device!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I won't paint my self as a flamer or fanboy by speculating as to how terrible or wonderful this device may or may not end up being, but I can say with confidence that I do not believe that the video supported the "business" moniker that RIM has attached to this device.
post #60 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I've never seen anyone try so hard to dislike something. Really, your comment is pure bullshit.

This thing is cool! It'll be a nice competitor to the ipad, and maybe even the ipad2. What does that mean? OH RIGHT, it means Apple will step their game up even more-so and customers like you benefit.

BTW, what about this (other than being a tablet) makes it an "Pad left it in the dryer too long"? If anything, this is definitely more of a ripoff of WebOS.

How is his comment bullshit? I think battery life, processor overload with Flash and having a good app store are all valid concerns.
post #61 of 392
Tether is not the same as Pair. Until they give more details, I wouldn't assume what that does other than sync contacts/calendar...
post #62 of 392
I'm curious as to what size will win out: 7" or 9.7".

I'll sit back and wait for the:" that's what she said" jokes.
post #63 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

The HDMI port.

Or, I could just stream content from my iPad to a TV using something like, oh I don't know... oh yeah: AirPlay.

If Rim things they're going to shed their corporate roots and become a media hub, they're delusional.
1080p is just a feature-list check-off.
post #64 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

Apple announced the iPad approx 66 days (Jan 27 - April 3) before shipping. January 1st is over 90 days away, and I highly doubt it ships in January at all, so we're looking at over 120 days.

Plus Apple announced something pretty significant -- PRICING. And developers had an SDK to work with immediately after announcement. right now, this thing is vaporware.

The worst spec on this thing is the most overlooked, and that is it only runs Blackberry apps. they are using a new OS variant (their own version of QNX) on this thing so there won't be alot of industry help in moving this forward.

Good effort, we'll see how the execution goes...
post #65 of 392
"The BlackBerry PlayBook solidly hits the mark with industry leading power, true multitasking, uncompromised Web browsing and high performance multimedia."

Except it's not a product and not 4 sale. Whoop-tee-doo.
post #66 of 392
Quote:

What's "fake" about the video?

The reason why they don't show an actual device in the video is because they don't have a device ready to show. That's what people mean by "fake".
post #67 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

Reading the specs and the provided info, it appears that content is not stored on the PlayBook itself, but is passed to it from a BlackBerry phone, or am I missing something?

1GB RAM is that for real? So you need this and a BlackBerry to carry your media around with you?

Why is it that these companies always make a huge mistake in their designs?

And look at the size of the bezel!

Engadget has a bunch of photos up --- the back of the RIM tablet said 16 GB storage.
post #68 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The multitasking looks like a ripoff WebOS..

Anyways overall I like it. They got their tablet right the first time. Now if Blackberry can just make a better smartphone. The Torch is a complete flop.

Playbook... Maybe the NFL will make this their official tablet.

I haven't been paying much attention to RIM so I don't know what their sales are like, but the people I know who have both iOS and BlackBerry experience think the Torch is not only the best phone RIM has come out with, they prefer the Torch to the iPhone.
post #69 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I highly doubt they will be shipping it in January.

With nothing to go on, I have no reason think one way or another.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #70 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

The reason why they don't show an actual device in the video is because they don't have a device ready to show. That's what people mean by "fake".

Oh come on. Enough with the double standards. Apple does this kind of thing all the time.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #71 of 392
Quote:

Or, I could just stream content from my iPad to a TV using something like, oh I don't know... oh yeah: AirPlay.

If Rim things they're going to shed their corporate roots and become a media hub, they're delusional.

Don't you need an Apple TV to use AirPlay or a TV that supports AirPlay which none currently does?
post #72 of 392
Quote:

Oh come on. Enough with the double standards. Apple does this kind of thing all the time.

Yeah, Jobs' MWSF keynote presentation of the original iPhone in January 2007--6 months in advance of public availability--looked totally fake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvqa8mFpCpY

Apple does this kind of stuff all the time.
post #73 of 392

... Is it good enough enough and soon enough to change any iPad buying decisions.

Will anyone accept a "good for one PlayBook" gift card in his Xmas stocking?

Will IT or enteprise delay their "tablet" deployment projects for this?

I think the answer is no to all of the above -- it's pretty hard to go wrong with a $500 bird in the hand.

Sent from my real, live bird!

post #74 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I haven't been paying much attention to RIM so I don't know what their sales are like, but the people I know who have both iOS and BlackBerry experience think the Torch is not only the best phone RIM has come out with, they prefer the Torch to the iPhone.

That's the thing though. Mostly if not only BB faithfuls love the Torch. How many people ditched their iPhones or Androids to get a Torch? I agree it's the best "RIM" phone but it is not in the same league as the iPhone and Android, not even close.
post #75 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Yeah, Jobs' MWSF keynote presentation of the original iPhone in January 2007--6 months in advance of public availability--looked totally fake.

I don't know if this is supposed to be sarcastic or not, but I'm not the one accusing anyone of fakery.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #76 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Or price. RIM was able to maintain their lead in the smartphone market because their phones are heavily discounted and subsidized by carriers. It will be a hard sell without a carrier subsidize especially if the price is higher than the iPad.

And Apple was able to sell that many iphones because carriers had to massively subsidize the iphone --- to the point that AT&T had to issue a profit margin warning.
post #77 of 392
Quote:

Talk about a fanboy response. Someone asked how it could display 1080p video with its less than 1080p screen and wondered if they were missing something. I pointed out what there were missing. That is all. I never once compared it to the iPad.

Not everything made by companies other than Apple is bad. You can love Apple products and still be a little objective. I'd love to have the ability to output video though HDMI from my iPhone. I'm not going to write off a product that looks good just because we know very little about it. Unknown doesn't mean bad.

PS: I love the idea AirPlay, I think it's going to be huge. I just don't know why you felt the need to bring up a 720p streaming service when I was telling someone how the PlayBook would output 1080p video.
post #78 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

all I can think is 'Microsoft Courier' whenever I see these marketing based promotional videos - too early to say whether this is pure hot air or actually has some substance.

That's exactly what I was thinking. There are so many people still devastated that the Courier wasn't released - I never considered it "real" - but they talk about it like it was just short of getting shrink-wrapped.

RIM has had a few months to digest the iPad and wants to have something to market less than a year after actually getting their hands on one. Can their product compete with one that spent years in development by a company with deep OS experience?

Doesn't sound promising to me.
post #79 of 392
Considering that Apple is the only company that is really doing anything particularly innovative, do you blame him?

I love that there's new competition out there for Apple. Consumers will benefit. My only gripe is, all of these "new" devices are just Apple product "knock-offs". Who really is doing something completely different. Apple rocked the mobile phone industry with the iPhone and now, the market is saturated with devices that are similar but not innovative. While everyone else was pushing netbooks, Apple came out with the iPad and now everyone and their dogs are trying to enter the tablet market. Look at the new laptops out there and you'll find so many that on first glance, "look" like the Macbook Pro.

As I said, I love the competition. However, I want to see some of these other companies introduce devices (not concepts) that actually change the way we do thing for the better. Lately, the only company that does is Apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Most other companies aren't paranoid like Apple when it comes to releasing specs. Not saying that is good or bad just that Steve Jobs tends to be the only one that worries about stuff like that.
post #80 of 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by samab View Post

And Apple was able to sell that many iphones because carriers had to massively subsidize the iphone --- to the point that AT&T had to issue a profit margin warning.

AT&T never did buy an iPhone and get another for free nor did they give away iPhones for free.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › RIM unveils 7-inch 'PlayBook' tablet set to launch in early 2011