or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb

Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb

post #1 of 77
A team of analysts for investment bank Goldman Sachs said Monday that their sources lead them to believe Apple will introduce a second-generation iPad during the spring of 2011 that will feature a camera, mini USB and a lighter design.

Citing supply chain checks, the analyst duo of Henry King and Kevin Lu said they believe that Hon Hai will remain the sole manufacturer of the new 9.7-inch model, explaining that the Cupertino-based electronics maker remains undecided on a second partner to help build the tablets.

The analysts also said their checks found that "the 7 iPad project has not yet been finalized" and therefore said its "unlikely to be launched ahead of the new 9.7 iPad."

According to the pair, the new 9.7-inch iPad "is targeted to be thinner and lighter, with an embedded camera and mini USB." It "could be launched in early" second quarter of 2011, they said.

A camera-equipped second-generation iPad would fall in line with Apple's plan to ship FaceTime on as many devices as possible. Earlier in September, AppleInsider learned that a FaceTime-enabled iPad had progressed to "advanced testing stages." Sources indicated that Apple was unlikely to follow its usual 12-month product cycle with the iPad, possibly refreshing it in the first quarter of 2011.

Last week, Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes also predicted a first quarter 2011 debut for the second-generation iPad, suggesting that the tablet would maintain the same 9.7-inch screen size..

Rumors of a second-generation 7-inch iPad model have persisted since shortly after the iPad launched in April. On Friday, a Chinese website claimed a 7-inch iPad that takes after the iPhone 4 aesthetic is already a "finished product."

While 7-inch iPad rumors remain unverified, Blackberry-maker Research in Motion has gone ahead and made 7" the new 9.7". RIM announced Monday that it will release the "Playbook," a 7-inch tablet, in early 2011. Early rumors about RIM's answer to the iPad had pegged the screen at 9.7 inches.

Mini USB on the next iteration of the iPad would come as a surprising break from Apple's reliance on its own proprietary dock connector. Apple collects substantial licensing fees and royalties for accessories that utilize the company's custom connection.
post #2 of 77
All the wannabes are going to have to scramble a bit now.
post #3 of 77
Once again, Apple's deep bench and head start will keep the target moving for competitors. The MacBook Air was probably as important as an incubator for many things iPad as it was a laptop per se. I was waiting for the second generation iPad before buying, and now I'm really stoked.

PS: I hope that when Apple updates iWeb that there'll be a simple way of adding special iPad/iPhone mobile website form factor to the sites you build for standard browsers.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #4 of 77
This sounds more like what I'd expect. Apple doesn't seem in ANY rush to release a 7" tablet. AT ALL. The only reason people are coming out with 7" tablets, is because that's the only form factor they're able to make work economically and with manufacturing partners. At least that's my gut. Right now, people can't compete, and they're trying to change the subject, because Apple released a product that was too cheap for them to replicate.

~ CB
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverboy View Post

This sounds more like what I'd expect. Apple doesn't seem in ANY rush to release a 7" tablet. AT ALL. The only reason people are coming out with 7" tablets, is because that's the only form factor they're able to make work economically and with manufacturing partners. At least that's my gut. Right now, people can't compete, and they're trying to change the subject, because Apple released a product that was too cheap for them to replicate.

~ CB

While I agree you, I wish Apple would come out with a 7" model. Better size for me.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #6 of 77
Idiotic. This is pure BS.

Why would Apple put a mini-USB on a small iPad, when they put a full iPod dock connector on a iPod nano? Answer: they wouldn't, Goldman Sachs just wants to pretend to be savvy to their clients. No wonder they needed bailout money from the Fed. R-tards.
post #7 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Once again, Apple's deep bench and head start will keep the target moving for competitors. The MacBook Air was probably as important as an incubator for many things iPad as it was a laptop per se. I was waiting for the second generation iPad before buying, and now I'm really stoked.

PS: I hope that when Apple updates iWeb that there'll be a simple way of adding special iPad/iPhone mobile website form factor to the sites you build for standard browsers.

Yes as this is what I was waiting on as well...now that I have my mac mini fix, Im ready for the next release...with all these new products popping up its becoming a little addictive
post #8 of 77
I'm gonna say pure speculation.

First of all, if the 7 incher is gonna have a camera, so will the 9 incher. Apple has a long history of bigger screen sizes within a product line meaning a more Pro or Feature rich models. I don't think apple will change its stance here. The only way I see 7 incher gaining features that 9 inch does is if the 9 inch goes away, and is totally replaced by a more compact model.

As far as USB, I think this might be the least likely addition. I think the dongle will remain a necessity until at least version 3, and even then will be added if it is absolutely necessary.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #9 of 77
As long as the iPad needs a dock connector it won't get a USB. Apple might change their software to allow their dock connector to do other things besides work for photos.

Adding a card reader would make much more sense for customers. Unfortunately for us, adding a card reader would negate the need for iPads with larger (more expensive) internal drives. Memory cards are the future. I wish Apple would totally go with them on all of their products that are bigger than iPod Nanos.
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm not sure the iPad needs to be lighter and thinner. Its already really thin to the point you almost have no option but to buy a case. I would rather see the new iPad more powerful with the same battery life even if that ment they had to make it a little thicker.

I don't know. Far be it from me to criticize an Apple product LOL, but reading from an iPad in bed while holding it in one hand is when it seems a wee bit heavy. The weight never bothers me any other time. If Apple make it lighter but just as sturdy (LiquidMetal??) I'm all for it, as long as the battery life is as good or better. The history of Apple mobile devices tells us this will happen.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
post #11 of 77
The battery may get slightly thinner, but people won't like having any significant reduction in performance or battery life. Perhaps a Retina-style larger screen is in the works, but I seriously doubt it. The current screen is nice. All that can be trimmed is the internal electronics or the weight of the case.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

....Goldman Sachs just wants to pretend to be savvy to their clients. No wonder they needed bailout money from the Fed.

There are lots of things that you can - legitimately - criticize Goldman Sachs for, but their needing bailout money is not one of them.

They were doing quite well, actually, even as the rest of the industry was falling like nine-pins.

Suffice it to say that they were given an offer they couldn't refuse. They were not given the option to say 'no.' (They were also the first to pay it all back, and with interest).
post #13 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The battery may get slightly thinner, but people won't like having any significant reduction in performance or battery life. Perhaps a Retina-style larger screen is in the works, but I seriously doubt it. The current screen is nice. All that can be trimmed is the internal electronics or the weight of the case.

LiquidMetal

I just read up on LM and it is not lighter than Aluminum just stronger. Perhaps it could be thinner therefore the product would indeed be lighter.
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A team of analysts for investment bank Goldman Sachs said Monday that their sources lead them to believe Apple will introduce a second-generation iPad during the spring of 2011 that will feature a camera, mini USB and a lighter design....

This doesn't seem like much of a prediction to me.

Betting that the next years model will be thinner and lighter is like betting the sun will come up in the morning. Every Apple product gets thinner and lighter with each iteration since they are obsessed with thinness and lightness. Predicting that it will have a camera is like being an echo chamber for everything everyone has said about the iPad so far and the mini-USB prediction is almost certainly just wrong. Also, if it comes out in late spring or early second quarter, isn't that the exact same time as the original came out?

I think these guys just like to hear themselves speak.
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

LiquidMetal

Actually I have never felt anything made in LiquidMetal, if it is too light it might feel a bit weird but I guess batteries can make up the difference.

I know people keep saying it is, but liquid metal is not actually lighter than other metals. It's still metal, it's just cooled differently.

It has a higher strength to weight ratio, so products can be made thinner and still be as strong, but it isn't actually lighter than other metals by any appreciable amount.
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There are lots of things that you can - legitimately - criticize Goldman Sachs for, but their needing bailout money is not one of them.

They were doing quite well, actually, even as the rest of the industry was falling like nine-pins.

Suffice it to say that they were given an offer they couldn't refuse. They were not given the option to say 'no.' (They were also the first to pay it all back, and with interest).

You speak the truth on the bailout.

My problem with Goldman is how they were selling customers one set of securities and then betting that those same securities would go down in value with house money. See the link below.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...evin-says.html
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Memory cards are the future.

really??? REALLY?? what!!?? really? i mean... are you serious... Really? are you... Really?
post #18 of 77
Everybody is always going on about needing a USB connector on the Ipad.

Now a 30 pin connector has an output of 3.3 volts and a USB 2 connector has an output of 5 volts. So I have always wondered if the lack of USB has more to do with the power output specification against battery life then anything else. I mean, what does that screen and cpu pull? anyone know?
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

As long as the iPad needs a dock connector it won't get a USB. Apple might change their software to allow their dock connector to do other things besides work for photos.

Adding a card reader would make much more sense for customers. Unfortunately for us, adding a card reader would negate the need for iPads with larger (more expensive) internal drives. Memory cards are the future. I wish Apple would totally go with them on all of their products that are bigger than iPod Nanos.

I hope memory cards aren't the future. I hate them and I am glad I don't have to deal with them for my iPhone (2G version). I rarely use the whole 16GB on my iPhone so I don't feel like it would add anything to have card capacity.

I never change the one in my camera (even though I have 2). I wish it just had a couple GB internal.

I realize that I may be in the minority on this one.
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Now a 30 pin connector has an output of 3.3 volts and a USB 2 connector has an output of 5 volts. So I have always wondered if the lack of USB has more to do with the power output specification against battery life then anything else. I mean, what does that screen and cpu pull? anyone know?

the A4 hardly uses any. it's all the screen. Jobs mentioned this after the iPad announcement.
post #21 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I hope memory cards aren't the future. I hate them and I am glad I don't have to deal with them for my iPhone (2G version). I rarely use the whole 16GB on my iPhone so I don't feel like it would add anything to have card capacity.

I never change the one in my camera (even though I have 2). I wish it just had a couple GB internal.

I realize that I may be in the minority on this one.

You are not alone. Instead of adding memory card slots to devices, we should just add wifi/bluetooth to cameras. several already have this feature, plus there are memory cards with wifi built in.

wireless transfer, that's the future... (and present)
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know people keep saying it is, but liquid metal is not actually lighter than other metals. It's still metal, it's just cooled differently.

It has a higher strength to weight ratio, so products can be made thinner and still be as strong, but it isn't actually lighter than other metals by any appreciable amount.

Yep, it's SG is greater than Aluminum. Never the less it seems pretty amazing and product bodies would be far easier to make, cheaper and stronger than the current uni body. I also suspect it or other products in the pipe line will have some interesting and novel uses for Apple.
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

You speak the truth on the bailout.

My problem with Goldman is how they were selling customers one set of securities and then betting that those same securities would go down in value with house money. See the link below.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...evin-says.html

Yes, I know. But the problem is, much as it might have been distasteful, what they did was not illegal. (They settled, but only to avoid the negative (and continuing) publicity about the charges.)

It's like smoking: If we really feel it's such a problem, then we should have the policy courage to make it illegal. (For the record, I don't smoke; but I respect the right that people have to do things that are legal).

Similarly, if we think Goldman's double-dealing is a problem, then we should make it illegal.
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, it's SG is greater than Aluminum. Never the less it seems pretty amazing and product bodies would be far easier to make, cheaper and stronger than the current uni body. I also suspect it or other products in the pipe line will have some interesting and novel uses for Apple.

Yes, it sounds really promising. I wonder if it's a bit too soon to expect it to be used on major product lines though. We shall see.
post #25 of 77
I guess this GS analysis is just clear proof that one should not pay for financial advice these days. You can get more accurate analysis for free from "expert amateurs" and enthusiasts on the web.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #26 of 77
You guys are retarded.

The mini USB is real. It's part of an EU requirement for standardization of charging portable devices. This will show up on everything you own.

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, it's nice to have some standardization here. Really, industry should have done it a long effing time ago. I say this as a product design engineer.

On the other hand, the dock connector works really well, and of course, you have legacy ecosystem inertia. However, legacy is never a good reason by itself to continue doing something.

Edit: oh, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801 View Post

This has nothing to do with anything. Buck and boost are cheap, efficient if your window is small, well understood, and readily available.

P=IV.
post #27 of 77
The mini-USB maybe in response to the upcoming regulation standard in Europe that calls for a universal plug on mobile devices. It's supposed to be in effect starting next year..
post #28 of 77
camera and lighter design is obvious, anyone can guess that. USB port is retarded, there's no way apple is gonna go for that, they developed 30pin just so every iDevice can integrate.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Idiotic. This is pure BS.

Why would Apple put a mini-USB on a small iPad, when they put a full iPod dock connector on a iPod nano? Answer: they wouldn't, Goldman Sachs just wants to pretend to be savvy to their clients. No wonder they needed bailout money from the Fed. R-tards.

Apple will put a mini-USB for CHARGING purposes because the EU rules that in future devices (at least in future phones) you HAVE to have the mini-USB for charging, so you can use ONE charger for all your devices, instead of having to carry a half dozen when travelling. This might even allow them to ship the charger as an option. (Extra but faster charging....)
Of course they will still keep the dock connector.
post #30 of 77
Quote:

A higher strength-to-weight ratio means it's lighter for the same strength, so products can be made *lighter* and still be as strong. Hence "lighter".
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, I know. But the problem is, much as it might have been distasteful, what they did was not illegal. (They settled, but only to avoid the negative (and continuing) publicity about the charges.)

It's like smoking: If we really feel it's such a problem, then we should have the policy courage to make it illegal. (For the record, I don't smoke; but I respect the right that people have to do things that are legal).

Similarly, if we think Goldman's double-dealing is a problem, then we should make it illegal.

Let's not forget the politicians sucking up to people by way of making it so people who couldn't afford a home were able to get one!...

http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/acts/naha.cfm

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I guess this GS analysis is just clear proof that one should not pay for financial advice these days. You can get more accurate analysis for free from "expert amateurs" and enthusiasts on the web.

Yeah good luck with that, lol
post #33 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A team of analysts for investment bank Goldman Sachs said Monday that their sources lead them to believe Apple will introduce a second-generation iPad during the spring of 2011 that will feature a camera, mini USB and a lighter design ...

if this is true, i may get an iPad next year.
post #34 of 77
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwight View Post

A higher strength-to-weight ratio means it's lighter for the same strength, so products can be made *lighter* and still be as strong. Hence "lighter".

This is almost right. Although, the (likely) design goal is not necessarily that products are made thinner -- we need to be a little more specific. At some point, it just doesn't make sense to make an iPhone "smaller." So, let's make the most of what space we do have. The real win is that you can keep driving wall thickness down for your metal parts. This increases the device's enclosed volume for the same lump of phone in your hand.

The silicon keeps getting smaller and smaller, until you basically have screen, battery, and connectors.

iPhone 4 doesn't get enough credit for just how well-engineered it is. It's disappointing that the antenna thing got so much...coverage. WHEEEEOOOOO :sunglasses:
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by applol View Post

iPhone 4 doesn't get enough credit for just how well-engineered it is.

Ahhh hahahahahaha. Good one!
post #36 of 77
Lighter is definitely a good thing if it doesn't compromise battery life, but there is an optimum thickness for something intended to be held by its edge. Too thin and it seems heavier than it really is because you're having to use finger tips to hold it. I think that could be the source of some of the "it's too heavy" comments regarding the iPad.

I will not buy an iPad because it's too big to be truly portable. If I can't just shove it in a jacket pocket, if I'm forced to carry a bag or stick it under my arm I'm not going to take it with me all the time thereby defeating the whole point of being portable.

I think many buyers of the new 7" Samsung and RIM devices are going to find the same thing is true, that the devices are just a little too big to be true go everywhere devices. Apple will learn from their mistakes and come out with an intermediate sized device that actually fits in the pocket of most coats.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Ahhh hahahahahaha. Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applol View Post

You guys are retarded.

kekeke
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Lighter is definitely a good thing if it doesn't compromise battery life, but there is an optimum thickness for something intended to be held by its edge. Too thin and it seems heavier than it really is because you're having to use finger tips to hold it. I think that could be the source of some of the "it's too heavy" comments regarding the iPad.

I will not buy an iPad because it's too big to be truly portable. If I can't just shove it in a jacket pocket, if I'm forced to carry a bag or stick it under my arm I'm not going to take it with me all the time thereby defeating the whole point of being portable.

I think many buyers of the new 7" Samsung and RIM devices are going to find the same thing is true, that the devices are just a little too big to be true go everywhere devices. Apple will learn from their mistakes and come out with an intermediate sized device that actually fits in the pocket of most coats.

They already have one out. It's called an iPod Touch. Fits most pockets.. I'm not really understanding you. 9.7 okay I understand but 7 is too big also? What is it then? What's the perfect "portable" size for you? I've held the Streak and that thing sticks out of my pants pocket and I can't sit with that thing in my pocket without the risk of breaking it in half. And no I don't have tight pants, I haven't worn one since the 80s touring with Bon Jovi. Just regular pants and it sticks out. If I wear a pants with deep enough pocket, people are looking at me like I'm Ron Jeremy or Tommy Lee below the waist area. Sluts and gay guys look at it more and seem to like it.. I don't know.
post #39 of 77
Webcam is a no brainer. Doubt a USB would be needed, but I do see the need for a SDcard reader. perfect travel companion can now back up your images when you run out of space on your camera, or quickly show pictures you've taken on a bigger screen than the camera.

The only 2 features I personally would like to see to even consider buying a tablet.
post #40 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauerg View Post

Apple will put a mini-USB for CHARGING purposes because the EU rules that in future devices (at least in future phones) you HAVE to have the mini-USB for charging, so you can use ONE charger for all your devices, instead of having to carry a half dozen when travelling. This might even allow them to ship the charger as an option. (Extra €€€ but faster charging....)
Of course they will still keep the dock connector.

This isn't really a law-- it's a memorandum of agreement signed to by the major cell phone makers doing business in Europe. Not sure what the consequences of not following through would be.

Also, the memorandum of agreement is specifically regarding cell phones, so it's not clear to me that something like the iPad would even be covered. It's not like the EU is demanding that all consumer electronics that run on batteries must have the same charger.

Finally, my understanding is that Apple can still get around all that just by shipping a docking/charging station with a micro-USB power connector-- which saves them from having to reengineer their entire lineup just to satisfy the EU market.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Goldman Sachs says Apple planning thinner iPad with camera, mini usb