or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iOS 4.1 version of Apple TV firmware posted, jailbroken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iOS 4.1 version of Apple TV firmware posted, jailbroken

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 
Hackers have succeeding in running a jailbreak exploit for a newly posted Apple TV iOS 4.1 firmware file.

iPhone developer chpwn first noticed the firmware update and posted a link to it on Twitter. "AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Restore.ipsw," a 242 MB download, is available from Apple's download site.

The iPhone Dev-Team subsequently announced that it had already successfully used SHAtter, an in-development iOS 4.1 exploit, to jailbreak the new Apple TV firmware, Maggadget reports .

"Even though the new AppleTV isnt yet in peoples homes, the firmware is available on Apples normal public distribution servers and SHAtter has been used to decrypt its keys," wrote the iPhone Dev Team on their blog.

Apple began shipping the set-top box on Monday, in time for a September delivery date as promised.

Rumors leading up to the Apple TV's Sept. 1 announcement had suggested that a drastically redesigned Apple TV would run iOS and have access to the App Store. However, when the $99 streaming Apple TV was first revealed, it was unclear whether the device was running iOS.

References to a mysterious iProd device in the USB configuration list for iOS turned out to be for the Apple TV, suggesting that the device would use a modified version of iOS.

Although the new Apple TV isn't setup to run third party apps, a special Apple TV App Store may still be in the works. On Sept. 1, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told Bloomberg BusinessWeek that "when the time is right, Apple could open an App Store for the TV that could do for television sets what all those apps have done for the iPhone."
post #2 of 77
Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.
post #3 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereinion View Post

Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

Probably because hacks will be the only way to get apps into the Apple TV. If Apple hadn't been so conservative, they'd of done Apple TV properly and such hacks wouldn't be needed.

Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.
post #4 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereinion View Post

Why on earth does AI put som much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

Because its awesome.

But seriously, hacking the apple tv to run unauthorized apps could have some very interesting results.

Not just games, but things like hulu, vlc, p2p, being able to sync to virtual storage, adding a camera feed with a linked iPhone, even adding flash (just kidding), screen sharing, hacking it to work with a wii remote, the list is endless....
post #5 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereinion View Post

Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

Just ignore the thread and go back to your cave.
post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

Because its awesome.

But seriously, hacking the apple tv to run unauthorized apps could have some very interesting results.

Not just games, but things like hulu, vlc, p2p, being able to sync to virtual storage, adding a camera feed with a linked iPhone, even adding flash (just kidding), screen sharing, hacking it to work with a wii remote, the list is endless....

But Airplay will do this for you without the need for a hack. Run the app on your iphone/ipod, and airplay stream it. Done.
post #7 of 77
Good news. I expect Hulu Plus and Atomic Web Browser to show up on the new AppleTV real soon. Expect weather apps, VLC player, Air Video, and Flash to follow.

post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post


Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.

Things are going to get interesting, that's for sure. Especially if Apple opens the floodgate(app store) - and I expect Apple will.
post #9 of 77
Waiting for someone to successfully allow the new OS to be on the old ATV (if at all possible). So I can have the benefits of both. HDD with some storage and all the new stuff of the iOS (Airplay, rentals etc).

Now THAT would be great :-)
post #10 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

But Airplay will do this for you without the need for a hack. Run the app on your iphone/ipod, and airplay stream it. Done.

Because some people don't own an iPad, or iPhone, it is a bit stupid to have to spend $1000 to get a $99 device to work properly
post #11 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOSWeekly View Post

Because its awesome.

But seriously, hacking the apple tv to run unauthorized apps could have some very interesting results.

Not just games, but things like hulu, vlc, p2p, being able to sync to virtual storage, adding a camera feed with a linked iPhone, even adding flash (just kidding), screen sharing, hacking it to work with a wii remote, the list is endless....

I see - and how are these apps going to be controlled exactly - with an apple remote?!

lmao.

Pointless jailbreak.

Apple will introduce apps when they've worked out how to best control them.
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolo View Post

Waiting for someone to successfully allow the new OS to be on the old ATV (if at all possible). So I can have the benefits of both. HDD with some storage and all the new stuff of the iOS (Airplay, rentals etc).

Now THAT would be great :-)

You don't need the HDD for storage, use your mac and stream, as the device is meant to...
post #13 of 77
Will the new OS run on the older ATV?
Owen stop reading my posts.
Reply
Owen stop reading my posts.
Reply
post #14 of 77
Is there any indication that the new apple Tv has some sort of RAM for app storage/ installation? Wouldn't this be a basic requirement? Just saying!!
post #15 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Because some people don't own an iPad, or iPhone, it is a bit stupid to have to spend $1000 to get a $99 device to work properly

Spend $1000 - on what?! An iPad is around $500

And the $99 device does "work properly", it streams media from your home network and the apple rental store, also netflix if yr in a netflix enabled territory. This is what it's advertised as being able to do, and if you bought it to do anything else on, you should just have bought a mac mini.
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post

Is there any indication that the new apple Tv has some sort of RAM for app storage/ installation? Wouldn't this be a basic requirement? Just saying!!

You don't use RAM for storage, you use a hard drive for storage. I'm sure there's a small harddrive for the OS and buffering content. The whole point is that the device is for streaming content from elsewhere, it's "storage" is unlimited.
post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You don't need the HDD for storage, use your mac and stream, as the device is meant to...

Whoa! Think about what you just said. I absolutely hate having to take out my laptop just because my old apple tv can't hold all of my content. It's a five minute process that is literally a pain in the ass. Sounds stupid, but it gets old...seriously.

Now, with that said, someone makes iOS available for the old apple tv. I hate that I can't use my old apple tv as an airport express anymore. Especiallyy now that I can stream from my phone. Sucks that I have to keep my airport express AND my old apple tv in the bedroom just to have the functionality of apple tv and streaming music with the rest of the house. Dumb. I can understand not streaming video to old apple tv. That's fine. BUT, don't strip a feature that the previous generation could do before. (I know it can still do it from my computer but I want to do it from my idevices seeing that they can stream to my airport express).
post #18 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Will the new OS run on the older ATV?

"Existing Apple TV owners are unable to take advantage of the new firmware due to fundamental differences in the hardware between the devices. " from MacRumors. I suspect the hacks can't address this issue, although I wish Apple would at least do some sort of update for us original owners.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #19 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

"Existing Apple TV owners are unable to take advantage of the new firmware due to fundamental differences in the hardware between the devices. " from MacRumors. I suspect the hacks can't address this issue, although I wish Apple would at least do some sort of update for us original owners.

It is very, very easy to hack your AppleTv to add Boxee and XBMC. Just copy the installer to a USB stick, stick in the back of your AppleTV, restart and let it do its thing. Boxee is a great thing to have on your AppleTV, is updated regularly and works well. There's a free remote control app for your iPod touch/iPhone too. Give it a try - it will give your old AppleTv a new lease of life.
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You don't use RAM for storage, you use a hard drive for storage. I'm sure there's a small harddrive for the OS and buffering content. The whole point is that the device is for streaming content from elsewhere, it's "storage" is unlimited.

No, Bytor's question was a good valid question. The AppleTV must have a certain amount of storage to store the operating system, plus storage to buffer a video that is being streamed. Surely it's got to be at least 1GB. We'll find out soon enough when we see the tear-down reports in a couple of days time!
post #21 of 77
I had no interest in jailbreaking my phone, but, I am intrigued by the possibilities with the new AppleTV.
post #22 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Probably because hacks will be the only way to get apps into the Apple TV. If Apple hadn't been so conservative, they'd of done Apple TV properly and such hacks wouldn't be needed.

Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.


You forget it's not a major project it's been out for years and it's just a hobby/novelty to Apple. You say there being conservative do you know for sure if there going to offer a app store? No you don't. It took how long for competitors to attempt this market? Geez one whole refresh gets everyone all scared and jumping and another oo let's follow apple bandwagon.
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
White Nexus 7 8GB
Black & Slate iPhone 5 32GB AT&T
Reply
post #23 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I had no interest in jailbreaking my phone, but, I am intrigued by the possibilities with the new AppleTV.

Frankly, the older ones had more capability after they were hacked than I can see the new ones having.
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereinion View Post

Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

That world? I have a 3 word phrase for you, that I'm not going to post.

Arrogance is stunning.
post #25 of 77
I'm curious about this - watching to see if Boxee can be squeezed in, like they did for the old one.

I have and Like Dish Network with their 622 DVR, but looking to cut costs. We will be dropping it soon for an antenna and internet sources. I'm evaluating the pros/cons and costs of several options. An antenna is cheap and I already have the Xbox.

- Live TV only, Netflix (Requires XBox Live Gold), Zune Video. Hulu+ is supposed to be available on the Xbox early 2011...
- Live TV Only, Roku With Amazon + Netflix
- Live TV only, AppleTV Rentals + Netflix
- Tivo DVR, with Netflix + Amazon Video
- Home-brew HTPC DVR, Linux with MythTV, Boxee/Hulu etc. Looks Like Amazon should work (eww flash). Keep Netflix via XBox.

I believe that Apple will allow apps on the AppleTV eventually, but like the iPhone, it may be a year away, and can't weigh in the choice now. If the jailbreaking community can hack Boxee onto it (as they did for the older one), it would give it a big boost.

On the other hand, both the AppleTV and Roku are so cheap, that they are almost disposable. If I don't like them, I could resell and not really lose much! In the meantime, I have an old ex-Windows box I will use to test the HTPC software to see if I like it.
post #26 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.

In what way? It will have 3 features that AppleTV doesn't? And it will also float by completely unknown to the public like every hardware product Google has ever touched? While the Apple TV appears to people as the only device to play nice with the iPhone/iPod/iPad they already have?

Yea, I thought so.
post #27 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post

I had no interest in jailbreaking my phone, but, I am intrigued by the possibilities with the new AppleTV.

a jailbroken iPhone is a wonderful thing, especially if its an iPhone 4. You're missing out, dude.
post #28 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Hackers have succeeding

Does your writer speeeking inglish?

YOur standards are slipping!
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That world? I have a 3 word phrase for you, that I'm not going to post.

Arrogance is stunning.

It used to be strictly enforced policy here on AI that no hacking information was allowed. Personally, I think they should have maintained this stance.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #30 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Does your writer speeeking inglish?

YOur standards are slipping!

MAybe THat's COrrect SEntence STructure FOr inglish, AS OPposed TO English.
post #31 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

It is very, very easy to hack your AppleTv to add Boxee and XBMC. Just copy the installer to a USB stick, stick in the back of your AppleTV, restart and let it do its thing. Boxee is a great thing to have on your AppleTV, is updated regularly and works well. There's a free remote control app for your iPod touch/iPhone too. Give it a try - it will give your old AppleTv a new lease of life.

Thanks, I am aware of all you say, I just would prefer an Apple update to allow the features of the new Apple TV that's all. But you tempt me ...
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #32 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereinion View Post

Why on earth does AI put so much effort on reporting on these hacks? If I want that information I could go to the hacker paradise. I prefer to stay outside that world.

Or apparently if you want this information, you can navigate to AI, click on an article that's clearly about it, then comment...

Hmm
post #33 of 77
We all knew it. Apple can't hide their plans after all their attempts. The app store games would look nice on my TV even if Apple has to blow-up the pixels.
post #34 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Will the new OS run on the older ATV?

No.

Never.

Not possible.

Different processor and hardware architecture. Think of it as a different product line. Sorry, that ship has sailed.


As for the jailbreak, its just uninteresting because it won't attract interesting app developers... companies with big content aren't going to bring it to a hacked version of Apple's hobby product. I think we'll see Apple open ATV to 3rd parties, they just may not do it using the conventional AppStore user interface. It might be a more private internal work-with-external-channel-developers approach and new options will just appear in the menus when the system updates.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
Reply
post #35 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

I see - and how are these apps going to be controlled exactly - with an apple remote?!

lmao.

Pointless jailbreak.

Apple will introduce apps when they've worked out how to best control them.

Netflix is an app, everything you do on Apple TV is done through an app. Apple knows how to control apps on Apple TV. The only people that don't know how apps will be controled are the ones trying to figure out how iPhone Apps would be controlled on Apple TV without coming to the simple realization that iPhone Apps won't be on Apple TV.

If the jailbreak does allow apps to be installed, then any apps installed would be ones made for Apple TV. Developers make Cydia only iPhone apps, if there's a market they'd do the same for Apple TV.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #36 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Whoa! Think about what you just said. I absolutely hate having to take out my laptop just because my old apple tv can't hold all of my content. It's a five minute process that is literally a pain in the ass. Sounds stupid, but it gets old...seriously.

Now, with that said, someone makes iOS available for the old apple tv. I hate that I can't use my old apple tv as an airport express anymore. Especiallyy now that I can stream from my phone. Sucks that I have to keep my airport express AND my old apple tv in the bedroom just to have the functionality of apple tv and streaming music with the rest of the house. Dumb. I can understand not streaming video to old apple tv. That's fine. BUT, don't strip a feature that the previous generation could do before. (I know it can still do it from my computer but I want to do it from my idevices seeing that they can stream to my airport express).

If getting out your laptop is a literal pain in the ass, you shouldn't keep it there. 5 min to get it out of there seems quite fast.
Hoping you meant figurative instead of literal.
post #37 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Probably because hacks will be the only way to get apps into the Apple TV. If Apple hadn't been so conservative, they'd of done Apple TV properly and such hacks wouldn't be needed.

Google TV is going to eat Apple TV for breakfast.

Kotatsu's first post in 2005:

"I don't own a cell phone. Never have.
Why? Because I'm never far from a land line, so why waste my money on something I have no need for?"

This guy is a real visionary and technophile, let's hang on every prediction he makes.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #38 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That world? I have a 3 word phrase for you, that I'm not going to post.

Arrogance is stunning.

And don't come back with the equivalent of - "well they started it!"

Why even get dragged to that level?

And for the record, I don't jailbreak because my current set of iDevices have to interface with corporate-governed secure systems, and I require a high degree of reliability to do that. Not worth the risk, but fun to watch.
post #39 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You don't need the HDD for storage, use your mac and stream, as the device is meant to...

don't agree. The current ATV allows me to watch episodes of TV series, movies, pictures and listen to my music without having to always power on my MacBook Pro and login and wait...
Having some internal storage is truly great, so I can lay back, turn ATV on and enjoy the latest 3 unwatched episodes of a TV series, see all the pics of holidays, and also listen to hours and hours of music... Without turning on half of the computers in my house...
16 GB of internal storage, nowadays, is truly poor. Too poor for what the ATV is meant to do in the living room.

And if you tried to stream an HD movie over Airport Extreme WIFI (N), then you know why internal storage is beneficial...
post #40 of 77
Now if someone can reverse engineer airplay and make a daemon that'll show up on ATV (jailbroken or not) and stream my mkv's.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › iOS 4.1 version of Apple TV firmware posted, jailbroken