or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 on Oct. 26

Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 on Oct. 26

post #1 of 70
Microsoft on Tuesday announced that it will launch Office for Mac 2011, the latest version of its top-selling software suite, on Oct. 26, with preorders now being taken.

All versions of Office for Mac 2011 are now available for preorder from Amazon. They include the Home and Student Edition, Home and Business, and separate purchases of PowerPoint for Mac, Word for Mac and Excel for Mac.

On the official Office for Mac 2011 blog, the company also released its last behind-the-scenes look at the development of the latest version of Office. The company highlighted the new "Dynamic Reorder" feature, which gives users the ability to interactively reorder all layers in a document or presentation.

Office for Mac 2011 also includes a new "Full Screen" view that offers two perspectives optimized for writing and another for reading.

Microsoft also said that the newest Office for Mac was developed with performance improvements a top priority. The team said they hope users appreciate the effort that went into it when they experience the launch speed of each application, as well as the overall speed of the suite.

Office for Mac 2011 was sent to manufacturing earlier this month, and Amazon had previously listed the Oct. 26 date. However, Tuesday's announcement is the official confirmation of when it will launch.

Customers who purchase Office 2008 for Mac between Aug. 1, 2010 and Nov. 30, 2010 are eligible for a free upgrade. All other users will have to purchase the standalone versions. Prices start at $119 for the Home and Student version, which lacks Outlook, and $199 for the Home and Business version. An Academic version will also be offered to qualifying students and educators for $99.

For more, see AppleInsider's previous coverage of Office for Mac 2011:

Microsoft showcases co-authoring capabilities of Office 2011 for Mac

Office for Mac 2011 to feature co-authoring, ribbon interface

Road to Office 2011 for Mac: A New Hope

Road to Office 2011: New looks, support for Exchange, VBA

Microsoft officially unveils key Office 2011 for Mac features
post #2 of 70
Until I can get Access for Mac, I'm not really interested. I use Office as a last resort for compatibility sake only. Plus I have a PC sitting side by side with my Mac so I just use Windows whenever the need arises.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #3 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Until I can get Access for Mac, I'm not really interested. I use Office as a last resort for compatibility sake only. Plus I have a PC sitting side by side with my Mac so I just use Windows whenever the need arises.

access? What on earth for?
post #4 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft also said that the newest Office for Mac was developed with performance improvements a top priority. The team said they hope users appreciate the effort that went into it when they experience the launch speed of each application, as well as the overall speed of the suite.

Using Office 2011 Beta 6 (system with Snow Leopard and 2 GB RAM), I can say that Office is very slow. Now, I remember using a trial of Office 2008 and that wasn't very fast at all either, and launch time for Office 2011 seems fine, but actual usage is extremely slow when I compare it to Pages. Opening long documents takes forever, and doing a word count is not instant by a long shot. I mean, other than that it works fine (and unlike Pages has auto save), but I mean, performance is not something they can yet brag about.
post #5 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

It is a an SQL compliant DB. I need it because I write a lot of Access scripts/code for my Windows co-workers. Why do you care anyway? It is part of Office Pro for Windows so I think it would be nice to have on the Mac version.

post #6 of 70
Office 2011 ? It does not interest me. I already have it at the office, and I can tell you that the much touted "ribbon" is a pain in the bum, you just can't find the regular menus and have to relearn the short cuts. Plus the graphs are always the same boring stuff... No matrix charts, no waterfall, the bubbles charts are always difficult to get. The gallery ? What's so new ? Keynote does it very well. Office 2011 for Mac ? No thx !
post #7 of 70
The licensing scheme Microsoft is using for the release is the reason I am not getting it. I can't install it on my Mac Pro & my Mac Book Pro at all now. I have to have a special "upgraded" license now where as in the path I could use Office on either machine, just not at the same time. Microsoft is taking that away now and the license is tied to just one machine now. Shame they are looking for even more money from us poor mac users now. This is like Microsoft is shooting itself in there foot now screwing legitimate users now for more money.

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

Mac Pro Dual 2.8 Quad (2nd gen), 14G Ram, Two DVD-RW Drives, OS X 10.9
Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, SuperDrive, ATI X1600, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.7
1TB Time Capsule

post #8 of 70
I still need to use Office on both Mac and PC, but that video was incredibly poor and made non-compelling arguments.

The best they can come up with is "well, it's faster", there's a nicer interface for reordering layers and there's a better read mode for Word"? THAT'S IT?? It had better be a lot more than that. I am looking forward to using Outlook on the Mac instead of Entourage. I'm hoping sync works better. In Word, I'm far less concerned about a fancy UI to reorder layers than I am with the fact that it's almost impossible to drop an image exactly where you want it. And that the built-in format defaults for such things as text boxes are absurd. And that while Styles was improved from previous versions, it's still convoluted and frequently does things you wouldn't expect.

The ribbon interface doesn't bother me (it did at first, but I got used to it) except that in Office 2007 for Windows, you can't add any functions to the toolbar. I used to add such things as crossout and lower caps formatting in Word and Excel and additional default borders in Excel.
post #9 of 70
Quote:

It is a an SQL compliant DB. I need it because I write a lot of Access scripts/code for my Windows co-workers. Why do you care anyway? It is part of Office Pro for Windows so I think it would be nice to have on the Mac version.

I've just never heard of access being used except in legacy systems. I didn't think it was something MS was actively developing, but just keeping around for the sake of backwards compatibility.

Perhaps I've been working with MySQL and Oracle for too long Apologies if I offended you.
post #10 of 70
I may end up getting it...we'll see. I'm still running an old copy of Office V.x or whatever it's called---it's old as hell and slow. But it works. As for the ribbon, it's the one thing Microsloth has done that I like. I know many that don't like it, but I do. When we got Office 2007 at work (PC), it took me a while to get used to it, but I ended up loving the ribbon and was excited for it to come to Mac in 2008. Of course, Microsloth killed the ribbon for that version, because "Mac users were expecting a more Mac-like interface and we didn't want to copy the ribbon wholesale from the PC version." WTF? I hated the 2008 trial and decided against it.

As my current version is VERY long in the tooth, I may go for it. We'll see.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #11 of 70
Quote:

Small database tools like Microsoft Access and Filemaker Pro are great tools, but the problem is that the average person does not know how to structure a database properly. Just as non-designers frequently make really bad looking page layouts whether using Word or Adobe In-Design, people without good database skills make really poor database designs, that I like to say are "akin to ransom notes."

If the database is only for your own personal use, no biggie, but if this is a database that's used in a business environment, this can lead to big legacy issues that make it impossible to integrate that database with other applications and tools.

The average Office user doesn't need Access. They can use Excel for most of what they would use Access for. I have no problem with Access not being part of the basic Office package. But it would be nice if they would restore Macros. I had many reformatting Macros that worked quite well that I can no longer use in my current version of Mac Office.
post #12 of 70
Is it finally colour managed?
post #13 of 70
Been using the beta for a few months now. Very much worth the upgrade.

#1 Speed - way faster startups, closes and just in general then 08.
#2 UI - finally we get ribbon and don't have to use the side-pane. I was never a huge fan of it (though it did have SOME good functionality).
#3 Outlook
#4 Full screen - yes it was lifted from iWorks and other less known programs before that, but it is very well implemented or well copied if you will.

That is all I can come up with right now, but will definitely be upgrading when it ships.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #14 of 70
I will wait to see if there is a new iwork and then compare the two. I may buy it just to make it easier to read student essays in the new format.
rmusikantow
rmusikantow
post #15 of 70
My Apple TV is getting closer.

Sep 28, 2010 10:52 AM Arrived at FedEx location ANCHORAGE, AK

post #16 of 70
Damn so they're pulling an Apple wherein 'October' means 'as late in October as we can manage' - but at least they announce it, rather than the NZ launch of iPhone 4 being uncertain right up until midday of the last day of its month .

Really looking forward to this - well prepared having opted for iWork '09 instead on my last reinstall, as my Office 2008 installer wanted rosetta installed, lol. Trying to rely on iWork's 'compatibility' with Office is seriously painful. And the MBU seems to be really proud of what they've done with Office 2011. I know very well that still when I'll get it I will find bugs within minutes that will NEVER be fixed, but hey, I've been doing that since at least Tiger on OS X, so maybe one day all WILL be well .
post #17 of 70
Quote:

Lots of DBs on Mac or Windows are SQL compliant. But if you write it Access scripts for coworkers fine, but I don't think you'll ever see it on the Mac. There just isn't the demand with better solutions available.
post #18 of 70
and why should I care?

Office stopped being anything more than an occasional use niche product for me after I installed Office 2008.

I understand that some people still are required to use it, and I pity them.

No one will cheer louder than I when Monopocrapsoft comes crashing down on itself.
post #19 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Using Office 2011 Beta 6 (system with Snow Leopard and 2 GB RAM), I can say that Office is very slow. Now, I remember using a trial of Office 2008 and that wasn't very fast at all either, and launch time for Office 2011 seems fine, but actual usage is extremely slow when I compare it to Pages. Opening long documents takes forever, and doing a word count is not instant by a long shot. I mean, other than that it works fine (and unlike Pages has auto save), but I mean, performance is not something they can yet brag about.

It may be a RAM issue. I have Beta 6 and 8 gigs of RAM, and the whole office suite just zips along.
post #20 of 70
No thanks...I love Pages!
post #21 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

and why should I care?

Office stopped being anything more than an occasional use niche product for me after I installed Office 2008.

I understand that some people still are required to use it, and I pity them.

No one will cheer louder than I when Monopocrapsoft comes crashing down on itself.

Office is a fine product and millions of people use it daily on their Macs and PCs (I use both). Microsoft is NOT coming down crashing on itself anytime in the foreseeable future and Office is NOT "crap".

Your post is silly and childish.
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #22 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

It may be a RAM issue. I have Beta 6 and 8 gigs of RAM, and the whole office suite just zips along.

I agree, 2GB of RAM is the bare minimum needed for the OS to really operate I think. Start running more than one app on top of that and it gets slow. The fact the Quad Core Mac Pro only has 3GB is stupid when the laptops and imacs have 4GB. Put at least 6 in the quad core, and 12GB in the 8 and 12 core. Minimum.
post #23 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I still need to use Office on both Mac and PC, but that video was incredibly poor and made non-compelling arguments.

The best they can come up with is "well, it's faster", there's a nicer interface for reordering layers and there's a better read mode for Word"? THAT'S IT?? It had better be a lot more than that. I am looking forward to using Outlook on the Mac instead of Entourage. I'm hoping sync works better. In Word, I'm far less concerned about a fancy UI to reorder layers than I am with the fact that it's almost impossible to drop an image exactly where you want it. And that the built-in format defaults for such things as text boxes are absurd. And that while Styles was improved from previous versions, it's still convoluted and frequently does things you wouldn't expect.

The ribbon interface doesn't bother me (it did at first, but I got used to it) except that in Office 2007 for Windows, you can't add any functions to the toolbar. I used to add such things as crossout and lower caps formatting in Word and Excel and additional default borders in Excel.

hate to disappoint you but Outlook is as slow and clunky as entourage was, sync is slow. now there are some features you may like but it comes as such a high price in speed that i stopped using it and went back to mac mail.
post #24 of 70
Quote:

i have the OEM copy and 8 gigs of ram on a mac pro and it is horribly slow with Outlook using exchange 2007.

i will install it on my imac which has a newer processor and see if it is any better...
post #25 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

No thanks...I love Pages!

other than outlook 2011 (i was so hoping it would be well done) i have no interest in Office or apple's 'office' products. i like open office....
post #26 of 70
Quote:

I've just never heard of access being used except in legacy systems. I didn't think it was something MS was actively developing, but just keeping around for the sake of backwards compatibility.

Perhaps I've been working with MySQL and Oracle for too long Apologies if I offended you.

Well Access has been updated regularly. The newest version 2010, includes compatibility with SharePoint which is used by many local government organizations. It is quite the Windows-centric product with a lot of compatibility amongst the other Windows Office products.

The Mac is lacking in a quick desktop SQL database other than some quirky unknown applications that may be gone without notice tomorrow. Filemaker is not SQL. Access is a nice tool when used as a front end to MS SQL on a local network as it is really easy to build GUIs and output reports.

Sure, MySql and Oracle are great tools for performance database deployments however legacy or not, there is nothing quite as convenient for desktop DB applications as Access, especially not on a Mac as there is nothing comparable.

post #27 of 70
maybe my requirements aren't heavy enough, but I've switched to iWork for company use here and I don't care what M$ releases anymore. Ridiculous prices for horrible bloatware.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
post #28 of 70
Forget MS Office people, use OpenOffice!

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's free, and just as good.
post #29 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Forget MS Office people, use OpenOffice!

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's free, and just as good.

Open Office sucks. It's like going back to Office 97 or something. I love the ribbon bar of Office 2007 for Windows. I am probably going to get my wife to get the Academic version Office 2011...
post #30 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Open Office sucks. It's like going back to Office 97 or something. I love the ribbon bar of Office 2007 for Windows. I am probably going to get my wife to get the Academic version Office 2011...

Correct, it's like a version of MS office without all the slow bloat and annoying new features and changes that get made just for the sake of change. If you haven't tried open office lately, definitely check it out. It's so much faster than it used to be. I agree it's not pretty. But it's just as functional and free.
post #31 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Correct, it's like a version of MS office without all the slow bloat and annoying new features and changes that get made just for the sake of change. If you haven't tried open office lately, definitely check it out. It's so much faster than it used to be. I agree it's not pretty. But it's just as functional and free.

I have used it and hated it. Like going back in a time machine. I tried to make labels with it and got disgusted with it and quit. I downloaded the trial to Office 2008 and had them made in 10 minutes. Free does not always equal good.
post #32 of 70
Quote:

I have used it and hated it. Like going back in a time machine. I tried to make labels with it and got disgusted with it and quit. I downloaded the trial to Office 2008 and had them made in 10 minutes. Free does not always equal good.

i thought you just said you loved the ribbon on windows? no ribbon on office 2008 for the mac. and the ribbon on 2011 isn't identical to office 2010 for win.
for some people open office doesn't 'do it'. if you work on across win, apple, linux distro, the OO is just fine (when text editor won't do lol).
post #33 of 70
Quote:

wot ??? 8GB to run Office ? this is crazy !
post #34 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i have the OEM copy and 8 gigs of ram on a mac pro and it is horribly slow with Outlook using exchange 2007.

i will install it on my imac which has a newer processor and see if it is any better...

YMMV, however, I have one of the new quad core i7 iMacs with 8 GB of RAM, and there is no slowness whatsoever. The whole suite just zips along. This was/is not the case with 2008, which is still sluggish on the iMac.

It also runs great on my 2009 MBP with 4 GB of RAM
post #35 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomshala View Post

wot ??? 8GB to run Office ? this is crazy !

I never said you needed 8 GB of RAM, I just said what my system at work had.

the Beta runs great on my 2009 MBP at home, which as a dual core processor and 4 GB of RAM.
post #36 of 70
Quote:

Amen, You are correct!

Well, I'm sure things like Open Office, iWork, NeoOffice, work fine for some folks. Unfortunately for me (and millions of others), I would never take the chance of sending a file that does not open properly or that is formatted wrong to a client..

Like it or not most of the corporate world operates in the Office ecosystem . I'm sure the alternatives are fine for personal use or for a small group that doesn't have interact with anyone besides themselves, but not for anyone serious with doing interactive business.
post #37 of 70
Quote:

YMMV, however, I have one of the new quad core i7 iMacs with 8 GB of RAM, and there is no slowness whatsoever. The whole suite just zips along. This was/is not the case with 2008, which is still sluggish on the iMac.

It also runs great on my 2009 MBP with 4 GB of RAM

I would venture a guess that 2GB of RAM (previous poster's spec) is insufficient not only for Office, but for many a great deal of other applications. I use Aperture a lot and usually have Mail and Safari in the background. Looking at Activity Monitor, I can see that those 3 programs plus Mac OS X itself pretty much chew up 2GB. Throw in Office and you've exceeded what's available in terms of physical memory.

The other important note is that Office 2008 included legacy code that requires the Rosetta layer to translate PPC to Intel. There's a slight performance hit there. Microsoft has now said that Office 2011 will only run on Intel, which means that all of the legacy code has been stripped out, so it's no wonder that it will run faster on Intel hardware as opposed to Office 2008, provided that you have sufficient memory available.
post #38 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

I would venture a guess that 2GB of RAM (previous poster's spec) is insufficient not only for Office, but for many a great deal of other applications. I use Aperture a lot and usually have Mail and Safari in the background. Looking at Activity Monitor, I can see that those 3 programs plus Mac OS X itself pretty much chew up 2GB. Throw in Office and you've exceeded what's available in terms of physical memory.

The other important note is that Office 2008 included legacy code that requires the Rosetta layer to translate PPC to Intel. There's a slight performance hit there. Microsoft has now said that Office 2011 will only run on Intel, which means that all of the legacy code has been stripped out, so it's no wonder that it will run faster on Intel hardware as opposed to Office 2008, provided that you have sufficient memory available.

i just installed it on my imac, which is newer than my work mac pro, and i will say that it seems a bit 'snappier' than 2008 regarding word, excel, pp. But it took 2 hours to sync outlook at the office on a fast lan. will sync from home and see how long it takes. outlook at the office was not snappy at all. it does have some neat features but was so sluggish that i stopped using it. will give it a try here at home with better processor and see if i can stomach using it.
post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

maybe my requirements aren't heavy enough, but I've switched to iWork for company use here and I don't care what M$ releases anymore. Ridiculous prices for horrible bloatware.

It's MS now not M$, didn't you get the memo? Apple passed them in MC and we all agreed not to use $ anymore since MS is on the way down the tubes. Otherwise, totally agree with you
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #40 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i just installed it on my imac, which is newer than my work mac pro, and i will say that it seems a bit 'snappier' than 2008 regarding word, excel, pp. But it took 2 hours to sync outlook at the office on a fast lan. will sync from home and see how long it takes. outlook at the office was not snappy at all. it does have some neat features but was so sluggish that i stopped using it. will give it a try here at home with better processor and see if i can stomach using it.

something is definitely wrong then, as it shouldn't take that long to sync at all. I was reading somewhere that Outlook does not support 2003 Server, so that may be an issue.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft to launch Office for Mac 2011 on Oct. 26