or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The top 20% should hold X% of the nation's wealth

The top 20% should hold X% of the nation's wealth - Page 3

Poll Results: The top 20% should hold X% of the nations wealth. What is your ideal X?

• 16% (2)
    20%
  • 41% (5)
    30%
  • 8% (1)
    40%
  • 0% (0)
    50%
  • 8% (1)
    60%
  • 8% (1)
    70%
  • 16% (2)
    80%
  • 0% (0)
    90%
12 Total Votes  
post #81 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Do you or anyone else have any good examples of it happening freely outside of taxation?

Not sure what you're asking? Examples of the top 20% having only 30% of the wealth?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #82 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

What do you mean?

I listened to cspan radio a lot in the US and I can't tell you how many times I heard people say "We're the greatest country on earth and that's why everybody want's to come here". The fact is everybody doesn't want to go to the US. Europe has more people emmigrating to it for a start. I'm not bashing the US, it's still popular, but so are other places.
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #83 of 122
Quote:

Not sure what you're asking? Examples of the top 20% having only 30% of the wealth?

Yes, at least where that happens in individual situations. So not neccessarily as a country but as a village or group of people where that degree of sharing freely takes place.

post #84 of 122
Quote:

Yes, at least where that happens in individual situations. So not neccessarily as a country but as a village or group of people where that degree of sharing freely takes place.

No, I don't know of any examples.

post #85 of 122
Quote:

No, I don't know of any examples.

I would imagine that they would all be community level Communist collectives.
post #86 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Denmark's neighbours are Norway, which is the richest nation in the world, and Sweden and Germany. All of these nations have a better standard of living than the United States of America.

Hey... if you're happy about Denmark then live there...but don't throw outrageous claims about...

Quote:

America's neighbours are Canada and Mexico.

Aced your Geography test?

Quote:

This figure is impossible. You have made it up.

How many people immigrated to Denmark last year?
post #87 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I don't think so. I think 30% would be is far beyond where the theories of the free market bunch would actually start to take effect and wipe out entrepreneurism and hard work. Productivity would halt and the whole nation would be poor. This is exactly how communists systems have always failed. Due to human nature, we do not work our asses off for the better good as long as doing so won't make us any better off than the next guy. We need a good amount of capitalism to keep us productive.

The difference between me and Jazzy and MJ1970 is exactly how much capitalism is best. They believe in 100% capitalism (or 90%) and I think that's just as disastrous as 100% Communism. What we need is middle ground. We need to give entrepreneurs the opportunity to build the Ikeas and the Nokias and the Siemenses and the wind turbine companies to maintain the level of economic progress. And we need to give the Average Joe the feeling that their hard work is making them happy. AND we need to give the less fortunate a tolerable basic standard of living so that they don't have to worry about how to pay for the doctor if they get the flu or whether they will have to eat from a garbage can again next week.

What income disparity does is it makes the goal of wealth impossible for most people to attain, so they give up. It's simply not worth working 120 hours a week when your boss works 50 and has 100x more money.

Yes, that's certainly more realistic for todays world.

post #88 of 122
Quote:

I would imagine that they would all be community level Communist collectives.

Anything in the religious relm I wonder?

post #89 of 122
Quote:

Anything in the religious relm I wonder?

Good point. I believe many monasteries work this way, at least in theory. It starts to look like theory often isn't practice when top Buddhist monks drive around in Mercedes, though.
post #90 of 122
Quote:

Denmark's neighbours are Norway, which is the richest nation in the world, and Sweden and Germany. All of these nations have a better standard of living than the United States of America. If you live there, you're not going to jump the border to Denmark. Are you.

America's neighbours are Canada and Mexico.

Denmark is not America. Not every nation in the world has a border on Mexico. Get a fucking passport. You will see this for yourself.

And your figures are totally made up. "We probably had five million people sneak into the United States last year." This figure. Use your brain. This figure is impossible. You have made it up.

Damn Mumbo Jumbo, got enough hate going there for Mexicans? I don't believe I said any number you are quoting there. Since you didn't use the quote feature, as usual, you're just making crap up.

You are right that Denmark is not America. First most of the neighbors you cite are separated from it by bodies of water. Secondly, what you should have noted is that not all of Denmark's neighbors are former colonies who were fucked over by the continent and now someone else is expected to take up the toil for cleaning up the mess.

Perhaps we should just send the EU a big oil "damn you fucked up" bill for any immigration costs we have. They appear to have plenty of money to redistribute. Sure their historic advantage that you note and they exploit today wasn't created by colonialism at all. Also anyone using that advantage to attempt to lord over the countries that were previously colonized would absolutely be racist for ignoring such history and proclaiming one group to be better than the other.

Quote:

What a bizarre measure of the quality of a country.

More people shoplift from Wal•Mart than Gucci. So Wal•Mart must be a better store.

That is crazy reasoning. Now imagine if someone started an entire thread based around the concept of two numbers matching with no context provided at all. Wouldn't anyone who would support that reasoning be an absolute idiot?

Quote:

I don't think so. I think 30% would be is far beyond where the theories of the free market bunch would actually start to take effect and wipe out entrepreneurism and hard work. Productivity would halt and the whole nation would be poor. This is exactly how communists systems have always failed. Due to human nature, we do not work our asses off for the better good as long as doing so won't make us any better off than the next guy. We need a good amount of capitalism to keep us productive.

The difference between me and Jazzy and MJ1970 is exactly how much capitalism is best. They believe in 100% capitalism (or 90%) and I think that's just as disastrous as 100% Communism. What we need is middle ground. We need to give entrepreneurs the opportunity to build the Ikeas and the Nokias and the Siemenses and the wind turbine companies to maintain the level of economic progress. And we need to give the Average Joe the feeling that their hard work is making them happy. AND we need to give the less fortunate a tolerable basic standard of living so that they don't have to worry about how to pay for the doctor if they get the flu or whether they will have to eat from a garbage can again next week.

What income disparity does is it makes the goal of wealth impossible for most people to attain, so they give up. It's simply not worth working 120 hours a week when your boss works 50 and has 100x more money.

Apparently you aren't aware that government spending is over 30% of our GDP. Every time the minimum wage has been raised, the unemployment rate has gone up. Likewise extensions in unemployment benefits have raised the long term unemployment rate. Reality is exactly the opposite of what you claim here. Also, strangely inconsistent, you claim profoundly progressive taxes are acceptable because the rich can still have a high standard of living even without the money whereas the poor will barely get by. Then here you declare they'll simply stop working because they have such choices as to whether to work or not work and get ahead or not get ahead.

The biggest predictor of income is still education. Why is greed assigned as the primary cause when marital status and education are very strong proxies for income attainment? It's very clear marriage is on the decline, especially for the lower classes. You look at household formation and note more and more single parent families. My friend's sister is a great example. She barely passed high school. She was always about the drama and the parties and has a couple kids now while working at Hooters. She is considered a "household." Meanwhile in the circles my wife and I often frequent, people are married, educated and often have double incomes.

I would bet that when controlled for such factors, they would account for the overwhelming majority growing wealth disparities, especially when we look at quintiles and not outliers. The top and bottom 1% of anything never show true trends. They are outliers by definition. You look at that chart and note to yourself those households with educated couples earning, on average $102-156K and see the single parent, lack of education households trying to compare while earning $20-28k. The gap will keep growing because ever larger numbers of females are entering the workforce, becoming educated and bringing home bigger paychecks.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #91 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Damn Mumbo Jumbo, got enough hate going there for Mexicans? I don't believe I said any number you are quoting there.

I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing Camp David. You are annoying.

Quote:

First most of the neighbors you cite are separated from it by bodies of water.

Firstly this is irrelevant, secondly Denmark and Sweden are so close an elk can swim across the sound, thirdly you can take a train from Norway to Denmark (via Sweden, it goes through a tunnel, Norway and Sweden share thousands of kilometers of border), fourthly you are very annoying.

Quote:

Perhaps we should just send the EU a big oil "damn you fucked up" bill for any immigration costs we have. They appear to have plenty of money to redistribute. Sure their historic advantage that you note and they exploit today wasn't created by colonialism at all. Also anyone using that advantage to attempt to lord over the countries that were previously colonized would absolutely be racist for ignoring such history and proclaiming one group to be better than the other.

This doesn't even make any fucking sense.
post #92 of 122
Quote:

Seriously. He's either getting drunk far more often than before or he's losing grey matter at an alarming rate.
post #93 of 122
Quote:

Seriously. He's either getting drunk far more often than before or he's losing grey matter at an alarming rate.

It's called desperation. He doesn't have anything to back up his arguments and yet he keeps trying to say something that covers it and it comes out jibberish.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #94 of 122
Quote:

I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing Camp David. You are annoying.

So you acting like a racist doesn't matter if you think I'm annoying. That sure is some sound reasoning.

Quote:
Firstly this is irrelevant, secondly Denmark and Sweden are so close an elk can swim across the sound, thirdly you can take a train from Norway to Denmark (via Sweden, it goes through a tunnel, Norway and Sweden share thousands of kilometers of border), fourthly you are very annoying.

Yes you've hit it perfectly. All the people who want to illegally go to Denmark just take a nice swim in those chilly waters or hop a train. This all is relevant because I'm annoying.

Quote:

It doesn't make any sense to you that the growth of a group or country might be lower than than another country when the former oppressed and subjugated the latter for a century or more?

Mexico was a colony of Spain. Spain's rampant racism, conquest and theft of wealth is part of why Mexico is the way it is today. You point at it and along with simply hating on Mexicans, again declare that these other countries are superior not through any actions of their own. They "got ahead" by not being held back due to colonization.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? Is there any former colony of a colonial power that you would hold in the same esteem as the nations you just noted. If not blame the colonial powers, not the colonies. You're reasoning is like blaming the raped for making the rapist rape them.

post #95 of 122
Quote:

Sorry but your inability to comprehend isn't proof of my limitation but proof of your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It's called desperation. He doesn't have anything to back up his arguments and yet he keeps trying to say something that covers it and it comes out jibberish.

Should we go back and find all those Jimmac, Democrats are in for a generation Republicans are a permanent minority party, Obama's wonderful plans and leadership are going to cement and seal the deal posts you have on here?

Talk about your desperation indeed. You have been proven about as wrong as a person can be proven Jimmac. I'm shocked you still are willing to assert anything given how wrong you've been.

post #96 of 122
Quote:

So you acting like a racist doesn't matter if you think I'm annoying. That sure is some sound reasoning.

Snip: trumptman vs logic round IVIVIXXVIIVIIVV

eople who want to illegally go to Denmark just take a nice swim in those chilly waters or hop a train. This all is relevant because I'm annoying.

Didn't read your post. You're spoiling for a fight and being a real pain in the arse and your racist shit doesn't make any sense to anyone. Why don't you stop posting here? That would be nice, and everyone would be happier.
post #97 of 122
Quote:

Didn't read your post. You're spoiling for a fight and being a real pain in the arse and your racist shit doesn't make any sense to anyone. Why don't you stop posting here? That would be nice, and everyone would be happier.

I think the management has asked you that very question at least four times now.

post #98 of 122
Quote:

I think the management has asked you that very question at least four times now.

And how do you know that?
post #99 of 122
Quote:

And how do you know that?

It isn't hard to find the various Hassan* banned accounts.

post #100 of 122
Quote:

Sorry but your inability to comprehend isn't proof of my limitation but proof of your own.

Should we go back and find all those Jimmac, Democrats are in for a generation Republicans are a permanent minority party, Obama's wonderful plans and leadership are going to cement and seal the deal posts you have on here?

Talk about your desperation indeed. You have been proven about as wrong as a person can be proven Jimmac. I'm shocked you still are willing to assert anything given how wrong you've been.

Quote:
Democrats are in for a generation Republicans are a permanent minority party, Obama's wonderful plans and leadership are going to cement and seal the deal posts you have on here?

Who are you quoting here?

What I have said before is that Obama will likely get a second term. That didn't say anything about the other branches of government. If I'm in error please show me the quote.

Quote:
Talk about your desperation indeed. You have been proven about as wrong as a person can be proven Jimmac. I'm shocked you still are willing to assert anything given how wrong you've been

Given that I can be wrong I'm more often right. I said long before the last election that the next president would be Democrat. I also said the wind in politics would be changing No status quo. I've never said the Republicans would be a permanent minority. I have said things would be tending more to the left. Have I been wrong about any of these?

You're just touchy because several have handed your ass to you recently in a fair exchange. Sorry about that.
post #101 of 122
Quote:

Who are you quoting here?

What I have said before is that Obama will likely get a second term. That didn't say anything about the other branches of government. If I'm in error please show me the quote.

Please every one on here is well aware of your claims about various swings and how this was a Democratic swing and would remain so for a generation.

Quote:
Given that I can be wrong I'm more often right. I said long before the last election that the next president would be Democrat. I also said the wind in politics would be changing No status quo. I've never said the Republicans would be a permanent minority. I have said things would be tending more to the left. Have I been wrong about any of these?

You in no form limited the claims to President Obama alone. Everyone here read the claims and understood them.
Quote:
You're just touchy because several have handed your ass to you recently in a fair exchange. Sorry about that.

Given your memory and inability to process, this becomes a compliment.

post #102 of 122
Quote:

While Obama maintains his personal popularity, his policies face massive opposition. Current political polling now show a second term unlikely unless he changes his policies, since in polling one cannot separate the administration's policies from the administration. Thus, looking forward, unless the president changes his direction, his re-election and second term appears unlikely... Moreover, since a Republican majority in either the House or Senate or both would put the brakes on administration agenda, the president's re-election and second term appears unlikely...
post #103 of 122
Quote:

It isn't hard to find the various Hassan* banned accounts.

Well even though you weren't permanently banned you were banned at one time. What were they saying to you?
post #104 of 122
Quote:

Please every one on here is well aware of your claims about various swings and how this was a Democratic swing and would remain so for a generation.

You in no form limited the claims to President Obama alone. Everyone here read the claims and understood them.

Given your memory and inability to process, this becomes a compliment.

Quote:

So in other words you don't have anything solid to directly support your claims and are really remembering an amalgam of statements from here. Who's memory can't process? You're losing it trumpy.
post #105 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp David View Post

While Obama maintains his personal popularity, his policies face massive opposition. Current political polling now show a second term unlikely unless he changes his policies, since in polling one cannot separate the administration's policies from the administration. Thus, looking forward, unless the president changes his direction, his re-election and second term appears unlikely... Moreover, since a Republican majority in either the House or Senate or both would put the brakes on administration agenda, the president's re-election and second term appears unlikely...

I already know your wishful thinking but Campy that's 2 years away and a lot could happen. Especially if the Republicans try to put the brakes on the president's agenda and things don''t get better. Also the way they are going now they could easily be so splintered by then it won't matter.

Not that I wish that to happen but it's very possible.
post #106 of 122
So in other words...

Sandbox!

Cycles!

Republicans!

Same old stuff, jimmac.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #107 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

So in other words...

Sandbox!

Cycles!

Republicans!

Same old stuff, jimmac.

You forgot "Who was in charge when this all started?"

Like a broken record.

post #108 of 122
Quote:

So in other words...

Sandbox!

Cycles!

Republicans!

Same old stuff, jimmac.

So with these disjointed items make a sentence about me if you can!

Have any of these items been disproven?

But then again you haven't made a definite statement have you?
post #109 of 122
Quote:

You forgot "Who was in charge when this all started?"

Like a broken record.

Hey we're only 2 years into Obama's first term!

I went on about Bush for 8 years!

The fat lady isn't even close to singing yet.
post #110 of 122
Quote:

Hey we're only 2 years into Obama's first term!

Right. That's another one. Thanks for reminding me!

post #111 of 122
Quote:

Right. That's another one. Thanks for reminding me!

Why don't you remind us who the Commander and Chief was when this economic downturn happened?

Have any of those items been disproven?
post #112 of 122
Quote:

Why don't you remind us who the Commander and Chief was when this economic downturn happened?

What does the president's title in relation to the armed forces have to do with anything?

post #113 of 122
Quote:

What does the president's title in relation to the armed forces have to do with anything?

Why don't you answer the question? Afraid?

Oh! I forgot! You don't answer questions. You only ask them of others.

MJ : " Can't let it go! Must reply! "
post #114 of 122
Quote:

Why don't you answer the question? Afriad?

Do I need to? Do you not know? What differences does it make? Do you take me for a Bush-apologist as much as you are an Obamapologist? No son, I believe Bush and the Republican Congress made a great many mistakes. I believe that Obama and the Democratic Congress are making even more and sometimes worse (and sometimes the same mistakes only faster.)

post #115 of 122
Quote:

Do I need to? Do you not know? What differences does it make? Do you take me for a Bush-apologist as much as you are an Obamapologist? No son, I believe Bush and the Republican Congress made a great many mistakes. I believe that Obama and the Democratic Congress are making even more and sometimes worse (and sometimes the same mistakes only faster.)

Quote:
Do you take me for a Bush-apologist as much as you are an Obamapologist?

I take you for someone who dances on the head of a pin. Not very well anymore.
post #116 of 122
Same old stuff jimmac. Around and around we go. You must enjoy this immensely.

post #117 of 122
Wealth is not limited to the amount of "paper money" floating around (although as "the current crop of geniuses" haven't figured out that printing more of it, with nothing to back it up is a bad thing) or the size of the numbers in your bank account.

Wealth/income redistribution is a very bad idea and Robert Reich is just the latest in a parade of intellectuals to push this misguided message.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #118 of 122
Quote:

Same old stuff jimmac. Around and around we go. You must enjoy this immensely.

What I do enjoy is watching you looking not so effective with your not so relevent quips in a blind attempt to support your buddies here.
post #119 of 122
Quote:

What I do enjoy is watching you looking not so effective with your not so relevent quips in a blind attempt to support your buddies here.

Do you not find it even a little hypocritical (and ironic) that you are making quips about my quips?

post #120 of 122
Quote:

Do you not find it even a little hypocritical (and ironic) that you are making quips about my quips?

One deserves another in kind.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The top 20% should hold X% of the nation's wealth