or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"a whole slew"
these people just don't get it.

Hmm, how many different iPod model and color combinations can you come up with? I get a whole slew. Some posters just dont get it.
post #82 of 129
I'm a developer and am salivating at the prospect of having to write for 724 different form factors and OS's for Dell's upcoming devices.

Can you say CHA-CHING!
post #83 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.

Count those fingers 10, 9, 8, 7, 6 plus 5 is 11
Check out UZU

11 multi-touches does not mean it detects 11 touches on the screen at one time.
It means there are 11 different multi-touch gestures in iOS 4 it can distingush.
post #84 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

"a whole slew"
these people just don't get it.

Yeah... I don't know if the world is ready for that!


Maybe, they should start with a half slew... and build on that!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #85 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondinperth View Post

IPad supports up to 11 muti-touches, this rubbish dell tablet , NO doubt and NO need to even look at the spec and , No need to even think and ask , cant support more than 3 muti-touches

I've always wondered... where is that 11th touch supposed to come from?

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #86 of 129
I'm a recent Dell employee and I'm here to tell you that Dell launching an "iPad' challenger is 110% phony...

Dell may launch someone else's 7 or 10 or 15 in tablet but you can bet it ain't "Dell's". AND if the rumbling is true that along with these various sizes of tablet's they also plan to launch them all with different O/S to try and weasel into a market... HA! Good lick with that..

The still can't even support Windows X/P mush less Froyo.... Good money would stay as far away from these clowns as possible...
post #87 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Amazing the tone of this thread. I think you guys are really afraid of some competition.

You are pissing on the thing before it even comes out. Why don't you wait until you've had a chance to play with the thing before you...what's the hip word young people use today...dis it??

Make a 7 inch pad, put a camera on it and Adobe Flash so you can watch videos in the browser and you might have something there. Get developers to write great games for it and kids will love it.

Since Apple likes to release 1st editions of their products with features missing that should be common sense, I think there is a market for copy cat products if they offer features people want. And if they make it cheaper, all the better.

No fear here Blackie, don't know how you read fear out of the contents of this thread, except perhaps whatever you are bringing to it. Likewise - few "pissing" as you so colorfully put it, most questioning the market viability of it against other class contenders like the RIM Playbook, the HP Slate, and all the other Acer, Samsung, EKEN, HCL, SmartQ, Augen, Moonst, and Nationite Rocktab recently announced competitors.

So Adobe Flash for handhelds still pretty much sucks vapors performance-wise, good call there, and these hardware houses love to throw as many features as you can expense into the device, whether they work well or not. What ecosystem are they going to bring to these - Android? Even though Google has pretty much told everyone that ChromeOS is the OS for tablets not Android.

But hey, Pandora's box is open now so everyone will try to use Android for everything, which Google is going to come to regret hugely. They can't support the multiple versions out there now - let alone a swathe of tablets on top of the smartphones they already don't support well. And are people going to want to pay close to the same amount for a 7incher when they can get a better/bigger screen on the iPad for a pocketful of change more? Few of these are significantly cheaper, and if they are they are much lower powered/featured. You need to get out of your dimly lit rooms once in a while.
post #88 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post

Let the clone war begin!

In any case, this is good news as Dell is going to push the price down.
In terms of competition, the Blackberry Playbook poses the biggest challenge in terms of specs and UI IMHO. Also, it looks like the majority of the newcomers are opting for the 7" format which is lighter and requires only one hand. I like it.

I do hope Apple revamps the UI of the iPAD. They were one of the first to implement Cover Flow and now everyone is copying them. So it makes sense to see it on the IPAD. The grid layout is getting old.

Have you seen the PlayBook UI? I haven't & I've done a lot of searching! Link please.

Like you, I thought that CoverFlow would be a pretty good UI for iDevices -- especially the iPad.

I even went so far as to implement a hierarchical CoverFlow.

It makes a sweet UI, but it is GPU intensive and drains the battery. (CoverFlow is a private API, so what I use isn't as efficient as what Apple could provide).

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #89 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Can you name a couple of apps that support 11 multi-touches... 11 mutli-touches seems like a useless spec to me.

Software Audio Console. Runs on a PC with a 3M multitouch display. Supports 10 (granted, not 11) fingers adjusting fader levels at once. Quite useful if you're a live sound engineer. Too bad there isn't a (native) iPad control surface for it
post #90 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

to do this. They shutdown the Microsoft version of the slate - you don't see anyone else doing that, except by proxy by going with Android instead of waiting on Redmond to get their version available. The Android + ChromOS is a nasty one/two punch to Msoft's efforts in the handheld space. They NEED a serious winner with Win7 mobile to recover share from Android and fend off the tablet threat of ChromeOS. I see ChromeOS as the contender to beat - they built it against the netbook economies, which translates well to the tablet build, with a decent touch interface.

HP can leverage Palm WebOS for its devices, or select from the Android, ChromeOS or Windows bins as needed. Which will fragment their install base among those choices, but still sell devices. I see them trying to emulate Apple with WebOS though. So they may in fact introduce WebOS with the Palm infrastructure in place to have an ecosystem to drive, but still offer the other OSes as also-builds.

Well, according to this article,

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/29/hp...or-early-2011/

HP have not shutdown the Windows slate, they have no interest in Android, and they will be introducing a webOS tablet in early 2011, after the Windows slate is released.
post #91 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

It should be made compulsory for anyone writing about the iPad to re-read what they (or their websites) wrote about the earliest iPod. Remember, at that time, there were many music players. Most bloggers then thought the iPod would FAIL big time - over-priced, Mac-only, requires iTunes etc. I don't recall seeing any "mea culpas" or apologies ........
.

But the iPod did not succeed or become popular until they opened it to Windows users. Until then, it was one of many music players, because the Mac computer market was/is small compared to Windows users, and was not the smashing success it became.
post #92 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I will tell you why this will fail, and it is not what you think. All these devices use what is known as LPDRR memory, (low power DDR), each ipad ships with 4 dies in the A4 processor. and Iphone ships with 2 and the Itouch ships with 2 too. Apple today is the largest purchaser of LPDDR memory in the market, they also bought up 1/2 of the total supply of these parts for 2011 to supply all their mobile products. This does not leave much for everyone else to us buy and use.

Even is any of these products are slightly successful most likely they will not be able to get supply and therefore they will be shortage and people will walk across the street and buy and Ipad since Apple will have supply.

That's quite interesting, and fits Apple's MO.

Do you have any links?

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #93 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

An examples of too many choices/variants: Internal HD's for my iMac (any computer). Hours of freaking research at the end of which a choice is made yet you really don't know what you are getting nor if it will make a blind bit of difference had you made a different choice.

I like the Rolls Royce salesman who when asked how many horsepowers the engine had replied 'Plenty'. A little like Apple's Fast, Faster, Fastest descriptions.

Or... The Aboriginal Numbering System: Few and Many!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #94 of 129
supply seems to be a problem all round.

2 months after release, here in Canada, you couldn't even line up to get an iphone4, because, there simply aren't any. Only a handful every few days go to stores and waiting lists get them.

And that's in the biggest city here of 5 million.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #95 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I've always wondered... where is that 11th touch supposed to come from?

The same place the others come from. Your fingers.
There are 11 different multi touch gestures in iOS 4. It's not that it recognizes 11 different points being touched.
post #96 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I don't understand .... Why 7 inches

That's what I've been asking my wife for years ... why, why, why ...????
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
Apple, bigger than Google, ..... bigger than Microsoft,   The universe is unfolding as it should. Thanks, Apple.
Reply
post #97 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I like the Rolls Royce salesman who when asked how many horsepowers the engine had replied 'Plenty'. A little like Apple's Fast, Faster, Fastest descriptions.

Or the guy that asks for a small soft drink at a fast food restaurant. The server replies:

"We have Large, Giant and El Mondo Grosso -- If you want small, you'll take large and like it!"

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #98 of 129
if the price is good and good specs, I will not wait till january to get new ipad i will be interested in dell
post #99 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Not saying the Dell stuff will do well (it will be a flop). But in general, people like choices... Lots of choices...

Actually, studies have shown that "Lots of choices" may cause analysis paralysis in humans. In other words there is a diminishing return beyond a certain number of choices. Google the book Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely for more details about the study.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #100 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The same place the others come from. Your fingers.
There are 11 different multi touch gestures in iOS 4. It's not that it recognizes 11 different points being touched.

http://mashable.com/2010/04/27/ipad-11-fingers/
post #101 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

People might move back to a 1 PC home again, but this time with multiple satellite computing devices for general use.

There you go again...

I just upgraded my Daughter's iPad to iOS 4.2. Now she can WiFi print, Stream Audio, Stream Video (when the New AppeTV arrives)...

There are several VNC apps that allow you to manipulate your Mac or PC from the iPad...

I am waiting for the iPad-ready BackToMyMac: where the Mac's desktop is transformed when manipulated from an iPad-- something like a special MultiTouch Accessibility Option that cuts in when the Mac is being remotely manipulated by a touch device.

After all, the Mac desktop isn't a real desktop -- it's just a familiar flavor of a virtual desktop.

One of the Macs I want to manipulate is a headless (mouse-less, kb-less) mini that holds the MultiMedia library-- so, in effect, the iPad becomes the only UI accessory.

When we're, out and about, the attached camera acts as a security cam (with sound and motion detection) that pushes notifications to the iPhone and iPad.

...but, you've identified the real potential-- a single computer with distributed UI to multiple users.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #102 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Too many choices can often be problematic. However, it is also true that if you ask people if they'd rather have more or less choice, typically, they will respond in favor of more. It's kind of an interesting example of what people say they want not being what actually always works well for them.

Of course, it's not like we really have free will, anyway.

People want the option of more choice... and the convenience of no choice!

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #103 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Just to f*** with competitors' minds, Apple should sell iPads at cost for a year. What would that be, $47? They have enough cash on hand to subsidize the loss in income. Stock price might take a brief hit, but increased user base when everyone in the world buys an iPad would more than make up for it in the long run.

Spare me any lectures realists. I'm just having some speculative fun.

Actually, an opportunity something like that should present itself early next year, when the iPad rollout is complete and supply has caught up with demand.

The key is to avoid the Feds -- Justice in particular.

.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
Reply
post #104 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, according to this article,

http://venturebeat.com/2010/09/29/hp...or-early-2011/

HP have not shutdown the Windows slate, they have no interest in Android, and they will be introducing a webOS tablet in early 2011, after the Windows slate is released.

Odd that, especially since they don't attribute the Windows assertion to any HP officer or other source. The previous "not using Windows on the Slate" announcement was likewise unatrributed by TechCrunch to "someone informed" at least.

I wonder which is correct?
post #105 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

Odd that, especially since they don't attribute the Windows assertion to any HP officer or other source. The previous "not using Windows on the Slate" announcement was likewise unatrributed by TechCrunch to "someone informed" at least.

I wonder which is correct?

http://www.nytimes.com/external/giga...dup-18525.html

Quote:
... Rubinstein confirmed that a tablet using Windows 7, most likely the HP Slate, will appear this year in advance of a webOS tablet slated for early next year. A slate has recently appeared in photos thats believed to be the HP Slate, and likely the tablet that HP will release later this year.
post #106 of 129
Almost all the new tablets being announced these days have a 7" screen. IMHO this is not going to be very popular with consumers no matter what OS or features are added, because:

- it's too big for your pocket, so requires a carry bag or case of some kind, just like an iPad. if you want pocket size, you will still need to get a smartphone, or iPod touch.
- but it is a LOT smaller than the iPad screen - and for media, games and most things, size really matters.

regarding the second point, the big failure in all the reporting to date has been ignoring the simple geometry of the total screen areas.

with almost 10" diagonal, the 4:3 aspect iPad offers nearly 48 squre inches of screen area with about 8" x 6" actual dimensions.

a 7" diagonal screen sounds like it is about 2/3 the size of the iPad, but that is really stupid math in fact. since most of these tabs have an approximate 16:9 aspect ratio, like an HDTV, their actual screen dimensions are only about 6" x 3.5", a total of just 21 square inches in area. this is less than even 1/2 the iPad's screen area.

yes, for watching 16:9 video that size reduction is actually less - a 6" wide picture on a 7" tablet vs. an 8" wide picture on the iPad. so three-quareters of the iPad image, maybe not so big a deal. but for web pages and games and everything else, you have far less screen area to work with.

so consumers are being asked to pay 2/3 or 3/4 the price of an iPad for these 7" tablets, but will get less than 1/2 of the iPad's viewable/usable screen area for that price. that is a tough sell.

i have been wondering why, given these real negative marketability issues, we are seeing so many 7" tablets being announced. is it because Android cannot easily be scaled up any further? is it because Apple has corned all the 10" screen supplies? is it to keep the price down? is it to about battery life? or what?

except for diehard Android fans and gadget lovers, i don't know who is going to want such a 7" tablet for any reason. presumably a generation of larger models will be released next year, so they will wait. or buy an iPad.
post #107 of 129
A fundamental difference between Apple and, well, everyone else is, Apple has taken the time to actually do R&D on their products. Apple spent about 4 years on the original iPod before it was releasedand iTunes was already well-developed. I believe Apple spent 7 years developing the iPhone, and they spent even longer developing the iPad. They didn't simply slap a bunch of components together to try and "beat' someone else. They've had the patience to evolve their products. They've developed a robust ecosystem. That's the key to Apple's success.
The best way for other companies to actually compete against Apple is to not try to compete against them. They just need to motivate their people to create the best products they can, rather than some kinda knee-jerk reaction against Apple's long evolved strategy.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
Reply
post #108 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Actually, studies have shown that "Lots of choices" may cause analysis paralysis in humans. In other words there is a diminishing return beyond a certain number of choices. Google the book Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely for more details about the study.

hence the old joke telling someone in a round room from (insert region to make fun of here) to go pee in the corner.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #109 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

Almost all the new tablets being announced these days have a 7" screen. IMHO this is not going to be very popular with consumers no matter what OS or features are added, because:

- it's too big for your pocket, so requires a carry bag or case of some kind, just like an iPad. if you want pocket size, you will still need to get a smartphone, or iPod touch.
- but it is a LOT smaller than the iPad screen - and for media, games and most things, size really matters.

regarding the second point, the big failure in all the reporting to date has been ignoring the simple geometry of the total screen areas.

with almost 10" diagonal, the 4:3 aspect iPad offers nearly 48 squre inches of screen area with about 8" x 6" actual dimensions.

a 7" diagonal screen sounds like it is about 2/3 the size of the iPad, but that is really stupid math in fact. since most of these tabs have an approximate 16:9 aspect ratio, like an HDTV, their actual screen dimensions are only about 6" x 3.5", a total of just 21 square inches in area. this is less than even 1/2 the iPad's screen area.

yes, for watching 16:9 video that size reduction is actually less - a 6" wide picture on a 7" tablet vs. an 8" wide picture on the iPad. so three-quareters of the iPad image, maybe not so big a deal. but for web pages and games and everything else, you have far less screen area to work with.

so consumers are being asked to pay 2/3 or 3/4 the price of an iPad for these 7" tablets, but will get less than 1/2 of the iPad's viewable/usable screen area for that price. that is a tough sell.

i have been wondering why, given these real negative marketability issues, we are seeing so many 7" tablets being announced. is it because Android cannot easily be scaled up any further? is it because Apple has corned all the 10" screen supplies? is it to keep the price down? is it to about battery life? or what?

except for diehard Android fans and gadget lovers, i don't know who is going to want such a 7" tablet for any reason. presumably a generation of larger models will be released next year, so they will wait. or buy an iPad.

I tend to agree. The smaller the tablet, the more you trade off portability for battery life and useful screen real estate. I am however undecided about whether a 7" tablet is too small. It's certainly small enough that typing on a virtual keyboard in landscape mode becomes less than natural. You theoretically gain portability over a 9.7" iPad, but I didn't think the iPad was "not portable" -- in fact, I find it very portable, compared to the MacBook. Any smaller, and you might as well make it a smart phone.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #110 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

If that were true, I can't imagine a company like Dell putting so much capital into the project. So I guess that your statement is untrue, based on what huge industrial companies generally do.

Do you have better information? I would guess that many will be sold which are neither company policy nor intended as a gift.

Good point, It wold be foolish not to get into this field and be left behind in the tablet war, this does not mean the dell tablet will be sold in masses, you just have to look around in your community, town, nationally and internationally that apple products are in immense demand and there is certain amount of "mass hysteria". I have not seen another product other than a roar when blu-ray players were in short supply that command such presence.

btw: my main computer is a dell vostro and i am a dell man (soon to change to imac with office 2011), but i stand with the view that dell tablet will not be bought by the normal user masses. i await v2 iPad, but in no hurry yet.
post #111 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

The same place the others come from. Your fingers.
There are 11 different multi touch gestures in iOS 4. It's not that it recognizes 11 different points being touched.

IT IS! iOS 4 can recognize and track 11 simultaneous touches. One developer made the demo to see how many simultaneous touches can be recognized, and the result is 11.
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
Fun and relaxing way to prepare Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) test with Juku Apps
Reply
post #112 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

... I am however undecided about whether a 7" tablet is too small. It's certainly small enough that typing on a virtual keyboard in landscape mode becomes less than natural. ...

Yeah, especially on a 16:9 screen. These 7", 16:9 tablets will totally suck for typing, both in landscape and in portrait.
post #113 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

IT IS! iOS 4 can recognize and track 11 simultaneous touches. One developer made the demo to see how many simultaneous touches can be recognized, and the result is 11.

It's ready for the day man evolves an eleventh finger... Or perhaps masters the use of an extra appendage (ahem)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #114 of 129
The big appeal for this device is that it is not an Apple iPad. Everybody is trying to be first to market with something that is not an iPad to appeal to the anti Apple crowd.

Neal
post #115 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

The big appeal for this device is that it is not an Apple iPad. Everybody is trying to be first to market with something that is not an iPad to appeal to the anti Apple crowd.

Neal

yes, i think so. but also i think all these OEM's see the tablet train leaving the station and are desperately throwing out into the market the first product they can engineer, afraid that otherwise they will be left too far behind in the tablet "branding" battle. hence we are seeing a lot of 7" screens even tho they are not going to be big sellers. next year we will see more mature products from them all.

and there is the "announcement game" too. RIM had to announce its 2011 Playbook yesterday, not because of the iPad as all the stupid "pundits" are pontificating, but because it was afraid its essential base of Blackberry customers might otherwise go for one of these new Android tablets first. RIM knows it has to hold on to its base or die.

a lot of market tactics going on here.
post #116 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

The big appeal for this device is that it is not an Apple iPad. Everybody is trying to be first to market with something that is not an iPad to appeal to the anti Apple crowd.

Neal

I can't say I grasp the rationale behind an anti Apple stance. Most of the people that I know personally who hate Apple aren't speaking from experience because they've never owned an Apple product. They're convinced Apple is <insert-negative-affectation>. For example, one friend says he doesn't agree with the "closed nature" of the App Store, and I'll ask for how that specifically negatively affects him, and he can't say because he doesn't own any Apple products, but he's opposed to it in principle. He doesn't "want Steve Jobs to choose which Apps I can install". OK, I say, are you against having Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft approving games produced for their completely closed console platforms? Are you against Wal-Mart, Netflix or Blockbuster not selling porn? No, he doesn't oppose it when other companies restrict his choices, just when Apple does. Another friend of mine was dissing iPods as closed: he believed that iPods only worked with iTunes Music Store purchases and therefore could not playback unencrypted MP3 files. Jeez, if one is going to be anti-Apple, at least take the time to get the facts straight! Anyway, I don't think Apple has done anything to deserve the kind of hate they get, particularly those who just repeat the negative press they hear but aren't speaking from personal experience. That kind of rubs me the wrong way, because it isn't a fair judgment, IMO.

Let them own Dells, if That's what they want.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #117 of 129
The one thing not mentioned so far.

Android is not ready for tablets.

The 7" form factor is the largest that they can make a PHONE.

To enable Google services these Android tablets HAVE to have a cellphone radio, this drives up the cost.

There is no comparable model to the $499 iPad base model.

This is what will doom these to failure, meeting this price point while fulfilling Google's requirements that these things have to function as a phone, requiring additional phone network costs.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #118 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I can't say I grasp the rationale behind an anti Apple stance. Most of the people that I know personally who hate Apple aren't speaking from experience because they've never owned an Apple product

I think there are some who treat the platform wars like religious differences. Their ideas have to be right so everybody else, no matter what the evidence, is wrong. Pretty silly whether you are an Apple nut or a Msft nut. Ignoring the best tools for the job without good reason comes at a price.

If people have an Android device and have a good number of apps purchased, it may not make sense to try to go with an iPad if the android tablet does what you
want it to do. To not buy an iPad because Apple makes it, I would agree, doesn't make alot of sense.
post #119 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Poor guys, Dell and RIM are both going to fail miserably in the tablet market space, and all this will be a good thing, because it will continue to cannibalize microsofts efforts in the mobile sector, as no one will be striving to put Winmo on their devices.


why do so many folks on here seem to be pulling for these non apple companies to fail in their efforts? i'm an apple consumer as well. but even mighty apple needs competition. i don't pull for any single company, though i AM partial to apple. i pull for myself to be able to buy neat products at prices i like!
post #120 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealg View Post

I think there are some who treat the platform wars like religious differences. Their ideas have to be right so everybody else, no matter what the evidence, is wrong. Pretty silly whether you are an Apple nut or a Msft nut. Ignoring the best tools for the job without good reason comes at a price.

If people have an Android device and have a good number of apps purchased, it may not make sense to try to go with an iPad if the android tablet does what you
want it to do. To not buy an iPad because Apple makes it, I would agree, doesn't make alot of sense.

I suppose so. I personally don't benefit if they buy an iPad, but they made the decision to not like Apple for some ideological reason, then everything Apple does seems to be interpreted through the lens of their prejudice. Ironically, my friend who complained about the App Store being "closed" just got the Samsung Captivate, which (surprise!) doesn't allow sideloading of apps. And AT&T duplicates many of Google's apps with their own inferior versions. Saying he doesn't like Apple's control over Apps and then buying an Android phone that requires rooting to free it from AT&T's control...maybe they should call it the Samsung Ironic

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Dell to launch 7-inch tablet in 'next few weeks' to challenge iPad