or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content

First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content - Page 5

post #161 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The old Apple TV will support AirPlay, right?

Nope.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #162 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Nope.

Really? Then I guess I'll wait...
post #163 of 175
Mine was delivered today! I can't wait to get home and start playing with it.
post #164 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmccomp View Post

While waiting 20mins isn't the end of the world it's still a step down from the Gen-1 Apple TV. <snip>
.... get up from your couch, buy it on your computer, wait for it to download and then start watching it up to an hour later. It's just such an inconsistent user experience that it feels like the drive to lower the unit cost and size made them turn it into even more of a niche product than it was before.

Just wondering, can you currently buy a movie on the iPhone, and start watching a minute later? (And of course sync it back to iTunes later)

If so, can we do that and AirPlay a purchase immediately to the AppleTV?
post #165 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Just wondering, can you currently buy a movie on the iPhone, and start watching a minute later? (And of course sync it back to iTunes later)

If so, can we do that and AirPlay a purchase immediately to the AppleTV?

Just tested it and the iPhone has to completely download any content before you can start playing it. If the Airplay update doesn't change this then unfortunately it's only a desktop of Laptop that'll be able to start playing before the content is fully downloaded.
post #166 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

WDS will extend your network, but it halvs your bandwidth

If you can't run Ethernet cable easily, look at systems that run over the power line. Can be double to triple N speeds.

powerline sounds expensive. It is getting cheaper.

Frys.com sells their FR-300RTR (it's a rebranded dlink wireless N router) for $29. I decided it was time to create a separate network bridge just for video streaming...so for less than $75 I bought two of these and installed DD-WRT firmware and it's a happy place. I have the new Apple TV and Roku plugged into that bridged network. My two bridged Airport Extremes are now used exclusively for the multiple ipads, iphones and laptops. Yes, we notice a difference.

TOPIC:
Back on topic, I had the first ATV. We used it a lot. I just installed the new one, it's actually a relief for me. No more syncing. I hate syncing devices.

The UI is butter and paired with the iPad it's fantastic.

I wouldn't doubt if I save $99 in electricity per year going to the new version from the old! That old one was HOT!

I have hopes that AirPlay is the 1000lb gorilla no one sees coming. I hope it is 'Play' like it says it is, as in gaming, movies and iphone/ipad content. If I can play Angry Birds on the 52" well...that would be interesting to start...then add all the other games and applications.... Apple won.

We'll see what Google / Logitech / Sony bring in a couple of weeks.

And yes, Netflix is winning all of this. I signed up again 2 weeks ago after dumping them 2 years ago. I'm not alone.

Netflix on Roku vs. Netflix on ATV: ATV wins hands down. The stream and quality is somehow better and the interface is way better so far.

Also waiting on Hulu plus on Roku....and the jailbroken ATV version...
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
post #167 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

Netflix on Roku vs. Netflix on ATV: ATV wins hands down. The stream and quality is somehow better and the interface is way better so far.

Yes, so far I'm quite impressed with the ATV, compared to using my PS3. The interface feels better, and being able to pick up the Apple remote, any of my iOS devices, or even my normal TV remote that I can pair with the ATV is just much more convenient. The video quality actually seems better, somehow although I'm at a loss as to explain why that might be. Rented my first iTunes movie last night, and it was better than Netflix or my TV-provider's VOD service.
Providing grist for the rumour mill since 2001.
post #168 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

The video quality actually seems better, somehow although I'm at a loss as to explain why that might be.

Probably because Apple focuses on things that really matter to the user experience instead of checklist features and marketing fluff.

Higher bit rate 720p will blow away lower bitrate 1080p, for example.

There's lots of marketing fluff out there with people bandying about features without the context of the user experience.

Apple doesn't do that. Everything is architected to work together as a whole and provide a top notch user experience, and as you have observed it produces tangible results. In the end that's what really matters. "Real Artists Ship" - I'm sure that famous quote has multiple meanings. It's not just about getting the product out the door - it's about getting the experience out the door as well.

This deliberate and dogmatic strategy by Apple why the iPod succeeded although it missed pages and pages of features that other "more capable" players had, and why it succeeded when it was universally dismissed by the techies. It's the same with the iPhone and iPad (which was supposed to be a total failure with no USB ports, remember?). This is where Apple excels - separating out the hype and feature checklists and providing the best user experience that's available at that time. Time and time again they demonstrate the soundness of this methodology, and time and time again we hear how Apple will fail because they don't do X, Y and Z. You would think people would get tired of being shown just how wrong they are, over and over and over again....
post #169 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Yes, so far I'm quite impressed with the ATV, compared to using my PS3. The interface feels better, and being able to pick up the Apple remote, any of my iOS devices, or even my normal TV remote that I can pair with the ATV is just much more convenient. The video quality actually seems better, somehow although I'm at a loss as to explain why that might be. Rented my first iTunes movie last night, and it was better than Netflix or my TV-provider's VOD service.

how do you program a universal remote for atv??

sorry---i did it

typical apple easy....found in menu and it was a snap
now my rca 4 way is done

atv is true awesomeness, very easy, slick, my wife even paid attention as i set it up kids love it, my stuff on my computer streams like a dream
wow this is enjoyable
i can see why people drop cable or downgrade

one of the best $99 spent in home entertainment
when i showed my wife that see can control it with her iphone she was shocked
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #170 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

it was universally dismissed by the techies.

Not true, it was dismissed by a certain set of techies. Some of us "get it".

There is an elegance and wholeness to the kind of design work that Apple excels at. Very few people understand it consciously, and if technically inclined they fall back on left-brained logical analysis of feature lists. The non-technically inclined aren't hobbled by need to analyze why they like it and what it doesn't do... they just see what it is and how they respond to it. Then they buy it and all those waving around feature lists don't understand why and hate the creators as a result.
post #171 of 175
I signed up for the free Netflix trial last week specifically to use with the new Apple TV 2.0, and while I was at it I went ahead and had them send me the free disk needed for watching Netflix movies instantly from the Wii.

I finally got around to activating our Wii with my Netflix account yesterday, and all I can say is I'm glad I tried this with the new Apple TV first, because the user interface for Netflix from the Wii is so awful I might've canceled my Netflix account on the spot if I hadn't seen the Apple TV version first.

post #172 of 175
My receiver has 2 HDMI in's and 1 out. It also has 2 Optical audio in's as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Doesn't your new Denon Receiver have HDMI inputs on it? The majority of devices with HDMI ports on them should transfer audio over them as well, nothing to do with new one jacks. I connect my old ATV, PS3 and DVD player to my received with only HDMI cables.
post #173 of 175
A $199 remote accessory (i.e. iPod Touch) would not be a logical solution to the ATV. Think about it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I don't think Apple would be worried if they restricted their potential customers to everyone with an iPhone/Touch/iPad - and it would make for a very interesting remote (touch screen, accelerometer, gyroscope, interaction with apps). In fact, they could have marketed the aTV as a peripheral for the iPhone pretty safely. And sold a bundled aTV+iPodTouch.

Already they've opened their gates to some app possibilities - app makers have relative freedom to write an app which is entirely run from the iPhone and passes its video to the aTV. We may be surprised by the number of developers who create apps for the iPhone to control video on the aTV. That paves the way for future hybrid apps that are launched from the iPhone but also run partially on the aTV.
post #174 of 175
Got it up and running over the weekend. Setup was easy... getting computer to share took a few itunes resets but got it working including the photo share.
Nice that it permantely loads screen saver photos from your computer.

Rented some movies. Loaded and ran smoothly with my airport express. they appeared overly contrasted to me; would like to see side by side reviews of- Blue ray, dvd and ATV video. Viewed some podcasts.

For $99, I guess you can't ask for more. Or can I....

HDMI in to quickly by pass (or overlay ???) signal into TV. I know easier said then done. As it stands now, have to juggle three remotes etc.

This thing is SCREAMING for a network drive or attached harddrive, blue ray/dvd etc. (Steve, what do we do with our old DVD collections?, sorry, not gonna pay you)

If I buy digitial video from other sources(eg AMAZON) need to be able to play on the device(its called fair use)... may need Govt intervention here to set the rules.

Menu structures are pretty basic. Would like some more genre's etc, its hard to find stuff.

TV shows are WAY TOO expensive... thats out for me.

Iphone remote for me, was very laggy and did not work smoothly

looking forward to airplay.... but... see above
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #175 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

...As it stands now, have to juggle three remotes etc...

I've never understood how people tolerate this. I have a $20 remote programmed with discrete codes to jump directly to the input I want, no toggling. One button press send the tv and stereo to the right input and leaves the remote on the device selected (cable box, atv, etc)

I couldn't put up with anything short of what I have - and I'm in no way a home theater geek.

As for the remote being slow - I hope that's not something with the new Apple TV, haven't heard anyone else say that. My remote app is near-instant on my second-gen atv.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content