or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content

First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content - Page 3

post #81 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Actually, the easiest solution is to get one of the new dual band AirPort extremes. Run one band as 5 GHz N only, and run the other one as 2.4 GHz Mixed Mode (N, G & B). Go ahead and give them two separate names so you can specifically assign devices to whichever band you want. If you have two N devices that are going to talk to one another frequently, I've found that it is better to attach one of them to the 5GHz N and the other to the 2.4 GHz Mixed, otherwise during any given transfer the two devices are competing for wireless bandwidth with one another. By putting one of the N's on the mixed mode (and potentially slightly handicapped) band the contention is removed, and the result is better throughput... even if there are some G devices attached (but not currently doing anything).

Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I really dont get why people want local storage. I had a WDTV with USB and to add something new you had to unplug the drive, plug it into a Pc then wait for the file to copy, then plug it back into the WDTV. Why would you want to do this when you can just stream from the network...

imo local storage is bad files management, files should be on a netdrive with an external USB drive backup that is store OUT of the house (work, family, friends,...). I have two 1TB USB drives with one at work and one at home and I do backup rotations with them.

Because streaming is not perfect. Files stored on the ATV do not require the network to perform at any certain level. If everything was wired, then streaming wouldn't be a bad thing. Wireless is just too finicky, even with 802.11n.

I only have to hit the "Sync" button in iTunes all that's it. I don't see how this is difficult at all.
post #82 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

8GB of storage FTW. That will hold a few apps.

Indeed, it should easily hold an HD (720p) movie, no?
post #83 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post

This logic just doesn't seem to make sense to me. Two wireless devices talking to each other on the 5GHz N Network should not be creating that much "competition for bandwidth" with each other at the same time, but hey it seems to be working for you and I'll try anything given the problems I'm having.

Like I said, I did a hell of a lot of experimenting with file transfer rates prior to settling on this arrangement. Ultimately, I realized that if two devices, call them A and B, were using the same band to send files to one another, then there is going to be competition. You see, the bytes don't go directly from A to B. They go from A to the AE over WiFi, get routed internally from one virtual "endpoint" to another inside the AE, and then get sent from the AE to B over the same WiFi band. Hence, you have devices A and B both communicating with the AE at the same time on the same band. A is sending new bytes while B is receiving the previous ones. Hence the competition.

Now, suppose A sends bytes to the AE on one band, then the bytes get routed internally from one endpoint to another in the AE, and then they get sent from the AE to B on a completely different band. Things go much more smoothly. Try it.

Thompson
post #84 of 175
Doh! Still not at my local Apple store yet! I want one NOW!

(I just signed up for Netflix this morning.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Yeah, Apple stickers!!

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #85 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, even for "local storage" it's much better to have a central repository and stream to TVs around the house.

yes, definitely. so i will have my old no longer used PPC Mac Mini with a 2T external drive plugged in to it on my LAN (via ethernet - its (g) wifi is too slow) holding my iTunes master Library with Home Sharing on. will use Screen Sharing from my regular desktop to control it when needed (not often), so no monitor needed. yes, have to leave it on with iTunes running, but it's single purpose doing nothing else so not a practical issue (except for electric bill). will use my old no longer used 2G iPhone as its remote control with Remote app. once i plug a new ATV via ethernet into the LAN it all should work great! just point it to that LIbrary.

Recycle!
post #86 of 175
Mine is in transit from HK. This won't be a hobby for Apple much longer!
post #87 of 175
Quote:

My "Main" computer, an iMac i5 is hard wired, via gigabit ethernet, to a newer Time Capsule that also has a 5GHz and a 2.4GHz wireless networks set up. I use the 2.4 in mixed mode for two PS3s (almost never running), a Wie, (almost never running) and our iPhones (2 iPhone 4s and 1 iPhone 3GS). I use the 5GHz strickly in N mode for a MacBook Pro, a new Mac Mini, and and old ATV. I have given up on watching things like Apple Movie trailers in HD on the ATV because they stream so slow that they start and stop several times during just a 2-3 minute trailer to "buffer" more data. Oh yeah, and the internet connection comming into the house is a 25MBPS FiOS, which is blazing fast on the main computer. A couple of other surrounding wireless networks in the area occasionally show up so I have tried things like using different channels for the network, etc.

I am interested in the new ATV but I would miss being able to sync since streaming has not worked well for me even with the latest gear.

I would definitely suggest moving your AppleTV over to the 2.4 mixed mode band. With the modest devices you have over there, it seems like it would get scarce competition, and the harm done by utilizing the supposedly "less efficient" mixed-mode would be more than made up for by the reduced competition of the two furiously active devices on the 5 GHz band. (I am assuming that you won't simultaneously be trying to do bandwidth hungry activities on the other two computers you described. That would harm you regardless of what band they are on. But if you ever move big files from that iMac to either of these, then they should be put on the other band too.)

Thompson
post #88 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post

I still don't get why they did;nt use the iOS and make a killing on more apps sold and distributed. Get everyone hooked just like the iphone....Then just have an iTV app on the front.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I expect there will be apps for it once Apple is satisfied they have the right strategy for user input. Recall that Apple can be very fixed on the idea of don't do anything until they are certain it is right: copy and paste, 3rd party app multitasking, an app store for the iPhone.

Apple is probably in the process of bypassing the cable TV industry and the DVD-bluray system so their steps need to be taken quite carefully.
post #89 of 175
Quote:

I would definitely suggest moving your AppleTV over to the 2.4 mixed mode band. With the modest devices you have over there, it seems like it would get scarce competition, and the harm done by utilizing the supposedly "less efficient" mixed-mode would be more than made up for by the reduced competition of the two furiously active devices on the 5 GHz band. (I am assuming that you won't simultaneously be trying to do bandwidth hungry activities on the other two computers you described. That would harm you regardless of what band they are on. But if you ever move big files from that iMac to either of these, then they should be put on the other band too.)

Thompson

Actually the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini are rarely connected to my wireless networks as well. I use the laptop on the road, and the mini actually replace one of my old ATVs ( I had two; one at family room TV and one at my basement TV, but the family room ATV died). I rarely use the mini because I so much liked the ATV interfsct much more (I even tried Boxee and Plex on it, but not very happy). I was thinking of getting two new ATVs and plugging one directly into the Mini at the family room and leaving it on so it could stream directly to the ATV via ethernet cable... thus leaving my basement as the only dilemma.
post #90 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It would, although streaming wouldn't require that.

The probably have a deal on the 8 GB chips and it gives space for their future app store, as well as much more than enough of a buffer for streaming video.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #91 of 175
Quote:

Like I said, I did a hell of a lot of experimenting with file transfer rates prior to settling on this arrangement. Ultimately, I realized that if two devices, call them A and B, were using the same band to send files to one another, then there is going to be competition. You see, the bytes don't go directly from A to B. They go from A to the AE over WiFi, get routed internally from one virtual "endpoint" to another inside the AE, and then get sent from the AE to B over the same WiFi band. Hence, you have devices A and B both communicating with the AE at the same time on the same band. A is sending new bytes while B is receiving the previous ones. Hence the competition.

Now, suppose A sends bytes to the AE on one band, then the bytes get routed internally from one endpoint to another in the AE, and then they get sent from the AE to B on a completely different band. Things go much more smoothly. Try it.

Thompson

That does make sense, but in my case I think its moot since the main device being communicated to is hard wired to the router.
post #92 of 175
Quote:

Actually the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini are rarely connected to my wireless networks as well. I use the laptop on the road, and the mini actually replace one of my old ATVs ( I had two; one at family room TV and one at my basement TV, but the family room ATV died). I rarely use the mini because I so much liked the ATV interfsct much more (I even tried Boxee and Plex on it, but not very happy).

That's exactly how I use my MacMini! It's attached to my big screen TV. I don't have an ATV yet (fixing to remedy that with this new one) so I have the MacMini using the mixed mode band to stream stuff from the main computer. When I get the new ATV, I'll use it on the same band as the MacMini (but preferably not simultaneously). The main computer will remain isolated on the 5 GHz channel, with nothing to get in its way.

Thompson
post #93 of 175
Quote:

That does make sense, but in my case I think its moot since the main device being communicated to is hard wired to the router.

OOOOOOOOOOOH. I missed that fact earlier. Never mind then. :-)

Given your description now, i.e. that you had an AppleTV talking to the AE (with very little contention) which was connected to (very!) high speed internet, I'm having trouble understanding why streaming the theatrical trailers was giving you so much trouble. This does remind me of an interesting topic. When I initially bought my dual-band AE and set it up, I performed all of these configuration tests and was getting no joy. Ultimately, after days of banging my head against the wall, I took the AE back to the Apple Store and got a replacement (even though they failed to identify a specific problem). Things were better instantly. But I still examined the configurations in order to maximize my use case. :-)

Perhaps either your AE or your ATV are defective somehow?

Thompson
post #94 of 175
Quote:

Got no problem leaving my iMac on, but do I also have to have iTunes open and running with Home share on the whole times as well to acommodate streaming to the new ATV?

Yes, Itunes need to be on since its AppleTV official source.
post #95 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Because streaming is not perfect. Files stored on the ATV do not require the network to perform at any certain level. If everything was wired, then streaming wouldn't be a bad thing. Wireless is just too finicky, even with 802.11n.

I only have to hit the "Sync" button in iTunes all that's it. I don't see how this is difficult at all.

This is why my AppleTv is Wired. Instead of putting the router near a PC I put it with the TV since the broadband is coming from cable and the coxial cable is already there. So my AppleTV is just by the router so its wired.

but imo the AppleTV should just buff the stream so network hiccup wont translate into video lag. I think the old AppleTV only buff itunes rentals but it doesnt buff itunes streaming from a PC. Now lets hope they fix that with the new model.
post #96 of 175
Only photos from MobileMe or Flickr?? That sucks!
post #97 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldpizza View Post

Only photos from MobileMe or Flickr?? That sucks!

Or your computer. Where do you want to display photos from?
post #98 of 175
Quote:

It seems like I could get a number of AppleTV's to place at every TV in the house. I can just store my DVD's in the garage and not have to futz with them anymore. I'm looking forward to an all-digital future.

CD's, DVD's, Blu-ray's etc are all digital, or did you mean something else?
post #99 of 175
Quote:

Or your computer. Where do you want to display photos from?

Only the old Apple TV does it from your computer. Not this new one.
post #100 of 175
Quote:

Go to http://www.apple.com/appletv/. Scroll down to "All Streaming. No Hassle." Read.
post #101 of 175
Quote:

If you buy movies with the previous Apple TV, they get transfered back to your host computer, right? Why don't you just go to that computer and buy them through iTunes directly? Then you can stream them to the new AppleTV.

The only problem I see with this is you have to get off the couch to make an impulse buy. The solution is simple: either don't make impulse buys of movies, or get off the couch. :-)

Thompson

The previous Apple TV did sync purchases back to the iTunes library that it syncs with. The problem is that when you purchase movies via iTunes, you have to wait for them to complete downloading before you can stream them anywhere. That sucks.

Last Friday we came from home work, picked up the kids, and decided we wanted to have a movie night. With our current Apple TV, we bought and we watched. With the new Apple TV if we want to buy (as is often the case for kids movies that get viewed again and again), we need to screen share into our Mac Mini library, buy the movie in iTunes, wait for it to download, and sync across the media list before Apple TV can play it. That's far from ideal, and my wife and kids won't even attempt it. It's just way too messy. Very uncharacteristic of Apple.
post #102 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

The previous Apple TV did sync purchases back to the iTunes library that it syncs with. The problem is that when you purchase movies via iTunes, you have to wait for them to complete downloading before you can stream them anywhere. That sucks.

Last Friday we came from home work, picked up the kids, and decided we wanted to have a movie night. With our current Apple TV, we bought and we watched. With the new Apple TV if we want to buy (as is often the case for kids movies that get viewed again and again), we need to screen share into our Mac Mini library, buy the movie in iTunes, wait for it to download, and sync across the media list before Apple TV can play it. That's far from ideal, and my wife and kids won't even attempt it. It's just way too messy. Very uncharacteristic of Apple.

This would be a serious constraint, if true. Perhaps iTunes 10.1 will address this?
post #103 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yes, definitely. so i will have my old no longer used PPC Mac Mini with a 2T external drive plugged in to it on my LAN (via ethernet - its (g) wifi is too slow) holding my iTunes master Library with Home Sharing on. will use Screen Sharing from my regular desktop to control it when needed (not often), so no monitor needed. yes, have to leave it on with iTunes running, but it's single purpose doing nothing else so not a practical issue (except for electric bill). will use my old no longer used 2G iPhone as its remote control with Remote app. once i plug a new ATV via ethernet into the LAN it all should work great! just point it to that LIbrary.

Recycle!

Used to have my PPC mini connected directly to my TV for better options that the old AppleTV had. Then it died so I replaced it with an Intel mini which adds digital audio out to my stereo. I'm debating whether the new AppleTV would be worth getting since I'd lose functionality of the mini.

One thing you want to consider in your scenario of using your PPC mini... Does AppleTV require vs 10 of iTunes, and does iTunes v10 support PPC Macs (I can't check from my current location to verify).
post #104 of 175
Quote:

In iTunes you can start watching a purchased movie before it's finished downloading, can't you? Hopefully Apple made the new AppleTV-iTunes combo smart enough to also allow iTunes to start streaming a purchase to AppleTV to watch while it's still downloading.
post #105 of 175
Quote:

Where did you get that idea from?

anantksundaram already provided the link, but here's the quote:

Quote:
Everything you want to watch movies, TV shows, photos, and more streams wirelessly to Apple TV. That way you dont have to worry about managing storage or syncing to your iTunes library. HD movie and TV show rentals play over the Internet to your widescreen TV, while music and photos stream from your computer. Either way, all you have to do is click and play. Since Apple TV features a powerful A4 chip, it streams everything effortlessly, without frozen screens or stutters. Video looks crisp and clear. And just like watching a DVD, you can fast-forward through opening credits, pause for a popcorn break, or replay a hilarious scene until you memorize every line.
post #106 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

This is why my AppleTv is Wired. Instead of putting the router near a PC I put it with the TV since the broadband is coming from cable and the coxial cable is already there. So my AppleTV is just by the router so its wired.

but imo the AppleTV should just buff the stream so network hiccup wont translate into video lag. I think the old AppleTV only buff itunes rentals but it doesnt buff itunes streaming from a PC. Now lets hope they fix that with the new model.

I can't wire mine. Router and computers, etc are upstairs. PS3/Wii/Xbox360/ATV are all downstairs... I had it wired, but the computer was wireless... can't have a fully wired network.

I just need to make the fastest wireless network I can.
post #107 of 175
Quote:

Where did you get that idea from?

Just going of the screenshots of the menus. I don't see it anywhere.
post #108 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

For those ordering an AppleTv, don't forget to order a HDMI cable as well.

Don't order from Apple! You'll get robbed. You can get them for around $5 on the net. Buy.com has great prices..
post #109 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I'll stick with my original AppleTV so I'm not required to stream everything. I also like buying movies occasionally which you can't do on the new device. Netflix streaming is pervasive and I've got it on three other devices. Certainly for current AppleTV owners, there is little to no reason to buy the new one.

Anywhere except the US, and there is even less reason to buy a new device. No Netflix, no TV show rental. It also loses the ability to buy a TV show, and the photo background my parents love has to go via MobileMe (and my parents have 5GB/month quota, so may be an issue if they have 1000 background photos).

Of course it's faster. And AirPlay is interesting (though they already stream their music from Mac to AppleTV).

That said, I might buy one. The old aTV was too expensive, and the new one will expand in interesting ways. I might be forced to jailbreak, though I never did this with our iPhones.

Quote:

If you buy movies with the previous Apple TV, they get transfered back to your host computer, right? Why don't you just go to that computer and buy them through iTunes directly? Then you can stream them to the new AppleTV.

Most times I've bought a TV show I've been ready to watch straight away. A 40 minute wait isn't long but it still affects how it feels.

The thing with a truly easy-to-use solution is going the extra mile to truly fit with what a user wants. Most companies say something is easy enough and ignore it, but going the extra mile makes a difference (of course Apple has it's own strange lock-outs of certain easy solutions).

I think it'd be good if the aTV allowed you to buy a TV show ONLY IF it has a connected iTunes machine - and either immediately downloaded to iTunes and stream to the aTV or vice versa.
post #110 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The easiest solution is to buy an old Airport device to run the g devices and attach it to your main router running the n devices. Everything still talks to each other, you just have two separate networks for each type.

Or just get a new dual band airport extereme. It keeps the clutter and power consumption down, and the G side of things is much better than my old G only Airport devices.

You can get a good deal on refurbs in Apple's online store if you just keep an eye out for 'em.
post #111 of 175
I have just connected my new Apple TV and tried to see which shows are available on it. Even though Fox has signed up for the $.99/episode pricing, I cannot find "House" on the new Apple TV. Am I doing something wrong?
post #112 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

2hours at 5Mbps is 4.4GB. So mostly fine!

But are there any 4hour HD movie rentals to test? LotR?

Quote:

It would, although streaming wouldn't require that.

The demos of movie rental looked exactly like now - ie: download and play while downloading. TV rentals looked the same too. In fact PC World (?) said it didn't downgrade the quality if your connection was slower but waited to get enough of the show before starting.

So I'm not convinced it uses streaming at all.
post #113 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Or just get a new dual band airport extereme. It keeps the clutter and power consumption down, and the G side of things is much better than my old G only Airport devices.

You can get a good deal on refurbs in Apple's online store if you just keep an eye out for 'em.

The dual band solution involves N on 5Ghz, and G on 2.4Ghz.

Does the AppleTV do 5Ghz N? (the specs page doesn't say anything).

edit: the iPad DOES do 5Ghz, so maybe I jumped the gun.
post #114 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I ordered an Apple TV yesterday. I was wondering if it is worthwhile considering hard wiring ethernet to my TV location or should WiFi n be satisfactory?

Hard wiring is always better. Wireless is convenient, but there are lots of things outside of your control that can interfere with it - from clueless neighbors picking the same band you are on to microwaves or cordless phones. Wired has none of those issues. Now if you are forgetful and run your Ethernet cable in parallel with power cable for some distance, that's another issue - but I'm sure you wouldn't make that mistake, right?

I've slowly been wiring my house and eliminating wireless from all but my laptops, iPhones and iPads - and the speed difference on transfers to the Tivo's, syncing to my ATV, accessing files on my windows home server, etc are noticeably faster. And with fewer devices hogging the wifi, the devices that really need to be wireless are also noticeably faster.

I still have a few runs from my basement to the attic to finish. I had conduit installed when the house was built - I have just been waiting for the weather to break so I don't sweat to death in the attic. I'm also going to take up some cans of foam and foam all the entry points for wiring in the walls to help tighten the house up, something I forgot to do before the Sheetrock went up I've got the tyvek bunny suite and a nice respirator from one of the big box home improvement stores - essential for not itching for a week from the dust and insulation. Good times
post #115 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Most times I've bought a TV show I've been ready to watch straight away. A 40 minute wait isn't long but it still affects how it feels.

Why buy a TV show when you can rent it for half price... er... never mind. You can only do that for a few networks right now. But in the long run, stream shows that you only watch once at 99 cents each and purchase movies from iTunes in advance for <whatever they end up at>.

Quote:

I think it'd be good if the aTV allowed you to buy a TV show ONLY IF it has a connected iTunes machine - and either immediately downloaded to iTunes and stream to the aTV or vice versa.

I like that.

Thompson
post #116 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Don't order from Apple! You'll get robbed. You can get them for around $5 on the net. Buy.com has great prices..

Or monoprice.com.

Quote:

The dual band solution involves N on 5Ghz, and G on 2.4Ghz.

Does the AppleTV do 5Ghz N? (the specs page doesn't say anything).

edit: the iPad DOES do 5Ghz, so maybe I jumped the gun.

Yes.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

System requirements
  • Wi-Fi (802.11 a, b, g, or n) wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11a, g or n) or 10/100BASE-T Ethernet network

post #117 of 175
Quote:

This is why I'm going to keep my MacMini attached to my big screen even when I get the new AppleTV attached to it too. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

Yes, it would be nice if Apple would combine the two into one easy thing.

But you realize that Apple is dealing with very specific use constraints imposed by the content owners, right? I'd be willing to bet that in order to get just the two networks they did, they had to handicap the device in specific ways.

Think about it folks, the last thing that all networks want is for us to *poof* into the future with the capabilities that everyone wants and that technology already supports.

We're going to have to deal with inconveniences for multiple years until the politics of entertainment shakes out. That's the reality. It is not a case of Apple (or anyone else, for that matter) just unilaterally deciding to give us what we are all hankering for.

Thompson
post #118 of 175
What? No photo of the Fedex delivery person?

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

TechnoMinds

We are a Montreal based technology company that offers a variety of tech services such as tech support for Apple products, Drupal based website development, computer training and iCloud...

post #119 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Or monoprice.com.

You just saved me a lot of money. Thank you!
post #120 of 175
Quote:

My hunch is that if you need remote time machine, you're probably best off getting the "Time Capsule" device instead of cobbling together the capability. Good luck.

I wouldn't. I've had two hard drives die in my TC. Sure, they were replaced under warranty, but it's still a hassle. And now I can't maintain a connection long enough so I've pretty much given up on the time capsule and just use it as a dual band AE the majority of people speculate they just run to hot and I would agree. I have mine out in the open on top of a cabinet with nothing near it and it's still almost too hot to touch

I picked up an HP Media Smart 490EX Windows Home Server on special from NewEgg for $360. Not only is Time Machine flawless with it(edit:and I forgot to add, twice as fast!), but it also collected up all my media from my various machines and serves it up (including iTunes protected AAC content) to my computers, Tivos, iPhone, iPad. I even got the remote streaming via the free iPhone app HP has to work (seems to be problematic for some people - probably windows users ) Back to Time Machine, HP also includes a bare metal restore for the Mac in addition to the bare metal restore WHS provides for Windows boxes. You can run a utility included with the HP Mac WHS client to create a flash boot/restore drive. I have a new hard drive for my MBP, and instead of cloning I'm going to test out the bare metal restore to see how well it works.

For the money I am very pleased - you can expand it very easily with up to four internal SATA drives, 5 eSATA Drives via a case with a port multiplier and who knows how many USB drives. In some of the WHS forums people have 14 terabytes or more for their ripped DVD libraries and other media. It even downloads shows from my Tivos with a free add in from HP - its more reliable than popcorn for the Mac I haven't got the automatic transcoding to work since the transcoder HP bundles doesn't do Tivo files, but I found a blog post were someone installed and set up the plus version of the Windows Tivo desktop on the Home Server itself to convert the Tivo files for use on the ATV/iPad/iPhone. I think I am going to do that this weekend - then shows from my Tivo will automatically be downloaded, converted, and put in my main share iTunes library on the HP WHS. This model works PERFECTLY with the new Apple TV. If it only would delete the converted shows off the Tivo it would be totally automated and there is another add-in that makes the WHS look like another Tivo to my other Tivos so if I leave the Tivo files on I can stream to the Tivos from the WHS. lots of choices...

Apple really needs something like Windows Home Server - and no, the time capsule isnt it - not by a long shot.

Anyway, my Apple TV arrives Tuesday - can't wait!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › First look: Unboxing Apple's new $99 Apple TV with streaming HD content