or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Nintendo delays 3D portable gaming device, lowers forecast

Nintendo delays 3D portable gaming device, lowers forecast

post #1 of 54
In a setback for Nintendo and a windfall for Apple, Nintendo cut its profit forecast by more than half and announced that the release of its 3D gaming hand-held has been pushed back until next year.

The announcement, which was made at a Nintendo product event Wednesday and reported by The Wall Street Journal, is further evidence that Apple is cannibalizing substantial portions of Nintendo's profits.

At the event, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said that the Kyoto, Japan-based company had hoped to release its 3DS hand-held by year-end, but realized it wouldn't be able to supply enough units this year, the report noted. The 3DS, which features glasses-free 3D gaming, will launch on Feb. 26 in Japan and arrive in the U.S. and Europe the following month. The device will retail for 25,000 yen ($299), compared to Apple Japan's 20,900 yen ($250) price tag for the 8gb iPod touch.

The 3DS was announced in March as part of an effort by Nintendo to differentiate itself from Apple and its iOS offerings. Last year, Iwata predicted a "dark" future for Nintendo if it remained unable to do so.

A 3D Nintendo hand-held might not differentiate itself for long. Patent filings reveal that Apple has also been looking into 3D display options for several years now.

Earlier this year, Iwata reportedly told other Nintendo executives that Apple is now the "enemy of the future."

Last year, Nintendo's profits fell sharply, in part due to competition from iOS. According to the Journal, Nintendo had posted five impressive years of growth until earnings slipped last year.

This year's results still appear bleak, as sales of the Wii and DS have dropped off. Nintendo's profit warning Wednesday lowered the company's profit forecast for the fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2011, from 200 billion yen ($2.39 billion) to 90 billion yen ($1.07 billion), the report. Nintendo stock fell in response to the news.

With Nintendo backing out of the competition for this holiday season's "must-have" gadget, Apple is well-positioned to continue making gains in the mobile gaming market.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs boasted in September that the iPod touch is "the number one game player in the world," a title that has traditionally been claimed by Nintendo and its offerings. "The iPod touch outsells Nintendo and Sony portable game players combined," said Jobs. Although the figures have been called into question, it's clear that Apple's foray into the gaming market has been remarkably successful.

A recent survey described Apple as having entered the "major league" of the portable gaming market, with over 40 million iOS gamers in the U.S. In comparison, Nintendo DS and DSi gamers total 41 million and Sony has just 19 million PSP gamers.
post #2 of 54
According to Steve Jobs Nintendo is in direct competition with Apple in the hand held gaming arena, in fact they have surpassed them in market share, I wonder what the folks at Nintendo have to say about that?

Opps, I should have read the article before posting, lol
post #3 of 54
Nintendo wasn't "delaying" the device, it never had any sort of announced date. You can't delay what was never dated.
post #4 of 54
Apple has set the bar pretty high with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad.
Nintendo had better up their game (pun intended) in the industrial design department.
If you see plastic, they blew it.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #5 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

According to Steve Jobs Nintendo is in direct competition with Apple in the hand held gaming arena, in fact they have surpassed them in market share, I wonder what the folks at Nintendo have to say about that?

There's a difference between currently selling more and market share. And apple did not claim to surpass Nintendo in market share.
post #6 of 54
i think it might be an interesting test for Nintendo to port one game, an older title, to the ipad. Just to see if it makes them any money. After all they still have the newer, hotter, fancier games to push their better hardware.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #7 of 54
Nintendo is a software company at least as much as a hardware company. If their hardware didn't make it, they could just develop for the iPod Touch.
post #8 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a setback for Nintendo and a windfall for Apple,

This article should make the posters here very happy.
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

Nintendo wasn't "delaying" the device, it never had any sort of announced date. You can't delay what was never dated.

QFT.
AppleInsider is trying to spin this in Apple's favor. 3DS got its release date with this announcement. Beforehand, there was no release date announced. Nintendo is FAR from being in a bad spot. They are market leaders and raking in money hand over fist.

People may like the story of Apple and Nintendo as rivals in handheld gaming, but in reality they are very different and will get only more so with the 3DS. What handheld Apple product offers 3D games with analog control as well as 3D video?

Neither is better than the other. They serve different segments of the market.

Also, make no mistake Nintendo is a hardware company first and foremost. Their advances in hardware are what help differentiate their games from others. D-pad, analog control, mode 7 graphics, triggers, shoulder buttons, rumble, dual screens, motion control and 3D to name a few.
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Nintendo is a software company at least as much as a hardware company. If their hardware didn't make it, they could just develop for the iPod Touch.

No

Nintendo is like apple

They know how to create software and to keep the control but like Apple their business is to sell hardware.

It's not Mario video game who makes the money but the wii and ds. But mario allows to sell many devices.
post #11 of 54
What? Nintendo are not going anywhere, or need to "test" their software on an Apple platform. The fanboy nonsense spinned here sometimes is dumbfounding.

Nintendo are an absolute giant, in a field only held by few (Apple, Sony and MS).
post #12 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by quamb View Post

What? Nintendo are not going anywhere, or need to "test" their software on an Apple platform. The fanboy nonsense spinned here sometimes is dumbfounding.

Nintendo are an absolute giant, in a field only held by few (Apple, Sony and MS).

Well, they're a giant whose profits have fallen the last four quarters in a row and who just cut their forecast by 50%, and who is seeing declining sales of their bread and butter products.

Maybe 3D will make everything better, but if it doesn't they're a giant with a fairly constrained looking future. Just because a company is big isn't any guarantee that they can't fall on hard times.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #13 of 54
Quote:

Exactly this.

Nintendo didnt delay anything. They never gave the 3DS a 2010 release date in the first place.
post #14 of 54
Nintendo cut its profit forecast primarily because of the Japanese Yen's surge this year. President Iwata did NOT emphasize anything on Apple's impact of Nintendo's forecasts at the 3DS conference.

Here's Bloomberg's take on Nintendo's announcement, which makes absolutely no mention of Apple because Nintendo themselves did not mention them. Bloomberg
post #15 of 54
They just handed the Christmas shopping season to Apple on a silver platter. Oops.
post #16 of 54
Quote:

they try to create buzz by making an announcement "when they will announce it"
then its NOT here for Christmas

doesn't matter they are giving the biggest market to all their competitors like apple

bad bad bad bad planning.....stock will reflect it
to maintain any momentum, they will have to cut prices, bundle freebies or low price items
basically reduce margin
wow, bad bad
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
I APPLE THEREFORE I AM
post #17 of 54
Apple isn't "canibalizing" Nintendo anymore than Humans 'canibalize' Chickens or Cows.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Apple isn't "canibalizing" Nintendo anymore than Humans 'canibalize' Chickens or Cows.

Kinda like, the other white meat??
post #19 of 54
I've yet to find a single App Store game that can suck me in for hours on end like any of the DS games I have. None even comes close. What App Store games are good at is lower-production value games, puzzle games, digital versions of card or board games, etc. Any kind of deep adventure game or even some semblance of a plot just falls flat. Even existing games don't translate well - I bought Final Fantasy 1/2 yesterday since they were on sale, played each for about 3 minutes and hit the home button. They were terrible, terrible implementations, because they used the same idea of screen-as-gamepad. It just doesn't work. Touchscreen works well for a number of genres, it can work well together with hard controls (see any number of great DS games), but it can never replace a gamepad. Which is why I'll keep my iPhone 4 and continue to play games like Sudoku on it, and I'll be in line for a 3DS at launch day.
post #20 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I've yet to find a single App Store game that can suck me in for hours on end like any of the DS games I have. None even comes close. What App Store games are good at is lower-production value games, puzzle games, digital versions of card or board games, etc. Any kind of deep adventure game or even some semblance of a plot just falls flat. Even existing games don't translate well - I bought Final Fantasy 1/2 yesterday since they were on sale, played each for about 3 minutes and hit the home button. They were terrible, terrible implementations, because they used the same idea of screen-as-gamepad. It just doesn't work. Touchscreen works well for a number of genres, it can work well together with hard controls (see any number of great DS games), but it can never replace a gamepad. Which is why I'll keep my iPhone 4 and continue to play games like Sudoku on it, and I'll be in line for a 3DS at launch day.

and here's a bottle of chilled champagne, whilst you wait.
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomu View Post

Nintendo is like apple

They know how to create software and to keep the control but like Apple their business is to sell hardware.

It's not Mario video game who makes the money but the wii and ds. But mario allows to sell many devices.

That's untrue. Whilst Nintendo does make a small profit on each Wii and DS sold, the amount is paltry. The real money for any console manufacturer is games, both directly through first party titles and licensing fees for third party titles.

The potential for software sales is so great that Sony and Microsoft are willing to sell their consoles at a loss.
post #22 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They just handed the Christmas shopping season to Apple on a silver platter. Oops.

Actually, they just wrung out another big quarter of sales for the DSi and DS Lite lines, and then guaranteed a big quarter by introducing the 3DS a couple of months after Christmas.
post #23 of 54
Man, this is a smug week for me, I hate being right this often.

Where are all those mouthpieces who argued with me here that iOS had no chance of affecting Nintendo?

Probably on ignore, thats where.
post #24 of 54
$300 for a Nintendo handheld? Good luck with that!
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

Actually, they just wrung out another big quarter of sales for the DSi and DS Lite lines, and then guaranteed a big quarter by introducing the 3DS a couple of months after Christmas.

Please.

Read the article. The writing is on the wall.

This year's results still appear bleak, as sales of the Wii and DS have dropped off. Nintendo's profit warning Wednesday lowered the company's profit forecast for the fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2011, from 200 billion yen ($2.39 billion) to 90 billion yen ($1.07 billion), the report. Nintendo stock fell in response to the news.

The whole reason for the 3DS' existence is to answer Apple's offerings.

Missing the holidays is a big deal, since 40 percent of sales in the game industry occur in the fourth quarter.
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by desides View Post

What guarantee are you talking about? There is no guaranteed anything for Nintendo anymore. Their offerings have plummeted down the tube. The next 3DS or whatever is going to be a total flop. They waited too long. People are putting their DS and the stack of ridiculous game cases in the closet, or selling them back to the stores.

The convenience and value of an iPod touch is obvious to even my 6 year old.

I've asked her if she'd prefer a DS, she says, (and she's 6!) "who wants to carry all those games around? I've got a lot more right here (holding her iPod)"
-----

Also, you must not be familiar with retail, and how well products sell in the first few months after christmas (sarcasm).
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A 3D Nintendo hand-held might not differentiate itself for long. Patent filings reveal that Apple has also been looking into 3D display options for several years now.

I don't think today's 3D display technology and gyroscope go well together. The moment you're tilting your unit out of the 3D sweet-spot (that migh be just milimeters of tilting away) the 3D effect will disappear. Touch and 3D could also be somewhat conflicting, breaking the magic.

If there ever will be a true 3D screen or holographic technology that is not based on providing 2 pictures, one for each of your eyes, then we would be in magic land. But this would require a lot of innovation.
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Holy crap I missed that part. I expected a failure when I thought it would be $99.
bye Nintendo.

This is good though. Maybe in a year Nintendo will be so desperate they'll begin releasing their titles on iOS.
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Kinda like, the other white meat??

"Canibalize" means "to eat your own kind"; e.g. Apple's iPad canibalizing Apple's MacBook.

Between two different companies it is simply called "competition".
post #30 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I don't think today's 3D display technology and gyroscope go well together. The moment you're tilting your unit out of the 3D sweet-spot (that migh be just milimeters of tilting away) the 3D effect will disappear. Touch and 3D could also be somewhat conflicting, breaking the magic.

If there ever will be a true 3D screen or holographic technology that is not based on providing 2 pictures, one for each of your eyes, then we would be in magic land. But this would require a lot of innovation.

And huge ammount of bandwith/graphics processing power
post #31 of 54
Quote:

I guess you don't like/didn't try Sonic the Hedgehog 2?
post #32 of 54
Quote:

I agree with you. In general Nintendo DS games are far better than any of the offering of the App Store. Play Madden or Street Fighter on both platforms and tell me which is the better gaming experience... The App Stores has high sales number because most games are significantly cheaper (impulse purchases) compared to DS titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

I guess you don't like/didn't try Sonic the Hedgehog 2?

Genesis version is much better... Same holds true for Earthworm Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Nintendo won't have any issues selling millions of 3DSs at that price...
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Holy crap I missed that part. I expected a failure when I thought it would be $99.
bye Nintendo.

This is good though. Maybe in a year Nintendo will be so desperate they'll begin releasing their titles on iOS.

I knew Nintendo was in trouble the moment my son chose an iPod touch over Nintendo DS. He was a little interested in the PSP.. just a little.. but he didn't even bother with the DS.

Nintendo need to catch up with the competition. The Wii and DS are way behind. If they want to be a gaming platform then they need to have powerful graphics and performance. The "we are for family fun" won't last long.
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I knew Nintendo was in trouble the moment my son chose an iPod touch over Nintendo DS. He was a little interested in the PSP.. just a little.. but he didn't even bother with the DS.

Nintendo need to catch up with the competition. The Wii and DS are way behind. If they want to be a gaming platform then they need to have powerful graphics and performance. The "we are for family fun" won't last long.

Yes indeed.

But it's not just about games, it's about *everything else* you get with iOS. Entry into the Apple ecosystem. Say goodbye to single-function, "dedicated" devices. It used to be that a dedicated device meant that it was built to excel supremely at its primary (and only) function. It's a whole different ballgame today. Just look at the iPhone 4's camera and all the photog apps. Truly astounding. Take a gander at the iPhone 4 photos section on MR and you'll be amazed. Point-and-shoots are in deep, deep trouble. As for lower-end DSLRs, Apple has them in the crosshairs as well. Not there yet, but soon . . .
post #35 of 54
Nintendo just can't compete with apple so Nintendo wants to do mission impossible !! I don't think Nintendo can make 3ds !! Nintendo just doesn't want to lose face !!
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

This article should make the posters here very happy.

Does it include you?

CGC
post #37 of 54
Wow, the spin on this article is terrible, even for Apple fanboy standards.

Apple and Nintendo are in two completely different markets. As much as Apple would like you to believe the iPod touch is a true gaming device up to the standards of the PSP or DS, its not. I've bought a bunch of games for my iPhone and iPad. And honestly, every single one leaves me wanting more. Or they leave me wanting higher quality.

Look at all of the kart racers on the iPhone and iPod. Not a single one can compare to Mario Kart DS. Better track options, better track design, better characters, weapons. Basically, better everything.

I think Angry Birds and GTA: Chinatown Wars are really the only two "real" games on the platform. Angry Birds not so much really. Everything else is just half assed that leaves you wanting a REAL game that the iOS platform just can't provide because of the lack of physical controls.

So while the iPod touch currently be outselling the DS and PSP, that doesn't mean it has better or even real games in comparison.

Don't be quick to say the 3DS will be selling at $300 either. The Japanese Yen is extremely strong right now, and if you look at other products being sold (and even Nintendo's past pricing), the 3DS should launch here at about $250. Which is still good, considering you get a REAL gaming device with proven classics. Not a system where the best selling game has you slingshotting birds at big faces.
post #38 of 54
Quote:

How is Final Fantasy Deficient in any way? It is actually a better game than the PS version and a PERFECT example of how DS games could succeed.

Brain Age also comes to mind.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Apple and Nintendo are in two completely different markets. As much as Apple would like you to believe the iPod touch is a true gaming device up to the standards of the PSP or DS, its not. I've bought a bunch of games for my iPhone and iPad. And honestly, every single one leaves me wanting more. Or they leave me wanting higher quality.

Look at all of the kart racers on the iPhone and iPod. Not a single one can compare to Mario Kart DS. Better track options, better track design, better characters, weapons. Basically, better everything.

I think Angry Birds and GTA: Chinatown Wars are really the only two "real" games on the platform. Angry Birds not so much really. Everything else is just half assed that leaves you wanting a REAL game that the iOS platform just can't provide because of the lack of physical controls.

So while the iPod touch currently be outselling the DS and PSP, that doesn't mean it has better or even real games in comparison.

Don't be quick to say the 3DS will be selling at $300 either. The Japanese Yen is extremely strong right now, and if you look at other products being sold (and even Nintendo's past pricing), the 3DS should launch here at about $250. Which is still good, considering you get a REAL gaming device with proven classics. Not a system where the best selling game has you slingshotting birds at big faces.

And, don't delude yourself either -- all of them are into gaming. It is true that one would cater to more serious gamers, but Nintendo and the other compannies were also reaching out to not-so serious gamers, like children and other casual players (young and more mature people),

If game device makers like Apple, even Android-based devices can attract these casual players, then the result is a significant reduction of the "potential customer base".

I would not be surprised if serious gamers would stick to Nintendo, or some other gaming devices of choice. The reality though is the ratio of serious gamers vs casual gamers.

Then, there is the economics of the cost of the Apps or games. Even a young child would understand the difference berween $1 as opposed to $10-30. They could have more than a dozen games to one of those "better games". A young kid could simply buy a game or two from his/her allowance -- considering those casual games are about at the same cost level as a soda or a burger or a slice of cheese at the mall.

If they get bored with what they have, they just buy another App that may be the current craze of their buddies. Among young people, gaming is as much belonging -- to be playing what their peers are playing.

And, don't forget the purpose of gaming. To casual gamers, sometimes it is not really gaming -- it is more something to occupy their time when getting bored with parents, even in the classroom, travel, waiting in line, etc. You cannot occupy your "stolen minutes" with serious games.

Assuming you own an iPod Touch or an iPhone, how many of the tens of thousands of game Apps have you really tested? Or, are you like one of those who judge something just by their covers? The other issue is about choices and taste. Sure some Apps may not cater to your taste, but it may be good enough for others, especially those who just wanted to occupy their few minutes, to avoid boredom,

The way you define games, you limit yourself to "action games". If you expand the scope to include anything that entertains, there are also "games that may cater more to the "more cerebral", or more important, to those that prefer social interaction, group games. These kinds of games or entertainment would not depend so much on the technology but more on the skills of the players, and the ability to strategize, or psyched their opponents. For these kinds of games, it is no longer the console or the manipulation of the device that matters, it is how the software was created.

There are now tens of thousands of games available to the same customer base in the more than hundred millions of iOS customer base. It is a huge market. Even a 99cent game can mean tens, hundreds of thousands of dollars or even millions of sales, if the game is truly good. To many casual game developers that market base is very enticing. For the potential money to be gained alone, the more than hundred thousand game developers have every reason to keep on improving and innovating to stand out. This will ensure that game Apps, like all other Apps will keep on improving.

I never played games myself, but I remember how addicted one of my friends was to PacMan??? Look how far "computer games" have come -- including those now available in mobile computing devices.

Another advantage, was there ever a time that you also get bored with your serious games or whatever games you have? Well, with multi-purpose mobile computing devices, you only have your mind to limit your choices.

Do yhou have those alternatives with your Nintendo, or some other gaming devices? You might counter that I have my smartphone for that; but then a young kid may counter, yeah, but I can do all that with my iPod Touch. And now, they can even have FaceTime with their friends who also own one.

CGC
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

Look at all of the kart racers on the iPhone and iPod. Not a single one can compare to Mario Kart DS. IMHO Better track options, better track design, better characters, weapons. Basically, better everything.

I think Angry Birds and GTA: Chinatown Wars are really the only two "real" games on the platform. Angry Birds not so much really. I think Everything else is just half assed that leaves you wanting a REAL game that the iOS platform just can't provide because of the lack of physical controls.

So while the iPod touch currently be outselling the DS and PSP, that doesn't mean it has better or even what I consider real games in comparison.

So yeah it seems you are completely dependent on physical controls to enjoy your games. Not everyone is, and a best selling games on any platform is not something to dismiss entirely simply because you "don't get it".

I, on the other hand find games system controllers to be a PITA, non-intuitive arbitrary clusters of key and joy-stick controls that have to be decoded to be used properly by the average consumer. Ardent gamers of course love the controllers because they can use them well based on hours of intensive gaming/OCD. The average consumer is not interested in having to learn key mapping and key combos to use a device - hence the popularity of the touch interface and the games that are on them. It is the right, for this group of users, combination of gameplay and control with a low learning curve. So those who are ardent game system gamers - yeah the problem is obvious and understandable - but it isn't the majority of the consumers who are using the iOS platforms - and that's where the money is.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Nintendo delays 3D portable gaming device, lowers forecast