or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple rumored to be testing touchscreen panels for new iMac

Apple rumored to be testing touchscreen panels for new iMac

post #1 of 135
Rumors of a touchscreen desktop iMac continue to persist, with a new report on Friday alleging that Apple is testing potential displays for the supposed hardware.

Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes said that Sintek Photronics has sent samples of capacitive touch panels to Apple for a new touchsreen all-in-one iMac desktop computer. The report claimed that the new hardware will have screen sizes of 20 inches and greater.

"The new iMac is rumored to have a good vertical and horizontal viewing angle, and its projected capacitive touch panel will adopt a one-glass solution, which integrates the touch sensor and cover glass, to reduce thickness and weight," the report said.

It noted that most touch panels are made by placing the sensor over the panel, and are then covered with glass. But it is said this method is costly, complex, and results in a dimmer screen.

It was said that Sintek Photronics "has a good chance" of becoming a supplier for the alleged new line of iMacs. No projected release date for the rumored hardware was given.

In January of this year, rumors indicated that a 22-inch touchscreen iMac would launch this year. But the claims in Friday's report that Apple is still testing touch panels would suggest that a 2010 launch is not likely.

A number of patent applications from Apple this year show touch-capable iMac-style desktop computers. One interesting filing shows a machine that could operate in a traditional format, but with a hinge on the back that would allow it to be tilted for easier access for a user's fingertips.

Another application described a desktop screen that could detect shapes and objects pressed against it. It described a machine that would allow new types of input, such as a security system that required a physical key to be pressed against the screen and detected.
post #2 of 135
Totally logical progression, a merging of OS X and iOS features on more powerful machines.

Ports will have to move to the stand from the back of the screen as now since the screen moves so much. Assuming it has ports!

What good are patents? PC makers will copy this with an Android - Chrome lash up immediately.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #3 of 135
I see the limitations of touch screens quite often on my iPad. Just give me USB 3 on the current iMac and I'm sold ;-)
post #4 of 135
That hinge that allow bringing down the screen to the touchscreen position will just be a source of complaints from customers. I have never seen a non-counterbalanced hinge that with constant use doesn't loosen in time. And without a counterbalance, imagine what the weight of the base should be to prevent the monitor/CPU from tipping into the desk when in the touchscreen position. The second hinge at the back of the monitor will also loosen up in time.
post #5 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Rumors of a touchscreen desktop iMac continue to persist, with a new report on Friday alleging that Apple is testing potential displays for the supposed hardware.

This all seems very familiar -- haven't we seen this in a previous patent or rumor?
post #6 of 135
On another forum I saw someone suggesting that in vertical mode you have OS X and in horizontal mode iOS - nice idea!

Apple seems not only to be eager to revolutionise the phone or for the first time successfully introduce a new device category - they want to revolutionise our entire digital life. I can't really see that a desktop computer can really benefit from a touch sensitive screen. I would rather prefer a keyboard that gets a large additional touch sensitive pad. There have been numerous studies on the net that I really liked. But let's see.
post #7 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

On another forum I saw someone suggesting that in vertical mode you have OS X and in horizontal mode iOS - nice idea!

Apple seems not only to be eager to revolutionise the phone or for the first time successfully introduce a new device category - they want to revolutionise our entire digital life. I can't really see that a desktop computer can really benefit from a touch sensitive screen. I would rather prefer a keyboard that gets a large additional touch sensitive pad. There have been numerous studies on the net that I really liked. But let's see.

Interesting way to switch ... did they make any comment as to the two modes interaction ... as in are they totally separate like Dashboard and Finder say or would it merge so for example the same iteration of Pages can be both mouse and touch driven depending on the mode?
post #8 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

This all seems very familiar -- haven't we seen this in a previous patent or rumor?

We have. The new part is the rumour about the touchscreens, not the patent.

Quote:

Im not so sure about this tech. I dont think Apple is like others and will introduce any expensive touchscreen display that adds more complexity without a solid reason for usability and without having an OS rewrite that takes advantage of this HW feature.

That makes me this is something more inclined for new Macs after 10.7 gets demoed to us with some new touchscreen features that are coming right from iOS. Note: Im aware that any OS can be used with a touchscreen but having a UI that designed for fingers is different than one designed for a mouse pointer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #9 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

That hinge that allow bringing down the screen to the touchscreen position will just be a source of complaints from customers. I have never seen a non-counterbalanced hinge that with constant use doesn't loosen in time. And without a counterbalance, imagine what the weight of the base should be to prevent the monitor/CPU from tipping into the desk when in the touchscreen position. The second hinge at the back of the monitor will also loosen up in time.

Wouldn't a simple, elegantly designed mechanical lock on one side solve this though? Slide the screen to desired position and press or rotate lock. Press to release.
post #10 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Interesting way to switch ... did they make any comment as to the two modes interaction ... as in are they totally separate like Dashboard and Finder say or would it merge so for example the same iteration of Pages can be both mouse and touch driven depending on the mode?

No, this was just an idea of a commentator. From this tech on you could think of any kind of hybrid interaction as you want.
post #11 of 135
It's a natural evolution of Apple, iMacs and a big-ass screen. You want to reach out and touch it. Sure, it's gimmicky, but imagine them touch visual interfaces and apps Apple and others will come out with. It'll sell, if only for the novelty factor, it'll get more people to Macs. You gotta have at least one touchscreen model. But Apple will do the UI right and everyone else will be like... Damnnnn

If they could keep the price point as it is and have a 21" touchscreen model, that would be cool.
post #12 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Im not so sure about this tech. I dont think Apple is like others and will introduce any expensive touchscreen display that adds more complexity without a solid reason for usability and without having an OS rewrite that takes advantage of this HW feature.

That makes me this is something more inclined for new Macs after 10.7 gets demoed to us with some new touchscreen features that are coming right from iOS. Note: Im aware that any OS can be used with a touchscreen but having a UI that designed for fingers is different than one designed for a mouse pointer.

Actually, I do agree. I also don't think this sounds like an Appleish approach. Apple usually doesn't follow a simple, impulsive idea 'yeah, let's bring touch to the Mac!' (as others do and fail), but give it some proper thought. I would also expect a different implementation, at least for the Mac, and would also not expect it before 10.8.
post #13 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's a natural evolution of Apple, iMacs and a big-ass screen. You want to reach out and touch it. Sure, it's gimmicky, but imagine them touch visual interfaces and apps Apple and others will come out with. It'll sell, if only for the novelty factor, it'll get more people to Macs. You gotta have at least one touchscreen model. But Apple will do the UI right and everyone else will be like... Damnnnn

If they could keep the price point as it is and have a 21" touchscreen model, that would be cool.

I see virtual slide guitars and synth keyboards ... mmmmm

We should not forget Ballmer already has one, ok it is a converted pool table, weighs two tons and requires several cameras and costs a zillion dollars but ... they were first! Ballmer has one in his back room for parties i hear. You can make water ripple and move virtual pieces of paper and a few pictures around.
post #14 of 135
Quote:

Actually, I do agree. I also don't think this sounds like an Appleish approach. Apple usually doesn't follow a simple, impulsive idea 'yeah, let's bring touch to the Mac!' (as others do and fail), but give it some proper thought. I would also expect a different implementation, at least for the Mac, and would also not expect it before 10.8.

Id much rather have the glass multitouch trackpad visually output as needed. Certain types of apps would be greatly benefited by this, like the calculator. As it stands now I often will just grab my iPhone because typing on the touch screen is better than using a mouse or keyboard for inputting on a desktop OS calculator.
post #15 of 135
Quote:

Id much rather have the glass multitouch trackpad visually output as needed. Certain types of apps would be greatly benefited by this, like the calculator. As it stands now I often will just grab my iPhone because typing on the touch screen is better than using a mouse or keyboard for inputting on a desktop OS calculator.

Yep - that would be a great iteration!
post #16 of 135
Quote:

I’d much rather have the glass multitouch trackpad visually output as needed. Certain types of apps would be greatly benefited by this, like the calculator. As it stands now I often will just grab my iPhone because typing on the touch screen is better than using a mouse or keyboard for inputting on a desktop OS calculator.

We all watch CNN etc. and see large touch screens being used to show news and weather. A simple iteration to be sure but these systems show how much better direct manipulation is in many circumstances (as with the calculator). I find many things annoying to use with a mouse now AND a track pad after using the iPad. Yet I need the mouse and or stylus in fine detailed situations. I can see a hybrid OS in the future on higher end Macs with the best from each technology. Once used there will be no going back.
post #17 of 135
Great idea. A 27 inch glossy screen full of fingerprints is going to look terrific.
post #18 of 135
1) How did Blackintosh get off my ignore list.

2) I bet if this come to fruition he’ll be the first in line to say how this has been around for years and Apple is just copying everyone else again and trying to pass it off as their own idea, regardless of what SW they created to make it useful and viable for consumers.
post #19 of 135
Quote:

I agree with you on calculator. But for me as a personal preference I don't want to get that close to my iMac to touch the screen. Overall the benifits don't sway me versus the annoyance of have to be that close to the screen to have to touch it all the time.....I would just grab my iPad and sit on the sofa....

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

Tallest Skil:

"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."

post #20 of 135
Quote:

1) How did he get off my ignore list.

2) i bet if this come to fruition hell be the first in line to say how this has been around for years and Apple is just copying everyone else again and trying to pass it off as their own idea, regardless of what SW they created to make it useful and viable for consumers.

I already paid all due reverence to MS's masterful implementation higher up the thread

AND you left HIS quote in!
post #21 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with you on calculator. But for me as a personal preference I don't want to get that close to my iMac to touch the screen. Overall the benifits don't sway me versus the annoyance of have to be that close to the screen to have to touch it all the time.....I would just grab my iPad and sit on the sofa....

I think a lot of people agree with you on not wanting to touch the screen. Even if Apple does resolve the uncomfortable notion of touching a vertical display there are still fingerprints and smudges* to contend with as well as the transition effort and time from vertical to fairly horizontal that make this less than ideal unless Apple has some very specific uses in place.

* Im aware that iDevices use a touchscreen that suffer this fate, but its a necessary evil for those highly portable devices.
post #22 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Maybe not. I've designed hinges that maintain their "feel". It's not that hard to do.
post #23 of 135
Quote:

I think a lot of people agree with you on not wanting to touch the screen. Even if Apple does resolve the uncomfortable notion of touching a vertical display there are still fingerprints and smudges* to contend with as well as the transition effort and time from vertical to fairly horizontal that make this less than ideal unless Apple has some very specific uses in place.

* I’m aware that iDevices use a touchscreen that suffer this fate, but it’s a necessary evil for those highly portable devices.

I'm not so concerned about it. My iPad does get plenty of smudges, but you really can't see them while the screen is on. That surprised me.

The advantages of properly adding touch would so outweigh any small problems with smudges that it would be worth it.

As far as the hinge thing goes. I've got a design with curved rails that the computer would slide up and down on. Pull it towards you and it would slide down almost horizontally. Push it back, and it would slide upwards in a vertical position. It could be used anywhere between. counterbalancing would ensure it would move easily, and stay put. If really necessary, the curved rails could be mounted on a platform that would be swiveled up and down for further adjustment, and could be locked into place if required.
post #24 of 135
I have a new magic trackpad, it is just like having a touch screen.
post #25 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm not so concerned about it. My iPad does get plenty of smudges, but you really can't see them while the screen is on. That surprised me.

The advantages of properly adding touch would so outweigh any small problems with smudges that it would be worth it.

As far as the hinge thing goes. I've got a design with curved rails that the computer would slide up and down on. Pull it towards you and it would slide down almost horizontally. Push it back, and it would slide upwards in a vertical position. It could be used anywhere between. counterbalancing would ensure it would move easily, and stay put. If really necessary, the curved rails could be mounted on a platform that would be swiveled up and down for further adjustment, and could be locked into place if required.

I have to agree totally with you on all points. Get that design to Ives
post #26 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhide View Post

I have a new magic trackpad, it is just like having a touch screen.

Not really. I know what you mean but your brain is doing some work here. You are not directly manipulating an object you are referencing the position and moving it from elsewhere. It is a great solution but not the same.
post #27 of 135
This could have real commercial possibilities, rather than residential. For example, a cash register layout, a limited workstation, (like a fedex terminal) Kiosk sales station, a directions station with interactive maps. Yes, I know that MS has its table thang, but they have failed to commecialize it properly, and it is more of a technology showpiece.

And Johnny Ives will have to get the crew in the counterbalance and hinge departments working overtime.

I also see the value in scaling up touch panels, for a larger ipad for us old folk with cheaters.

Personally, I will stick with the keyboard for my Imac, but to be able to open an application or shutdown would be useful.
post #28 of 135
Quote:

I have to agree totally with you on all points. Get that design to Ives

I sent plans for a G5 mini tower to a friend in upper engineering management at Apple right after the G5 first came out, to sell for about $1,000. He thought it would work, but that it wouldn't fly within Apple. I suspect that they would't do this either.

But, as a third party device, it might, only if Apple maintained the VESA mount in back.
post #29 of 135
Quote:

Maybe its a lack of an oleophobic coating but I can easily see smudges on my MBPs glass display. Perhaps its the use of a TN panel and/or the way the display is set behind the glass, but I think its the size that allow for more view angles from farther away. Frankly, that isnt my primary concern.

On top of that, what reason is there to add this feature over a visual display that can turned on instantly for tasks that would be most benefit from touch on a desktop OS? Its already at your fingertips.

Im also worried about Apple making a proper joint system. Ive had excellent hinges on notebooks for years now and LiquidMetal seems promising on that front. I just dont see what could be so desirable for consumers that Id want to pic up my hands from the keyboard, mouse/trackpad grab my iMac monitor with my hands pull it down toward me (maybe clean off some stuff in front of my desk if they were in the way) then start working on semi-horizontal display that has now changed for touch input. What is the benefit? And how would this work with Mac notebooks, are they excluded?

I think that large, glass trackpad that is now made for their desktops would be the best way to make this work and be useful.
post #30 of 135
Quote:

Maybe its a lack of an oleophobic coating but I can easily see smudges on my MBPs glass display. Perhaps its the use of a TN panel and/or the way the display is set behind the glass, but I think its the size that allow for more view angles from farther away. Frankly, that isnt my primary concern.

On top of that, what reason is there to add this feature over a visual display that can turned on instantly for tasks that would be most benefit from touch on a desktop OS? Its already at your fingertips.

Im also worried about Apple making a proper joint system. Ive had excellent hinges on notebooks for years now and LiquidMetal seems promising on that front. I just dont see what could be so desirable for consumers that Id want to pic up my hands from the keyboard, mouse/trackpad grab my iMac monitor with my hands pull it down toward me (maybe clean off some stuff in front of my desk if they were in the way) then start working on semi-horizontal display that has now changed for touch input. What is the benefit? And how would this work with Mac notebooks, are they excluded?

I think that large, glass trackpad that is now made for their desktops would be the best way to make this work and be useful.

If it ever comes to pass I bet you will try it and love it .. what ever it is that is! Apple won't release something that is half baked I am sure.
post #31 of 135
Quote:

If it ever comes to pass I bet you will try it and love it .. what ever it is that is! Apple won't release something that is half baked I am sure.

Thats why i tend to like Apples products, they arent just going to release a me to product. Its just that I cant see the benefit or usefulness of this idea at this point. Love to get some brain storming going.
post #32 of 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

It seems to me that this would be pretty much like using Windows 7 on a tablet. Neither OS X nor Win7 are optimized for touch. When the iPad came out with a cellphone OS, it was generally thought to be a better choice then OSX for that format.

I can't imaging moving my entire arm to point to something, rather than just move my index finger to the touchpad.

The entire idea of a desktop computer with a touchscreen strikes me as foolish.

So why don't news men and weather men use hand held track pads to manipulate the large screens? It's all to do with scale. The larger screens would be hard to be accurate on with a much smaller track pad for one and you are not looking in the right place for the other. Then think of applications like a virtual synth keyboard, how do you play that on a track pad? I am sure there will be millions of apps that can take advantage of a large touch screen that simply don't currently exist. My hope is the best of both worlds will be available and available to be used where the user feels the need for either suits them best, i.e. more than one way to use the OS just as I can use a mouse or track pad now.
post #33 of 135
Quote:

It seems to me that this would be pretty much like using Windows 7 on a tablet. Neither OS X nor Win7 are optimized for touch. When the iPad came out with a cellphone OS, it was generally thought to be a better choice then OSX for that format.

I can't imaging moving my entire arm to point to something, rather than just move my index finger to the touchpad.

The entire idea of a desktop computer with a touchscreen strikes me as foolish.

There's a big difference between Apple and MS Here. MS is devoted to Windows, and has a lot of problems with backwards compatibility. They have no imagination. They've had since 2000 to come up with a workable touch tablet version of Windows, but they've blown it so far. Win Mobile was never successful as a stylus operated OS either.

But Apple has iOS, which unlike Win Mobile, or any other of MS's mobile OS's, is a UNIX, heavy duty OS. MS's mobile OS's are nowhere near as powerful, and they aren't the slightest bit compatible either, because they aren't based on Windows, despite their names.

An advantage Apple has here is that ARM chips, no matter what their incarnations will be in the future, will never be as powerful as Intel's desktop chips, now that Apple is using them for its iMacs. This means that iOS apps, running in emulation, will always run at, or ABOVE their iOS speeds when running on a desktop, and probably even on a laptop. These apps could evolve for a new platform.

This, in addition, means that Apple can integrate iOS with its mother OS, being that the main difference is the desktop, and not the underlying OS.

I can see apps running on the iMac very well, using touch. I can also see desktop apps beginning to use some of the iOS touch methodologies as well, combining them in a way that MS simply cannot do with Windows.

I can also see, in the future, the two OS's being combined in a way that will easily, and naturally allow all input methods to work in an equal way.

When that happens, software companies will follow.

I believe that's one reason we didn't see OS X at the developers conference last june. I feel sure that Apple is doing a lot of work on that, and likely decided to do so after unexpected large sales from the iPad popped up. Apple has said that those sales were much higher than they expected, and are speeding up, which is not the usual situation after the first adopters get theirs. This likely influenced them, and pushed 10.7 back. There are a lot of little birds flying around me, and sometimes their song is too pretty not to listen to.

This, along with all the patents lately, should give one pause.
post #34 of 135
Quote:

You're beginning to sound like an old fogey. People said the very same things about mice and drop down menus. I've learned to ignore the negative comments.

I sometimes find myself reaching for my screen to touch something, and then belatedly remember I'm using my Mac Pro rather than my iPad. Since you didn't keep your iPad because you couldn't figure out what to do with it, you're a terrible person to talk to about all of this. You first need to buy another iPad, and USE it. Then you'll understand.

Other than that, my last post gives some reasons why this will work.
post #35 of 135
Quote:

Partial Quote:

There are a lot of little birds flying around me, and sometimes their song is too pretty not to listen to.

This, along with all the patents lately, should give one pause.

Thank you! Very well explained. I was beginning to feel alone in this same belief
post #36 of 135
Quote:

What about Apple TV?

Apple has indeed released several half-baked products.

Well I have had ATV since day one, we love it and use it almost daily and it has been a huge success for us. It is literally our entertainment hub for music at parties (saves all the equipment in the great room, just need amp and speakers). It is how we watch HD movies now (instead of going out to the movies in these hard times). Plus how we view all our pictures and home made movies.

We even take it on our annual vacation along with an AE as we use it to view pics and our own movies taken that day. Plus I take a TB drive with tons of movies on with us in case of rain or internet is lousy as is often the case. Now I added Boxee it takes on even more uses albeit it can't drive Boxee on a 62 inch HD TV sadly but it can on smaller screens.

What's not to love?
post #37 of 135
Quote:

What about Apple TV?

Apple has indeed released several half-baked products.

Apple Tv was an experiment, which, according to accounts, still sold in the millions each year. The new model has actually gotten very good reviews. It's up to the media companies to understand what has to be done, despite their resistance.

It's interesting to note that all the other companies making devices that are moving video and audio content around, and are considered to be successful are each only selling hundreds of thousands of units a year.

No one has really been successful in this area, but Apple is closest. The biggest problem is that they want to give us what we want at prices we're willing to pay, but the media companies want much more.

We can look at what happened with music downloads. After Apple gave in and raised some music pricing to $1.29, sales growth has significantly slowed down.

Once this gets straightened out, things will change.
post #38 of 135
Quote:

You're beginning to sound like an old fogey. People said the very same things about mice and drop down menus. I've learned to ignore the negative comments.

I sometimes find myself reaching for my screen to touch something, and then belatedly remember I'm using my Mac Pro rather than my iPad. Since you didn't keep your iPad because you couldn't figure out what to do with it, you're a terrible person to talk to about all of this. You first need to buy another iPad, and USE it. Then you'll understand.

I had to laugh. Sop is always so positive but he does seem to need dragging along on this one.
post #39 of 135
nice - I am looking forward to that. A touch screen interface to Apple's Pro Apps on an iMac will be awesome.
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
Phillip Gibb

Blogger | Java Programmer | Filmmaker
a journey in Filmmaking and Social Media
[ Digital Business Card | SynapticLight | Twitter ]
post #40 of 135
Quote:

Maybe I am an old fogey, but note that I did state what I think is a more viable concept and did not discount these patents, in fact I asked for ideas to help me understand what Apple would have in mind for the SW.

Im a terrible person to talk to because my window of usage between my iPhone and 13 MBP was too small to make an iPad a useful addition to my computing needs? That seems a little harsh, especially considering that I use a touch-based phone and have have been wanting more touch-based features on my Macs for years now.

Anyway, I have an iPad WiFi-3G en route with a delivery slated for tomorrow. I actually have need now for an eReader. Was going to get a Kindle for the low price of $139 whilst waiting for the G2 iPad but they arent readily available.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple rumored to be testing touchscreen panels for new iMac