or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Hackers demonstrate 'jailbreak' exploit on new Apple TV

Hackers demonstrate 'jailbreak' exploit on new Apple TV

post #1 of 38
The same exploit hackers have used to run unauthorized software on iOS 4.1 for the iPhone and iPod touch also works with the new Apple TV, a new screenshot has proven.

When the iOS 4.1 firmware for Apple TV was released earlier this week, hackers said the "SHAtter" exploit would likely work on the new set top box. A new picture released Friday is the first evidence from the group of hackers known as the iPhone Dev Team that the exploit does in fact work.

However, as was stated in the released screenshot, the software is "not quite ready for prime time yet."

A member of the iPhone Dev Team who goes by the handle "MuscleNerd" posted the screenshot via his Twitter account on Friday. It shows a photo of a text entry screen on the device for Home Sharing with modifications made.

"MuscleNerd" indicated that he and his team are "not quite sure how to run apps yet," though. But the ultimate goal is to allow users to install their own third-party software on the device through the "jailbreak" process.

When the iPhone was first released in 2007 and Apple's official App Store for third-party software did not yet exist, hackers who would jailbreak the handset enabled developers to create their own unauthorized software for the device. Though the new Apple TV runs the iOS operating system, it does not have an App Store of its own like the iPhone or iPad.

The first Apple TV orders began arriving this week, and people have been prying away at the secrets contained within the tiny second-generation device. A disassembly of the hardware conducted this week found that the device has 8GB of storage and 256MB of RAM inside.

While hackers are interested in bringing iPhone and iPad features to the Apple TV, another person this week demonstrated the ability to export the "Lowtide" user interface on the new set top box to other iOS devices. Its rough compatibility accomplished with an iPod touch could be a sign that Apple plans to bring playback services to its iOS-powered mobile devices.
post #2 of 38
This is great, it will allow functionality that Apple either won't or cannot allow. For us UK users I think we can look forward to iPlayer and Lovefilm.com access pretty soon as both these services run on all the other iOS devices just fine.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #3 of 38
Low Tide UI could be a great way to watch movies on the iPad, should get integrated into iTunes for iPad. Does anyone know when is SHAtter jailbreak for iPod touch 4G coming?

Edit: And will it really jailbreak for life?
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the device has 8GB of storage and 256MB of RAM insider.

Sounds painful.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #5 of 38
Great. Now I can get one. And I can watch what I want and not spend a hundred bucks just to feed the iTunes store.
post #6 of 38
All I need is to run VLC on it and stream movies that are stored on my shared drive . . . Then life will be grand!!
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sounds painful.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

All I need is to run VLC on it and stream movies that are stored on my shared drive . . . Then life will be grand!!

There is a VLC app? Airvideo would be great too has it support most file format. But I prefer to convert to .m4v and then populate metadata with Identify so my own movies look exactly like the itunes store ones, complete with dvd covert and description.

imo this AppleTV is going to be the cheapest HTPC in the world. Enabling Safari would be great too. In fact, Apple should add safari in there, why not?
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Enabling Safari would be great too. In fact, Apple should add safari in there, why not?

Enable Safari with Flash support and watch Hulu for free. Probably ain't gonna happen.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Enable Safari with Flash support and watch Hulu for free. Probably ain't gonna happen.

Yep. but since its a A4 chip like the ipad I am gonna assumed there wont he any flash support even if they add safari. They dont want to enable Flash on mobile device, but the AppleTV is NOT mobile
post #11 of 38
Just received my new new ATV yesterday and I was underwhelmed. The new features they have, appart from Netflix, were poorly integrated. For example, the movie reviews did not only allow about four reviews, but these reviews were truncated to show about three or four lines! I couldn't read any Podcast reviews. It's just way too generic and un-interesting.

It will be more interesting if I were:
- Able to "email" a YouTube video to friends, with the ability to pull an adress from a MobileMe account.
- Be able to recomend shows, movies, and podcasts to friends who have an iProduct.
- Be able to read FULL-reviews for Movies, TV Shows, and YouTube videos instead of only being restricted to the star-ratings.
- Be able to write a review and post star-ratings right from the iTV (Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and YouTube) using a bluetuth keyboard or the Remote app.
- External USB storage to extend the storage capacity of the iTV instead of using your PC's drive.
- Be able to buy a movie or show at a discounted rate after you've just rented it.
- Be able to share a movie (Purchased ones) with a friend who has an iProduct. Otherwise, the movie prices should be considerably less than their DVD counterparts.
- Add a custom category system to Podcasts, so you can categorize your Favorites.
- App Store would be great!!
- *I know this would be unlikely* A BlueRay/DVD player would be a big plus! And the ability to store those movies on the iTV thus becoming a jukebox.
- A better remote!
bb
bb
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Just received my new new ATV yesterday and I was underwhelmed. The new features they have, appart from Netflix, were poorly integrated. For example, the movie reviews did not only allow about four reviews, but these reviews were truncated to show about three or four lines! I couldn't read any Podcast reviews. It's just way too generic and un-interesting.

- Able to "email" a YouTube video to friends, with the ability to pull an adress from a MobileMe account.
- Be able to recomend shows, movies, and podcasts to friends who have an iProduct.
- Be able to read FULL-reviews for Movies, TV Shows, and YouTube videos instead of only being restricted to the star-ratings.
- Be able to write a review and post star-ratings right from the iTV (Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and YouTube) using a bluetuth keyboard or the Remote app.
- External USB storage to extend the storage capacity of the iTV instead of using your PC's drive.
- Be able to buy a movie or show at a discounted rate after you've just rented it.
- Be able to share a movie (Purchased ones) with a friend who has an iProduct. Otherwise, the movie prices should be considerably less than their DVD counterparts.
- Add a custom category system to Podcasts, so you can categorize your Favorites.
- *I know this would be unlikely* A BlueRay/DVD player would be a big plus! And the ability to store those movies on the iTV thus becoming a jukebox.
- A better remote!

It seems that a MacMini would fit your needs not an AppleTV. Don't expect a $99 device to do all of that without a keyboard and a pointing device.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It seems that a MacMini would fit your needs not an AppleTV. Don't expect a $99 device to do all of that without a keyboard and a pointing device.

He did have one good point though, I understand Apple dumping the hard drive to lower the price, but why not allow a USB hard drive to plug into the back for offline storage.

If they had done that they'd have pleased everyone, stupid damn decision on their part.
post #14 of 38
Quote:

Yep. but since its a A4 chip like the ipad I am gonna assumed there wont he any flash support even if they add safari. They dont want to enable Flash on mobile device, but the AppleTV is NOT mobile

Yeah. Kinda blows a hole in Steve Job's arguments against Flash.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

He did have one good point though, I understand Apple dumping the hard drive to lower the price, but why not allow a USB hard drive to plug into the back for offline storage.

If they had done that they'd have pleased everyone, stupid damn decision on their part.

Because with the new Apple TV you can stream from a computer, iPhone, iPad, or an iPod touch. Your average customer don't really want to bother moving and managing around files and having multiple copies of the same thing. If you want to do that then you are better off with a desktop computer (MacMini) attached to your TV.
Personally, I think what Apple needs now is to upgrade their Time Capsules to act like home media server.
post #16 of 38
Quote:

Well, you can't enable Flash on iOS devices since there is no Flash for iOS. Maybe it will take Adobe another three years to develop it for Apple TV. And maybe the new Flash for AppleTV will be optimized for AppleTV remote like Adobe optimized Flash on Android for touch screens... oh wait!
post #17 of 38
Quote:

Great. Now I can get one. And I can watch what I want and not spend a hundred bucks just to feed the iTunes store.

You've never had to.
post #18 of 38
Quote:

- A better remote!

Wow... not a single item on your wish list is anything I'm particularly interested in, particularly on a gen1 release.
post #19 of 38
Quote:

Yeah... Apple SO doesn't know what they're doing.
post #20 of 38
Quote:

I think you can already do that with your AppleTV. You just store the movie in your iTunes Library. I have terabytes of DVDs stored in my iTunes Library. This is not something you need to Jailbreak for.

I do like the thought of adding some other apps to the store, but I don't know how that would work without a touch screen.
post #21 of 38
Quote:

This is great, it will allow functionality that Apple either won't or cannot allow. For us UK users I think we can look forward to iPlayer and Lovefilm.com access pretty soon as both these services run on all the other iOS devices just fine.

So are you saying when your shiny new atv finally arrives your going to break it?

Have you had any confirmation of delivery yet? I got billed today but still haven't got mine. \ Next Monday apperently.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #22 of 38
I just received it. That thing is tiny. It looks bigger on pics
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by knwbuddy View Post

I doubt that many people would want to boot up their desktop just to watch TV.

Boot up? You actually turn off your computer?
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Wow... not a single item on your wish list is anything I'm particularly interested in, particularly on a gen1 release.

you're telling me you're not interested in lending purchased videos to your friends or checking what people think of a movie before puchasing it, or after renting a movie and then deciding to purchase it, you feel like you should still pay the full price? I don't think you've used one long enough. Apple TV is not 1gen, the interface is almost identical to previous two gens.
bb
bb
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah... Apple SO doesn't know what they're doing.

When it comes to the Apple TV, one has to wonder...
post #26 of 38
is it me, or is it odd that apple released the firmware to the public?

like they want to see what people do with it to know what direction to go with the apple tv......
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Dinosaur View Post

is it me, or is it odd that apple released the firmware to the public?

like they want to see what people do with it to know what direction to go with the apple tv......

It's what they always do. How else are you supposed to restore it or upgrade it?
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post

So are you saying when your shiny new atv finally arrives your going to break it?

Have you had any confirmation of delivery yet? I got billed today but still haven't got mine. \ Next Monday apperently.

Well I won't jailbreak it straight away. I'll wait a few months to allow other people to test it for me!

I have a jail broken. iPhone so that I can use Mywi to tether my iPad (Before people flame me, I pay O2 a monthly fee to allow tethering on other devices). There is certain functionality that the Apple TV does not have, for us in the UK and I'm sure you'll agree a lot of the features of the Apple TV such as NetFlix are not open to us.

If the jail breaking community works out a nice way for me to watch iPlayer and LoveFilm.com etc through my Apple TV I will certainly look into it.
post #29 of 38
Quote:

you're telling me you're not interested in lending purchased videos to your friends or checking what people think of a movie before puchasing it, or after renting a movie and then deciding to purchase it, you feel like you should still pay the full price? I don't think you've used one long enough. Apple TV is not 1gen, the interface is almost identical to previous two gens.

It will be possible to go watch a purchased movie to a friend house if you have a idevice you can load it on the device then play it at the friend house using a cable or if they also have an AppleTV you can just Airplay it.

When all of your purchases will be in the cloud, you will be able to bring your entire collection with you and stream from the net to the idevice then to the TV with airplay.

I will be testing lots of stuff tonight with my new AppleTV, like if my Airvideo app supports Airplay then I will be able to play any file format into the AppleTV using the iphone or Ipad (when new ios is release). But the best would be to put Airvideo directly into the AppleTV with a jailbreak. That thing is screaming for an appstore.
post #30 of 38
if vlc for iPad is an indication, other video formats are not going to work very well on the A4 chip.
post #31 of 38
I received my new Apple TV yesterday; had a chance to play with it for a few minutes and was surprised how much faster the GUI was than on my old Apple TV.

There are clearly a lot of opportunities to improve the capabilities moving forward; like the App store, Web & DVR functionality, Gaming, etc., but off the bat, this thing beats the old version in just about every respect.

Provided you have a some "home sharing" devices with content.

Things I like so far:
Home sharing delivers content much faster than "shared" content on the old Apple TV. That box delivered the same movie via wifi 3 times as fast than my 1st gen. Apple TV via Ethernet.
The new Remote App is a perfect companion for Apple TV. The remote keyboard is fantastic on my iPad. Fast to go through vast content.
Netflix: This thing is a 1000 times better for watching Netflix than any widget/app that Netflix puts out on BD players, TV's or PS3. Their interface is simply ugly, slow, limited & clunky.
I'd buy the Apple TV for Netflix alone...

What I don't like so far:
No video settings, period. Not sure if it's just my TV, but the Apple TV delivers some funky black levels. Anyone else have that?

For $99 this thing is a no-brainer. Definitely the best Netflix interface there is and for that matter, just about any media server. Roku, really??
post #32 of 38
The most important thing about this Jailbreak is the revelation of the code name "Low Tide".

In a recent patent app, Apple refers to a "transition between input modes" i.e. between "a high-resolution input mode UI" and "a low-resolution input mode UI" see: <http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/08/the-mother-lode-welcome-to-the-imac-touch.html>. In this patent, a touchscreen iMac becomes a big iPad when you push it down closer to flat on your desk.

Since iOS can do almost all of what both Widgets and Front Row can do, my guess is that these will merge into the "low-resolution input mode UI", and the Mac OS X will remain the "high-resolution input mode UI".

When that happens, all your iOS apps will then work on your Mac.

If that guess is correct, the high-resolution Mac desktop OS is or will soon be code-named "High Tide".
post #33 of 38
This Apple TV can read in 1080p files without conversion.

It still OUTPUTS 720, though, but if more work with the jailbreak fixes that, I'm buying two immediately.

That's the ONLY thing stopping me right now.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #34 of 38
I certainly agree about lovefilm.com and iPlayer. This is what I want as a UK user. If the Apple TV allowed apps or both of those services to work through Apple's own UI (as with Netflix in the US) I'd order one today.
post #35 of 38
What I forgot to add was the question: when/if do you think we'll see a Lovefilm.com option in the UK, much like Netflix in the States? I can see that opening up the AppleTV to iPlayer and 4OD might require further work or opening it up for apps, but surely Lovefilm could almost be dropped in as a like for like with Netflix?
post #36 of 38
Quote:

Well, until now, Hulu has done its best to keep their services off any TV box, Boxee and so on. They want to be a computer alternative, it seems. Stupid, huh?
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It still OUTPUTS 720, though, but if more work with the jailbreak fixes that, I'm buying two immediately.

It's my contention that, unless you have an HDTV that is larger than about 46", there's no discernable difference. Far more depends on the quality of the compression than anything else.
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have test some 1080p m4v files and there is some frame dropping. I watched a 720p high profile h264 encode last night with only a few frame drop. Old apple tv was not able to play those files at all.

I think a low profile 1080p could be watchable but this device is mark has 720p device which seems to be true.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Hackers demonstrate 'jailbreak' exploit on new Apple TV