or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Strictly European.

Strictly European. - Page 4

Poll Results: Are your views on European influences mostly positive or negative?

• 70% (7)
    Positive.
  • 0% (0)
    Negative.
  • 30% (3)
    Don't know.
10 Total Votes  
post #121 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

This has happened in the US with the Social Security Trust Fund.

Huh? When? Where? Link? What are you talking about?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #122 of 143
Quote:
For 40 years Jean-Marie Le Pen has ruled one of the most successful and feared ultra-nationalist movements in Europe.

In 2002 he shocked France by winning through to the second round of the presidential election.

But now at 82 years of age, the father of the Front National is ready to step aside and he is backing his daughter Marine to succeed him.

"Now it is my desire to carry on my father's fight," she says. "I want to strive for what he believed in, what the French people really want. And if I don't do it, I don't think anyone else is capable."

Zieg Heil
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #123 of 143
Romanian witches use spells to protest new taxes
Quote:
MOGOSOIA, Romania Solace for world leaders trying to enforce painful austerity measures: At least you're not running Romania.
Angry witches are using cat excrement and dead dogs to cast spells on the president and government who are forcing them to pay taxes. Also in the eye of the taxman are fortune tellers, who should have seen it coming.......
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #124 of 143
NPR.org

Which of you live in the U.K. again?

Quote:
Libel laws in many countries, including the U.S., generally require plaintiffs to prove a published article was both false and written maliciously. In Britain, the burden of proof falls on the defendant to demonstrate what it published was true.

That has led celebrities and corporations to sue in British courts, even when the case has only a tenuous connection to the U.K. — a form of "libel tourism" the government has vowed to curb.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #125 of 143
Quote:

I heard someone defending the witches on BBC Radio 4 yesterday that cracked me up. She said "How can you put a price on the good AND THE BAD!! they do?".
"I have been made victorious by terror~ Muhammad

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam," ~ Barack Obama

post #126 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I heard someone defending the witches on BBC Radio 4 yesterday that cracked me up. She said "How can you put a price on the good AND THE BAD!! they do?".

I definitely think we need more witches. Hot and sexy ones.
post #127 of 143
Although not a witch, she was often mistaken to be one:

http://youtubemyway.net/download.php?vq=uqQJB8DR_Zo

(any similarity to a US Senate candidate's message "I'm not a witch" was clearly intentional)

http://www.elvira.com/
post #128 of 143
UK makes sure queen's head will grace its stamps
Quote:
LONDON Britain's business minister says he will guarantee that the monarch's head will appear on British postage stamps even if Royal Mail is sold to a foreign buyer.
Sculptor Arnold Machin's depiction of a youthful Queen Elizabeth II has appeared on billions of stamps since it was first commissioned in 1967 and has become a classic of British design.
So there was disquiet when media reports suggested that plans to part-privatize the Royal Mail could mean that the queen's head would disappear from Britain's letters and parcels.
Business Minister Ed Davey told the Mail on Sunday newspaper that he would put forward an amendment to make it impossible for a buyer to remove the monarch's image from stamps without royal assent.

post #129 of 143
New UK law means queen's secrets to stay that wayunless WikiLeaks hacks into the Palace computers.
post #130 of 143
Quote:

New UK law means queen's secrets to stay that wayunless WikiLeaks hacks into the Palace computers.

That is quite the "nugget"

"All freedom of information requests for details about Prince Charles' correspondence have been rejected. But such requests have managed to extract some royal nuggets, including the queen's 2004 request for money from a fund intended for low-income households to help pay palace heating bills. The request was turned down."

The irony is though that the UK would get more tourists, not less, if they were financially stretched so much they had to rent some council house in Ealing.

post #131 of 143
Scots attempt to overturn US ban on haggis
Quote:
Scottish officials are attempting to persuade American politicians to reverse a 40-year ban on the haggis.

post #132 of 143
"It could become the allegory of the "big society" age. The man appointed by the prime minister to kickstart a revolution in citizen activism is to scale back his hours after discovering that working for free three days a week is incompatible with "having a life".

Lord Wei of Shoreditch, who was given a Tory peerage last year and a desk in the Cabinet Office as the "big society tsar", is to reduce his hours on the project from three days a week to two, to allow him to see his family more and to take on other jobs to pay the bills.

A common criticism of the plans, under which the government hopes that communities will take over the running of local services such as schools and charity projects, is that people don't have time to run a public service on top of holding down a job and seeing their families."
~ http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...i-volunteering

post #133 of 143
Fehmarn link: Denmark opts for sea tunnel to Germany
Quote:
Denmark is to build an underwater tunnel to Germany, cutting road and rail journey times between western Europe and Scandinavia.
The Danish parliament rejected plans for a bridge across the Fehmarn Strait in favour of the tunnel, deciding it would be safer and greener.
Denmark and Germany agreed on the need for the 18km (11.6 miles) link in 2008.
Construction of the Danish-funded tunnel is to begin in 2014 and should be completed within six years.
A budget of 32bn kroner (4.2bn euros, £3.7bn, $5.9 billion) has been drawn up.
The tunnel will be built between the Danish island of Lolland and the German island of Fehmarn. Both islands are already connected by bridges to the rest of their respective countries.

post #134 of 143
High Speed rail line coming to Europe from China-

"China already has the most advanced and extensive high speed rail line in the world, and soon that network will be connected all the way to Europe and the UK! With initial negotiations and surveys already complete, China is now making plans to connect its high speed rail line through 17 other countries in Asia and Eastern Europe in order to connect to the existing infrastructure in the EU. Additional rail lines will also be built into South East Asia as well as Russia, in what will likely become the largest infrastructure project in history."
~ http://inhabitat.com/china-to-connec...way-to-europe/

post #135 of 143
Quote:

High Speed rail line coming to Europe from China-

"China already has the most advanced and extensive high speed rail line in the world, and soon that network will be connected all the way to Europe and the UK! With initial negotiations and surveys already complete, China is now making plans to connect its high speed rail line through 17 other countries in Asia and Eastern Europe in order to connect to the existing infrastructure in the EU. Additional rail lines will also be built into South East Asia as well as Russia, in what will likely become the largest infrastructure project in history."
~ http://inhabitat.com/china-to-connec...way-to-europe/

Wow!!! Can't wait for that!!!!

Who's with me on betting the UK end of this will be - ahem - significantly less efficient than the rest of the line?
post #136 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Wow!!! Can't wait for that!!!!

Who's with me on betting the UK end of this will be - ahem - significantly less efficient than the rest of the line?

Yep, I'd be first in line!

The UK's setting up high speed rail right now. Lets see whether it's up to China's, probably not though, lol!

post #137 of 143
Quote:

Yep, I'd be first in line!

The UK's setting up high speed rail right now. Lets see whether it's up to China's, probably not though, lol!

I guess it will go through Turkey and Iran or maybe Central Asia
post #138 of 143
Quote:

I guess it will go through Turkey and Iran or maybe Central Asia

The Orient Express

meets the Trans-Siberian Railway...just have build a link between the two.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Siberian_Railway

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#three

Look to a future link from Korea to Japan tunnel??
post #139 of 143
The moment Britain became an island

Quote:
Ancient Britain was a peninsula until a tsunami flooded its land-links to Europe some 8,000 years ago. Did that wave help shape the national character?

The coastline and landscape of what would become modern Britain began to emerge at the end of the last Ice Age around 10,000 years ago.

What had been a cold, dry tundra on the north-western edge of Europe grew warmer and wetter as the ice caps melted. The Irish Sea, North Sea and the Channel were all dry land, albeit land slowly being submerged as sea levels rose.

But it wasn't until 6,100BC that Britain broke free of mainland Europe for good, during the Mesolithic period - the Middle Stone Age.

It is thought a landslide in Norway triggered one of the biggest tsunamis ever recorded on Earth, when a landlocked sea in the Norwegian trench burst its banks.

The water struck the north-east of Britain with such force it travelled 40km inland, turning low-lying plains into what is now the North Sea, and marshlands to the south into the Channel. Britain became an island nation......
post #140 of 143
Quote:

Did that wave help shape the national character?

Not likely seen as the indigenous inhabitants were Celts and the 'national character' (or lack thereof) was formed not by this geological occurrence - how could it as the English only turned up in the 6th century as part of the marauding and pillaging which is their stock in trade - but perhaps more by such august organs as the Daily Mail.
post #141 of 143
Quote:

Not likely seen as the indigenous inhabitants were Celts and the 'national character' (or lack thereof) was formed not by this geological occurrence - how could it as the English only turned up in the 6th century as part of the marauding and pillaging which is their stock in trade - but perhaps more by such august organs as the Daily Mail.

I think that the gist was that the isolation of Britain from the mainland of EU helped shaped the character of the Brits.

Quote:
"The people living in the land that would become Britain had become different. They'd been made different. And at the same time, they'd been made a wee bit special as well."

Being so closely bordered by water meant boat-building and seafaring became a way of life. Many millennia on from the tsunami, the British sailed the ocean waves to find new lands and build an empire.

Its more recent history bristles with naval heroes, sea battles and famous explorers. English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish migrants left their homelands to settle far and wide. And Elizabeth I was not only a notable monarch for being a woman, but for presiding over a famous naval victory, and English forays into New World exploration.....

Quote:
"The idea of an 'island nation' is something of a cultural construct," says Rigby.

"But in Britain you are never more than 60 miles from the sea. So it's important to be able to defend the coastline, and to be able to make a living from all around that coastline too."

Many believe its island status has also shaped Britain's rather detached attitude to Europe today, which is still often referred to as "the continent".

In the past, historian David Starkey has argued that Henry VIII's break from the Catholic Church in Rome made him the first Eurosceptic.

"In plans for the elaborate coastal defences that Henry commissioned we can see how England no longer defined itself as part of Europe, but as separate from it - a nation apart," he wrote in the Camden New Journal.

"Catholic Europe was now the threat, the launch pad for invasion. In other words Henry was the first Eurosceptic: the xenophobic, insular politics he created have helped to define English history for the past five centuries."
post #142 of 143
Quote:

I think that the gist was that the isolation of Britain from the mainland of EU helped shaped the character of the Brits.

Yeah...I got it. I know the gist - I was subjected to the propaganda from year 0 and then later at special establishments designed to drum the message home.

I don't buy it though.
post #143 of 143
UK human rights law review 'imminent'
Quote:
A commission to investigate a British Bill of Rights will be set up "imminently", David Cameron has said.
He told MPs it was about time decisions were made in Parliament, not in courts.
The Conservatives had wanted to replace the Human Rights Act 1998 with a UK Bill of Rights but that was opposed by their Lib Dem coalition partners.

Human Rights Act 1998
Quote:
Its aim is to "give further effect" in UK law to the rights contained in the European Convention on Human Rights. The Act makes available in UK courts a remedy for breach of a Convention right, without the need to go to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. It also totally abolished the death penalty in UK law (although this was not required by the Convention in force for the UK at that time). However, by the section 36 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 the death penalty was already abolished.
In particular, the Act makes it unlawful for any public body to act in a way which is incompatible with the Convention, unless the wording of an Act of Parliament means they have no other choice. It also requires UK judges to take account of decisions of the Strasbourg court, and to interpret legislation, as far as possible, in a way which is compatible with the Convention. However, if it is not possible to interpret an Act of Parliament so as to make it compatible with the Convention, the judges are not allowed to override it. All they can do is issue a declaration of incompatibility. This declaration does not affect the validity of the Act of Parliament: in that way, the Human Rights Act seeks to maintain the principle of Parliamentary sovereignty (see: Constitution of the United Kingdom). An individual can still take his case to the Strasbourg court as a last resort.

UK bill of rights plan a 'bad idea', warns head of European court
Quote:
Plans to create a British bill of rights have been strongly criticised by one of Europe's most senior judges, in a stance which could create further conflict between the government and the European court of human rights.

Jean-Paul Costa, the president of the court, has said that repealing the current human rights act would be a "bad idea" and could jeopardise the protection given by the European convention on human rights.

"The project of returning the court to British rule is a bad idea," he said, in an interview with the Guardian. "The human rights act has made a big difference to the protection of rights in the UK. People have started to be acquainted with the European convention on human rights."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Strictly European.