or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Strictly European.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Strictly European. - Page 3

Poll Results: Are your views on European influences mostly positive or negative?

 
  • 70% (7)
    Positive.
  • 0% (0)
    Negative.
  • 30% (3)
    Don't know.
10 Total Votes  
post #81 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I made my point. Don't get all upset because you missed it or tried to spin it and failed miserably.

People in Britain are freezing to death because fuel prices are too high and are depending on government to save them. Your energy minister has admitted the government program that is supposed to deal with fuel poverty is a dismal failure.

Government is not the solution to your problem. It IS the problem.

How do you think fuel prices got so high in the first place? Could it, perhaps, have something to do with the fact that your government has intentionally driven fuel prices higher to "save the planet" from the "threat" of global warming? And if not intentionally, then indirectly by imposing insane regulations and restrictions on energy production.

I bet more than a few people in Britain would really appreciate some global warming right about now.

But I guess it's okay. They won't have to pay NHS (which is broke and running a deficit) to treat their frostbite and hypothermia.

Likewise he will never consider the fact that money in one area of life could have been spent in another area of life. If his taxes paid for his health care and someone elses as well, then it isn't the government's fault he hasn't got money for fuel for heating. The problem of the redistributed income is something MJ will never admit. The government stole your money to pay for X something else for someone else and now you can't afford Y. It's like a pair of blinders being applied. The people providing Y/fuel are just "greedy". THe government that stole the money isn't at fault. The stolen money and the X/health care it provided aren't at fault either.

It is deluded reasoning being shown by him.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #82 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If his taxes paid for his health care and someone elses as well, then it isn't the government's fault he hasn't got money for fuel for heating.

Or if his taxes paid for wars he objected to costing billions a week.

Or if his bills need to go up to give some fat wanker another million in bonus.

Or if the greedy bastard's who run the show's sole response to financial meltdown is to screw the last penny out him before the gravy train sinks forever.

Or if the Capitalist System fucks him up so bad he gets thrown on the scrapheap when they have wrung the last drop of exploitable commodity from his paltry life.

In fact, NONE of it is the Government's fault EVER (unless the Govt is Left-wing which it never really is) - it's ALL HIS OWN FAULT.

We know this because this is the infallible Wingnut extremist truth #1 handed down from Mt Sinai.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #83 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Can't see a problem with it...tellingly you left out the bit about who was REALLY responsible for the deaths: the Capitalist System.

While you are laughably predictable in your spin, the callousness of that comment (and the fact that you would even defend it) shows the true nature of left wing idiocy on this board.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #84 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Or if his taxes paid for wars he objected to costing billions a week.

Or if his bills need to go up to give some fat wanker another million in bonus.

Or if the greedy bastard's who run the show's sole response to financial meltdown is to screw the last penny out him before the gravy train sinks forever.

Or if the Capitalist System fucks him up so bad he gets thrown on the scrapheap when they have wrung the last drop of exploitable commodity from his paltry life.

In fact, NONE of it is the Government's fault EVER (unless the Govt is Left-wing which it never really is) - it's ALL HIS OWN FAULT.

We know this because this is the infallible Wingnut extremist truth #1 handed down from Mt Sinai.

If the government screws up everything it touches, steals from the poor to give to the reach, and only protects special interests instead of human interests.....

..then why the hell do you keep advocating for more and more of it?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #85 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

If the government screws up everything it touches, steals from the poor to give to the reach, and only protects special interests instead of human interests.....

..then why the hell do you keep advocating for more and more of it?

Ive never witnessed that reading these boards, quite the opposite infact.
post #86 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

While you are laughably predictable in your spin, the callousness of that comment (and the fact that you would even defend it) shows the true nature of left wing idiocy on this board.

Some posts take some thought.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #87 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I expect a full attempt to actually understand what he said followed by either agreement with the actual point he was trying to make or nothing. If i had said that in the way he did ( and I never would ) there would be pitchforks and torches.

He is not saying what he appears to be saying from what i can tell. He should not have said what he did and how he did it as it appears to make him look like a real bastard. \

Hands, you may want to clarify your position unless you intended to look like a darwinian nightmare for older people.

Your interpretation is of course right NoahJ. Clearly the price hikes we are getting here in the UK are "a Darwinian nightmare for older people." All 28,500 of them last year, at the very least, must have thought so anyway.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #88 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcUK View Post

Ive never witnessed that reading these boards, quite the opposite infact.

Well clearly you and Sego are experiencing different governments.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #89 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I made my point. Don't get all upset because you missed it or tried to spin it and failed miserably.

People in Britain are freezing to death because fuel prices are too high and are depending on government to save them. Your energy minister has admitted the government program that is supposed to deal with fuel poverty is a dismal failure.



Government is not the solution to your problem. It IS the problem.

How do you think fuel prices got so high in the first place? Could it, perhaps, have something to do with the fact that your government has intentionally driven fuel prices higher to "save the planet" from the "threat" of global warming? And if not intentionally, then indirectly by imposing insane regulations and restrictions on energy production.

I bet more than a few people in Britain would really appreciate some global warming right about now.

But I guess it's okay. They won't have to pay NHS (which is broke and running a deficit) to treat their frostbite and hypothermia.

Firstly (and this bears repeating because you're being kind of obtuse) the link between high fuel prices and the cost of the NHS is something that exists in your brain.

Since there is no link, you ought to stop repeating that point, and make a real point. One that is relevant.

Secondly, you seem to think that the British economy is some sort of socialist nightmare when, in fact, it's far less regulated than many other European countries. Fuel prices are less regulated here than they are in Germany, France, Norway, Denmark and Sweden, most of which are about 10-20 degrees C colder than Britain in the winter. And there is no freezing crisis there.

So what are you talking about. Regulation saves lives. So does double glazing. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you.
post #90 of 143
I'm making a link, alright. Just not the one you say I am. Pay very close attention to the following 2 sentences:

1) The British government runs NHS. It is broke, running a deficit, and unsustainable long-term unless changes are made.

2) The British government runs a program that is supposed to deal with fuel poverty. It is a dismal failure, and people are dying as a result.

Both of the above sentences have a word in common that starts with a "G".

Are you seeing the link yet?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #91 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm making a link, alright. Just not the one you say I am. Pay very close attention to the following 2 sentences:

1) The British government runs NHS. It is broke, running a deficit, and unsustainable long-term unless changes are made.

2) The British government runs a program that is supposed to deal with fuel poverty. It is a dismal failure, and people are dying as a result.

Both of the above sentences have a word in common that starts with a "G".

Are you seeing the link yet?

I will use capital letters, foul language and full stops in the hope you will understand me this time.

THERE. IS. NO. LINK. BETWEEN. THE. NHS. AND. ANYONE'S. INABILITY. TO. PAY. THEIR. FUCKING. FUEL. BILLS.

I will now repeat a point in my previous post, which you ignored, using more capitals, by way of further explanation.

BRITISH FUEL PRICES ARE LESS REGULATED BY THE GOVERNMENT THAN THOSE IN GERMANY, SWEDEN, DENMARK, FRANCE AND NORWAY. THOSE COUNTRIES HAVE REGULATED FUEL PRICES AND FUEL IS LESS EXPENSIVE. SO GOVERNMENT SAVES LIVES. WHICH MEANS THERE MUST BE ANOTHER EXPLANATION. LIKE, SAY, CORPORATE GREED AND DOUBLE GLAZING. FOR EXAMPLE.
post #92 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Can't see a problem with it...tellingly you left out the bit about who was REALLY responsible for the deaths: the Capitalist System.

Still...seems Hands Sandon was merely stating the facts so there's no real chance of any Conservative doing that it seems.....

Like I said:

I expect a full attempt to actually understand what he said followed by either agreement with the actual point he was trying to make or nothing.

Thank you for coming through on this Sego... Right on Cue in fact.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #93 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I'm making a link, alright. Just not the one you say I am. Pay very close attention to the following 2 sentences:

1) The British government runs NHS. It is broke, running a deficit, and unsustainable long-term unless changes are made.

2) The British government runs a program that is supposed to deal with fuel poverty. It is a dismal failure, and people are dying as a result.

Both of the above sentences have a word in common that starts with a "G".

Are you seeing the link yet?

You can't see what's not there... you are hallucinating.

The facts are these:

1) Since the onset of the freezing conditions UK Energy Suppliers have hiked prices by 38%

2) The Government has no real power to stop them - the real question should be 'what sort of sick bastards would do that?'

3) The cold weather payments for the poor are fixed. The reason people are dying is not because of the level of this payment - it is because of the greedy bastards mentioned above ensuring the end-user cannot use heating.

4) The Government does not in fact run the NHS. It is run by a collection of more or less independent Health Authorities.

The Welsh and Scottish authorities for example may have policies on free prescriptions which the English do not. There are many examples of this and treatment differs widely by region for this reason.

5) Perhaps you should take some time out and consider whether you need to do eithe rmore research or less posting.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #94 of 143
Thanks for making excuses for your government's failure, cego.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #95 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

1) Since the onset of the freezing conditions UK Energy Suppliers have hiked prices by 38%

Is it possible that the cold weather has increased demand for energy for heating in the face of a relatively static supply and this is why prices have increased?


Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

2) The Government has no real power to stop them - the real question should be 'what sort of sick bastards would do that?'

Is it possible that governments cannot suspend the laws of supply and demand and when they try the side-effects are often worse than when they don't?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #96 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Thanks for making excuses for your government's failure, cego.

Actually it is not strictly accurate to call them 'my' Government for the following reasons:

1) I despise them as I despise all Right-wing abominations

2) As they are Right-wing it seems unlikely I would excuse them

3) I did not vote for them and have never voted for anyone

4) I do not live in the UK.

My allegiance is purer in nature and to a nobler and impartial cause: facts.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #97 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Actually it is not strictly accurate to call them 'my' Government for the following reasons:

1) I despise them as I despise all Right-wing abominations

2) As they are Right-wing it seems unlikely I would excuse them

3) I did not vote for them and have never voted for anyone

4) I do not live in the UK.

My allegiance is purer in nature and to a nobler and impartial cause: facts.

My apologies, I thought you were a citizen of the UK.

Tell me, do you think the government of the UK is left or right of the US government?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #98 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

My apologies, I thought you were a citizen of the UK.

Tell me, do you think the government of the UK is left or right of the US government?

It depends.

I think the US Political Spectrum spans from what in the UK would be Centre-Right to Extreme-Right.

Imo Obama is in reality to the Right of the current UK Conservatives who are in turn, possibly (time will tell) potentially extreme-right. Maybe even VERY extreme-Right.

The confusion is that the current UK Government is a coalition with the Liberal Party - if this were not the case and they had sole control they would probably be very extreme and then possibly on a par with the current US admin.

Actually though I don't think you can really compare the two systems. They are entirely different....what I do think though is that Governments in general are merely a reflection of the people of the time - in a way they do not have any real essence but adopt what will get them in power and maintain it -within the framework of their stated code.

Maybe the question should not be about the US/UK Governments but about the people....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #99 of 143

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #100 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

You can't see what's not there... you are hallucinating.

The facts are these:

1) Since the onset of the freezing conditions UK Energy Suppliers have hiked prices by 38%

Actually energy prices are up in the United States as well. However this commodity and the prices of ALL commodities are up. The reason isn't because of greed but because of governments debasing their currency. All Western governments are debt ridden and are trying to print away their problems. When you have a real tangible thing, like oil, copper, iron, etc. and people want to give you money for it and then print up a whole bunch more money to devalue the money you currently hold, you are going to charge more. The commodity boom isn't just in the U.K. and it isn't based off any greed except for government greed.

Quote:
2) The Government has no real power to stop them - the real question should be 'what sort of sick bastards would do that?'

Governments and their central banks have the ability to stop taking on unsustainable debt loads and to stop debasing their currencies. The only reason they cannot stop is because it's easier to keep control with fake promises made with fake money or other people's money.

Quote:
3) The cold weather payments for the poor are fixed. The reason people are dying is not because of the level of this payment - it is because of the greedy bastards mentioned above ensuring the end-user cannot use heating.

There's no reason they need be fixed. It certainly isn't hard to conjure a formula that measures inflation and adjusts for it nor is it impossible for them to provide temporary payment increases or additional assistance. They can't though because they are trying to hide the fact that they are broke and I don't just mean the U.K. bust almost all Western governments are broke. You can't craft a formula that accounts for inflation when it is the tool you are using to secretly impose a tax increase and rid yourself of your debts via money printing though.

Quote:
4) The Government does not in fact run the NHS. It is run by a collection of more or less independent Health Authorities.

The Welsh and Scottish authorities for example may have policies on free prescriptions which the English do not. There are many examples of this and treatment differs widely by region for this reason.

5) Perhaps you should take some time out and consider whether you need to do eithe rmore research or less posting.

It is understood but please explain why you consider regional authorities to somehow not be government when it is merely a lower level of government. The analogy for the US would be like declaring health care isn't government run because it is administered by the state of California instead of the federal government.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #101 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The reason isn't because of greed but because of governments debasing their currency. All Western governments are debt ridden and are trying to print away their problems. When you have a real tangible thing, like oil, copper, iron, etc. and people want to give you money for it and then print up a whole bunch more money to devalue the money you currently hold, you are going to charge more. The commodity boom isn't just in the U.K. and it isn't based off any greed except for government greed.

Thanks for pointing this out. I missed this in my post about mere supply and demand. I believe you are more correct than I am on this. What we're starting to see here is across the board price increases which is more generally indicative of inflation than normal supply and demand factors*.


*Of course inflation is also a supply and demand issue but in way slightly different and less intuitive than most people understand and are used to.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #102 of 143
ENERGY BILLS ‘WILL HIT £2,500 A YEAR’

Quote:
HOUSEHOLD energy bills could double to £2,500 a year in an “unstoppable” rise driven by the £200 billion fight against climate change, a market expert warned yesterday.

Mark Todd, of energyhelpline.com, said rocketing prices will send costs for hard-pressed families and the elderly into the “stratosphere”.

He said consumers will have to pick up the tab for new windfarms, nuclear power plants and the networks needed to support them.

Mr Todd’s worst-case scenario forecast means bills could rise from the current £1,215 average for gas and electricity – so-called dual fuel bills – to £2,472 a year within 10 years. He spoke out as five of the biggest energy firms in Britain told MPs that energy bills will rise by up to 25 per cent over the next decade.

That would slap another £303 on the average gas and electricity bill.

Yet campaigners Consumer Focus said that over the past seven years alone domestic dual fuel bills have soared 124 per cent – from an average £543 a year. Mr Todd said: “Both the cold spell and rebound in the economy are contributing factors to wholesale gas prices rising by 56 per cent in the past three months. It’s therefore no surprise that five of the big six energy companies have warned MPs that domestic bills will continue to rise.

“There seems to be an almost unstoppable upward trend with prices creeping up remorselessly. When price drops come they tend to be small, when price rises come they tend to be big.”

The Government is shortly expected to announce a consultation on reforming the energy market.
And on Monday the Climate Change Committee quango laid out a blueprint for cutting carbon emissions which it admitted would require investment of about £150 billion in energy infrastructure up to 2030.
Mr Todd said: “The year’s price rises are only the tip of the iceberg.

“An unpalatable cocktail of green taxes, power station investment, a crumbling grid and dwindling gas supplies is set to send prices into the stratosphere.

“Energy bills are many homes’ biggest expense. UK consumers must shop around for a better deal.”
Head of energy at Consumer Focus, Audrey Gallacher, said: “It is up to the energy industry to show that any price rises are fair. It must be easy for customers to find the best tariff, switch easily and be confident they are paying a fair price.”

Energy UK, which speaks for the major suppliers, last night urged the public to make homes more energy efficient.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #103 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

My apologies, I thought you were a citizen of the UK.

Tell me, do you think the government of the UK is left or right of the US government?

This is an excellent question.

I think a direct comparison is really impossible for many reasons, although I'm pretty sure the following is true:

The Conservatives are to the right of the Democrats.

The Republicans are to the right of the Conservatives.

The Democrats are to the right of the 'old' Labour party, to the left of the 'new' Labour Party and no one knows what the new-new Labour party stands for, since Ed Milliband's only been leader for about six weeks.

The Liberal Democrat party are what the Conservative party used to be in terms of the state and what the Labour Party used to be in terms of civil liberties, but apparently they just do what the Tories tell them.

Barack Obama, being a total pussy, is all over the place.

He ran on a centrist European-style social democratic manifesto, although to the right of Germany, France or the Scandinavian countries, where your 'Marxist' seems to be our 'conservative' (because in Europe we have real Marxists running for government, as Marxists, and we humour them by never voting for them, while in America no one knows what Marxist actually means.)

But now… fuck knows.

Obama is the Republicans’ bitch.

Looking from over here I’d say… your government, with your new Congress, is vaguely equivalent to ours in policy-making, although there’s no one in government here as batshit as Michelle Bachman and no one in Parliament would ever admit to being a creationist.
post #104 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Actually it is not strictly accurate to call them 'my' Government for the following reasons:

1) I despise them as I despise all Right-wing abominations

2) As they are Right-wing it seems unlikely I would excuse them

3) I did not vote for them and have never voted for anyone

4) I do not live in the UK.

My allegiance is purer in nature and to a nobler and impartial cause: facts.

I like you more and more.

SEGOVIUS FOR MAYOR
post #105 of 143
I love it when lefties here start blaming the evil capitalists for the obvious failures of government bureaucrats.

Does anyone here think that these capitalists can just walk down the street, buy a plot of land and open a coal, gas or nuclear power plant?

Modern energy policy is the domain of governments. Period. In the last five years, most of those government have been foolishly tilting at windmills (literally), indulging in the dream that solar and wind will suddenly become 500% as efficient as they are today, and remove the need for larger output facilities.

And now people are freezing to death. Big surprise.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #106 of 143
One in Three Britons Would Like to Leave the UK

Why would anyone want to leave a country with "free" healthcare?!

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #107 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

One in Three Britons Would Like to Leave the UK

Why would anyone want to leave a country with "free" healthcare?!

When you look at the ages of people wanting to migrate it's pretty obvious that the closer they get to needing healthcare the more likely it is that they wouldn't migrate. Tellingly also the UK has the lowest migration rates, just two percent who will soon migrate. You have to remember too that Europe's now a nice hot sunny climate with all the legal rights of citizenry which it wasn't before. The US and Canada are bound to attract some people too, but that's not as easy to do as Europe is.

Not a day passes when I don't feel hugely relieved and inspired to be back in the UK, though I do miss some things about the US and will return, it doesn't have the magic of this place, at least not for me.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #108 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

When you look at the ages of people wanting to migrate it's pretty obvious that the closer they get to needing healthcare the more likely it is that they wouldn't migrate. Tellingly also the UK has the lowest migration rates, just two percent who will soon migrate. You have to remember too that Europe's now a nice hot sunny climate with all the legal rights of citizenry which it wasn't before. The US and Canada are bound to attract some people too, but that's not as easy to do as Europe is.

Not a day passes when I don't feel hugely relieved and inspired to be back in the UK, though I do miss some things about the US and will return, it doesn't have the magic of this place, at least not for me.

Anything new will seem, well.... New. For a while anyhow. Perhaps even years. After a while though, everything loses its shine. It takes an effort to keep the newness. I hope you don't ever lose it, but if you do, remember, the newness will always wear off if you don't work to keep it.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #109 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

One in Three Britons Would Like to Leave the UK

Why would anyone want to leave a country with "free" healthcare?!

That's pretty funny. I have a friend from Romania. I asked him once if he would go back someday. "NO!", he said. Me, "Why not?" Him, "It's Romania!"

I guess the brits feel the same way.
post #110 of 143
Spain does the Unthinkable

Quote:
In another sign of the desperation European finance ministers are dealing with headed into 2011, Spain has taken a step that many solar industry watchers thought was unthinkable: retroactively lowering feed-in tariff rates. ............From one perspective, the fact that Spain has taken a step that many solar industry executives thought impossible to even contemplate makes it hard to downplay. After all, solar project economics are founded on the idea that the FIT rates will be in place like a long-term bond, and investment rates of return on the solar projects are predicated on attractive returns being generated by the feed-in tariffs. The project finance desks across Europe that finance projects have said that if Spain went ahead with its plans to retroactively reduce solar FITs, it wouldn't be possible to finance solar projects anymore, because no one would trust any government to not follow Spain's lead.

In effect, the Spanish move would put the "fear of god" in anyone even contemplating project economics in solar and trying to attract investors with the assurance of FIT rates.

He who makes the rules can break the rules.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #111 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

One in Three Britons Would Like to Leave the UK

Why would anyone want to leave a country with "free" healthcare?!

It's the weather, plain and simple. And the landscape. And the boringnesssss. And the fact that anywhere else is usually more interesting and less gloomy.
post #112 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's the weather, plain and simple. And the landscape. And the boringnesssss. And the fact that anywhere else is usually more interesting and less gloomy.

And Right-wing Extremist racists oppressing everyone - and that's just the Government.

There's the EDL and the BNP too....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #113 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

And Right-wing Extremist racists oppressing everyone - and that's just the Government.

There's the EDL and the BNP too....

We run into this curious reasoning in California too. It seems both the U.K. and California are full of racists who are oppressing all the people of color there and of course those people have their own distinct cultural background that they do not desire to give up either.

Yet they would never leave the country, culture and people that create, perpetuate, apparently want to eradicate them per your reasoning. They would never likewise desire to go back to their country of origin despite it being supposedly superior, free of racism toward them and being a pure cultural match.

I always find that curious.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #114 of 143
Yahoo News

Quote:
France will deploy extra police and keep vandalism statistics under wraps on New Year's Eve to fight what authorities say has become an annual "sweepstakes" of disaffected youths competing to see who can burn the most cars.

Youths in depressed suburbs of French cities have been torching hundreds of vehicles on New Year's Eve and Bastille Day since the early 1990s. Police say the annual rite has turned competitive, with youths tracking the news in the first days of the new year to see which neighborhood did the most damage.

Those crazy kids! Traditions are important though and they sure understand that in France. I keep forgetting though, are they burning the cars because of lack of universal health care or because of it? What's the talking point again this week?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #115 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Those crazy kids! Traditions are important though and they sure understand that in France. I keep forgetting though, are they burning the cars because of lack of universal health care or because of it? What's the talking point again this week?

I'll try to clear it up

Trouble in Europe: people protesting against the jackboot of authoritarianism and casting off the yoke of oppression.

There is however, one exception....yep...you guessed!! Our Gallic cousins - they are a hoot!

Trouble in France: people protesting FOR the jackboot of authoritarianism and begging FOR the yoke of oppression...... oh an complaining that they might have to do a year's extra work before wasting their twilight years sinking into that good night in a haze of xenophobia, national pride (for what?) and cheap Margaux from Monoprix.

There is another exception though - and I think this is the thing to which you refer - the 'not quite French' citizens and Muzzlims from 'dodgy uncivilized countries' who have been ethnically-cleansed and banished to gulags beyond the Périphérique where nice stolid citizens can't see them.

Look at it like this: it's kind of a Holiday Bonus for the Gendarmerie Nationale - the immigrants get to complain about oppression once a year and the kind and gentle Gendarmes get a free pass to kick their heads in.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #116 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I'll try to clear it up

Trouble in Europe: people protesting against the jackboot of authoritarianism and casting off the yoke of oppression.

There is however, one exception....yep...you guessed!! Our Gallic cousins - they are a hoot!

Trouble in France: people protesting FOR the jackboot of authoritarianism and begging FOR the yoke of oppression...... oh an complaining that they might have to do a year's extra work before wasting their twilight years sinking into that good night in a haze of xenophobia, national pride (for what?) and cheap Margaux from Monoprix.

There is another exception though - and I think this is the thing to which you refer - the 'not quite French' citizens and Muzzlims from 'dodgy uncivilized countries' who have been ethnically-cleansed and banished to gulags beyond the Périphérique where nice stolid citizens can't see them.

Look at it like this: it's kind of a Holiday Bonus for the Gendarmerie Nationale - the immigrants get to complain about oppression once a year and the kind and gentle Gendarmes get a free pass to kick their heads in.

Train up a child in the way they should go...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #117 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Train up a child in the way they should go...

I think 'spare the rod....' is probably more in line with the French psyche. Such as it is.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #118 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

I think 'spare the rod....' is probably more in line with the French psyche. Such as it is.

Well, given how they are acting, spare the rod may be where the kids are at.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #119 of 143
Just saw this in a news feed. Anyone have more details about this 'seizing' of private pension money?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #120 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Just saw this in a news feed. Anyone have more details about this 'seizing' of private pension money?

This has happened in the US with the Social Security Trust Fund.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Strictly European.