or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmed

Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmed

post #1 of 73
Microsoft has sent out invitations to a Worldwide Launch Event for Windows Phone 7 on October 11 in New York City. The launch will feature an exclusive lineup of T-Mobile devices.

The event will take place at the NYC Microsoft Technology Center from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Eastern. Attendees will receive an "insider's look" at Windows Phone 7, as well as a hands on "exclusive showing of T-Mobile powered Windows Phone 7 devices."

An invitation was posted to Microsoft's Event site and noticed by Engadget.

Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's launch carrier. Invitations for a separate Windows Phone 7 launch event for AT&T have been sent out, according to Wired.

Microsoft realizes that the stakes for Windows Phone 7 are high. Documents filed with the SEC revealed that the "loss of market share in the company's mobile phone business" had affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.

The Redmond, Wash., company plans to make a big push to counter gains in the mobile market made by the iPhone and Android. Analysts expect Microsoft to spend as much as $500 million to market the launch of Windows Phone 7.
post #2 of 73
Ladies & gentlemen, start your engines, oh wait, Ballmer is 3 years late to this race.
post #3 of 73
Well while they might not be prompt in the launch time, I wish them the best of luck. competition only makes the likes of Android and iOS stronger
"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

~Ireland

Such a true sig
"In March we told you 2011 would be the year of iPad 2, and it is, but we're starting 2012 early." - September 2011

~Ireland

Such a true sig
post #4 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.

He needs to be fired, tbh.

That, or shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.
post #5 of 73
This is when you make a big event out of your mobile OS: after the buzz about the biggest deal in mobile OSes and their accompanying phone has been released a few months right before the holiday shopping season. Kudos to MS for getting this right.

So far, everything I’ve seen from WP7 looks promising. Not for my needs, but I think they could have a good corporate device which means it will likely be competing with Blackberry before the iPhone. Also, since it’s a licensed OS that any HW vendor can use it could take some focus from Android for some vendors.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is when you make a big event out of your mobile OS: after the buzz about the biggest deal in mobile OSes and their accompanying phone has been released a few months right before the holiday shopping season. Kudos to MS for getting this right.

So far, everything Ive seen from WP7 looks promising. Not for my needs, but I think they could have a good corporate device which means it will likely be competing with Blackberry before the iPhone. Also, since its a licensed OS that any HW vendor can use it could take some focus from Android for some vendors.

I don't know about that man. W7 UI is more consumer and social. It doesn't look corporate at all to me.
post #7 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I don't know about that man. W7 UI is more consumer and social. It doesn't look corporate at all to me.

Dunno, their UI looks pretty horrid to me.
post #8 of 73
Quote:

I can see that, but Ive talked with several people who work in tech related areas in large enterprises and the WP7 offers things that Android, BB OS and iOS doesnt. Namely, the Windows development platform. iOS is popular, easy and cheap but many of these companies have developers that know MS products, have consultants that do, and therefore can (or at least think) WP7 can offer them some cost savings.

Add in the fact they can do what they do with PCs and let HW vendors fight over contracts because they all run the same OS. With iOS and BB OS you have to use the RiM or Apple device. This isnt nearly the issue it is with PCs, but there is still enough reason for corporations to consider this angle. Android is surprising popular in the enterprise according to a recent article I read yet every company Im associated with wont support it due to its inherently security issues.
post #9 of 73
...and thus begins, the final battle for Ballmer's ass!
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
I've accomplished my childhood's dream: My job consists mainly of playing with toys all day long.
post #10 of 73
I thought this site was called AppleInsider.
post #11 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Dunno, their UI looks pretty horrid to me.

Horrid, maybe, but it aggregates social stuff and puts it front and center, as I understand it. That definitely seems consumer-facing rather than corporate-facing. Not that I've spent any time looking at the UI. I'm like you. I looked at it, began to taste vomit, and moved on. But I'll hand them this: they're not just shamelessly copying the iOS UI like Android does. At least not in the home screen. (And in case anyone rebukes me about Android having been around before iPhone: yes, I've seen it. But before the iPhone, Android was ripping off Blackberry. After iPhone, they changed to rip off the iPhone. In my book, that's not how you get to Valhalla).
post #12 of 73
So what will more people care about? MS releasing yet another mobile platform to fail, or World of Warcraft launching version 4.0.1?
post #13 of 73
Steve Ballmer is a tool
post #14 of 73
As much as I love all my Apple-branded gadgets, I actually feel sorry for Microsoft of late due to the constant beating they are taking in the press and investment circles. I think some of the criticism is unwarranted and sometimes totally unfair.

I for one am glad that MS is rebooting their mobile ambitions. After the last major WinMo release plus the disaster that was Kin, they could have given up or just stuck with the status quo like Nokia and RIM. Instead, WinMo 7 is really a big shakeup for them as it represents a whole new way of thinking at MS, one that is, dare I say it, more Apple-like in its focus on maximizing the core experiences.

And from another perspective, if MS can meet with even a small degree of success, the competition will simply force everyone, Apple included, to work even harder to improve their offerings. I remember one columnist pointed out with iPhone 4 and iOS 4 that the onslaught of Android devices has energized Apple and really pushed them to do even more.

So part sympathy, part empathy, and part excitement, I wish MS well.
post #15 of 73
Prepare to be awed by the Mediocrity that is Windows anything. I'm sitting here racking my brain.... has MS ever done a single original anything?????

$500 Million in marketing.... hmm.... $50 Million in product development and $500 Million in Lame ass advertising... sounds like this will at least be as much of a hit as the Squirting Zune.....LOL
post #16 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Steve Ballmer is a tool

I think you're right. But let's be more specific. I think Ballmer is like :
-A nut with no edges,
-A hammer made of jello
-A thread-less screw
-A rubber nail
-A wood saw made out of wood
-A refrigerator with no door
-A boat that only floats on dirt
-An airplane with no wings

hmmmmmm.....or maybe even a

-Window made of bricks.....

C'mon.... Join in the fun and come up with the tool you think best represents Ballmer
post #17 of 73
Yet more competition for Apple, this time from one of their older rivals. The mobile phone space looks to be a lot more competitive than the home computer space. I wonder if Apple will be as enthusiastic about operating there in a couple of years.
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Prepare to be awed by the Mediocrity that is Windows anything. I'm sitting here racking my brain.... has MS ever done a single original anything?????

What they did was enter a home computer market in the 80s that had many different manufacturers doing their own thing, and made a standard platform. Standardization was a big value add at that point. But these days the web is kind of the standard/lowest common denominator platform, with all the basic stuff such as email and calendar. What is needed now is innovation.
post #19 of 73
I think Apple should be afraid on Windows Phone, more so than Android. The way I see it, it's taking the best from both camps - wide choice of handsets including those nice large screen ones from HTC, a less strict app store approval policy, and it has a nice desktop client (far superior to the mess that is iTunes), a nice UI, and the backing of a proper full on software developer. Add in Xbox Live support and it looks like the start of a solid platform.

It's missing stuff at launch obviously, but I imagine those gaps will be filled before long.

That said, until it has a) Audible support, b) a good selection of apps, and c) plenty of games I won't be switching from my iPhone 4.
post #20 of 73
They may be late to the race, but let's see what the next "catch up" major updates will be over the next few months or years.
post #21 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's exclusive launch carrier...

Oooops! Someone forgot to tell them "Blue Horseshoe loves T-Mobile"..!
post #22 of 73
Quote:

So far, everything Ive seen from WP7 looks promising. Not for my needs, but I think they could have a good corporate device which means it will likely be competing with Blackberry before the iPhone. Also, since its a licensed OS that any HW vendor can use it could take some focus from Android for some vendors.

As for me, if there was a ship next to the Titanic, that's where I'll be setting up my deckchair.
post #23 of 73
A spatula made of ice.

Quote:

C'mon.... Join in the fun and come up with the tool you think best represents Ballmer
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #24 of 73
Quote:

...Android is surprising popular in the enterprise according to a recent article I read yet every company I’m associated with won’t support it due to its inherently security issues.

Funny, according to recent trolls Android is the only mobile phone (yes, phone, no distinction about it "just" being an OS) that is of any importance right now.

Quote:

I think you're right. But let's be more specific. I think Ballmer is like :
-A nut with no edges,
-A hammer made of jello
-A thread-less screw
-A rubber nail
-A wood saw made out of wood <---- THIS = WIN
-A refrigerator with no door
-A boat that only floats on dirt
-An airplane with no wings
-Window made of bricks.....

Brilliant. I think... He's like a sandwich without any bread, paint without a can.
post #25 of 73
woot... wrong thread .
post #26 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Oooops! Someone forgot to tell them "Blue Horseshoe loves T-Mobile"..!

Great Wall Street (original) reference....
Do you think Mr Ballmer sees himself as a modern day Gordon Gecko?
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
post #27 of 73
Heh. These aren't the droids, er, thread you're looking for. You wanna go here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=113556

Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I don't blame Adidas. In the end I guess there's just too many involved to have a say.
Something like:

1. Adidas marketing
2. Commercial agency
3. Software developers
.. and then
4. Apple "publisher", acting like they are 1. marketing.

The moment Apple says "Change this, Change that. Wouldn't it be better to do it this way? Optimize this." it's gonna cost a lot of money down the whole line, with meetings and more work for everybody involved.

But I don't blame Apple either.. I'm sure they just wanna have real high profile customers with top of the line iAds to start with.

I guess nothing would stop competitors to develop cool html5 ads though. So I really don't see what's so special with iAds, technically.. really. Isn't it just an embedded html5 thing?
post #28 of 73
It looks good. The first truly different smart phone OS since the iPhone and the first genuinely fresh product from Microsoft in years.

I hope the whole platform doesn't crash and burn because I'm interested to see where they take it.
post #29 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

Great Wall Street (original) reference....
Do you think Mr Ballmer sees himself as a modern day Gordon Gecko?

Heh. I couldn't resist it, I finally watched Wall Street (original) a few weeks ago before a friend insisted I go watch the new Wall Street movie (which kinda sucked, the original is great).

And no, Ballmer's just an idiot. He probably thinks margin lending is a new feature to be added to Microsoft Word.
post #30 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolaaron88 View Post

Well while they might not be prompt in the launch time, I wish them the best of luck. competition only makes the likes of Android and iOS stronger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

And from another perspective, if MS can meet with even a small degree of success, the competition will simply force everyone, Apple included, to work even harder to improve their offerings. I remember one columnist pointed out with iPhone 4 and iOS 4 that the onslaught of Android devices has energized Apple and really pushed them to do even more.

Ok guys this is getting beyond a joke.

There is competition and there is innovation.

I think that many people who reply with the above comments don't know the difference.
Competition is when you make a product that is the same as everyone else's and hope that yours stands out from the crowd enough.
Innovation is when you create the same product and then everyone copies your ideas.

If these other companies really want to move the industry forward they need to innovate, not just copy but bump the specs (eg you have a 5MP camera.... we have an 8MP one etc).

If this wasn't the case then why do all the smart phones post iPhone launch look like mutant clones of the iPhone?

Quote:

YES.... They learnt to use the photo copier before all other companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Funny, according to recent trolls Android is the only mobile phone (yes, phone, no distinction about it "just" being an OS) that is of any importance right now.

Yeah its getting annoying that people can say things like the iPhone has sold only 3 million and the Android has sold 23 million, instead of apple phone has sold x million and samsungs android phones have sold x million.

Its the same as how they compare iOS devices to android and conveniently forget the touch or iPad in their figures.
post #31 of 73
Hope this eats into Android's share or at least slows it down! I'm sick of that thing!

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #32 of 73
Zzzzz ........
post #33 of 73
Let the suckage begin!!!
post #34 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

If Balmer is fired, you know who will get the credit?
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
post #35 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Hope this eats into Android's share or at least slows it down! I'm sick of that thing!

I seriously dont think WP7 can give any competition to android. Morover, it will only makes Google's case seem more logical making Android a competing OS comparable to WP7 & FREE
post #36 of 73
Seriously, can anyone recommend a web site where I can read news and rumors about Apple products? I'd really like to find such a site.
post #37 of 73
I can not wait to watch Windows 7 Phone fail. It is going to be great. Let's take a look at what Microsoft put together...

1) The UI of the _failed_ ipod clone Zune
2) The OS of the _failed_ Windows Mobile, Windows CE
3) The _failed_ licensing model of Windows Mobile
4) The _failed_ music store of Zune
5) The _failed_ proprietary, patent encumbered Silverlight platform

Mixed all that together, then tied it to the proprietary, super expensive, Microsoft Windows platform. Yeah, a whole lot of fail mixed all into one.
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Yeah, couldn't agree more!!! Microsoft only had $16.04 billion in revenue last quarter and $4.52 billion in profit. They're TOAST!!!!!!

Nice to see you repeating the Michael Dell quote. It'll let other fanboys know you're one of them. Do you use an "elegant" Mac too??? Is everyone else's computer "clunky" and "crappy"???? I bet you "skate to where the puck is going to be", don't you????

Trust Me, Microsoft isn't going anywhere despite your childish little rant.
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #39 of 73
Quote:

I think they have tried to put a consumer angle in WP7 with the social and Live integration, but I still think that it's business focused.

The social side seems to be based around the way busy young to middle aged business-types use social networking, in that you see snapshots of information from multiple networks pulled into your everyday use of the phone rather that giving you a dedicated application to trawl through your friends profiles for hours on end.

Add to that the Office hub, business friendly email client and integration with Microsoft development tools and you have yourself a Blackberry competitor.

Not to say WP7 couldn't be a consumer device. It really depends on what kind of consumer you are!

Personally I think Microsoft should focus on the enterprise market as that is where their strengths lie.

You would have to pry the iPhone from the cold dead hands of teenage girls and well-to-do soccer mums around the world. That market is lost to Microsoft before WP7 has even been released.
post #40 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I thought this site was called AppleInsider.

Anything that affects Apple is news here IMHO. As a share holder and simply as a tech junky I certainly appreciate all such related news / rumors.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmed