or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft may use Windows Phone 7 event to show off tablets

Microsoft may use Windows Phone 7 event to show off tablets

post #1 of 74
A new rumor suggests that Microsoft, concerned by the success of Apple's iPad, will use next week's Windows Phone 7 unveiling to show off new touchscreen tablets it will have available this holiday season.

The Redmond, Wash., software giant is set to hold a launch event on Oct. 11 for new devices powered by Windows Phone 7. And while it was presumed that the event would focus on phones, Neowin.net claims that the event in New York City may also be used to introduce new 'slate PCs' that will hit the market this year.

"Microsoft has been working closely with several un-named OEMs to produce a genuine answer to the iPad," the report said. "The software giant is concerned that iPad sales are slowly cannibalizing Windows sales and eating away at the recent boom in netbook sales."

Next week's rumored showcase of Windows tablets coincides with what Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said at an event in the U.K. on Tuesday. Speaking to students, staff and journalists at the London School of Economics, Ballmer said consumers can expect to see new, Windows-powered slates this Christmas, according to Reuters.

The report noted that Ballmer declined to say whether the devices would be on sale before Christmas, or who will make the hardware.

Early this year, before Apple even announced the iPad, Microsoft partnered with HP to show off a touchscreen tablet dubbed a "slate PC." The Windows 7-powered product has still not launched, and HP's purchase of Palm and is webOS mobile operating system even led to rumors that the product was scrapped.

However, a prototype of HP's Windows 7 tablet was recently demoed on YouTube, and the responsiveness of the product was widely ridiculed.

Though tablets powered by Windows 7 have yet to see any high profile releases, Apple has found great success with its iPad, selling 3.27 million in its first three months of availability. Ballmer even conceded that Apple sold more iPads than he'd "like them to sell."

Since the launch of the iPad, some reports have even claimed that the iPad has been responsible for a significant reduction in netbook sales. Low-cost, low-power netbooks largely run a version of Microsoft's Windows operating system.
post #2 of 74
Well. I for one am not one of those people who would have bought a netbook. The ipad didn't cannibalize anything because I wouldn't have wanted a netbook. Apple created a new device that I did want. I think this is more the truth than any MSFT or anyone in the netbook market would care to admit.
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #3 of 74
Oh oh -- I've got an idea -- while they've got everyone there to hear about the new phones (And now tablets), let's also talk about the web-based Office because, you know, Google is making inroads there too.

Oh Oh -- another idea! -- let's also talk about Windows Home Media Server and the Xbox, because people might buy Apple TVs and Google TVS, and we've got to remind them that Microsoft serves that market.

Oh wait -- another idea! -- let's talk about all the great developer tools that MS is coming out with, and how silverlight is so much better than flash...

Now, let's see, we'll just need about 4 hours, we'll schedule 6 vice presidents to talk, and Balmer can just kick it off by talking about synergies and maybe pump his fist in the air a couple of times to get the crowd warmed up.

This will totally beat Apple -- Apple's so lame that they only talk about one thing at a time at their press events.
post #4 of 74
My guess is we will "see" a device running win 7 before xmas but it will not be scheduled to release until "early" next year. Then they will hope people will just forget about that when they show off a new device scheduled to be released sometime in the future.
post #5 of 74
I wonder if this video is actually a fake. It just seems too much with him saying multiple times how great and fast it is when it's clearly not doing what he wants it to. Plus, it looks *too* much like Windows. I would think if they were coming out with a new OS specific to tablets, they'd make a few more modifications to make it easier to use. Finally - a Ctrl-Alt-Del key? Seriously?

It almost seems like a joke by someone who wants to make fun of Microsoft (and possibly HP). Which would make the "I'm recording this on my iPhone" part a sly joke in itself.
post #6 of 74
Leave it to microsoft to design a tablet OS that requires the tablet to have a "control-alt-delete" button on the side.
post #7 of 74
Zune Part Duex
post #8 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new rumor suggests that Microsoft, concerned by the success of Apple's iPad, will use next week's Windows Phone 7 unveiling to show off new touchscreen tablets it will have available this holiday season. ...

This is great news if true. Rumour has it that the Windows Phone 7 is actually a snappy little device and could be popular. Tying the Windows Albatross around it's neck can only distract and detract.

I was wondering how Microsoft was going to screw it up and now we know.
post #9 of 74
"Control-alt-delete" key! This has to be a joke!
post #10 of 74
all this from a company that requires a 3.5" floppy disk that they don't install or sell on their computers if you want to restore your XP Pro system from a clone HD. Better buy screen protection, there's nothing more frustrating than having the screen freeze on you all the time. I can already visualize people hitting them with hammers in frustration.
post #11 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

It's a feature.. just like the required Bing button on every WP7
post #12 of 74
You actually have to press a button on the side of this thing to get the keyboard to appear and then press is again to make it go away?
post #13 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I wonder if this video is actually a fake. It just seems too much with him saying multiple times how great and fast it is when it's clearly not doing what he wants it to. Plus, it looks *too* much like Windows. I would think if they were coming out with a new OS specific to tablets, they'd make a few more modifications to make it easier to use. Finally - a Ctrl-Alt-Del key? Seriously?

It almost seems like a joke by someone who wants to make fun of Microsoft (and possibly HP). Which would make the "I'm recording this on my iPhone" part a sly joke in itself.

I believe this video is an attempt at stealth marketing by Microsoft. They need to cut into iPad sales as much as possible, especially now that Apple is poised to take advantage of the holiday shopping season.

Looking at the HP tablet's sluggishness, it's obvious the product isn't ready for prime time, regardless how many times the reviewer says how fast, cool, nice, and responsive it is. And the fact that he's "sorry about the video quality" of the iPhone used to record his video, while reviewing a Windows-based product, is a little too obvious.
post #14 of 74
Quote:

+1
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
post #15 of 74
There is a Win7 tablet coming out for the holiday called ExoPc but its having production problems last time I heard about it.
post #16 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Leave it to microsoft to design a tablet OS that requires the tablet to have a "control-alt-delete" button on the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

In all fairness, I think that is HP’s doing, but remember that was based on Windows 7 which wasn’t designed with touch UI as the primary I/O, but a bolt on option for developers to use.

I would hope that if MS has a tablet OS they want to show up next week that it will be Windows Phone 7 based. This is, after all, the one area that they aren’t years behind in development compared to Android and RiM.

PS: Speaking of tablets, I haven’t heard much from Notion Ink since they made a huge fuss at the beginning of the year, but it looks like they are closer than many other “me to” products saying how they are better than the iPad.

http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...-more-1297402/
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #17 of 74
Watching that video of him on IE makes me really understand why SJ is adamant about not having flash on a touch device. That add banner looked terrible. I really hope they would not unveil this UI in 2010. It looked unbelievably dated and there would be zero chance for success. The device itself looked pretty thick and basically a netbook without a keyboard.
post #18 of 74
I liked it when he tried to demo "scrolling" on the web page and it didn't scroll. He then quickly changes gears to shift over to You Tube.

Not bad video quality though. Did you notice the reflection of the camera... that's right, an iPhone.
post #19 of 74
Quote:

Finally - a Ctrl-Alt-Del key? Seriously?

This might explain everything!! I ought to have come to this conclusion myself. Something about this tablet just doesn't seem to be right. It really must be a joke.
post #20 of 74
(Disclosure: I own an iPad)

Microsoft, let's see what you got. I have an open mind, so if it's something worth buying, I'll buy it. I don't care that you have a shitty record of releasing vaporware. America is a country based on forgiveness and rebirth; I'm sure a lot of us can forget your past sins and allow you to start anew in regaining the trust of consumers by assuring us that you won't release another pile of shit, only to get it right in v34.1.

Stop throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. Come out with a serious product and I'll kick down serious clams (sorry, just watched 'Boardwalk Empire'. Duckets, scrilla, and quids are old).
post #21 of 74
Win 7 is not a tablet OS. Case closed, please come back to tech industry once you find someone other then Baldmer to run the company.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #22 of 74
Wow so Windows Phone 7 not only has to get the phone parts right, now somehow between it and Windows 7 it's supposed to do tablets as well?

Yeahh

Right
post #23 of 74
For the record you have to check out this interview with Paul Thurrott. Not only is it funny, but seriously as well, Paul Thurrott claims Windows Phone 7 will surpass RIM and Symbian to sit at NO.3 behind iOS and Android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9r9ZkqLMSs
post #24 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by alandail View Post

And BSOD Wallpaper/ScreenSaver.

IMO, it would be beyond stupid to show anything at this event but the new phone and its OS.

Why steal thunder from your own announcement?

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #25 of 74
For the record I'm an Apple developer and iOS believer, but my day job is IT.

Microsoft owns this space and say what you will, they deliver. Windows Phone 7 has a huge leg up in the business market by virtue of the well established Microsoft ecosystem there. RIM is coasting on its email monopoly of a decade ago, Android is non-existent, and Apple iOS is just beginning to break in to wide use for Liine Of Business applications.

Windows Phone 7 could very well find success there to surpass RIM and Android, and maybe even give Apple a good run for their money.

In the consumer space, not so much. But we'll see.
post #26 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

You actually have to press a button on the side of this thing to get the keyboard to appear and then press is again to make it go away?

... Not only that, but rumor has it that there also is a "KeyPress" button:

-- When you want to type a character, say an "n", you must first press the "KeyPress" button, then the "n" key.
-- A dialog appears that asks if you wanted to press the "n" key.
-- You must press the "KeyPress" enter key combo to accept
-- or the "KeyPress" delete combo to cancel

Yeah, that's it!

post #27 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For the record you have to check out this interview with Paul Thurrott. Not only is it funny, but seriously as well, Paul Thurrott claims Windows Phone 7 will surpass RIM and Symbian to sit at NO.3 behind iOS and Android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9r9ZkqLMSs

WinMo , which we never hear about these days, still has a lot more marketshare than I would expect. So if MS can make a modern mobile OS they could take some marketshare from the Enterprise, namely RiM, and marketshare from the "licensed" mobile OS market, namely Android, they could have a hit on their hands. While I can see a slight path that could make them te 3rd largest I don't see that as being at the expense of Apple.
post #28 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuessSo View Post

Microsoft owns this space and say what you will, they deliver. Windows Phone 7 has a huge leg up in the business market by virtue of the well established Microsoft ecosystem there. RIM is coasting on its email monopoly of a decade ago, Android is non-existent, and Apple iOS is just beginning to break in to wide use for Liine Of Business applications.

Windows Phone 7 could very well find success there to surpass RIM and Android, and maybe even give Apple a good run for their money.

In the consumer space, not so much. But we'll see.

I think WP7 may surprise with more success than people expect. I think their tiles UI is actually pretty slick.

MS will need to update their software to match features of iOS and Android. The big missing feature IMO is their lack of HTML 5 support. Not being able to watch you tube videos on your WP7 phone will hurt them with some users.

While MS may own the enterprise space, consumers are driving the mobile space. Apple is rapidly gaining adoption of iOS devices in enterprise because users simply want more user friendly devices and are demanding them. If not, MS would have not have abandoned their old Win Mobile OS. But they've seen the handwriting on the wall and know that they must appeal to consumers and not just IT admins. So I guess I differ with you in that if the WP7 doesn't appeal to consumers its won't find much success in the enterprise space.
post #29 of 74
FAIL.. if it's a W7 tablet. I don't see why anyone would buy a W7 tablet instead of just a netbook or laptop..

I'd rather see WP7 on a tablet. I might consider buying one.
post #30 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Keeper_Fan_Mod View Post

More competition in the profitless corner of the smartphone market.

History shows that teaching your customers to be loyal only to the lowest price is a losing strategy.

From everything I've read it looks like MS is being very particular with whom they license to and what HW is used. I have to say, so far every business decision MS is making with WP7, at least the ones I've privy to, looks brilliant.
post #31 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I think WP7 may surprise with more success than people expect. I think their tiles UI is actually pretty slick.

Though I think the new UI was a step in the right direction for them as far as consumers are concerned, I think it will be less popular in the enterprise sector. IMO, the UI seems to be more friendly from a social aspect, but less so from a business aspect.
post #32 of 74
The myth seems to be that two very specific things were left out of what Balmer said - on purpose..

1) What Christmas he was talking about - this next one or the one in 2044..

2) The tablets he will introduce will probably be either Dell's devices or HP.. IF your believe for one minute that Microshaft is going to compete with it's two biggest Whender's customers, your nuts..

Either plan says Microshaft FAILS AGAIN!!!!
post #33 of 74
Quote:

MS will need to update their software to match features of iOS and Android. The big missing feature IMO is their lack of HTML 5 support. Not being able to watch you tube videos on your WP7 phone will hurt them with some users.

While MS may own the enterprise space, consumers are driving the mobile space. Apple is rapidly gaining adoption of iOS devices in enterprise because users simply want more user friendly devices and are demanding them. If not, MS would have not have abandoned their old Win Mobile OS. But they've seen the handwriting on the wall and know that they must appeal to consumers and not just IT admins. So I guess I differ with you in that if the WP7 doesn't appeal to consumers its won't find much success in the enterprise space.

BUT WILL WINDOWS PHONE 7 HAVE FLASH? Seriously, where is Flash on smartphones, why do all the new smartphones being announced not have Flash???
post #34 of 74
Quote:

BUT WILL WINDOWS PHONE 7 HAVE FLASH? Seriously, where is Flash on smartphones, why do all the new smartphones being announced not have Flash???

You know the answer to that.
post #35 of 74
Quote:

You know the answer to that.

It's only October 2010.
post #36 of 74
Quote:

Looks like no Flash for Win7 phones.

http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/s...artphones.html
post #37 of 74
I can't make out from the article if the rumor suggests a Windows Mobile 7 tablet or a Windows Tablet. The latter is likely to be a non-starter, the former seems to be a bit premature, in that MS has been struggling just to get their phone OS to market. I don't think there's been time since the breakout success of the iPad to optimize WinMo 7 for a tablet, and prior to the iPad's breakout success there's nothing to suggest that MS even thought that was worth doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

WinMo , which we never hear about these days, still has a lot more marketshare than I would expect. So if MS can make a modern mobile OS they could take some marketshare from the Enterprise, namely RiM, and marketshare from the "licensed" mobile OS market, namely Android, they could have a hit on their hands. While I can see a slight path that could make them te 3rd largest I don't see that as being at the expense of Apple.

Doesn't breaking compatibility with prior iterations of WinMo kind of put a crimp in that, though? I realize that there are development tools across devices, but WinMo 7 is pretty new to be easily slotting into the installed ecosystem, isn't it? (Asking, don't know).
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #38 of 74
Cannot wait to install internet security software on this baby !

LMFAO what garbage, oh or get myself the latest Stuxnet Worm..... MSFT = Fail
post #39 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

From everything I've read it looks like MS is being very particular with whom they license to and what HW is used. I have to say, so far every business decision MS is making with WP7, at least the ones I've privy to, looks brilliant.

soli, they are and rightly so. I think they have a glimmer of a concept that they are potentially behind the eightball in the mobile market. Take for example the statement by Thurott that claims Windows Phone 7 will surpass RIM and Symbian to sit at NO.3 behind iOS and Android. The fact that Thurott, who is arguably as much a Redmond droid as Enderle or more so, cannot get his market standings straight, indicates the level of understanding there. iOS will not be the majority market segment at any time unless there are at least two major failures. Nokia and RIM are the leaders with Android vying to unseat Blackberry. But its the install base that needs to be sopken to not some sales volume vaporstat, which is what most reporters and pundits seem to ignore.

More to your point. Microsoft has to do this well and aggressively. They have to come out swinging, and Android is their first target. Apple is on there, well because Ballmer hates Apple. But look at the lawsuits, and the erosion caused by Android. Redmond will force licensing on all the handset makers via lawsuit, and the Android OS will no longer be "free" to the handset makers. They will work out incentivised deal for the handset makers to use WinP7 over Android, and then perhaps go after RIM. Why RIM? Well RIM has established itself in the enterprise space - which is where the Microsoft cash cattle thrive. With WinP7 phones able to direct access Exchange services, they will seek to erode RIM's BES installed base.

But yeah. They need to, they HAVE to do this right. Failure is not an option.
post #40 of 74

In order for a MS tablet to succeed, it must have an "improper" OS.

... Seriously!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft may use Windows Phone 7 event to show off tablets