or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple improves US iPhone 4 shipping times to 5-7 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple improves US iPhone 4 shipping times to 5-7 days

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Supplies of the iPhone 4, constrained since the device's June launch, have improved slightly, with the handset now advertised for shipping within 5 to 7 days from Apple's online store.

Both models of the iPhone 4 -- in 16GB and 32GB capacities for $199 and $299, respectively, with AT&T contract -- now ship within 5 to 7 business days. The 8GB, $99 iPhone 3GS ships within 1 to 2 weeks, while the white iPhone 4 remains unavailable.

The change in shipping times would imply that Apple has begun to catch up with strong consumer demand for the iPhone 4.

Shipping estimates had remained at three weeks or longer since the handset launched in June. In its first three days of availability, the phone sold a record 1.7 million.

But Apple has struggled to meet demand since launch, as supplies for overseas expansion have been constrained. Last month, the iPhone 4 launched in China, and carrier China Unicom was only able to fulfill about half of the preorders placed by customers.

In a similar fashion, Apple could not meet iPad demand for months after the touchscreen tablet launched in April. It took until late August for the Cupertino, Calif., company to improve online order shipping times to 24 hours.



The white iPhone 4 is still listed as unavailable, and Apple has not provided an update on the status of the device since July, when it said the product would not be available until "later this year." The company has said that the white model proved "more challenging to manufacture than expected."
post #2 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The white iPhone 4 is still listed as unavailable, and Apple has not provided an update on the status of the device since July, when it said the product would not be available until "later this year." The company has said that the white model proved "more challenging to manufacture than expected."

Has anyone ever seen a white iPhone4 live? Do they really exist anywhere outside a lab (or in photoshop)?
post #3 of 31
Good. Now where is that white iPhone.
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Has anyone ever seen a white iPhone4 live? Do they really exist anywhere outside a lab (or in photoshop)?

Mossberg had one- link below. It's a bit confounding that Apple was able to release a review unit in white, yet they remain unable to get the thing out to the public so many months later.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100622...phone4-review/
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Mossberg had one- link below. It's a bit confounding that Apple was able to release a review unit in white, yet they remain unable to get the thing out to the public so many months later.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100622...phone4-review/

At this point they can't produce the black ones fast enough. When sales of the black ones slow down, baddabing!, bring on the next rush...

I'm not sure this is what they are doing but they are in the very enviable position of being able to play the market as they like.

I finally got an ip4 today. Had an early appointment with a genius re my iMac and to my surprise they had a few in store. Moi, a very happy camper. My G3 had a seriously damaged back, a cracked screen and couldn't be turned off manually after I left it out in the rain!
post #6 of 31
They hadn't decreased ship times as of last week. I ordered an iPhone on September 23rd. The ship date was set to October 23rd. I waited until September 29 and it hadn't budged, so I canceled and went to the local Apple Store, who had them sitting in stock. They make online customers who have been waiting for a week continue to wait while in-person customers can get one in 5 minutes. Fail.
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Supplies of the iPhone 4, constrained since the device's June launch, have improved slightly, with the handset now advertised for shipping within 5 to 7 days from Apple's online store.

Both models of the iPhone 4 -- in 16GB and 32GB capacities for $199 and $299, respectively, with AT&T contract -- now ship within 5 to 7 business days. The 8GB, $99 iPhone 3GS ships within 1 to 2 weeks, while the white iPhone 4 remains unavailable.

The change in shipping times would imply that Apple has begun to catch up with strong consumer demand for the iPhone 4.

Some naysayer will still post here like someone did on the iPad thread, and say, "Well, this means demand for iPhone 4 is dying down..."
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

At this point they can't produce the black ones fast enough. When sales of the black ones slow down, baddabing!, bring on the next rush...

I'm not sure this is what they are doing but they are in the very enviable position of being able to play the market as they like.

I finally got an ip4 today. Had an early appointment with a genius re my iMac and to my surprise they had a few in store. Moi, a very happy camper. My G3 had a seriously damaged back, a cracked screen and couldn't be turned off manually after I left it out in the rain!

It does appear suspect. I just can't understand how color alone would pose such a major problem as to halt production.. but who knows. I would imagine some sort of an explanation will surface as the phone does in the next month/s.

I don't know how common the problem is, but I have two friends who have cracked backs on their 4's recently. They didn't have cases, but each said the cracks occurred as a result of a small drop-like a foot.. Anecdotal as it may be, it's something to be aware of.
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Has anyone ever seen a white iPhone4 live? Do they really exist anywhere outside a lab (or in photoshop)?

I think Apple will kill it off by the end of the month if it doesn't look like they can ramp up production alongside the black.

Can't imagine what the crazyness is about, maybe if I saw and held one I might "get" it...

Had a white iPhone 3G and most recently white iPhone 3GS. But iPhone 4 is a whole different ballgame, I guess.
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

It does appear suspect. I just can't understand how color alone would pose such a major problem as to halt production.. but who knows. I would imagine some sort of an explanation will surface as the phone does in the next month/s.

I don't know how common the problem is, but I have two friends who have cracked backs on their 4's recently. They didn't have cases, but each said the cracks occurred as a result of a small drop-like a foot.. Anecdotal as it may be, it's something to be aware of.

Yeah, I prefer no case a I always carry the thing in my jean pockets but I may experiment with a cover this time. Not that a cracked glass or back stops the thing from working. Leaving mine in the rain made it impossible to turn it off and so no re-start, and it also made the remote stop working.
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

It does appear suspect. I just can't understand how color alone would pose such a major problem as to halt production.. but who knows. I would imagine some sort of an explanation will surface as the phone does in the next month/s.

I don't know how common the problem is, but I have two friends who have cracked backs on their 4's recently. They didn't have cases, but each said the cracks occurred as a result of a small drop-like a foot.. Anecdotal as it may be, it's something to be aware of.

I'm surprised there aren't more reports of cracked iPhone 4s, I suspected that would have been the next "gate" after antennagate... You know, crackgate or glassgate or phonecrackgate or something.
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yeah, I prefer no case a I always carry the thing in my jean pockets but I may experiment with a cover this time. Not that a cracked glass or back stops the thing from working. Leaving mine in the rain made it impossible to turn it off and so no re-start, and it also made the remote stop working.

I like not having a case but my Apple free case (InCase Snap Smoke) is arriving in a week so I'll try it out. I need it for when I put it on a surface, like under my bed on the floor, and when in my pockets when it gets sweaty <---Not as gross as it sounds.
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I like not having a case but my Apple free case (InCase Snap Smoke) is arriving in a week so I'll try it out. I need it for when I put it on a surface, like under my bed on the floor, and when in my pockets when it gets sweaty <---Not as gross as it sounds.

... hmmm ... that would depend on which pocket.
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I like not having a case but my Apple free case (InCase Snap Smoke) is arriving in a week so I'll try it out. I need it for when I put it on a surface, like under my bed on the floor, and when in my pockets when it gets sweaty <---Not as gross as it sounds.

I missed my free case by 5 days. I'm going to call Apple and appeal as I have been trying to get an 1p4 for many weeks now. I too put my iPhone on the floor under my bed. Its a big sorry mess of a phone!
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Some naysayer will still post here like someone did on the iPad thread, and say, "Well, this means demand for iPhone 4 is dying down..."

In my own defense, the article said something like "the iPad shipping wait has been lowered so production quantities must be up." While I suspected the article was right, I don't think it is good to be sloppy with cause and effect. I merely postulated that another possibility could be a slow-down in sales. I wouldn't have brought it up if the article had said at some point something like "there is no indication of slowing sales..."

...and yes, this article has the same problem.

Furthermore, I believe it to be much more possible that iPhone4 sales in the US (where it has been on sale for months) have plateaued. World-wide sales are only going to go up as availability is increased and US sales could be expected to tick up as people shop/gift for the holidays, but I'm just sayin'...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #16 of 31
Well, this means demand for iPhone 4 is dying down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm surprised there aren't more reports of cracked iPhone 4s, I suspected that would have been the next "gate" after antennagate... You know, crackgate or glassgate or phonecrackgate or something.

I think Sapporobabyrtns said he dropped and broke the glass back and Apple replaced his phone knowing full well it was his fault.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I like not having a case but my Apple free case (InCase Snap Smoke) is arriving in a week so I'll try it out. I need it for when I put it on a surface, like under my bed on the floor, and when in my pockets when it gets sweaty <---Not as gross as it sounds.

I ordered the same case! About a week before it came, I cracked the front in a small drop onto a relatively soft surface. They replaced it at the Apple store (I know they didn't have too) and you can be sure that I have not taken the case off once since I got it!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I finally got an ip4 today. Had an early appointment with a genius re my iMac and to my surprise they had a few in store. Moi, a very happy camper. My G3 had a seriously damaged back, a cracked screen and couldn't be turned off manually after I left it out in the rain!

Accidents () will happen.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Sapporobabyrtns said he dropped and broke the glass back and Apple replaced his phone knowing full well it was his fault.

Yeah, I imagine they checked my purchase history Vs. my claim history in the back before giving me the good news. I had so little hope of replacement that I hadn't even backed up my pictures from the last week of vacation. I asked if I could come back the next day to get the replacement and they said "Don't count on it." I didn't!
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I missed my free case by 5 days.

So you received yours today? It seems to me the ORDER date is what should count, even if that's not what Apple specifically said. If you ordered before Sept. 30, you should have a good argument for them. Good luck!
Quote:
I'm going to call Apple and appeal as I have been trying to get an 1p4 for many weeks now.

"1p4"?? How does "iPhone 4" become "1p4"? "1" <> "i".
post #21 of 31
Any hope of a new model after the free bumper fix?
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

So you received yours today? It seems to me the ORDER date is what should count, even if that's not what Apple specifically said. If you ordered before Sept. 30, you should have a good argument for them. Good luck!

I didn't receive mine today, I got it in-store. But when I called them just now and explained that it was not for lack of trying I only got one today they decided to send me one anyway. You gotta love Apple. They must have a helluva deal with UPS or FedEx cuz the free bumper is being sent by courier!
Quote:
"1p4"?? How does "iPhone 4" become "1p4"? "1" <> "i".

I'm a guy - multitasking is not my forte. Say 'hello' to me while I'm dialling a number and I'll have to re-dial. Pathetic but true.
post #23 of 31
I was in the Lincoln Center store on Saturday and there wasn't an iPhone in sight. I believe they usually have two tables worth of them. Didn't get a chance to ask why, but I assumed that supplies must still be very low, unless they were simply reorganizing the displays.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My G3 had a seriously damaged back, a cracked screen and couldn't be turned off manually after I left it out in the rain!

With the way you threw in the part about being at the store for your computer, I thought at first you were talking about an iBook G3. Dude, maybe it's time to upgrade?

But I'm guessing you meant iPhone 3G. My bad.
post #25 of 31
Where's that radically new antennae design Apple is supposedly hiding up its sleeve? Not!
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

Has anyone ever seen a white iPhone4 live? Do they really exist anywhere outside a lab (or in photoshop)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Good. Now where is that white iPhone.


Something similar. Here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/user/jon4lake.../4/rQl7LRl7uB4
post #27 of 31
White - the new unobtanium

Now we know the real reason Papermaster left....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Mossberg had one- link below. It's a bit confounding that Apple was able to release a review unit in white, yet they remain unable to get the thing out to the public so many months later.]

What's so mystifying to understand that they can't produce the white ones that satisfy their standards in quantity ?

Being able to kick out a few review units does not translate into the ability to kick out tens of millions of production units to obsessive end users...
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

I don't know how common the problem is, but I have two friends who have cracked backs on their 4's recently. They didn't have cases, but each said the cracks occurred as a result of a small drop-like a foot.. Anecdotal as it may be, it's something to be aware of.

I have never dropped my iPhone - even a couple of feet. It simply boggles my mind how many people seem to just carelessly toss expensive devices like iPhones around.

If people were paying attention more to what is going on around them than constantly yapping on phones, tweeing, sending email/text messages then maybe they wouldn't be dropping iPhones and driving distracted. Then again maybe the real klutzs need to kill their iPhones - they might not be nearly as distracted.

I know the perfect gift you can get your friends that seem prone to breaking things - squaretrade replacement warranties! Christmas is coming up...
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm surprised there aren't more reports of cracked iPhone 4s

The freaking glass is more durable than the plastic back of the previous generation. A co-worker dropped his iPhone about three feet on asphalt and a chunk of the glass about 1cm square came out, but other than that you would never know it had been abused. He did something similar with his 3G and ended up having to replace the screen.

Forget simple cases, people that prone to dropping expensive equipment need cases with chains that can clip to a belt loop (or nose ring!) to catch their devices.
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I had so little hope of replacement that I hadn't even backed up my pictures from the last week of vacation. I asked if I could come back the next day to get the replacement and they said "Don't count on it." I didn't!

I'm surprised they didn't offer to make a backup for you and transfer it to the new phone. The Apple store I go to does this all the time for people.
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I'm surprised they didn't offer to make a backup for you and transfer it to the new phone. The Apple store I go to does this all the time for people.

Nope. Second time for me. I had a 3GS with a charging problem a year ago that they replaced too. Both times they offered me time to email my photos to myself before they changed out the phone. They did transfer over my contacts (presumably so I could make calls on the way home) which was nice. But I can't expect them to be transferring tons of photos. Its a busy store.

Thing is, after the first time (it had been about a week since last sync) I should have known better. The second time I was going to the Apple Store to pick up other items when, on a long shot I brought up the user error cracked screen. I'm still surprised/pleased that they repaired it...
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
Progress is a comfortable disease
--e.e.c.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple improves US iPhone 4 shipping times to 5-7 days