or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Apple to build Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone by year end

WSJ: Apple to build Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone by year end

post #1 of 67
Apple plans to begin mass production of a new Verizon-compatible iPhone by the end of 2010, allowing the largest carrier in the U.S. to launch the handset by early next year, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The paper reported on Wednesday that people briefed by Apple said the handset would have the same design as the current iPhone 4. But inside, the device is said to contain a CDMA chipset that would be compatible with Verizon's network.

The report claimed that the new CDMA iPhone will feature a chip from Qualcomm. It was said the device will launch in the first quarter of 2011.

Qualcomm's alleged involvement would confirm a report from late September which indicated the chipmaker was partnering with Apple for a CDMA iPhone. The current GSM iPhone uses UMTS/HSPA+ technology which is not compatible with Verizon.

Sources also indicated to the paper that Apple is also working on a fifth-generation iPhone that will contain a "different form factor from those that are currently available." No other information, including a potential release date, was given.

The report comes just as one analyst revealed that sources within Apple's overseas suppliers indicated the Cupertino, Calif., company plans to launch new phones with both larger and smaller screen sizes as soon as early 2011. It was suggested that Apple is looking to expand the iPhone line to offer different caliber products, much like it has done with the iPod brand.

Rumors of a Verizon iPhone have existed since the handset was first announced. In the U.S., it remains exclusive to carrier AT&T.

Those rumors largely died down in 2010 until March, when the Journal reported that Apple was working on a Verizon-compatible iPhone. Since then, numerous reports have pointed toward a January 2011 launch for the device.

It has even been said that the CDMA iPhone has been in testing at Apple for months, and in August the device, reportedly code-named N92, was said to be just two steps away from production status.
post #2 of 67
Man, the weirdest thing keeps happening! My iPhone insists on only displaying old repeat stories today. Oh, nevermind. It's just appleinsider.

Why oh why must the same story keep getting jumbled up and reposted?
post #3 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Oh good now that we have seen the tenth Android vs iOS thread this month we needed to add the tenth Verizon gets the iPhone article.

And it is only the 6th!
post #4 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

Man, the weirdest thing keeps happening! My iPhone insists on only displaying old repeat stories today. Oh, nevermind. It's just appleinsider.

Oh look, its this rumor again.. If this is true, then that means Verizon caved in to the demands of Apple. Which I call bullsh*t because both companies are control freaks.
post #5 of 67
Maybe it's like the chatter the intelligence agencies monitor in keeping tabs on terrorists. The greater the frequency and volume of these stories, the more likely it's gonna happen?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #6 of 67
When the WSJ is reporting that people were "told by Apple" it would be hard for AI not to run the story. You don't have to read it though.

Would have been nice to have something a little more concrete...
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Oh look, it’s this rumor again.. If this is true, then that means Verizon caved in to the demands of Apple. Which I call bullsh*t because both companies are control freaks.

You've made a good point here: back in 2007, Apple approached Verizon to offer the iPhone. When Verizon understood Apple would control the user experience itself, Verizon said no. When Google approached Verizon to offer Android-think open-well, Verizon salivated. Verizon wants to control the user experience. So, if and when CDMA iPhones appear, we shouldn't think Verizon. There are a half dozen very decent carriers throughout the world willing to let Apple control the user experience. There are dozens of big and small carriers all over the world who've agreed to the situation, and are doing well for it. Verizon will end up being the exclusive non-iPhone-carrier in the USA next year. But they will have Android.
post #8 of 67
Look it's going to happen. Deal with it!

Sigh.. My head hurts.. Rumor overload..
post #9 of 67
Dear WSJ

the Verizon iPhone will be released on Feburuary 29 2011.

Can I please have my consultancy fee now?
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

When Verizon understood Apple would control the user experience itself, Verizon said no. When Google approached Verizon to offer Android-think open-well, Verizon salivated.

This made me laughed hard
post #11 of 67
Wow. I was just saying this today on the thread about the multiple size iPhones. Steve Jobs IS listening to me. As I always suspected.

Hey Steve, cut the iOS crap and stick with a real Mac. Get rid of the iPad. And while your at it, how about a product between the iMac and the Mac Pro Tower.

Yeah, who's opinion counts here? MINE!
post #12 of 67
"Sources also indicated to the paper that Apple is also working on a fifth-generation iPhone that will contain a "different form factor from those that are currently available."

The smaller iphone "nano" will have in interface similar to the ipod nano. Not the full app store experience. Then they don't have to worry about app resolution issues and the full iphone is still an upsell.

Just my 2¢
post #13 of 67
insult removed
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #14 of 67
Does it come in white?
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

insult removed - Mr. H

We'll see in January. Oh you fanboys had all your reasons why it could not be done.

There's no money in it, no one wants it, and my personal favorite: No simultaneous voice and data.

Yeah, that's a great reason for someone who can't get ATT reception to NOT buy a Verizon phone.

Idiot am i? We shall see sir.
post #16 of 67
I'm surprised that AI keeps reporting the same rumour from different sources. It's boring, seriously. The article mentions new iPhones next year..... That'll be the iPhone 5 expect it around June doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Does it come in white?

Blacks only my friend.
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajack7 View Post

Does it come in white?

Only if you do this.

http://www.youtube.com/jon4lakers#p/u/5/rQl7LRl7uB4
post #19 of 67
When (if) the iPhone comes to Verizon, don't count on your GPS to work properly without shelling out monthly for the VZNav app.

(GPS still doesn't work like advertised on my Palm Pre, even with tweaks! But it works great for Sprint!)
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But inside, the device is said to contain a CDMA chipset that would be compatible with Verizon's network.

The report claimed that the new CDMA iPhone will feature a chip from Qualcomm. It was said the device will launch in the first quarter of 2011.

and also 1st quarter 2007, 1st quarter 2008, 3rd quarter 2008, 4th quarter 2008, 1st quarter 2009, etc.
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

You've made a good point here: back in 2007, Apple approached Verizon to offer the iPhone. When Verizon understood Apple would control the user experience itself, Verizon said no. When Google approached Verizon to offer Android-think open-well, Verizon salivated. Verizon wants to control the user experience. So, if and when CDMA iPhones appear, we shouldn't think Verizon. There are a half dozen very decent carriers throughout the world willing to let Apple control the user experience. There are dozens of big and small carriers all over the world who've agreed to the situation, and are doing well for it. Verizon will end up being the exclusive non-iPhone-carrier in the USA next year. But they will have Android.

The android platform is still open....are you really that slow? That's not controlling the user experience. I have no bloatware on my Droid. It's easy to get rid off if you do, just like HACKING your iphone except it's legal. Get your facts straight. Remember in 2007, Apple wasn't so cool with this nor third party's making their own apps....Until it was a obviously profitable.....
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Blacks only my friend.

Once you go Blackintosh, you never post worthwhile commentary again.

Er, go back.

Right, that was what I meant. heh.
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Once you go Blackintosh, you never post worthwhile commentary again. Er, go back. Right, that was what I meant. heh.

I assume you mean "you go" like "you go girl!!" except I may or may not be a girl. Thank you for your support. I could use it. I just innocently state my opinion here and get attacked by certain people. It's guys (or girls) like you that keep me going. Just when I feel like never coming here again, I read a incoherent post like yours and I know someone here loves me.
post #24 of 67
Quote:

Get rid of the iPad.

This statement makes you an idiot. iPad sales have been projected to hit 28 million by 2011! You have NO clue about anything.

Quote:

Yeah, who's opinion counts here? MINE!

post #25 of 67
Quote:

I assume you mean "you go" like "you go girl!!" except I may or may not be a girl. Thank you for your support. I could use it. I just innocently state my opinion here and get attacked by certain people. It's guys (or girls) like you that keep me going. Just when I feel like never coming here again, I read a incoherent post like yours and I know someone here loves me.

You said blacks only, so I twisted the "once you go black you don't go back" line to poke fun at the history you have with posting here on AI and how many people don't like the things you post or think they make any sense.

Personally I could care less, I'm just a smart ass and bored at work Oh, BTW, wife and 2 kids, I'm a guy
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by theobold View Post

The android platform is still open....are you really that slow? That's not controlling the user experience. I have no bloatware on my Droid. It's easy to get rid off if you do, just like HACKING your iphone except it's legal. Get your facts straight. Remember in 2007, Apple wasn't so cool with this nor third party's making their own apps....Until it was a obviously profitable.....

You are correct. Everyone complaining about he Android phones here haven't seen them, or haven't seen one in a long time...

Fanboys tend to learn Fanboyisms like "Fragmented" and "Clunky"... I said it before and I'll say it again, they are BOTH (Droid and iPhone) fine products. The nonsense you hear spouted here is just fanboys feeling the need to insult every product without an Apple logo on it.

And Jobs NEVER NEVER wanted an App store. NEVER. He 1st insulted the developers with his "SWEET SOLUTION" of WebApps, and then when he saw how well the Jailbreak community was doing he decided that he would issue a SDK and the App store... That's the facts.

I like Apple products as much as the next guy, but lets try to be somewhat realistic and rational here.
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by theobold View Post

The android platform is still open....are you really that slow? That's not controlling the user experience. I have no bloatware on my Droid. It's easy to get rid off if you do, just like HACKING your iphone except it's legal.

Since when is hacking your iPhone illegal?
post #28 of 67
I predict that the current time is 5:00 PM. Eventually, I will be right.

Seriously, Verizon and Sprint are in a heap of trouble. All of the latest smart phones are going the GSM route first.....this is the global standard (Windows Mobile 7 is next week).

This is why Verizon and Sprint are frantically building out their 4G Nets. CDMA is dead. At least Verizon is choosing a global standard (LTE). Sprint is going south with Wimax. Try convincing Apple, Microsoft, etc to build a Wimax model.
post #29 of 67
For the life of me I don't understand why folks think only "Verizon" when they hear a CDMA iPhone is coming? Without breaching an NDA, as a tech consultant I personally met with Verizon Mobile engineering teams for a project a few weeks ago and the consistent company line was "...hate Apple. We're in bed with Google." My visit revealed Verizon folks are also enamored with BREW for some odd reason...(?) But this nearly confirms my well-educated hunch that Sprint will be the first CDMA iPhone purveyor for sure, with a possible T-Mobile rollout (GSM) in the same quarter of 2011.
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

When the WSJ is reporting that people were "told by Apple" it would be hard for AI not to run the story. You don't have to read it though.

Would have been nice to have something a little more concrete...

If Apple builds a CDMA Verizon compatible iPhone, that does not mean Verizon will sell it. The article just says it is CDMA. This phone could be destined for China!
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineworks View Post

For the life of me I don't understand why folks think only "Verizon" when they hear a CDMA iPhone is coming? Without breaching an NDA, as a tech consultant I personally met with Verizon Mobile engineering teams for a project a few weeks ago and the consistent company line was "...hate Apple. We're in bed with Google." My visit revealed Verizon folks are also enamored with BREW for some odd reason...(?) But this nearly confirms my well-educated hunch that Sprint will be the first CDMA iPhone purveyor for sure, with a possible T-Mobile rollout (GSM) in the same quarter of 2011.

I don't think Sprint will do anything with an iPhone since they are clearly going in a different direction with 4G. Apple would have to manufacture a CDMA phone with WiMax capabiities. Verizon and ATT are going the same LTE path.

Nothing is off the table, but I think that's a reason why they won't go with Sprint.
post #32 of 67
The WSJ (and others) are also reporting that Verizon plans to offer LTE capability in 30+ cities early in 2011. Would make more sense for Apple to make an LTE capable iPhone, CDMA really has no future upside.
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

Dear WSJ

Good call on the date.
post #34 of 67
One day the WSJ will be right. Let's hope this rumor is it. But I was really hoping for a January release date. \
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

Dear WSJ

Accuracy like this is bordering on Shaw Wu levels. I'd be willing to hire you and pay you 5 Bajillion dollars a year to keep giving us predictions that are as accurate as this one clearly is.

post #36 of 67
I don't know if or when verizon will get the iPhone but I guarantee you this: verizon will never control the software or apps in any way. If they want a gps service or whatnot, they are going to have to compete with app developers on an even field for that coin. At least as long as Jobs is in charge.

And I reiterate from previous threads, verizon needs apple--not the other way around. Think world market and devices (plural). Look at apple's recent drives into developing markets ouside the US. Now imagine how many markets around the world as yet remain virtually untapped. Now think of apple's potential growth in these markets. How does it look? Pretty damn good, I'd say. Verizon's potential growth in these markets? Not so much.

As plain as the nose on Karl Malden's face, you will see quite clearly that apple is poised for huge international growth. The sky's the limit. In short order, verizon's demands on apple will be no more annoying than a single fly at a kingly feast. Mr. Jobs says SWAT!
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Oh look, its this rumor again.. If this is true, then that means Verizon caved in to the demands of Apple. Which I call bullsh*t because both companies are control freaks.

Yeah, the WSJ is known for printing unreliable BS.
post #38 of 67
Quote:

I got banned for this once before, but I'm gonna say it again because I believe I'm right.

If you have something to say to me, say it. Don't stand behind someone else and piggyback off of their insult. Be a man. Say it to my face.

Certainly.

I believe you to be nothing more than a glorified troll/hater/anti-fanboy/what have you whose sole purpose is to post on a forum opposite your own interests for no other reason than to invoke the ire of its members. Your statements are mostly nonsensical, your distaste for Apple products is well-known, and your points fallacious at best.

On topic, I still think that a CDMA iPhone is idiotic.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancass79 View Post

The difference is that it's WSJ. What Apple rumor posted by WSJ turned out to be false? I don't remember any. It seemed like they had several that did turn out to be true, like the Intel transition, the original iPhone announcement, among others.
post #40 of 67
I hear alot of trash talk but I am interested if anyone actually knows what would happen if the 50% of iPhone subscribers switched to Verizon. Can Verizon handle the broadband explosion they would see?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › WSJ: Apple to build Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone by year end