or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › This is why Texas removed Thomas Jefferson from the curriculum

This is why Texas removed Thomas Jefferson from the curriculum

post #1 of 9
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/found...v1ch15s32.html

His ideas don't really mesh with the whole neoconservative movement that's ravaged our country since the days of Reagan. Extreme inequality? Bad! How to prevent such extremes? Tax the shit out of the rich!

If you want to consult the founding fathers for advice on how to tackle unemployment in this economy where businesses are showing record profits but are still refusing to hire? Thomas Jefferson would say the rich got too rich and we need to do something about THAT.

Quote:
Seven o'clock, and retired to my fireside, I have determined to enter into conversation with you; this [Fontainebleau] is a village of about 5,000 inhabitants when the court is not here and 20,000 when they are, occupying a valley thro' which runs a brook, and on each side of it a ridge of small mountains most of which are naked rock. The king comes here in the fall always, to hunt. His court attend him, as do also the foreign diplomatic corps. But as this is not indispensably required, and my finances do not admit the expence of a continued residence here, I propose to come occasionally to attend the king's levees, returning again to Paris, distant 40 miles. This being the first trip, I set out yesterday morning to take a view of the place. For this purpose I shaped my course towards the highest of the mountains in sight, to the top of which was about a league. As soon as I had got clear of the town I fell in with a poor woman walking at the same rate with myself and going the same course. Wishing to know the condition of the labouring poor I entered into conversation with her, which I began by enquiries for the path which would lead me into the mountain: and thence proceeded to enquiries into her vocation, condition and circumstance. She told me she was a day labourer, at 8. sous or 4 d. sterling the day; that she had two children to maintain, and to pay a rent of 30 livres for her house (which would consume the hire of 75 days), that often she could get no emploiment, and of course was without bread. As we had walked together near a mile and she had so far served me as a guide, I gave her, on parting 24 sous. She burst into tears of a gratitude which I could perceive was unfeigned, because she was unable to utter a word. She had probably never before received so great an aid. This little attendrissement, with the solitude of my walk led me into a train of reflections on that unequal division of property which occasions the numberless instances of wretchedness which I had observed in this country and is to be observed all over Europe. The property of this country is absolutely concentered in a very few hands, having revenues of from half a million of guineas a year downwards. These employ the flower of the country as servants, some of them having as many as 200 domestics, not labouring. They employ also a great number of manufacturers, and tradesmen, and lastly the class of labouring husbandmen. But after all these comes the most numerous of all the classes, that is, the poor who cannot find work. I asked myself what could be the reason that so many should be permitted to beg who are willing to work, in a country where there is a very considerable proportion of uncultivated lands? These lands are kept idle mostly for the aske of game. It should seem then that it must be because of the enormous wealth of the proprietors which places them above attention to the increase of their revenues by permitting these lands to be laboured. I am conscious that an equal division of property is impracticable. But the consequences of this enormous inequality producing so much misery to the bulk of mankind, legislators cannot invent too many devices for subdividing property, only taking care to let their subdivisions go hand in hand with the natural affections of the human mind. The descent of property of every kind therefore to all the children, or to all the brothers and sisters, or other relations in equal degree is a politic measure, and a practicable one. Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise. Whenever there is in any country, uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right. The earth is given as a common stock for man to labour and live on. If, for the encouragement of industry we allow it to be appropriated, we must take care that other employment be furnished to those excluded from the appropriation. If we do not the fundamental right to labour the earth returns to the unemployed. It is too soon yet in our country to say that every man who cannot find employment but who can find uncultivated land, shall be at liberty to cultivate it, paying a moderate rent. But it is not too soon to provide by every possible means that as few as possible shall be without a little portion of land. The small landholders are the most precious part of a state.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #2 of 9
Quote:
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

Quote:
All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.

Thomas Jefferson
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Whenever there is in any country, uncultivated lands and unemployed poor, it is clear that the laws of property have been so far extended as to violate natural right.

-Thomas Jefferson

And how do we deal with this?

Quote:
Another means of silently lessening the inequality of property is to exempt all from taxation below a certain point, and to tax the higher portions of property in geometrical progression as they rise.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #4 of 9

Quote:
"I like the power given the Legislature to levy taxes, and for that reason solely approve of the greater house being chosen by the people directly. For though I think a house chosen by them will be very illy qualified to legislate for the Union, for foreign nations, etc., yet this evil does not weigh against the good of preserving inviolate the fundamental principle that the people are not to be taxed but by representatives chosen immediately by themselves." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1787. ME 6:387

Quote:
"As to the new Constitution... Would it not have been better to assign to Congress exclusively the article of imposts for federal purposes, and to have left direct taxation exclusively to the States? I should suppose the former fund sufficient for all probably events, aided by the land office." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1787. ME 6:395

Quote:
"The suppression of unnecessary offices, of useless establishments and expenses enabled us to discontinue internal taxes. These covering our land with officers and opening our doors to their intrusions, had already begun that process of domiciliary vexation which, once entered, is scarcely to be restrained from reaching successively every article of produce and property." --Thomas Jefferson: 2nd Inaugural, 1805. ME 3:376
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/found...v1ch15s32.html

His ideas don't really mesh with the whole neoconservative movement that's ravaged our country since the days of Reagan. Extreme inequality? Bad! How to prevent such extremes? Tax the shit out of the rich!

If you want to consult the founding fathers for advice on how to tackle unemployment in this economy where businesses are showing record profits but are still refusing to hire? Thomas Jefferson would say the rich got too rich and we need to do something about THAT.

I think it funny how the neoconservatives here don't want to look at certain aspects of getting the country back to what was intended ( their version of history is always different ). And yet they're always crying " We need to take this country back ". Back to what? Back to where we were before those founding fathers got here? Back to the conditions that made them come here in the first place?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #6 of 9
Sounds like he got more financially conservative with age.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

This is why Texas removed Thomas Jefferson from the curriculum

The Texas School Board did not remove Thomas Jefferson or any other president from the curriculum; instead they revised the curriculum in school books to provide more balance and less lefty bias.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Thomas Jefferson

Wasn't Jefferson an Agrarian president and he believed in the bartering principle? He also had a slave named Sally Hemmings who was his mistress.So why was Jefferson so hated among his peers?To me Texas represents low intelligence as pertaining to Bush who emanates from there.They are very narrow minded people in Texas.
post #9 of 9
Bush wasn't from Texas. He currently lives there, but he certainly did a good job in duping the world--convincing them he's not the northern elite he truly is.

-Sagan

-Sagan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › This is why Texas removed Thomas Jefferson from the curriculum