or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon, Apple quarreled over iPhone retail options, digital content
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon, Apple quarreled over iPhone retail options, digital content - Page 4

post #121 of 222
How to make everyone's lives a little easier:

Click "User CP" -> click "Edit Ignore List" -> type "Blackintosh" -> click "Okay"

Ignore lists don't work when everyone in the thread is quoting the troll
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
Reply
post #122 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Okay fine. Maybe ATT was a good fit for Apple in the beginning. But it's over three years later. Time to kiss and make up with Verizon. And T Mobile. And the rest...

I actually strongly agree with this. I also believe this is what Apple is aiming for.

One of the critical reasons I believe this is the case is because of the following Steve Jobs statement from an interview with Steven Levy :

http://web.archive.org/web/200402012...d=4052227&p1=0
(via http://daringfireball.net/2010/08/n92)

Quote:
"The Mac-user interface was a 10-year monopoly," says Jobs. "Who ended up running the company? Sales guys. At the critical juncture in the late '80s, when they should have gone for market share, they went for profits. They made obscene profits for several years. And their products became mediocre. And then their monopoly ended with Windows 95. They behaved like a monopoly, and it came back to bite them, which always happens."

Apple did this with the iPod, slashing prices when competition increased (anyone else remember how a couple of weeks before the Zune was supposed to be introduced at a price lower than the iPods' Apple held a media event, revealing new, better iPods, as well as undercutting the Zune in price?).

I bet they are looking for market share with the iPhone, which is why I fully expect them to be on Verizon this time next year.
post #123 of 222
Verizon needs Apple more than Apple needs them. Apple cant even meet demand for iPhone 4, but were supposed to believe theyre going to cave to Verizons crapware? Keep dreaming. Apple can stay on AT&T and choose other carriers and keep raking in more money than ever.
post #124 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

How to make everyone's lives a little easier:

Click "User CP" -> click "Edit Ignore List" -> type "Blackintosh" -> click "Okay"

Don't listen to him. Censorship is wrong. Don't be afraid of new ideas.
post #125 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I actually strongly agree with this.

It only took four pages of post, but I finally got someone to see the light. It was worth blowing an entire morning to hear this.
post #126 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Not making a deal with Verizon was a terrible mistake on Jobs' part.

yes. due to the successes of its mobile devices, along with its other products, apple is now the second largest corporation in the world. what a terrible mistake, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

As far as the best designed smartphone, that's only true if it's in a case.

and that's only true if you know absolutely nothing about style or design, which you've just proven to be your plight. :-)
post #127 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Our wireless networks need to be taken down a peg or two.

Agreed, but is that Apple's job? Should Apple deny itself substantial profit just to teach Verizon a lesson?
post #128 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Verizon needs Apple more than Apple needs them. Apple cant even meet demand for iPhone 4, but were supposed to believe theyre going to cave to Verizons crapware? Keep dreaming. Apple can stay on AT&T and choose other carriers and keep raking in more money than ever.

Im sure Sprints heads would give Steve Jobs their livers at this point.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #129 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluni

Some of the Android phone companies do declare (because they are public companies) how many phones they have sold. Based on that, last quarter Apple sold more than 2x as many phones as Motorola and HTC Android phones combined! Now, while Apple breaks down their sales by US and International, Motorola and HTC do not.

That whole post was fantastic, it's what i have been saying.

The US market dominates the press, Androids catch up in 2010 in the US alone, gets all the press. I mentioned in another thread that in the last conference call Peter Oppenheimer said that they had outperformed the market - y-o-y. Where did that come from if android was catching up.

In the rest of the world, Apple doubled its market share. See this ( via Daring Fireball)

http://www.clickz.com/clickz/stats/1...-growth-europe

3 Month Average of Top Smartphone Platforms in Europe. In July 2009 iPhone is 10.2%, by 2010 it is 19.2%, a point change of 9 percentiles. Android grows by 5.6 percentile in the same period.

Not catching up there. ( Nokia is way ahead, and there is a lot of room for growth for iPhone and Android).

The Even More Rest of the World. I leave that as an exercise for the reader - however Apple is not on all carriers in all countries now, but is doing better than 2009, for sure. Look at China. So the worldwide Y-O-Y

The US is a special case because of the limitations of AT&T, particularly in the big markets like San Fran and New York. aT&T have 25% of all subscribers in the US and the iPhone is 28% of the smart phone market.

Verizon have 30% of the market. I dont expect ( obviously) that the iPhone grows to 58%, defectors from AT&T will reduce Apple's share of AT&T's share of the smartphone market ( which is disproportionate) , but Apple will grow in the US.

On all carriers I see it at 40% of the market in the US and trending there worldwide...
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #130 of 222
It is easy to judge things after the fact and I think your statement it factually incorrect. The reality is when Apple first negotiated with Verizon, Verizon was being more stubborn. The landscape was completely different at the time. The carriers called all the shots. Verizon wanted to control all the content on the phone, the distribution channel, pricing, and the list goes on. Further, Verizon's network wasn't compatiable with most the world (so Apple would had to make multiple phones for different parts of the world).

In all truth Apple likely really didn't want a deal but was using Verizon to try and get a good deal from AT&T. The price of Apple getting unprecedented control over the user experience came at the cost of a five year contract [per court records]. AS a result of Apple's success, companies relying on Google's Android got to take advantage of Verizon getting desperate as it saw it's market share slip to AT&T and Apple being tied into a five year contract (through 2012) with AT&T (again per court records). The exclusivity allowed Google to get a foot in the door on Verizon and T-Mobile.

Contrary to your assertion, Apple likely renegotiated the original contract with AT&T to lower the amount of years Apple was stuck under contract not extend the contract (we will see if a phone comes out this year or in 2011). If you recall when the iPhone first came out a huge selling point was the customer could buy the phone and sign up for service at home using iTunes. It is estimated millions of phones were purchased and unlocked to work on other carriers thereby getting around AT&T's exclusivity. This benefitted Apple because it sold a lot of phones at full price and it didn't care who the carrier ended up being. When the next iPhone came out, Apple required people to activate in a store. AT&T largely benefited from that because it became harder to use the phone on another network. AT&T probably gave up some of the original years on exclusivity to benefit from that change.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights.

Why did Apple extend the AT&T contract that pushed them into a corner, is beyond me.
post #131 of 222
Dear verizon please do not cripple the iPhone.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #132 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It's not those thoughts that are driving the forum nuts, it's your arrogance and self-righteousness that's doing it.

It's interesting that you choose those particular words. In all the forums I have visited, I find this one to the the most arrogant, intolerant, and bigoted (from a tech standpoint) forum in the world.

As I have stated before, this forum consists of about a dozen people who want to hear themselves talk, and then their buddies chime in with +1 or spot on or totally agree. Any outsider who tries to comment here is dismissed as a troll or utterly ignored.

Anything I say here is just my opinion as just another f**king observer. I don't really sweep up at ATT, nor do I lunch with Steve Jobs as a poster here once claimed.

Although I would welcome the opportunity to do so and would gladly buy Steve a nice juicy steak dinner.
post #133 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

yes. due to the successes of its mobile devices, along with its other products, apple is now the second largest corporation in the world. what a terrible mistake, indeed.

Sooo, because they are a big company that makes them right?
post #134 of 222
How can you say that? I bought an iMac, a MacBook Pro, three generations of iPhone, a dozen iPods over the years and I'm a snappy dresser.

I prefer to be judged by the company I keep. And that's YOU my friend.

Please remember I am the spiritual leader of the Apple Insider forum.
post #135 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

How can you say that? I bought an iMac, a MacBook Pro, three generations of iPhone, a dozen iPods over the years and I'm a snappy dresser.

I prefer to be judged by the company I keep. And that's YOU my friend.

Please remember I am the spiritual leader of the Apple Insider forum.

I dont see much leadership, but you keep us amused.

I nominate you are the Class Clown of the Apple Insider forum.

/wipes tear from eye.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #136 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I was going by what was posted here on AppleInsider and other Mac sites. I did a quick search and found this Exclusive Contract

If you think that that is an Exclusive Contract, I have a bridge in the Gulf of Mexico to sell you.

I would suggest you remove the link. It really could make you look dumber than a door handle. IMO.
post #137 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

How can you say that? I bought an iMac, a MacBook Pro, three generations of iPhone, a dozen iPods over the years and I'm a snappy dresser.

I prefer to be judged by the company I keep. And that's YOU my friend.

Please remember I am the spiritual leader of the Apple Insider forum.

Nobody takes you seriously, because youre an ignorant devils advocate. You contribute nothing here.
post #138 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So let Verizon sell their V Cast stuff on the iPhone. What's the big deal? Apple bent and put Netflix on the Apple TV.

You know what Apple's problem is? They can't partner with anyone because their CEO has delusions of Godhood.


Do auto industry execs have delusions of Godhood for charging $8000 for GPS systems?
Do airline execs have delusions of Godhood for charging for peanuts and checked baggage and providing you with zero legroom?
Are the oil execs just regular friendly guys who want to clean the gulf to do the right thing?
Are the guys at your cable / sat provider playing God by making you pay for over 100 channels you never watch?
What about telecom CEOs and text messaging charges? You're ok with those guys?

Get real. Jobs is just like every other successful CEO. He just gets more attention because they're on top.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #139 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Nobody takes you seriously, because youre an ignorant devils advocate.

A devil's advocate contributes more than a bunch of fanboys telling each other that they are right about everything and everyone else is wrong.

+1
Spot on
Totally agree

Besides, what do you want me to contribute anyway? Let's be real here. The only reason we come here is to get inside info on Apple to make money. I don't have any inside info. Just my opinion on where the company is going based on what I read here, at 9 to 5 mac, MacWorld, Consumer Reports and the WSJ.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right, who knows. If I step on people's feelings here, then maybe they are too "into" minding Apple's business. They are a company for profit, not a rock band. The whole concept of being an Apple fanboy is beyond my comprehension,

Perhaps someone could explain it to me one day.
post #140 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Do auto industry execs have delusions of Godhood for charging $8000 for GPS systems?
Do airline execs have delusions of Godhood for charging for peanuts and checked baggage and providing you with zero legroom?
Are the oil execs just regular friendly guys who want to clean the gulf to do the right thing?
Are the guys at your cable / sat provider playing God by making you pay for over 100 channels you never watch?

The auto industry partnered with Microsoft and Apple to integrate their products into cars.

Airlines partner with food companies to feed passengers.

Cable providers partner with HBO and networks to carry content.

Don't know what to tell you about the oil company. They partner with the yacht companies to get the best ships for their employees I guess.

Business is about partnerships. And Apple flounders in this area. Even Jobs admitted that at the D-? conference with Bill Gates.

I think the point has been made.
post #141 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

The auto industry partnered with Microsoft and Apple to integrate their products into cars.

Airlines partner with food companies to feed passengers.

Cable providers partner with HBO and networks to carry content.

Don't know what to tell you about the oil company. They partner with the yacht companies to get the best ships for their employees I guess.

Business is about partnerships. And Apple flounders in this area. Even Jobs admitted that at the D-? conference with Bill Gates.

I think the point has been made.

Oh - you're right after all. Apple doesn't partner with anyone. They do it all in their garage.
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Reply
post #142 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

A devil's advocate contributes more than a bunch of fanboys telling each other that they are right about everything and everyone else is wrong.

+1
Spot on
Totally agree

Besides, what do you want me to contribute anyway? Let's be real here. The only reason we come here is to get inside info on Apple to make money. I don't have any inside info. Just my opinion on where the company is going based on what I read here, at 9 to 5 mac, MacWorld, Consumer Reports and the WSJ.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right, who knows. If I step on people's feelings here, then maybe they are too "into" minding Apple's business. They are a company for profit, not a rock band. The whole concept of being an Apple fanboy is beyond my comprehension,

Perhaps someone could explain it to me one day.

seriously, despite the name, this place is not about "inside information" to trade with.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #143 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Hey, talk like a normal person, or I'm going to start deleting posts! I'm getting tired of your sarcastic remarks. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, that's fine, but leave the rest out.

Thank GOD someone is going to take care of that idiot. Every post of his just itches to start controversy, and more than half are ill-informed.
post #144 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Great post.

The real problem with an LTE phone is that it has to have backward compatibility where there is no LTE coverage. And after the "there's a map for that" dustup between VZW and AT&T, you can pretty much guarantee that AT&T isn't going to let a Verizon LTE smartphone roam on their GSM network. So a Verizon LTE iPhone would still need CDMA support.

Actually the LTE spec provides for fallback to either GSM/UMTS or CDMA networks so LTE chipsets should allow Apple to build one design for either environment (Qualcomm has already started sampling such a chip). The baseband software in the phone will determine which fallback technology and to what frequencies just as it specs which freqs to use for your particular LTE provider.

While it is questionable if VZ and ATT will decide to play nice regarding roaming, that does not preclude either from signing roaming contracts with smaller carriers that might well allow VZ LTE to fall back to a GSM/UMTS or vise versa for ATT (less likely since CDMA/EVDO Rev A does not support voice/data at the same time). VZ has indicated that they intend to stand down CDMA/EVDO at some point in the not too distant future, so that would seem to imply that they might well be working on roaming contracts with GSM/UMTS carriers. Also it is important to realize the EVDO Rev A (ie existing VZ data network) is already maxed out at about 1.2Mb/sec (AT&T currently at 7.2 with 14.4 systemwide by year's end). Assuming Apple is going down the CDMA/EVDO path, even shortterm, raises the issue of how to address the fact that CDMA/EVDO rev A does not support simultaneous voice and data (visual voicemail, browsing while talking). VZ could launch a LTE fallback VoIP network using bonded channels of their existing EVDO network as a fix (Qualcomm has chips available that would support such) but that again goes against what they have publicly indicated.

It certainly is going to be interesting over the next couple of years.
post #145 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

His point is that the iPhone is already wildly successful and should not have to cave in to meet idiotic demands. In the case of the apple tv, apple needed to make traction and make it a staple within their ecosystem, therefore making the small cave of bringing in netflix should help boost sales and make it less of a hobby.

I think this was more a move of adoption and knowing that certain studios were not going to be quick to adopt iTunes rentals, like NBC. Win-Win for Apple. Buy and Apple TV primarily to be your Netflix box, but then on a Friday night you go to watch a movie, but it isn't on Watch Instantly yet (just came out) so you look on iTunes, and viola! It's there. So you say, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

So it's okay for Lord Verizon to force their rubbish onto your phone? I have yet to see a single in-mobile phone purchase offered from a telco that is worth anything more than rubbish "top of the charts" ringtones and postage-size, blurry videos.

My previous phones before iPhone was loaded with all sorts of nonsense and the telcos had their sway in their software and offerings I wasn't remotely interested in.

I like my phones un-raped nowadays.

I have a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon. The only Verizon app on there is the Navigator app, in addition to Google Maps. I won't go into the whole new aGPS API Verizon release that excludes only the webOS phones, but aside from that navigator app and the word Verizon hidden on the mirror (when you slide the screen up to access the keyboard), there is no sign of Verizon anywhere. No VCAST, (Amazon MP3 store is on there). So Verizon DOES avoid putting their stuff on there. I know, iPhone > Pre/Pixi, but the fact is there is the precedent that Verizon can/will do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post

I would let Verizon put a V-Cast app on the iPhone as long as, just like other music and video apps it could be deleted. There is no reason to give them special access to the ipod app or itunes. or their own appstore.

They should also skip this whole CDMA crap and go right to LTE. By the time this phone comes out Verizon will have 1/2 the country lit up with LTE.

Perhaps it is a dual chip iPhone? LTE and CMDA? Possible, because I agree, by Jan 2012, I can see Verizon filling in the gaps from the NFL Cities (For instance, I live in Greenville, SC, half way between Atlanta and Charlotte. Those 2 cities, plus Athens, GA all are LTE cities. I am sure they could easily merge these along I-85). But even still? It will be 2-3 years at least before all of the Verizon Network is LTE, enough time to have a CDMA iPhone ready for replacement/upgrade to iPhone 6 LTE only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You know what Apple's strength is? They have a strong business plan, a controlled user experience which ensures user safety, operating stability and optimal handling for the hardware.

The CEO of any company gets the final say about how and where the company's products are sold. It has nothing to do with "Godhood", and I'd ask that you maybe didn't blaspheme.

Exactly. Apple is successful in what they do. It works for them, and builds loyalty because of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I realize that -- considering the huge growth in the copy-cat Android market -- Apple probably needs to do this deal with Verizon.

That said, Apple is 100% right to draw a line in the sand over Verizon's V Cast store. That's the technique VZW uses to lock down all the other Verizon phones (yes, even Android phones) and that is not what made the iPhone the best smartphone ever designed. Verizon wouldn't know a good UI design if it hit them over the head...

If Verizon wants to have a separate V Cast app for the iPhone and do their video that way, that would be OK. But to replace the iTunes infrastructure with their pathetic "store" would be a disaster.

Agreed - iTunes/iPod = iPhone. This will not be a replacement but an alternative.
post #146 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Oh - you're right after all. Apple doesn't partner with anyone. They do it all in their garage.

Interesting you should say that. It's probably how the whole walled garden mentality got started.

As an aside, Jobs did say at D-8 that Apple is run like a "startup" to this day.
post #147 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This is a typical Apple blunder, where they'll negotiate only after they're utterly desperate. Had they negotiated and signed a contract back in '08 or even '09, Verizon would've not had this kind on arm-twisting rights.

Why did Apple extend the AT&T contract that pushed them into a corner, is beyond me.

Typical apple blunder? Apple looks like a blundering company to you? Utterly desperate? Apple looks desperate to you? Join us back here in reality.
post #148 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

Thank GOD someone is going to take care of that idiot. Every post of his just itches to start controversy, and more than half are ill-informed.

So you are in favor of censorship? Can you not even tolerate another opinion besides your own? Do you find absolutely no merit in any single thing I have said? Anything?
post #149 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

seriously, despite the name, this place is not about "inside information" to trade with.

Oh. So it's a fan site? A news site? Real journalism?

If I had not posted a single thing on this forum today, the conversation surly would have been along the lines of "I can't believe AI even mentions these Verizon rumors."
post #150 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I think you meant to say every time blackintosh makes a great argument of logic. And you should refer to my posts as outstanding. Cause they are.

@moderator...everyone has option to say what they want but it would be good to follow up on your comment about sarcasm...this person seems to thrive on being odd/different but also takes up a lot of time and space. i'm working and a student and like to catch up on things "inside apple" but these kind of posts are more like rants.

You know what Apple's problem is? They can't partner with anyone because their CEO has delusions of Godhood.
So it's okay for Lord Jobs...

there must be somebody on the planet that would like an iPhone with it's beautiful scratch prone glass body and innovative exterior antenna that drops calls when held naturally in your left hand.

Lord knows I wouldn't want my posts to appear emotional and uninformed. I want to sound intelligent. Like all of my forum friends here.

So Apple would sell more phones and make more profit for itself and it's shareholders and everybody would be happy. Everyone except the members of this forum.

Yes, I'm completely wrong and you're completely right. There is no room for anyone else's opinions other than yours and the ones on this forum.


In response to a question asking for back up to a claim he/she wrote:" I have them. I sweep up at ATT headquarters on the weekend. I'll get you a copy."


If I take this persons post at face value, I assume he/she somehow thinks t have superior business skills to S. Jobs. Its great to have opinions, but based on this persons attitude its hard to see there is logic behind anything. Only a bitterness. In his/her words: "This is the way I talk. It sounds normal to me."

His/her conclusion is: Just speak with eloquence and wisdom and you will easily sway others to your way of thinking. Like I just did with you.

So many posts, so much sad anger, and sadly, I have so little time to read what I hope is insightful info.
post #151 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I see. So it's okay for Lord Jobs to partner with someone on their hobby but not on a "headliner product?" Wouldn't a headliner product make more money for the company than a "hobby?"

You have no idea what you're talking about. Vcast is a major issue for Verizon, not Apple. People with iPhones will be very unlikely to use Vcast at its ridiculous $15 a month price. They also make lots of money selling music. I can see why Verizon would be worried about this and be reluctant to do a deal.

As for Apple, they are understandably concerned about selling their product with VZ's retail partners, where they can't exercise the same QC they can in large chain stores and/or their own stores.
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #152 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What are you talking about?

Apple isn't "desperate," if anyone is, it's Verizon at the moment. The way these things go is that Apple tries to make a deal with Verizon and Verizon says no because of the above reasons. Apple then goes to AT&T and they say "yes." That's all there is to it. Once AT&T says yes, all the stuff about Apple hating Verizon or vice versa is just BS.

Verizon got first crack and they blew it. Anyone involved in negotiations knows that you don't always get the second round of discussions. Apple was shopping around looking for a partner. Once they found one that passed the spec, they went with it. Since the partner they had was acting normally and in good faith, they extended the contract. All of this is totally normal behaviour.

Shhh, you are making sense. It might hurt some trolls here; though fear not they aren't an endangered species.
post #153 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

So let Verizon sell their V Cast stuff on the iPhone. What's the big deal? Apple bent and put Netflix on the Apple TV.

You know what Apple's problem is? They can't partner with anyone because their CEO has delusions of Godhood.

That sounds silly. I don't think "delusions of Godhood" is the reason "they can't partner with anyone". Apple has partnered with a lot of content & service providers.

This boils down to a conflict of interest between Apple & Verizon. All companies have to work through those kind of issues.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #154 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIM View Post

Verizon needs Apple more than Apple needs them. Apple cant even meet demand for iPhone 4, but were supposed to believe theyre going to cave to Verizons crapware? Keep dreaming. Apple can stay on AT&T and choose other carriers and keep raking in more money than ever.

I'd like to think that, but I personally know or have hear people express an iPhone that works on Verizon (the network seems to have a lot of fans), so at this point, I conclude that it is in the interest of: Consumers, Apple & Verizon for a deal to be made.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #155 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Oh. So it's a fan site? A news site? Real journalism?

If I had not posted a single thing on this forum today, the conversation surly would have been along the lines of "I can't believe AI even mentions these Verizon rumors."

No, I think we would be talking about the "rumour" were you here, or not. Its a fan site. For people interested in a company, and their products. Android forums are for people interested in googles mobile OS.

Its not really going to give you any hints on how to invest, by the time something is reported here it is old news to investors.

we're here for the discussion.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
Reply
post #156 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

If you think that that is an Exclusive Contract, I have a bridge in the Gulf of Mexico to sell you.

I would suggest you remove the link. It really could make you look dumber than a door handle. IMO.

You can critcize the posts, but please do not insult the poster.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #157 of 222
Hmm... If it were up to me, I would have recommended Verizon give up on V-Cast in exchange for having a dual-mode (GSM and CDMA) radio. Indeed, as an international traveler, I like the idea of being able to use CDMA in the U.S. and GSM/EDGE/3G anywhere I else I travel in the world. Especially if I can get decent international rates via Vodafone affiliated networks.
post #158 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Business is about partnerships. And Apple flounders in this area. Even Jobs admitted that at the D-? conference with Bill Gates.

Hmm....Your claims....

1) In business, you need good partnerships to be successful. (I am assuming this is what you mean by "business is about partnerships")
2) Apple is not good at making partnerships.

Therefore, if that is true, Apple should be an extremely unsuccessful business.

Yet, Apple is one of the most successful businesses in the entire world (is there a single business success measure which they are not extremely high in?)

So your statements clearly contradict themselves. Which means that one of them has to be wrong. I agree with you that business is about partnerships, which is why I think your statement that Apple is not good at partnerships is complete BS. Which, basically undermines pretty much all your trolling on this board.
post #159 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cents View Post

Typical apple blunder? Apple looks like a blundering company to you? Utterly desperate? Apple looks desperate to you? Join us back here in reality.

I didn't say Apple was a blunder, I said this is a typical Apple blunder, one of the blunders that Apple sometimes goes through. And to answer your questions, yes Apple did go through its fair share of blunders.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #160 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Since you don't know anything about what happened, you can't make a statement as to why it did, or didn't. Many companies have expressed unhappiness about Verizon's requirements, but only Apple is willing to stand up to them. To you that's a bad thing, to almost everyone else, it's a good thing.

It's very possible that Apple would have allowed Verizon to put any app they wanted into the app store, as long as iPhone customers could download it only if they wanted it, and could delete it if not. From what we know, Verizon is requiring it on phones, and not allowing it to be removed. I can understand Apple not wanting to allow that. It would end the independence of the phone from carriers around the world, which is one of its biggest selling points.

IF this phone does come out on Verizon, we'll see what happened. Before then, it's just a guess.

At the same time, these companies who are expressing unhappiness with Verizon also make huge amount of money from Verizon's deals. What has happiness got to do with anything? Most people don't like their jobs.

To me, Verizon standing up to Apple --- and survive --- is like Harry Potter (the boy who faced you-know-who and survive). And right now, the major iphone carriers came to regret their iphone deals --- it's a trojan horse. To you Apple fans, it's a bad thing, but to the carriers, it is a good thing to see Verizon surviving without the iphone.

I would rather have GIN apps on the original 3G ev-do iphone on Verizon in July 2007, which would have allowed me to buy a one-day $3 Verizon Navigator than being able to buy the same one-day $3 AT&T Navigator 2 years later in July 2009. It's the same app, and I rather have it in 2007.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon, Apple quarreled over iPhone retail options, digital content