or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What Can Be Done To End Bullying In Schools and Colleges?

What Can Be Done To End Bullying In Schools and Colleges? - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Gee, all cases where the targets are DIFFERENT.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #42 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I disagree.

So you get a free pass for Prop 8 in the first place? While destruction of property is wrong, this is society lashing out AGAINST a bully.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

So you get a free pass for Prop 8 in the first place? While destruction of property is wrong, this is society lashing out AGAINST a bully.

Started another thread where we can take this argument @
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=113692
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #44 of 109
Quote:

Perfectly justified in your mind, no doubt.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #45 of 109
Nope, not justified. Society IS lashing out against the bullying of the Mormon church. However, two wrongs do not make a right. But just to be clear, Mormons are the bullies when it comes to prop 8.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #46 of 109
QED

and some extra make the reply long enough for the fscking filter
post #47 of 109
Quote:

Nope, not justified. Society IS lashing out against the bullying of the Mormon church. However, two wrongs do not make a right. But just to be clear, Mormons are the bullies when it comes to prop 8.

Donating to political causes + voting = bullying?

post #48 of 109
Aimed at discriminating against a group of people who never did anything to you to deserve your bullying.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #49 of 109
Quote:

Aimed at discriminating against a group of people who never did anything to you to deserve your bullying.

Started another thread on this subject:
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=113692
post #50 of 109
I know you did. I'm saying kids learn from their parents. It is unsurprising in today's society that people who are different are bullied. And when these adults are called on their actions, now all of a sudden the bullies play the victim card.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #51 of 109
Quote:

Aimed at defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

post #52 of 109
Thus discriminating yadda yadda yadda...bully more, Jazzy.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #53 of 109
If you say so, BR.

post #54 of 109
Some observers believe that today's media environment is desensitizing young people to the hurtful effects of their actions. The case of a Rutgers student death is renewing scrutiny of this issue.

By Stacy Teicher Khadaroo, Staff writer / October 1, 2010

Quote:
The story of Tyler Clementi is bringing to light the darker side of the pervasiveness of social media in young peoples lives. Its prompting renewed calls for everything from more specific antibullying education to stronger consequences for harmful uses of media technology.

Quote:
[C]an the new media itself, in part, be blamed for such cases?

Quote:
We are tempted to think that social-media technology drove the behavior, but as a truly ethical matter, the behavior has to be and should be considered human-driven, not technology-driven,

says Scott Foulkrod, a philosophy professor at Harrisburg University of Science and Technology in Pennsylvania. The school recently blocked the use of social media for a week to prompt discussions about its role in everyday life.

Other observers of youth culture and media culture believe the media environment including reality shows that use hidden cameras is desensitizing young people to the hurtful effects of their actions.

Quote:
There have been some studies that suggest that it [new media technology] does dissolve some of the human connections: It objectifies people,

says Maureen Costello, director of Teaching Tolerance, an education program based at the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala.

One recent University of Michigan study found that college students empathy declined by about 40 percent between 1979 and 2009, with the biggest drop-off occurring after 2000.

Were seeing more and more of this callous indifference, Ms. Aftab says. She doesnt want to paint a whole generation with a broad brush, because many young people are using social media only for good. But when malicious intent or even just a notion of entertainment is paired with the instant nature of Web-broadcasting technology, you can do it, and you get caught up in it, she says. Its that lack of time to contemplate the consequences.

Nina Montgomery, a freshman at Dartmouth who attended high school with Clementi in Ridgewood, N.J., says her generation of digital natives is getting bored and looking for ways to experiment with new technology. As a result, she believes, more cases as severe as this one at Rutgers will occur. I dont think people understand the great responsibility that comes with the power of the Internet, she says.

Quote:
According to school antibullying experts, its essential to appeal to bystanders. But if someone is watching a video on his or her personal device, that individual is a further step removed and may not even know if the images are real or staged.

Cyberspying and other forms of cyberbullying not only show a lapse in college students empathy, but also indicate that we need to work with them on their critical thinking skills, says Gwen Dungy, executive director of NASPA, a group of student-affairs administrators in Washington. Her group started the Enough Is Enough campaign in conjunction with K-12 educators in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, to stem social violence by helping students understand how to build a sense of community.

Quote:
Tolerance for differences, including homosexuality, should be promoted widely on college campuses, Ms. Dungy says.

Clementis story has rallied the gay community, with everyone from Ellen DeGeneres to former New Jersey governor Jim McGreevey speaking out in recent days.

We cant allow bullying, period, for any students, but we do need to bring up the LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] component. If you dont confront the reasons why people are being bullied, youve failed to fix that problem, says Paul Guequierre, deputy press secretary of the Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT advocacy group in Washington.

At least three younger teens killed themselves in September after experiencing homophobic bullying.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...udents-callous
post #55 of 109
Quote:

You've clearly gone off the deep end. Political participation is not bullying nor is voting.

Quote:

Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

This has to stop immediately before it spreads like a cancer.Punish these 2 people who thought it was a big joke to do this to this poor innocent victim for nothing. A precious and for filled life shortened for nothing.

How about we start first in these forums. If you don't want to speak out against the cyberbullying occurring in front of your nose, how do you expect kids to do so?

Quote:

I would contend that Mormons, in their religious infancy, were bullied because they were different. Now Mormons have grown up and are bullying gay people.

You contend whatever you want to justify how you mistreat others. "He's asking for it" is no different than a rapist claiming the hem line was too high.

Quote:

This is where I contend that you should grow a thicker skin and either stand by your beliefs or stop bullying others.

Couldn't this exact sentiment be claimed by anyone bullying someone who later harms themselves in desperation to escape from said bullying. It isn't like you've taken your actions and confined them to one thread or topic. It is classic bullying behavior.

BTW, I know nothing of bullying. When I was growing up, no one could figure out a single word that would rhyme with Nick.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #56 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

BTW, I know nothing of bullying. When I was growing up, no one could figure out a single word that would rhyme with Nick.

Is this an example of that famed Trumpy humour? Or maybe you just grew up under a Republican regime and the education wasn't quite up to snuff...

I think a bit of bullying can be character building - you should have gone to my school Nick, that would have instilled some moral fibre...we even still had fagging.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #57 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Is this an example of that famed Trumpy humour? Or maybe you just grew up under a Republican regime and the education wasn't quite up to snuff...

I think a bit of bullying can be character building - you should have gone to my school Nick, that would have instilled some moral fibre...we even still had fagging.

That was indeed humor.

You hit on the prime point Seg, which is what is it that causes the same action to be "character building" in one instance, but completely destructive and the cause of suicide in other instances.

The solution so often when causes or concerns come up is simply to remove the cause or concern. However, and this is often the cause of conservative thought, the law of unintended consequences takes effect.

post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

The problem is that this was not an isolated incident. Happens a lot in schools, colleges, in the work place etc. How do we stop it?

To stop this there is one word we have to learn called respect.There is none today. Everything is to liberated for people in this century.Bring back the respect we all lack and have some morality with it and maybe we can become a more civilized society once again.
post #59 of 109
I think there are far better ways to build character other than insults and cruel behavior.
post #60 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I think there are far better ways to build character other than insults and cruel behavior.

I agree however there is the reality that life doesn't just follow platitudes. When we want to build muscle, they have to push against resistance and fatigue, be torn down and rebuild. It is also true that when attempting to build mental toughness that you can't just sit in a comfort zone.

post #61 of 109
Quote:

I was thinking more that seeing as Society is weighted towards the rich and the conservative and seeing as their common traits are generally to keep certain classes downtrodden and exploited - often using violence or the threat of it - then it can be good to see through this illusion very early on in life and arm yourself against it.

This is the sort of character building I was thinking of - seeing through the bullshit basically. Or, more correctly, being exposed to the violence of the system's bullshit very early on.

That way there can be no falling under the spell of the illusion that brainwashes most of the sheep.

Unless you are the bully that is. Then you'll probably go far...
post #62 of 109
All bullies are conservatives, seg? That's a stretch, even for you.

post #63 of 109
Quote:

I was thinking more that seeing as Society is weighted towards the rich and the conservative and seeing as their common traits are generally to keep certain classes downtrodden and exploited - often using violence or the threat of it - then it can be good to see through this illusion very early on in life and arm yourself against it.

This is the sort of character building I was thinking of - seeing through the bullshit basically. Or, more correctly, being exposed to the violence of the system's bullshit very early on.

That way there can be no falling under the spell of the illusion that brainwashes most of the sheep.

Unless you are the bully that is. Then you'll probably go far...

QED. People posting in this thread use the "bullying" problem as a discussion point for their own politics and ignore the real problem at hand.

Maybe soon we'll learn how deregulation of financial market and oil industry encourages bullying?
post #64 of 109
Quote:

QED. People posting in this thread use the "bullying" problem as a discussion point for their own politics and ignore the real problem at hand.

Maybe soon we'll learn how deregulation of financial market and oil industry encourages bullying?

I thought bullying was exacerbated by Anthropogenic Global Warming!

post #65 of 109
Quote:

All bullies are conservatives, seg? That's a stretch, even for you.

Think about it.

What do people get bullied for being?

gay, black, mixed race, Muslim, poor etc...

Or

straight, white, Christian, rich...etc...

Ring any bells?
post #66 of 109
Quote:

Think about it.

What do people get bullied for being?

gay, black, mixed race, Muslim, poor etc...

Or

straight, white, Christian, rich...etc...

Ring any bells?

Perhaps that matches a nice caricature you've crafted. The reality is that short of physical violence, bullying is about making fun of someone and people ridicule and make fun of people for all manner of reasons.

post #67 of 109
Quote:

Perhaps that matches a nice caricature you've crafted. The reality is that short of physical violence, bullying is about making fun of someone and people ridicule and make fun of people for all manner of reasons.

Yes...the reasons in the first group.

We could put 'fat' in their too as society deems people who are over-weight as somehow subhuman - of course this is for financial reasons so they can leverage the 'beauty' aspect of being thin. This also has the advantage of keeping women downtrodden and fucked-up too...

Anyway, love to see your examples of straights, whites and rich kids being bullied by their counterparts.

I'm around for a while so you can take your time.
post #68 of 109
Quote:

We could put 'fat' in their too as society deems people who are over-weight as somehow subhuman - of course this is for financial reasons so they can leverage the 'beauty' aspect of being thin. This also has the advantage of keeping women downtrodden and fucked-up too...

Anyway, love to see your examples of straights, whites and rich kids being bullied by their counterparts.

'Ginger attacks' at Calabasas school linked to cyber-bullying
November 30, 2009

Quote:
What began as an effort by the animated TV show "South Park" to lampoon prejudice found a life of its own at a Calabasas middle school after a Facebook page inspired some students to attack redheaded 7th- and 8th-graders, officials said today.

Three boys have been booked for various crimes connected with the "ginger bashing" carried out Nov. 20 at A.E. Wright Middle School. The Facebook page had dubbed it "National Kick a Ginger Day."

Four girls and three boys were the victims of physical or verbal abuse because of their red hair, freckles and pale complexions. Detectives are still trying to determine how long each attack lasted, but one may have been up to a half-hour, officials said.

A. E. Wright Middle School is mostly upper class white Christian school located in Calabasas, CA mostly white upper-middle-upper class.

Quote:
CALABASAS -- Sheriff's officials say three boys detained in connection with at least seven attacks on red-haired students at a local middle school could be put in a diversion program rather than face a formal criminal complaint.

Two 12-year-old students and a 13-year-old student at A.E. Wright Middle School were arrested last month and released to the custody of their parents.

The 12-year-olds were booked on suspicion of battery on school property, and the 13-year-old boy was accused of threatening to inflict injury by means of electronic communication, also known as "cyber-bullying," said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the L.A. County Sheriff's Department.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office is still deciding whether to charge the students. The case was presented to a juvenile prosecutor on Monday morning, according to a district attorney spokesperson.

Whitmore says it's possible charges could be dropped, and the boys instead placed in the District Attorney's Juvenile Offender Intervention Network, which deals with nonviolent, first-time juvenile offenders in an out-of-court setting.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...0,999291.story
post #69 of 109
The above example is another classic example of my theory. White upper-middle class - ie Conservative - therefore the bullies were operating from this class.

Their chosen target is interesting - the origin of the prejudice against redheads are - quelle surprise - yet again, Christian and in keeping with the usual Right-wing/conservative prejudice.

There are three:

1) Islamic - hence 'anti Islamic' prejudice:

Quote:
Red is the preferred dyeing color in Islam. It is said that Muhammad used to dye his hair red using Henna.[70] Henna or Hina is a flowering plant which traditionally has been used to dye hair red. There are no side effects to this. Al-Bukhari related in his Sahih, from 'Uthman b. 'Abd-Allah b. Mawhab: "We went to Umm Salma, and she brought out for us some of the hair of the Messenger of Allah, and lo, it was dyed with henna and indigo."

2) Judeo-Christian:

Quote:
Judas Iscariot is also represented with red hair in Spanish culture

3) Christian again:

Quote:
Early artistic representations of Mary Magdalene usually depict her as having long flowing red hair, although a description of her hair color was never mentioned in the Bible,

So...redheads are associated with Muslims, Judas and a Prostitute. All Grade-A conservative bogeymen I'm sure you will agree.
post #70 of 109
One need to look no further than People of Walmart website to see that as a people we love to single out others and hold them up for ridicule. Is it any wonder we tolerate the same thing in our own kids?
post #71 of 109
Quote:

The above example is another classic example of my theory. White upper-middle class - ie Conservative - therefore the bullies were operating from this class.

Their chosen target is interesting - the origin of the prejudice against redheads are - quelle surprise - yet again, Christian and in keeping with the usual Right-wing/conservative prejudice.

There are three:

1) Islamic - hence 'anti Islamic' prejudice:

2) Judeo-Christian:

3) Christian again:

So...redheads are associated with Muslims, Judas and a Prostitute. All Grade-A conservative bogeymen I'm sure you will agree.

And your thoughts on african american kids being bullied for being "too white"? Or did you forget all about that?
post #72 of 109
Quote:

And your thoughts on african american kids being bullied for being "too white"? Or did you forget all about that?

Too white? Or not white enough?
post #73 of 109
Quote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/op...ntam.htmlOP-ED CONTRIBUTOR
Shades of Prejudice

By SHANKAR VEDANTAM
Published: January 18, 2010
Cambridge, Mass.

Quote:
Lighter-skinned Latinos in the United States make $5,000 more on average than darker-skinned Latinos. The education test-score gap between light-skinned and dark-skinned African-Americans is nearly as large as the gap between whites and blacks.

The Harvard neuroscientist Allen Counter has found that in Arizona, California and Texas, hundreds of Mexican-American women have suffered mercury poisoning as a result of the use of skin-whitening creams. In India, where I was born, a best-selling line of womens cosmetics called Fair and Lovely has recently been supplemented by a product aimed at men called Fair and Handsome.

This isnt racism, per se: its colorism, an unconscious prejudice that isnt focused on a single group like blacks so much as on blackness itself. Our brains, shaped by culture and history, create intricate caste hierarchies that privilege those who are physically and culturally whiter and punish those who are darker.

Colorism is an intraracial problem as well as an interracial problem. Racial minorities who are alert to white-black or white-brown issues often remain silent about a colorism that asks how black or how brown someone is within their own communities.

If colorism lives underground, its effects are very real. Darker-skinned African-American defendants are more than twice as likely to receive the death penalty as lighter-skinned African-American defendants for crimes of equivalent seriousness involving white victims. This was proven in rigorous, peer-reviewed research into hundreds of capital punishment-worthy cases by the Stanford psychologist Jennifer Eberhardt.

Take, for instance, two of Dr. Eberhadts murder cases, in Philadelphia, involving black defendants one light-skinned, the other dark. The lighter-skinned defendant, Arthur Hawthorne, ransacked a drug store for money and narcotics. The pharmacist had complied with every demand, yet Mr. Hawthorne shot him when he was lying face down. Mr. Hawthorne was independently identified as the killer by multiple witnesses, a family member and an accomplice.

The darker-skinned defendant, Ernest Porter, pleaded not guilty to the murder of a beautician, a crime that he was linked to only through a circuitous chain of evidence. A central witness later said that prosecutors forced him to finger Mr. Porter even though he was sure that he was the wrong man. Two people who provided an alibi for Mr. Porter were mysteriously never called to testify. During his trial, Mr. Porter revealed that the police had even gotten his name wrong his real name was Theodore Wilson but the court stuck to the wrong name in the interest of convenience.

Both men were convicted. But the lighter-skinned Mr. Hawthorne was given a life sentence, while the dark-skinned Mr. Porter has spent more than a quarter-century on Pennsylvanias death row.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/19/op...9vedantam.html
post #74 of 109
Quote:

How about a few simple media examples like...

South Park
Mean Girls
Napoleon Dynomite

just to name a few....also apparently you've never heard the term redneck, white trash or any things associated with them.

post #75 of 109
Quote:

Not white enough. White people are racisty racists. We should go bully them over it.
post #76 of 109
Quote:

South Park
Mean Girls
Napoleon Dynomite

just to name a few....also apparently you've never heard the term redneck, white trash or any things associated with them.

Or four eyes, pizza face, gimp or any of the other things kids use to pick on each other that aren't related to seg's political whipping boys.
post #77 of 109
Quote:

Not white enough. White people are racisty racists. We should go bully them over it.

Indeed. I find it fascinating when people speak out against bullying, then immediately justify bullying certain people for certain reasons.

Is it okay to bully someone if you think he's a bully?

post #78 of 109
Quote:

South Park
Mean Girls
Napoleon Dynomite

I don't recognize any of those terms you cite...though I believe South Park is a popular cartoon of some description.

I do know that terms such as you cite are value-laden - that is they are used by someone who feels themselves superior in a class sense.

The term 'redneck' for example would not be used by -say - someone who felt themselves inferior. It is therefore more than likely to be used by someone who believes themselves superior - ie a class above.

Which proves my theory....no-one goes round shouting 'aristocrat' or 'royalty' at Prine Charles do they? Why not? Because he is part of the group that do such things and define those lower to be err....lower...
post #79 of 109
Quote:

Indeed. I find it fascinating when people speak out against bullying, then immediately justify bullying certain people for certain reasons.

Is it okay to bully someone if you think he's a bully?

It is impossible to bully a bully. Smashing him over the head with a lead pipe for example would be assault but not bullying.

That's what the Right don't get - there ARE OTHER WAYS of doing things than the sole, sad solitary way that tis the only thing they can conceive of.
post #80 of 109
Seg is just too obtuse for this thread. I knew it would be a failure from the start.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What Can Be Done To End Bullying In Schools and Colleges?