or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What Can Be Done To End Bullying In Schools and Colleges?

What Can Be Done To End Bullying In Schools and Colleges? - Page 3

post #81 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Seg is just too obtuse for this thread. I knew it would be a failure from the start.

I think it is quite successful as far as getting a view into the modern "progressive" mindset.

And it's got some good entertainment value, too.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #82 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Seg is just too obtuse for this thread. I knew it would be a failure from the start.

It's not my fault - I was educated under Margaret Thatcher's slashing of the education system...
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #83 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

It's not my fault - I was educated under Margaret Thatcher's slashing of the education system...

After all, if no one is educated in a public system, no one is educated at all.

post #84 of 109
By Rich Phillips, CNN Senior Producer
October 12, 2010 9:36 a.m. EDT

Quote:
Michael was set on fire a year ago Tuesday following a dispute with three teenage friends over a DVD, $40 and a bicycle.

His arms and neck carry scars, and Michael said he's undergoing therapy because he's still bitter and angry.

"Yeah, I am a little bit," he acknowledged. "But I'm taking therapy to get rid of the anger and stuff."

He was burned over 65 percent of his body and spent more than two months at the University of Miami's J.M. Burn Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

"All I remember is having nightmares," Michael said.

He's no longer in physical therapy, and he's no longer taking medication. He said he wants to go to college and hopes to be an FBI agent.

His father said he's trying to keep the lines of communication open with his son.

"I tell him, 'Mike, anything ever bothers you, I'm always here. Talk to me, talk to your mother, talk to your grandmother,' " Michael Brewer Sr. said.

"He's got a lot of good friends now that he hangs around with," he added.

The three former friends who are accused of setting him on fire remain jailed. No trial date has been set.

Michael told CNN he'd like to deal with them himself.
"Yes, I would," he said.

"But it's over and done with. They're getting what they deserved," he said.

The three teens, Denver Jarvis, Mathew Bent, both 15, and Jesus Mendez, 16, have been charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder.

Sheriff's detectives said the attack on Michael started over a video game and a bicycle. They gave the following account: One of the boys, Bent, demanded $40 he said Michael owed him; when Michael didn't pay him, police said, Bent allegedly stole a bicycle belonging to Michael's father.

Michael fingered Bent to police, who arrested the teen. The next day, after Bent was released, the three teens found Michael and allegedly surrounded him. Police said witnesses told them his attackers called Michael a "snitch."

Detectives said witnesses told them Mendez used a lighter to set Michael on fire after Jarvis poured alcohol over him. Bent allegedly encouraged the attack.

Mendez later admitted his role to investigators, acknowledging that he made a "bad decision," according to an arrest transcript.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/12/....boy.birthday/

This might be considered an extreme case of bulling.
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
無心 The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders., Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit__Edward Abbey
post #85 of 109
At least one study shows a strong correlation between school size and violence. Not only that, it indicated a strong correlation between size and academic achievement. As is usually the case with such studies, the report recommends further research, but its initial conclusions seem clear: in almost all respects, smaller is better.

Many public schools are merging and consolidating in an effort to address the unsustainable burden of increasingly generous teacher and administrator salaries and benefits, even as their revenue sources diminish. This trend becomes even more disturbing in light of the study's findings.

It was conducted by a Rutgers University professor - the same university Mr. Clementi attended.

Rutgers is a big school.

School Size, Violence, Cost and Achievement: A Report of the Commission on Business Efficiency of the Public Schools
A is A
A is A
post #86 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post

At least one study shows a strong correlation between school size and violence. Not only that, it indicated a strong correlation between size and academic achievement. As is usually the case with such studies, the report recommends further research, but its initial conclusions seem clear: in almost all respects, smaller is better.

Many public schools are merging and consolidating in an effort to address the unsustainable burden of increasingly generous teacher and administrator salaries and benefits, even as their revenue sources diminish. This trend becomes even more disturbing in light of the study's findings.

It was conducted by a Rutgers University professor - the same university Mr. Clementi attended.

Rutgers is a big school.

School Size, Violence, Cost and Achievement: A Report of the Commission on Business Efficiency of the Public Schools

Glad that you referred to the report
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...05#post1730905
post #87 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

The problem is that this was not an isolated incident. Happens a lot in schools, colleges, in the work place etc. How do we stop it?

We have to be more rigid and have stricter laws in our states.When you catch some one bullying another person call the police and report it do not wait until it is to late.Stand up these bullies and eventually this will be easier to deal with. Psychologically most of these bullies are cowards inwardly and have to show off to their friends. Insecurity reigns with this type of person.
post #88 of 109
It's time to rethink our approach to bullying. Much of the advice weve been given is not only ineffective, but actually makes things worse. Heres what we should be teaching our kids instead.

By Patricia Kelley Criswell / October 12, 2010

Kalamazoo, Mich.
Quote:
The warm fuzziness of the first few weeks of school is cooling and the strength of the "bullying will not be tolerated" lectures is waning. Come October, social hierarchies emerge and, too often, bullying begins. Low self-esteem, a bad day, months of anguish, suicide the range of effects victims suffer is devastating. Parents, aware of the perennial pattern, hold their breath, hoping their child isn't targeted.

Bullying: It's been called a national epidemic and it's getting worse. It has been the focus of considerable attention lately as America looks at its widespread, even fatal, impact on youth. But more than media outcry, we need practical tools to combat bullying, empower children, and protect victims.

The problem is that much of the advice we were given when we were young is not only ineffective, it makes things worse.

It's time to rethink our approach.

Don't 'just ignore them'

Take, for example, those erroneous pearls of wisdom: "Just ignore them." Sure, there are times when doing nothing makes sense for example, if the bully is older or you're in an unsupervised area but overall, with repeated bullying, ignoring isn't an effective strategy. Bullying is about power, specifically the imbalance of power. If someone can silence you, that's pretty powerful.

Another misguided favorite: "Mind your own business; don't get involved." This condones bullying. It assumes the bully has so much power that it's useless to try to intervene. In fact, the opposite is true.

While 80 to 90 percent of children say it's unpleasant to watch bullying, only 11 percent intervene, according to a 2000 report on bullying by the LaMarsh Centre for Research on Violence and Conflict Resolution in Toronto.

Here's the kicker, though: When bystanders speak up, half of the time the bully backs down. Even when the behavior doesn't stop, its effect is deflated. As the number of bystanders who speak up increases, the amount of bullying will decrease.

Telling isn't tattling

The ever popular "don't be a tattletale" has sent another harmful message. When we stand by and watch others being hurt, and do nothing, that's somehow deemed a good decision. Instead, we need to repeatedly teach our children the difference between telling and tattling.

Tattling is meant to make someone else look bad; there's not a victim involved. Telling, or reporting, is done in the service of others; it's meant to help someone. It's a heroic thing to stand up for someone who's being hurt, and we need to treat it as such at home and at school.

'Just be nice' doesn't work

The advice to "just be nice" needs revisiting. Being kind is important, but what's crucial is setting boundaries. Doing so, without being mean, helps make a child "bullyproof."

For example, when a child is the target of a cruel remark, a brief response such as "Why would you say that?" takes the focus off the insult and places it back in the aggressor's lap, without bullying back. Saying something as simple as "Really?" or "Seriously?" can have the same effect. A bored-sounding "whatever," a confused "what?," or humor is often enough to derail an aggressive interaction.

Setting boundaries, building confidence

The strategy, then, is to pick a handful of comebacks and practice them at home with your child. By role-playing potential scenarios, you increase the chances of your child being able to set boundaries at school. This also lets your child know you understand the realities of bully behavior. This critical interaction communicates your expectations and feelings about the topic, and gives your child a conversation to refer back to if problems arise.

Boundary-setting statements in school may also activate the bully's (and the bystander's) conscience, which is often enough to facilitate a change. Just as important, it sends a confident message to bullies, bystanders, and victims alike.

If we empower our children to stand up for themselves and their friends they're less likely to be victims and more likely to maintain a balance of power, allowing their confidence to grow.

Patricia Kelley Criswell, a licensed master social worker, is a recognized expert on tween girls and is an instructor at Western Michigan University's School of Social Work. She is alsohttp://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/1012/Bullying-The-advice-you-got-is-wrong.-Here-s-what-really-works an author and consultant with American Girl Publishing.

Some sites referenced in article:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0512/p01s03-ussc.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...and-widespread

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...4s01-legn.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...-tipping-point

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...school-climate

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/04...me-Calling-Day

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0817/p15s02-legn.html
post #89 of 109
Church Responds to HRC Petition

Quote:
My name is Michael Otterson. I am here representing the leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to address the matter of the petition presented today by the Human Rights Campaign.

While we disagree with the Human Rights Campaign on many fundamentals, we also share some common ground. This past week we have all witnessed tragic deaths across the country as a result of bullying or intimidation of gay young men. We join our voice with others in unreserved condemnation of acts of cruelty or attempts to belittle or mock any group or individual that is different – whether those differences arise from race, religion, mental challenges, social status, sexual orientation or for any other reason. Such actions simply have no place in our society.

This Church has felt the bitter sting of persecution and marginalization early in our history, when we were too few in numbers to adequately protect ourselves and when society’s leaders often seemed disinclined to help. Our parents, young adults, teens and children should therefore, of all people, be especially sensitive to the vulnerable in society and be willing to speak out against bullying or intimidation whenever it occurs, including unkindness toward those who are attracted to others of the same sex. This is particularly so in our own Latter-day Saint congregations. Each Latter-day Saint family and individual should carefully consider whether their attitudes and actions toward others properly reflect Jesus Christ’s second great commandment - to love one another.

As a church, our doctrinal position is clear: any sexual activity outside of marriage is wrong, and we define marriage as between a man and a woman. However, that should never, ever be used as justification for unkindness. Jesus Christ, whom we follow, was clear in His condemnation of sexual immorality, but never cruel. His interest was always to lift the individual, never to tear down.

Further, while the Church is strongly on the record as opposing same-sex marriage, it has openly supported other rights for gays and lesbians such as protections in housing or employment.

The Church’s doctrine is based on love. We believe that our purpose in life is to learn, grow and develop, and that God’s unreserved love enables each of us to reach our potential. None of us is limited by our feelings or inclinations. Ultimately, we are free to act for ourselves.

The Church recognizes that those of its members who are attracted to others of the same sex experience deep emotional, social and physical feelings. The Church distinguishes between feelings or inclinations on the one hand and behavior on the other. It’s not a sin to have feelings, only in yielding to temptation.

There is no question that this is difficult, but Church leaders and members are available to help lift, support and encourage fellow members who wish to follow Church doctrine. Their struggle is our struggle. Those in the Church who are attracted to someone of the same sex but stay faithful to the Church’s teachings can be happy during this life and perform meaningful service in the Church. They can enjoy full fellowship with other Church members, including attending and serving in temples, and ultimately receive all the blessings afforded to those who live the commandments of God.

Obviously, some will disagree with us. We hope that any disagreement will be based on a full understanding of our position and not on distortion or selective interpretation. The Church will continue to speak out to ensure its position is accurately understood.

God’s universal fatherhood and love charges each of us with an innate and reverent acknowledgement of our shared human dignity. We are to love one another. We are to treat each other with respect as brothers and sisters and fellow children of God, no matter how much we may differ from one another.

We hope and firmly believe that within this community, and in others, kindness, persuasion and goodwill can prevail.

post #90 of 109
NYT article backs up most of what I thought about bullying. Kids will make up any excuse to be nasty. It's up to us to help them not do that.

The Playground Gets Even Tougher
post #91 of 109
Quote:

It's time to rethink our approach to bullying. Much of the advice weve been given is not only ineffective, but actually makes things worse. Heres what we should be teaching our kids instead.

By Patricia Kelley Criswell / October 12, 2010

Kalamazoo, Mich.

Some sites referenced in article:

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0512/p01s03-ussc.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...and-widespread

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...4s01-legn.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Educati...-tipping-point

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society...school-climate

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/04...me-Calling-Day

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0817/p15s02-legn.html

Nice links FT!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #92 of 109
post #93 of 109
Quote:

Indeed.

post #94 of 109

post #95 of 109

Chinese Teen's Suicide Blamed on Hair Length Bullying
by Erin Donnelly (Subscribe to Erin Donnelly's posts)
Posted Oct 13th 2010 at 1:55PM

Quote:
Did a school's strict dress code push a 13-year-old girl to suicide?

That's what the parents of one student in China's Shandong Province are saying, claiming that constant complaints that their daughter's long hair violated the school dress code caused her to kill herself by drinking an entire bottle of pesticide, Shanghai Daily reports.

The seventh-grader, whose last name was Zhang, first ran away from home in September after her teacher, Zhou Malong, allegedly kicked her and another student out of class for having overly long hair, according to the paper.

After Zhang's father reportedly found her hiding at a supermarket, he took her to get a haircut.

But the girl was reportedly told that her hair was still too long. She told her parents that when she asked her teacher what cut was most appropriate, he was vague and then beat her as punishment.

Though Zhang's father contends that her hair was shorter than that of several other students, the girl reportedly underwent two more haircuts, leaving her with bangs that stopped above the eyebrows and locks that didn't reach her jaw line, Shanghai Daily reports.

Yet the shorn student was once again sent home from school last Saturday. Her parents tell the paper that Zhou texted to check on her later that evening, then turned off his cell phone.

Zhang killed herself later that night.

Now the girls' parents are accusing the school -- which has yet to comment -- of enforcing an overly rigid dress code and engaging in teacher bullying.

More and more schools are cracking down on what their students wear -- StyleList has recently reported on schools banning tight pants, jeggings, and hoodies -- but the story of Zhang suggests that appearance-based regulations may have a darker side.

Quote:
"While one of the benefits of dress codes is that they create a level playing field for kids who may not be able to afford the latest and greatest fashions, they also eliminate the possibility of any self-expression, making some children feel they can't be themselves," Susan Stiffelman, family therapist and sister site ParentDish's "AdviceMama," tells StyleList.

The girl's age and teen insecurities may have also amplified the school's negative comments, Stiffelman says.

Quote:
"Teen girls are painfully sensitive of how they appear to others and whether they fit in," the "Passionate Parenting" columnist and "Parenting Without Power Struggles" author tells us.

Quote:
"These teachers committed an abhorrent act by putting down this child, not to mention the impossibility they created for her by not clearly defining what they wanted or needed her hair to look like so that she could comply."

The story also has parallels to the recent "bullicides" of Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi and 15-year-old Massachusetts high school student Phoebe Prince, though in those cases the bullying was carried out by classmates rather than school officials, the latter situation known as "teacher bullying."

Quote:
"Strict codes of dress are not always a problem for teens especially when everyone else must adhere to them," Judith M. Kuczynski of Bully Police tells us.

Quote:
"The problem comes when the code is applied to favor certain students and used to ridicule or humiliate a few. The child has nowhere to turn and the only way out of the situation is to remove themselves."

Quote:
"Casual comments made by teachers can be taken to heart by sensitive teenagers, even if they are meant as throwaway remarks," Liz Carnell of anti-bullying organization Bullying UK tells StyleList.

Quote:
"It isn't always easy to work out if bullying is taking place or if there is a clash of personality between a teacher trying to enforce a discipline code or trying to get a pupil to produce better work. Sometimes this pressure can be interpreted as bullying."

Carnell advises that parents who suspect that their child is being bullied by teachers should talk to the parents of their child's friends, who may have witnessed similar incidents.

Quote:
"After speaking to other parents, the best way to resolve a problem is to make a complaint to the head teacher [principal] and if that isn't successful, to the school governors [school board]," she says.

Quote:
"It's also helpful to keep a diary of incidents together with a note of who else was present and witnessed remarks so that there is something to show the head teacher."

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/10/13/...r-dress-code//
post #96 of 109
post #97 of 109
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...-better-videos

By Liz Goodwin

Quote:
Joel Burns, a city councilman in Fort Worth, Texas, has released a moving message to gay teens that their lives will get better, in the latest viral video to join writer Dan Savage's "It Gets Better" project. The clip, which has netted nearly half a million views, features a speech Burns delivered before the Fort Worth City Council. After its adoption in the "It Gets Better" campaign, it has won wide plaudits, with the webzine Salon.com, for instance, hailing it as a highlight of the "Year in Sanity," noting that "during a routine meeting, a Fort Worth public official gives an awesome, emotional speech to gay teens."

Quote:
Burns describes his childhood growing up in the Fort Worth suburb of Crowley as an awkward "band dork" with a cowboy dad and then told a story he said he had never told anyone before.

Quote:
One day when I was in the ninth grade I was cornered by some older kids who roughed me up. They said that I was a faggot, and that I should die and go to hell where I belonged. That erupted the fear that I had kept pushed down, that what I was beginning to feel on the inside must somehow be showing on the outside. ... There must be something very wrong with me, I thought. Something I could never let my family or anyone else know.
post #98 of 109
06:00 AEST Wed Oct 20 2010
By ninemsn staff

Quote:
A six-year-old Muslim girl has been banned from a Darwin school bus after she pulled a boy's pants down after he repeatedly teased her about her hijab.

Iran Ghavami was given a five day ban from Buslink after she sought revenge on the seven-year-old boy, who had been allegedly bullying her and telling her to take off the headscarf, the NT News reported.

The teasing made her
Quote:
"sad and angry at the same time"

, motivating the Year One girl to take revenge.

The ban means Iran will be unable to get to her primary school, 30km away from their home in the NT town of Marrakai.

Her mother Lorraine Gerassimopoulos said the ban was a bit harsh for a six-year-old.

Quote:
"We would have preferred a warning so we could have sat down and talked about this incident but they are stopping her from going to school," she said.

Buslink defended the five-day ban, saying it complied with the Territory's Code of Conduct for School bus travel.

The company did not say if the boy had also faced a ban.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...n-bullys-pants
post #99 of 109
post #100 of 109
By Ric Ward, CNN
October 22, 2010

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- An anti-bullying video message from President Barack Obama is symbolic, the founder of the "It Gets Better" project said Friday, but the president "has the power to do more."
"The administration does say all the right things, but we don't see the action to back up these words," Dan Savage told CNN's "American Morning."
Obama taped the message in the wake of several recent suicides by young people who were being bullied or taunted for being gay. The White House released the video, which appears on the website itgetsbetterproject.com, late Thursday night.
"We've got to dispel this myth that bullying is just a normal rite of passage, that it's some inevitable part of growing up. It's not," Obama says.
Savage, who's also a nationally syndicated columnist, said he hopes the message "serves as a wake-up call" to bullies.
"We finally have a reckoning about the hate rhetoric that sloshes around the culture directed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender adults and children," Savage added.
"You are not alone," the president says in the taped message. "You did not do anything wrong. You didn't do anything to deserve being bullied and there is a whole world waiting for you filled with possibilities. If you ever feel like, because of bullying, because of what people are saying that you're getting down on yourself, you've got to make sure to reach out to people you trust -- whether it's your parents, teachers, people who you know care about you just the way you are, you've got to reach out to them. Don't feel like you're in this by yourself. Things will get better and more than that -- in time you're going to see that your differences are a source of pride and a source of strength.
"As a nation, we're founded on the belief that all of us are equal and each of us deserves the freedom to pursue our own version of happiness," Obama says in the three-minute video.
While praising the symbolic importance of the president's message, Savage also called for the Obama administration to stop appealing court rulings against the "don't ask, don't tell" rule that does not allow gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military.
He said Obama should honor the promises he made to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community when he ran for president.
Obama's message comes less than a month after 18-year-old Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi committed suicide after a surreptitiously taped encounter between him and another man was posted on the internet.
Savage said he was grateful for the president's support, particularly at this time.
"Letting them know there is nothing wrong with them, that there is something wrong with the bulliers, is highly powerful," Savage said.
Savage founded the "It Gets Better Project" in September as a nationwide suicide prevention and anti-bullying effort. According to the group's website, the project is a way for supporters to tell youth who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, known commonly as LGBT, that "it gets better."
The website contains video messages submitted by adults telling about growing up gay and telling gay youth that "it gets better." There are now some 2,000 videos on the site as well as on YouTube. The project announced this week it has received 10 million views.
According to the website, nine of 10 LGBT students have experienced harassment at school and more than a third have attempted suicide.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also recently taped a video for the campaign.
Clinton says on the tape she was "terribly saddened" by the suicides of young people who were bullied because they were gay or thought to be gay.
"I have a message for you," she says. "First of all, hang in there and ask for help. Your life is so important to your family, your friends and to your country. And there's so much waiting for you, both personally and professionally. There are so many opportunities to develop your talents and make your contributions."
Clinton has been in the forefront of the Obama administration's efforts to expand rights for gay and lesbian government employees. She instituted equal benefits for same-sex partners of State Department employees, a move that encouraged Obama to authorize such benefits for gay men and lesbians throughout the federal government.
The State Department also has made it easier for transgendered people to change their passports and, for the first time, the agency's "equal opportunity statement" includes gender identity and sexual preference.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS...bama.bullying/

Obama Speaks Out
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS...bama.bullying/
post #101 of 109

post #102 of 109
By Rich Phillips, CNN Senior Producer
October 12, 2010 9:36 a.m. EDT

Quote:
Michael was set on fire a year ago Tuesday following a dispute with three teenage friends over a DVD, $40 and a bicycle.......

He was burned over 65 percent of his body and spent more than two months at the University of Miami's J.M. Burn Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital....

The three former friends who are accused of setting him on fire remain jailed. No trial date has been set....

The three teens, Denver Jarvis, Mathew Bent, both 15, and Jesus Mendez, 16, have been charged as adults with attempted second-degree murder.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/12/....boy.birthday/

Update:

Florida teens charged with setting boy on fire reject plea deal
By Rich Phillips, CNN
October 23, 2010 10:08 a.m. EDT

Quote:
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (CNN) -- Lawyers representing three teenagers suspected of setting another boy on fire rejected plea deals Friday.

For the first time in more than a year, Michael Brewer faced his three former friends, who, one by one, walked into court wearing orange jumpsuits and shackles.

The three teens -- Denver Jarvis and Mathew Bent, both now 16, and Jesus Mendez, now 17 -- have been charged as adults with second-degree attempted murder.

Jarvis and Bent could each face prison sentences between six and 30 years. Mendez could face up to 50 years in prison.

In court, prosecutors revealed that in exchange for guilty pleas, they had been willing to offer the defendants reduced sentences.

Maria Schneider, the state prosecutor told Judge Jeffrey Levenson that the state offered Jarvis and Bent 10 years in the Florida State Prison System and 10 years probation. Mendez was offered 15 years in prison, along with 10 years probation, she said. Mendez has admitted using the lighter that set Brewer ablaze.

His attorney told the court that prosecutors had originally offered her client 10 years in prison, not 15.

"We're not doing anything today, your honor," said Mendez's attorney, Melissa Zelniker-Presser.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/22/...een/index.html
post #103 of 109
by BARBARA BRADLEY HAGERTY
October 26, 2010

Quote:
The Department of Education sent a letter to schools, colleges and universities Tuesday warning them that failing to stop bullying could violate federal anti-discrimination laws. The letter comes amid growing concern that there may be a religious undercurrent to the harassment of teens who are seen as gay.

Consider Justin Anderson, who graduated from Blaine High School outside Minneapolis last year. He says his teenage years were a living hell. From sixth grade on, he heard the same taunts.

Quote:
"People say things like, 'Fags should just disappear so we don't have to deal with them anymore'; and, 'Fags are disgusting and sinful,' " he told the Anoka-Hennepin School Board. "And still, there was no one intervening. I began to feel so worthless and ashamed and unloved that I began to think about taking my life."

Anderson told his story at a public hearing last month a hearing convened because in the past year, the district has seen a spate of student suicides. Four of those suicides have been linked to anti-gay bullying.

Justin Anderson survived. Justin Aaberg did not. Aaberg, 15, loved the cello, both playing and composing numbers like "Incinerate," which he posted on YouTube. Justin was openly gay. He had plenty of friends, but he was repeatedly bullied in his school. In July, his mother, Tammy, found her teenage son hanging from his bed frame.

Quote:
"They were calling him, 'Faggot, you're gay,' " she recalls. " 'The Bible says that you're going to burn hell.' 'God doesn't love you.' Things like that."

Neutrality Policy

Tammy Aaberg says the school never called her, even after her son was physically assaulted. She was furious at first, but then began to understand why.

Quote:
"A lot of teachers do care and do want to do something, but they're afraid to lose their job if they step in and they're not neutral," she says.

Aaberg says teachers felt they couldn't get involved even when her son was bullied because of the school district's "neutrality policy," which prohibits employees from taking sides on matters regarding sexual orientation. The district says the policy is meant to apply to the curriculum. But teachers say it's so broadly written that they're loath to intervene even when they hear anti-gay slurs.

Quote:
"There is no confusion on this," says Barb Anderson, who works for the Minnesota Family Council, an evangelical group. "Any teacher can stop bullying in its tracks and should."

Anderson says she deplores bullying. But she wants to keep the neutrality policy because she says that controversial topics like sexual orientation should be taught in the home or church not in school. And she believes that changing the policy to allow such discussions is a ploy to normalize homosexuality for kids.

Quote:
"It becomes homosexual advocacy when you allow this curriculum to come in under the guise of anti-bullying," she says.

Day Of Truth

Anderson says she's already seen that happen in nearby Minneapolis, where she says the curricula, including books such as King & King and Heather Has Two Mommies, are teaching kids that homosexuality is acceptable and the Bible is wrong. And her arguments are echoing across the country. Conservative religious groups such as Focus on the Family want to stop what they see as an attempt by gay rights organizations to get a foothold in public schools. Tony Perkins, president of the evangelical Family Research Council, says gay activists are exploiting the concern over bullying and twisting the facts.

Quote:
"There's no correlation between inacceptance of homosexuality and depression and suicide," he says.

Rather, Perkins says, there is another factor that leads kids to kill themselves.

Quote:
"These young people who identify as gay or lesbian, we know from the social science that they have a higher propensity to depression or suicide because of that internal conflict," he says.

Homosexuality is "abnormal," he says, and kids know it, which leads them to despair. That's why he wants to confront gay activism in public schools. For example, his group supports the Day of Truth, when Christian high-schoolers make their case that homosexuality is a sin.

But Warren Throckmorton, an evangelical who teaches psychology at Grove City College in Pennsylvania, says there is a problem with this argument: Many of the kids who commit suicide aren't gay.

Quote:
"The common element is not gay identification," he says. "The common element is anti-gay harassment. And so it isn't a matter of them being gay and unhappy. It's a matter of others tormenting them with gay slurs."

Throckmorton says a growing number of Christian conservatives are questioning the hard-line theological approach. He has created a curriculum called "Golden Rule Pledge," which can be used by churches to prevent bullying.

'Biblical Tolerance And Grace'

Albert Mohler at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., criticized Christian conservatives for "homophobia" and their "glib assurances that gay persons simply choose to be gay." And earlier this month, Exodus International a group that believes people can be freed from homosexuality through Jesus Christ pulled its support for the Day of Truth. In an e-mail, Exodus President Alan Chambers says he now believes it is better for Christians' kids to show "biblical tolerance and grace" than to condemn.

Sirdeaner Walker, a Christian whose 11-year-old son, Carl, committed suicide last year, epitomizes that shift. Walker has joined the board of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, which, she says, was the first group to reach out to her after her son's suicide. Walker says her family tragedy has prompted her to push for new guidelines for schools to stop and report bullying, to talk about the problem of teen suicide on shows like Oprah, and to lobby President Obama on the issue. Walker says she's doing God's work.

Quote:
"This has not decreased my faith; it's increased my faith," she says. "I know that whatever the enemy means for evil, God will turn it around for good."

And she hopes that because of this work, another mother, Christian or otherwise, will be spared from having to bury her child.

And yet, despite the shifting views and alliances, there is an ongoing dilemma: How do parents and schools protect vulnerable kids without turning schools into a battleground for the culture wars?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=130837802
post #104 of 109
2 students charged after classmate's suicide withdraw from Rutgers

Quote:
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. Two Rutgers University freshmen, accused of secretly broadcasting a classmate's sexual encounter online, have withdrawn from the school. The classmate later committed suicide.

Attorney Steven Altman says that means Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei will not face university disciplinary hearings.

I speculate the two cretins were given a choice: withdraw from the university, or be expelled.

Criminal charges against them sound good, but they may not stick. They will have a much harder time defending themselves against a civil action that I hope Mr. Clementi's parents will bring.

These two were adults. Actions have consequences.
A is A
A is A
post #105 of 109
In School Efforts to End Bullying, Some See Agenda
By ERIK ECKHOLM
Published: November 6, 2010

Quote:
HELENA, Mont. Alarmed by evidence that gay and lesbian students are common victims of schoolyard bullies, many school districts are bolstering their antiharassment rules with early lessons in tolerance, explaining that some children have two moms or will grow up to love members of the same sex.

But such efforts to teach acceptance of homosexuality, which have gained urgency after several well-publicized suicides by gay teenagers, are provoking new culture wars in some communities.

Angry parents and religious critics, while agreeing that schoolyard harassment should be stopped, charge that liberals and gay rights groups are using the antibullying banner to pursue a hidden homosexual agenda, implicitly endorsing, for example, same-sex marriage.

While nearly all states require schools to have rules against harassment, only 10 require them to explicitly outlaw bullying related to sexual orientation. Rights groups including the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, based in New York, are promoting a federal safe schools act to make this a universal requirement, although passage is not likely any time soon.
post #106 of 109
Fighting Bullying With Babies
By DAVID BORNSTEIN
November 8, 2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Imagine there was a cure for meanness. Well, maybe there is. Lately, the issue of bullying has been in the news, sparked by the suicide of Tyler Clementi, a gay college student who was a victim of cyber-bullying, and by a widely circulated New York Times article that focused on mean girl bullying in kindergarten. The federal government has identified bullying as a national problem. In August, it organized the first-ever Bullying Prevention Summit, and it is now rolling out an anti-bullying campaign aimed at 5- to 8-year old children. This past month the Department of Education released a guidance letter to schools, colleges and universities to take bullying seriously, or face potential legal consequences.

......[please go to article for more.]
post #107 of 109
Anti-bullying program works, schools say

Quote:
The students got involved because a popular, internationally used anti-bullying program had been introduced that day at the North Penn School District's Pennbrook Middle School in Upper Gwynedd. The children were being taught that bystanders who witness bullying should help the victim.

That's a key principle of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program, used by dozens of schools in the Philadelphia area and hundreds throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Many schools say it has made a difference.....

Started in Norway in the 1970s, the Olweus (pronounced Ol-VEY-us) program is a comprehensive, schoolwide approach, backed up by studies that show it is effective when thoroughly implemented.

Its key components are:

Training the entire school staff, all students, and parents to recognize and intervene in bullying.

Surveying students anonymously to find out where and how bullying is occurring.

Establishing rules and consequences, a reporting system, and enforcement.

Conducting frequent classroom discussions of bullying and building positive relationships among students....

Websites on Bullying

www.stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov/kids

www.njbullying.org

www.center-school.org/ bullyingprevention
post #108 of 109
NJ Anti-Bullying Bill Named for Student

Quote:
Lawmakers from both the Senate and the House of Representatives have taken action to address anti-gay bullying targeting students. A bill introduced by Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, the Tyler Clementi Higher Education Anti-Harassment Act, would make it mandatory for colleges to adopt anti-harassment policies. In the House, Rep. Rush Holt (D-N.J.) sponsored a bill with the same language, the Associated Press reported on Nov. 18. The legislation would apply to all colleges and universities that receive funds from the federal government.

"While there is no way to eliminate the cruelty that some students choose to inflict on their peers, there should be a clear code of conduct that prohibits harassment," Lautenberg said. Added the senator, "The tragic impact of bullying on college campuses has damaged too many young adults, and it is time for our college to put policies on the books that would protect students from harassment," reported Wyckoff Patch on Nov. 19.....

post #109 of 109
Sometimes a little intervention and education will help stem bullying in schools.

Anti-bullying program quashes playground gossip

Quote:
The scientists taught gossipy Seattle grade-school kids empathy and other life skills in a three-month anti-bullying program -- and found that the kids in their sample bad-mouthed fellow students about 70 percent less than before they went through the program. The research was recently published in the School Psychology Review. (Children who did not spread malicious gossip before the program continued on as good sports after the anti-bullying lessons.)

Main source:
School Psychology Review, Vol. 39, #4
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › What Can Be Done To End Bullying In Schools and Colleges?