or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple forces Meizu to halt sales of iPhone-lookalike

Apple forces Meizu to halt sales of iPhone-lookalike - Page 2

post #41 of 67
-withdrawn post, whoops, Bageljoey already covered this--
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #42 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Back in the mid 1990's I worked for a company that did business in mainland China. People would come back with copies of software that retailed for thousands of dollars, yet the street cost in China was $50.00. It was amazing. And the copies worked. So I am not surprised that there are good. Knock off phones in China.

Much easier to copy software than hardware. Digital media can be copied exactly and at the speed of light. A little minor tweeking of the splash screen with a new title and you're good to go. Hardware can be copied too, but requires a lot more effort and investment.
post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i agree. its like the old 'windows copied apple' from years ago. never once sat down at a windows os machine and mistook it for an apple. same with an android phone.

Android is a rather *bad* copy of iOS and Windows is a rather *bad* copy of the Mac, but that doesn't mean they aren't copies all the same.

Before the Mac, well Windows didn't even exist. Before OS-X Windows was nothing like it, immediately afterwards, we get Windows 95 which copied a lot of the ideas. Eventually it evolves into Windows 7 which lifts pretty much every idea OS-X ever had. Before iOS devices, Android looked like Blackberry, immediately after iPhone debuts, it morphs into something with multi-touch, capacitive screens, physics scrolling and pretty much every other innovation iOS ever introduced.

Sure, only a fool would sit down at a Windows computer and mistake it for a Mac, and only a fool couldn't see the difference between Android and iOS, but they are still most definitely copies of the ideas that originated out of Infinite Loop. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous IMO. In each case, Apple was first, Apple was original, and the others followed by implementing slightly different versions of their ideas.
post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Let's not forget that the West did not exactly pay them royalties for paper, gunpowder, ceramics, Delft-ware, noodles (pasta), etc.

They must have had very high respect for the Chinese back then!

LOL... I have Chinese friends who keep talking about gunpowder and noodles being copied by the West. Yeah that's sooo 16th Century. Try still cherish that technology. Since then, the West has moved on to bigger technologies like semiconductors & nuclear fission.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Android is a rather *bad* copy of iOS and Windows is a rather *bad* copy of the Mac, but that doesn't mean they aren't copies all the same.

Before the Mac, well Windows didn't even exist. Before OS-X Windows was nothing like it, immediately afterwards, we get Windows 95 which copied a lot of the ideas. Eventually it evolves into Windows 7 which lifts pretty much every idea OS-X ever had. Before iOS devices, Android looked like Blackberry, immediately after iPhone debuts, it morphs into something with multi-touch, capacitive screens, physics scrolling and pretty much every other innovation iOS ever introduced.

Sure, only a fool would sit down at a Windows computer and mistake it for a Mac, and only a fool couldn't see the difference between Android and iOS, but they are still most definitely copies of the ideas that originated out of Infinite Loop. To argue otherwise is just ridiculous IMO. In each case, Apple was first, Apple was original, and the others followed by implementing slightly different versions of their ideas.

Apple was not first nor original. The Lisa and Mac were blatant coppies of Xerox's internal computers. Mac OSX is an evolved form of AT&T's UNIX OS from 4 decades ago, with a GUI that is a copy of their own Xerox based one and various earlier UNIX GUI's. Safari is a copy of Mosaic, Netscape and IE, and when it comes to the iPhone, mobile safari is an impoved version of the mobile browser, something Microsoft had had in some form for over a decade. Even the iPod was a copy of earlier MP3 players.

Apple's success is from taking other peoples ideas and doing something better with them. They are no more or less original than MS, Google, or a ton of other tech companies.

So what if anything significant did Apple do FIRST?
post #46 of 67
It’s amazing how a post can have so much wrong with it that you don’t know where to begin in setting them straight.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Apple was not first nor original. The Lisa and Mac were blatant coppies of Xerox's internal computers. Mac OSX is an evolved form of AT&T's UNIX OS from 4 decades ago, with a GUI that is a copy of their own Xerox based one and various earlier UNIX GUI's. Safari is a copy of Mosaic, Netscape and IE, and when it comes to the iPhone, mobile safari is an impoved version of the mobile browser, something Microsoft had had in some form for over a decade. Even the iPod was a copy of earlier MP3 players.

Apple's success is from taking other peoples ideas and doing something better with them. They are no more or less original than MS, Google, or a ton of other tech companies.

i don't agree with that. while apple may not have originated every idea they do seem to take an idea and go their own way with it. and ms has always played catch-up. its they way they operate.

But jobs does seem to think that he should own a lot of 'ideas' that he clearly didn't come up with himself. lol
He didn't work some magic and dream up the Mac. He was kicked off the lisa team and then bullied his way around/took control of someone elses idea/project called 'macintosh'.
post #48 of 67
Quote:

Let's not forget that the West did not exactly pay them royalties for paper, gunpowder, ceramics, Delft-ware, noodles (pasta), etc.

Who is "the West" and I don't think copywrite even existed back then.

As I said though this thing looks nothing like the iPhone. I think Evo or Droid look more like iPhone then M8. I guess the button has a square looking M in it, but that's about it.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #49 of 67
Quote:

...Before the Mac, well Windows didn't even exist. Before OS-X Windows was nothing like it, immediately afterwards, we get Windows 95 which copied a lot of the ideas...

Mac OS X came in 1999, four years after Windows 95. In 1995, Apple still have not bought NeXT, the company that developed the bases for Mac OS X. How did Windows 95 copy ideas from the future?

post #50 of 67
That's what you get for bluntly copying apple. And that CEO shield not be a bit surprised! D-Bag! I understand BlackBerry and Android are all "inspired" and "borrow" everything apple creates but stealing the whole phone, its business structure is just low.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #51 of 67
The copies started LONG before this phone. I'd say the copying began about the time EVERY phone became a touch screen. Sorry Mr. Wong. Honestly, let's try and show a little more creativity, k?
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
Always remember..wherever you go, there you are.
post #52 of 67
Quote:

APPLE was the first to do it well.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
post #53 of 67
In India there are lots and lots of lookalikes of iPhone. They are even shown on TV by Home shopping networks...it would be difficult for Apple to stop them all over the world.
post #54 of 67
Quote:

i agree. its like the old 'windows copied apple' from years ago. never once sat down at a windows os machine and mistook it for an apple. same with an android phone.

That's why there is copying and blatant copying. Key word here is copying.

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #55 of 67
Quote:

You shoud take some history and common sense lessons, because you have no idea what you are talking about.

post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

But apple has not pushed enough into this market

This.
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Its the number of cellular customers a country has but how many purchases a company can realistically gain from that country. it seems to me that China has a lot more potential customers with a less hurdles now. They manufacturer the phones there, they have 2 stores and they have the largest single carrier in the world with 570 million subs practically begging for the iPhone.

On top of that, Indias largest carrier, Bharti Airtel, only has EDGE data as far as I tell and is smaller than Chinas 2nd largest carrier. Apples official partners in India are about on part with China Unicom, but I still dont think either has any real UMTS network and from the last time I was there the prices were outrageous for anytime non-Indian. Even a Nokia phone cost $900 USD when i could get it elsewhere for half that price. The iPhone hadnt gotten there yet hence my lack of a direct comparison.

Im not saying India should be ignored, and its not being ignored as there are two carriers officially selling the iPhone, but the market doesnt seem as good as China with a thriving economy and a culture that is changing and with great interest in Western goods. It doesnt make one better or worse than the other, but it makes one better and worse from Apples business perspective at the moment.

The most popular ones that are out there costs $200+ which potentially means that people can buy stuff around that range. There are problems with the government clearance for the device similar to china for security reasons. But, the prices are made outrageous by greedy carriers & device manufactures, an iphone cost $750 bucks is too much and because of this removing Nokia & Samsung out of Asian markets will be tough, they are sitting on that $200 segment.
post #58 of 67
Quote:

In a crunched economy this things helps companies by not worrying about the next big idea and just keep copying. They can divert the R&D cost to marketing & other things like investigating new ways of Monkey dancing, Funeral Dancing etc..,
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Mac OS X came in 1999, four years after Windows 95. In 1995, Apple still have not bought NeXT, the company that developed the bases for Mac OS X. How did Windows 95 copy ideas from the future?

USING A MS TIME MACHINE, may be that crashed in the middle hence Windows 95 sucked.
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Once I learned that the term "oriental" was considered inappropriate by a number of people, I dropped it--like you pointed out, there are other, acceptable terms that have the same root meaning without the emotional baggage...

It all depends how you use it. You probably should avoid it in association with people however rugs is ok.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

All versions of Windows copied ideas from Apple's pre-OS X Macintosh system software in the 1980s. Microsoft ultimately got away with it because Apple was careless in how broadly it agreed to share intellectual property with Microsoft when the Mac first came out. Apple needed Microsoft Word and Multiplan (Excel) for the Mac and Microsoft took the ideas and made Windows and Microsoft Office for Windows.

Apple got some of its ideas from Xerox, but Xerox was paid in Apple stock before the IPO and came out nicely.
post #62 of 67
Apple sues Meizu and Oracle sues Google. Then Apple merges Oracle lol
post #63 of 67
This chinese site has banner advertising from china Unicom as it gives pirated iPhone software away.

Search iPhone and turn on google translate.

What's Apple doing to protect developers?
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I was talking to someone just last week that thinks the term Oriental and Orient are both derogatory, I pointed out the origin of the term meaning east' or more accurately to rise as in the rising sun but they didnt care. Its wrong because we think its wrong and any original meaning or non-derogatory usage doesnt make it not wrong.

I asked if Far East was wrong they said no. I asked if the Japanese word for Japan, Nippon, which means land of the rising sun was wrong; they said no. I honestly dont get how we can have these emotional responses to words that are just scribbles on a page or vibrations in the air even when the meaning isnt offensive.

I'm of chinese decent, raised in Canada. I haven't heard the use of that word often, I don't find it racist. But it is a colonial term that's out of touch with a multicultural society we live in. Oriental and Asian seems to be a catch all phrase. North American, european, hispanic, south asian isn't much better to describe a large and diverse ethnic group.

I understand some would take offence to it. I still see the use of the word in signage in the west and east by asian shopkeepers. It's the legacy of colonialism. Many in the east are educated in a british educational system where such words are still in use. Also, some are just not english speakers and simply picked the word from the english dictionary.

The reverse is also true. I was reading the South China Morning Post, an english language paper. The journalist described a black american as a "negro woman" Lazy journalism? Perhaps. Racist? Not likely. Colonial education? Probably.

I find that western born asians find oriental offensive. Real asians use the term because of ignorance with no malice. And yes I realize using "asian" as a catch all phrase doesn't help my point.

Back on topic!
post #65 of 67
Quote:

You do realize that pretty much all of those were co invented in several cultures around the world. I mean how come Egypt doesn't have to pay china for paper? Because they also invented paper. Pasta was also co invented same with ceramics.
post #66 of 67
Quote:

i don't agree with that. while apple may not have originated every idea they do seem to take an idea and go their own way with it. and ms has always played catch-up. its they way they operate.

Ya you could say that about MS too, they go their own way with an idea.
post #67 of 67
Good to know, we can still see some fearless companies and brave lawyers in North America nowadays!

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple forces Meizu to halt sales of iPhone-lookalike