or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The American Left Slides Into Psychosis

The American Left Slides Into Psychosis - Page 4

post #121 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Republicans vote as a block with very few exceptions. Adding a few new Republicans is going to make little difference in this.

So you're not going to provide the list, only your unsupported assertions?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #122 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I suggest you read before you post.

And I suggest you start a blog.

You want to make posts. But you don't want to defend them.

This is a forum. The rules are that you don't just post any old shit and then refuse to discuss it.

If you want to do that, and you do, then you should start a blog and not publish comments. That is what a blog is for.

I suggest you only make posts if you're prepared to discuss them.
post #123 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

He is only following jazzguru's example.
post #124 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbo Jumbo View Post

Otherwise I suggest you look like a bit of a pussy.

And onto the name calling.

post #125 of 824
Quote:

And I suggest you start a blog.

You want to make posts. But you don't want to defend them.

This is a forum. The rules are that you don't just post any old shit and then refuse to discuss it.

If you want to do that, and you do, then you should start a blog and not publish comments. That is what a blog is for.

I suggest you only make posts if you're prepared to discuss them. Otherwise I suggest you look like a bit of a pussy.

I strongly suggest you read before you post.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #126 of 824
Quote:

And onto the name calling.

It's inevitable.

post #127 of 824
Quote:

But which facts? The "facts" as Obama (and the Democratic politicians and candidates) sees them?

I think people are looking at certain facts and thinking "we've given this group too much power all at once." facts like unemployment continuing to climb and be persistently high (despite "stimulus" spending), massive spending and debt, a health care "reform" bill rammed through Congress. These are facts (et al) that I think people see and think...hey...maybe it's time to stop this freight train.

Corporations want fewer regulations.

Republicans want fewer regulations.

Corporations are in charge of hiring.

Corporations are currently making record profits.

Corporations are not hiring.

Republicans are about to win a bunch of seats in Congress.

Gee, seem fishy at all to anyone else?

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #128 of 824
Quote:

Corporations want fewer regulations.

Republicans want fewer regulations.

Corporations are in charge of hiring.

Corporations are currently making record profits.

Corporations are not hiring.

Republicans are about to win a bunch of seats in Congress.

Gee, seem fishy at all to anyone else?

Well, no, but you're free to explain the line of "logic" you're trying to lay out. Including, BTW, the reason you think companies are not hiring.

post #129 of 824
Quote:

I don't jump when you tell me to. You want to know a list of new politicians? Go ahead, look it up yourself. Point is that one thing the Republican party does very well is marching in unison. I have yet to be given a single good reason to think that these new Republicans will be any different.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #130 of 824
Quote:

I don't jump when you tell me to. You want to know a list of new politicians? Go ahead, look it up yourself. Point is that one thing the Republican party does very well is marching in unison. I have yet to be given a single good reason to think that these new Republicans will be any different.

So unsupported assertions it is. Got it.

post #131 of 824
Quote:

I strongly suggest you read before you post.

Yeah, you keep this saying this. I'm not sure why.

Anyway. I strongly suggest that you if you're going to make a post then you should have either the balls or the brains to discuss it.

Now you can repeat that thing about reading before you post, which is clearly making you feel better.
post #132 of 824
Quote:

But which facts? The "facts" as Obama (and the Democratic politicians and candidates) sees them?

I think people are looking at certain facts and thinking "we've given this group too much power all at once." facts like unemployment continuing to climb and be persistently high (despite "stimulus" spending), massive spending and debt, a health care "reform" bill rammed through Congress. These are facts (et al) that I think people see and think...hey...maybe it's time to stop this freight train.

People are not responding to facts in those cases. they are responding to:

a) a consensus-reality presented to them

or

b) Some innate bias which blocks them perceiving things as they are. This is Obama's 'fear' in his speech.

Your examples are illustrative of it... very few people who react negatively to the IDEA of universal healthcare are being logical. And it is the idea they are objecting to.

They are not saying "we want universal healthcare but this is not the way to get it".

They are saying "this is Communism".

That is not a fact.

Similarly, people are not objecting to a Cultural Centre in NYC (which would be a fact) they are objecting to mosques, al Qaeda HQs and Hamas funded terror cells.

No facts.

Similarly, every Right Wing Administration in the World has to deal with the same problems the US is facing under Obama. It is a global recession. Yet to many it is a result of Obama's 'Communism'.

No facts.

I could go on.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
post #133 of 824
Quote:

So unsupported assertions it is. Got it.

Do you deny that Republicans show a certain unity while voting on Congress that the Democrats lack?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #134 of 824
Quote:

Yeah, you keep this saying this. I'm not sure why.

Anyway. I strongly suggest that you if you're going to make a post then you should have either the balls or the brains to discuss it.

Now you can repeat that thing about reading before you post, which is clearly making you feel better.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=103

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=108

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=120

I guess you were too busy chastising me for not participating in the discussion to notice that I was participating in the discussion.

Perhaps you should read before you post.

post #135 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

People are not responding to facts in those cases. they are responding to:

a) a consensus-reality presented to them

or

b) Some innate bias which blocks them perceiving things as they are.

Really? How do you know this? Which "people" are we speaking of? Are they all thinking and responding the same way and for the same reasons?

Quote:

very few people who react negatively to the IDEA of universal healthcare are being logical. And it is the idea they are objecting to.

Well it sorta depends on what is meant by "universal healthcare" because this is a phrase with some baggage.

Quote:

They are not saying "we want universal healthcare but this is not the way to get it".

They are saying "this is Communism".

Well some are, yes. But now we're in the fog of broad generalizations of what large groups of "people" are thinking.

post #136 of 824
Quote:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=103

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=108

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...&postcount=120

I guess you were too busy chastising me for not participating in the discussion to notice that I was participating in the discussion.

Perhaps you should read before you post.

WTF?

None of those posts are in answer to mine.
post #137 of 824
Quote:

Do you deny that Republicans show a certain unity while voting on Congress that the Democrats lack?

I'm waiting for you to support this claim with some facts. And, if you do, please do us all a favor and try to take a broader view than a few short years of US history (like the 8 years of the Bush administration.)

post #138 of 824
Quote:

No, he didn't. You agree with what he said, but that does not make it true.

Do people think irrationally when motivated by fear? Yes.

Are the Democrats losing support because more people are thinking irrationally? No.

A half-truth is still a lie.

Ok, I accept that. If that's what he meant - and I did not understand it in that context - then that is not true.

The Democrats are losing support because they promised a new world basically and people bought into that. Now when they see it is more of the same they are both pissed off and disenfranchised.

But you miss one key point: they STILL WANT CHANGE.

It might take a while to get over the fact that Obama is not the man to bring it but that won't change the need for it or the core of people who want it.
post #139 of 824
Quote:

WTF?

None of those posts are in answer to mine. You were ignoring me and agreeing with someone else.

START A BLOG.

Why, yes. I was ignoring you. Fancy that.

post #140 of 824
Quote:

Ok, I accept that. If that's what he meant - and I did not understand it in that context - then that is not true.

The Democrats are losing support because they promised a new world basically and people bought into that. Now when they see it is more of the same they are both pissed off and disenfranchised.

But you miss one key point: they STILL WANT CHANGE.

It might take a while to get over the fact that Obama is not the man to bring it but that won't change the need for it or the core of people who want it.

Indeed. We all want change, but there seems to be a great deal of disagreement over what kind of change people want and how they want to bring that change about.

And I think that disagreement is being exploited by those currently running the show.

post #141 of 824
Quote:

Indeed. We all want change, but there seems to be a great deal of disagreement over what kind of change people want and how they want to bring that change about.

And I think that disagreement is being exploited by those currently running the show.

I don't think Conservatives want change. They want the Status Quo. That's why they're called conservatives.
post #142 of 824
Quote:

I don't think Conservatives want change. They want the Status Quo. That's why they're called conservatives.

To what kind of "change" are you referring?

post #143 of 824
Quote:

I'm waiting for you to support this claim with some facts. And, if you do, please do us all a favor and try to take a broader view than a few short years of US history (like the 8 years of the Bush administration.)

It's called fucking paying attention to the news and what's going on in our country. It's common knowledge that Republicans are much more united when it comes to voting. However, since you apparently bury your head in the sand and don't know this, or you're playing a stupid game trying to avoid the topic by questioning even the most basic of safe assumptions, here's some fucking statistics:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22vo...w&start=0&sa=N

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Click the two links. Expand the number of search results on the page to the maximum allowed. Scroll through. Look for yourself. There are only a few Republicans who consistently vote against the party, but even then, none above 30% of the time. However, there are many, many more Democrats who break from the party vote on a consistent basis. Look at the fucking numbers. Check out all those Dems who only vote with the party between 70% and 85% of the time. Check out the Dems that vote with the party as little as 60% of the time.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #144 of 824
Quote:

It's called fucking paying attention to the news and what's going on in our country.

Calm down. I realize I have called you on an unsupported assertion, and perhaps that makes you made. But you can relax now.

Quote:

It's common knowledge...

This is not, contrary to common liberal thinking, a factual argument.

Quote:

...that Republicans are much more united when it comes to voting.

Much more? Completely?

Quote:

However, since you apparently bury your head in the sand and don't know this, or you're playing a stupid game trying to avoid the topic by questioning even the most basic of safe assumptions,

Contrary to common liberal though, asking you to support your assertions with actual, you know...facts is not the same thing as "burying my head in the sand" or "avoiding the topic."

Quote:

here's some fucking statistics:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22vo...w&start=0&sa=N

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Click the two links. Expand the number of search results on the page to the maximum allowed. Scroll through. Look for yourself. There are only a few Republicans who consistently vote against the party, but even then, none above 30% of the time. However, there are many, many more Democrats who break from the party vote on a consistent basis. Look at the fucking numbers. Check out all those Dems who only vote with the party between 70% and 85% of the time. Check out the Dems that vote with the party as little as 60% of the time.

That wasn't so hard, was it? This, of course, is quite weak and fails to take into account much beyond a current historical context, but I guess this is all I'll get from you. But let's look at a sample of the numbers (from the first two pages of the searches), shall we:

Republicans: 95, 92, 96, 94, 81, 94, 92, 94, 96, 70, 93, 91, 93, 93, 93, 73, 93, 95. (average among these: 90.4%)
Democrats: 84, 98, 96, 100, 92, 90, 98, 96, 91, 91, 100, 90, 96, 100, 98, 98, 97, 95, 86, 74. (average among these: 93.5%)

post #145 of 824
Oh yes, because only the first page of searches makes a statistically significant argument. You do not get to try to tear me down with your silly little accusations of unfounded assumptions and then turn around and use an arbitrarily small sample to try to prove me wrong. I set the searches per page to 100 and scrolled through ALL the pages. Don't give me your bullshit averages here.

You, sir, are a giant stinking hypocrite. It's time you start living up to the level of proof that you expect from everyone else.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #146 of 824
Quote:

Oh yes, because only the first page of searches makes a statistically significant argument.

I expanded to the 2nd page. But you provided the data. You've made the claim. You tally it up.

Quote:

You do not get to try to tear me down with your silly little accusations of unfounded assumptions and then turn around and use an arbitrarily small sample to try to prove me wrong.

Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying "nah nah nah nah" isn't really a good argument.

Quote:

I set the searches per page to 100 and scrolled through ALL the pages. Don't give me your bullshit averages here.

Then tally it up for us. \

Quote:

You, sir, are a giant stinking hypocrite.

Because I asked you to support your assertion with facts?

post #147 of 824
You're useless to talk to. I should have had you on ignore a long time ago.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #148 of 824
Quote:

Yes. I know that expecting you to support your assertions with facts before I accept them is a terribly vicious thing to do.

P.S. Moving onto the 3rd pages. It's not looking any different.

post #149 of 824
Quote:

Can you put me on ignore if you haven't done so already? Thanks!

post #150 of 824
Quote:

Can you put me on ignore if you haven't done so already? Thanks!

Only if you pose sexily in your magic underwear.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #151 of 824
Page 4...same results.

post #152 of 824
Quote:

Only if you pose sexily in your magic underwear.

Oh I get it. You want to continue mocking beliefs I hold sacred (although there really is nothing you could possibly say that I haven't heard before) in reply to my posts. It's the "progressive" way.

Carry on!

post #153 of 824
Nah, what I said wasn't a progressive thing to say. Humans are imperfect. You should know this. Don't get panties in a twist.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #154 of 824
Hey BR...at what page might I begin seeing this significantly different voting pattern in which Republicans not only vote with their party more than Democrats, but significantly so? So far it's looking like (from the data you provided) that Democrats actually more consistently vote with their party than Republicans do.

post #155 of 824
Quote:

Hey BR...at what page might I begin seeing this significantly different voting pattern in which Republicans not only vote with their party more than Democrats, but significantly so? So far it's looking like (from the data you provided) that Democrats actually more consistently vote with their party than Republicans do.

There you go sticking your head in the sand again!

post #156 of 824

post #157 of 824

That's utter madness...they've really lost it....

Quote:
Going to kill liberals ?????

Everyone knows it's going to be Muzzlims....
post #158 of 824
You're More Than Welcome, Rachel, Keep the Gaffes Coming

Quote:
By Jack Coleman | October 21, 2010 | 10:19

Last night on her MSNBC show, Rachel Maddow planted a brave smile on her face and ran what passed for a correction of her scurrilous -- and legally problematic -- claim that a Republican congressman "received advance notice" of the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.

As to be expected, such a reckless polemicist could not issue a mea culpa without a healthy dose of self-justification and alleged delight. Here's what Maddow had to say --

Quote:
Recently we have been covering on this show the tension between extremism and electoral politics, the role that politicians can play in mainstreaming even violently radical politics. In the course of that coverage I made a brief reference two nights ago to a former politician named Steve Stockman. Mr. Stockman was a very conservative Republican politician elected in 1994. That was the last time we had our first midterm elections after a new Democratic president was inaugurated.

Now I mentioned Steve Stockman on Monday's show, but it's not the first time we have discussed him and his record on this program.

Maddow then showed a clip from her show on March 24, three days after passage of the health care bill --

Quote:
Back in 1995, on the morning of the Oklahoma City bombing, just after the explosion, a member of Congress named Steve Stockman, Republican of Texas, was sent a fax touting the bombing. He was sent that fax by somebody in the militia movement. Mr. Stockman later turned that fax over to the FBI. He was never implicated in any way in the bombing itself. But there is a reason that the militia movement trusted a member of Congress enough to go to him with that.

Mr. Stockman had, for example, written an article in Guns & Ammo magazine proclaiming that what happened at Waco was a government conspiracy to 'prove the need for a ban on so-called assault weapons.' Mr. Stockman peddled conspiracies that he got from the militia movement about the government planning a takeover, the government planning attacks, paramilitary attacks on American citizens.

Back to last night's correction --

Quote:
When I mentioned Steve Stockman again on this show on Monday night, I misstated the details of that true account that you just heard me give there back on the show in March. On Monday I said that Mr. Stockman's notice from the militia movement about the Oklahoma City bombing was advance notice. It wasn't in advance, it was right after the bombing, I apologize for the misstatement. It was an editing error and it was mine alone.

To all the conservative bloggers who are extremely angry with me for making that mistake and who no doubt will now be extremely angry with me for airing this correction, let me say this to you guys -- thank you. Thank you for signaling such enthusiasm for discussing guys like Steve Stockman and for getting all the details right. If the country talked a lot more about the Steve Stockmans of the world and anti-government extremism and what the experience of having anti-government extremists in Congress was like for this country the last time we tried it, I think that would be good for us as a country. Particularly before this round of elections. So I am sorry for the error and thanks, you guys.

Am I the only extremely angry conservative blogger walking with a bounce in my step today knowing I influence the content of Maddow's show? I doubt it.

What strikes me as equally implausible about Maddow's chirpy defensiveness is her claim that this was "an editing error and it was mine alone." Right -- and "Dewey Defeats Truman" was a typo. Is this how it works at MSNBC -- one of their most high-profile hosts makes an inherently outrageous, demonstrably false and hence patently libelous claim -- and not a single other person (as in, editor) sees it before broadcast?

Something tells me this has already changed, and that people in shiny suits who charge hefty fees by the hour are already poring over upcoming MSNBC content.

post #159 of 824

post #160 of 824
Here's more tolerance and acceptance from the American Left:

Union Fires Stage Hand for Wearing Bush Hat and Shirt

Quote:
Obama’s visit to Los Angeles today has stirred controversy even before he arrived.

A stage worker setting up the stage was fired for refusing to remove his hat and turn his sweatshirt inside out and the reason? The shirt hat and shirt both had the name “Bush” printed on them but not just any Bush but, that of George H.W. Bush.

The IATSE (Local 33) union fired the worker even after he explained the shirt to his bosses. The shirt didn’t explicitly support George H.W Bush but that of the aircraft carrier named after the former President and the aircraft carrier his son has served on for the past many years and is currently deployed.
The union worker was interviewed on KTLA Channel 5 locally in Los Angeles.

The stage hand was identified as Duane Hammet and a distraught Hammet can be seen during his interview very distraught as his support for his son and his service becoming the center piece to his firing.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The American Left Slides Into Psychosis