or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iOS software update to fix pesky alarm clock bug
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says iOS software update to fix pesky alarm clock bug

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
A software update for Apple's iPhone and other iOS devices is reportedly in the pipeline to rectify a glitch that has caused quite a few rude awakenings for some users overseas.

A report out of Australia notes that the Alarm Clock application Apple ships on the iPhone and iPod touch began waking users up an hour early in the southern region of the continent -- New South Wales, the ACT, Victoria, and Tasmania -- because a bug caused the software not to fall back an hour when changes to daylight savings time kicked in one Sunday ago.

More specifically, it appears that the bug affects devices running variants of iOS 4 than have reoccurring alarms set to wake users up during the week for work, for instance. Meanwhile, a lengthy discussion thread over at the whirlpool forums has dozens of users complaining that their non-recurring alarms have ceased working completely.

"Mine did not work this morning," said one user. "I have since tried creating new alarms, turning the[m] off etc.. Doesn't work. I just tried setting the alarm 1 hour forward and it worked. So definite issue with DST."

A representative for Apple Australia told ZDNet that the company is "aware of this issue and already developed a fix which will be available to customers in an upcoming software update."

That update is likely to appear in the next few weeks before changes to daylight savings time begin to take affect in other portions of the world, including the United States.

In the meantime, users plagued by the recurring alarm problem can either set the alarm one hour after the time they actually want to wake up or deactivate the recurring alarm and remember to set a non-recurring alarm each night.
post #2 of 35
This is one of those times that a small OTA patch would be ideal, IMO.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #3 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That update is likely to appear in the next few weeks before changes to daylight savings time begin to take affect in other portions of the world, including the United States.

That's a bit of a strange way to say it. DST will "have an effect" very soon in the US. "Take effect" is usually reserved to point to the beginning, or reinstatement of something, not the fact that it is ending.

At any rate, what a frustrating bug. I rely on my phone every morning for an alarm, so I'd be pretty annoyed. I would imagine this is probably not a bug for the end of US DST, but if it is, here's hoping they get it fixed in the next couple weeks.
post #4 of 35
I would be so pissed, but I always have 2 alarms set - comp and touch just to be sure.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
Reply
post #5 of 35
No problem here. Tried some 3rd party apps and they did't even wake me. The native one wake me on time every morning. Couldn't be happier.
post #6 of 35
What about the alarm that goes off every Friday morning at 10:30AM reminding me to pick up some furnace filters? I set that up early this summer and deleted it a month later but it won't go away.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post

What about the alarm that goes off every Friday morning at 10:30AM reminding me to pick up some furnace filters? I set that up early this summer and deleted it a month later but it won't go away.

As an added feature, the iPhone watches to make sure you actually do the task before removing the reminder. Maybe you weren't carrying your phone when you picked up the filters?
post #8 of 35
So strange that I would see this article pop up today...just yesterday my alarm failed me, and I woke up an hour late. Thankfully, I give myself so much time that I was not late for my gig, but just the thought of what almost happened makes me sick.

On the technical side, I set my alarm for 7:00 am, it went off at 8. WTF?
post #9 of 35
Am sure the update will be of size 250-350mb
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
Same Apple. Same Mac. Different Take. Different Place. http://Applemacness.com
Reply
post #10 of 35
Add to the list launching the music player with a track already in single-repeat mode and it advancing to the next song.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurIhde View Post

yes,i hate the bug www free123 net/sig/24/smile.gif

Mods, this is just stupid smiley link spam!
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Mods, this is just stupid smiley link spam!

Use the Report Button » « under their name but don’t copy the post or it just makes it harder for the mods to clean up.

Edit: Ah, I see you edited the link to keep it from being linkable. Good show, but I still say use the Report Button.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #13 of 35
Why are they going to so much trouble to rush through a fix fora problem that may affect a few people for a single day twice a year, but not fixing one that irritates millions of iPhone 3G and 2-gen iPod touch users every single day.

Put a 2-gen touch running iOS 4 to sleep overnight without going into airplane mode, and the battery will plummet 15% and more overnight, presumably because it's still waking up to hit that WiFi connection. (Push notifications are off.) Put it in airline mode and that doesn't happen. It's not like it takes rocket science to document this problem. Two nights is sufficient. And it's not like I and others haven't told them about it.

And why is this so? The 2-gen touch (and the iPhone 3G) gets so few new features in iOS 4, that they'd have done better to create a more modest update, one without all the glitches, and called it iOS 3.3. As best I can tell, the only reason I and millions of other iPhone 3G and iPod touch users have to suffer the hassles of iOS 4 is because iBooks only runs on iOS 4. Apple is sticking us with a sluggish, bug-ridden OS to sell a few more ebooks.

That's why I'm delighted that the Droid is moving up behind the iPhone. Apple has begun to behave like most at-the-top-of-the-market firms: catering to the whims of a well-placed few while ignoring the needs millions of customers.

This is disgusting. Months after release, they have yet to fix problems with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch that should have been caught at the alpha testing level and yet they're getting all hot, bothered and frantic about a little alarm clock bug.
post #14 of 35
If you set the phone to sync time automatically with servers you are asking for trouble.

In Sweden, a not to smart tech guy decided to do a poor job when updating the time servers.
Half my company came late to work.. All the clocks were set back.
My wake-up alarm came on at noon.

It was on the news and everything. Android was affected to.

Not the same issue but still funny.
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Use the Report Button

I did!
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

Am sure the update will be of size 250-350mb

Sad, but true. Does iOS has OTA upgrades? Does it patch only what needs fixing?
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Reply
post #17 of 35
The Cocoa date and time classes are so complicated not even Apple's engineers can use them.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Cocoa date and time classes are so complicated not even Apple's engineers can use them.

LOL legitimate excuse to be late... Since it is in the news...With no confirmation date, still plenty of time to be late (again).
post #19 of 35
One thing I've always wondered: why did Apple remove the clock app from iOS 3.2? iPad users have no native clock that can keep running in the background to sound an alarm. That will almost certainly change when 4.2 comes out next month with background processes so third-party alarm clock apps can finally have that functionality, but it just seems like an odd omission.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
One thing I've always wondered: why did Apple remove the clock app from iOS 3.2? iPad users have no native clock that can keep running in the background to sound an alarm. That will almost certainly change when 4.2 comes out next month with background processes so third-party alarm clock apps can finally have that functionality, but it just seems like an odd omission.

For some reason, the iPad lacks a few features we all grown accustomed to.
Why this is, I don't know.

But it is strange. No stocks, weather, voice memos, clock, calculator, or compass..
When I think back, was there not a Steve quote about the calculator not looking good on such a large screen or something.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

For some reason, the iPad lacks a few features we all grown accustomed to.
Why this is, I don't know.

But it is strange. No stocks, weather, voice memos, clock, calculator, or compass..
When I think back, was there not a Steve quote about the calculator not looking good on such a large screen or something.

Most of those I don't think are strange and even predicted prior to the actual anmouncement of an Apple tablet. For starters, the later I/O of the 10" display allows for some really complex apps and the App Store trounced Apple's basic efforts almost immediately so I think Apple is best to leave this to the 3rd parties. Apple still hasn't updated their Weather app to use the GPS to find your location on the iPhone version which seems odd unless you consider that Apple is moving this functionality to the 3rd parties.

My biggest issue with these simplistic and/or forgotten apps is that you can't remove them with using a JB app or use a Profile that you can create from their Enterprose Configurationn Utility. What I'd like Apple to do is have a section in Settings that allows you Show/Hide these apps for all users, excluding Settings, of course.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Put a 2-gen touch running iOS 4 to sleep overnight without going into airplane mode, and the battery will plummet 15% and more overnight.

My 2nd gen iPod Touch did this. It actually ran out of charge overnight. However, doing a factory reset in iTunes seems to have resolved the issue, and actually the battery seems to last much longer now, and the responsiveness of the UI was restored. However, it was not without hassle; it really was a reset to factory defaults, so wiped all music and settings. So I had to play around with it for an hour to get it back the way I liked. I agree that there aren't many compelling features for Touch owners to upgrade, but it's nice to still be able to use the current OS on a 2-and-a-half-year-old device. I'm not sure owners of similar-aged Android devices (when they get there) will receive the same service.
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of those I don't think are strange and even predicted prior to the actual anmouncement of an Apple tablet. For starters, the later I/O of the 10" display allows for some really complex apps and the App Store trounced Apple's basic efforts almost immediately so I think Apple is best to leave this to the 3rd parties. Apple still hasn't updated their Weather app to use the GPS to find your location on the iPhone version which seems odd unless you consider that Apple is moving this functionality to the 3rd parties.

My biggest issue with these simplistic and/or forgotten apps is that you can't remove them with using a JB app or use a Profile that you can create from their Enterprose Configurationn Utility. What I'd like Apple to do is have a section in Settings that allows you Show/Hide these apps for all users, excluding Settings, of course.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.
To say that Apple did not incorporate the standard apps because there are better ones on the app store seems off.
That would mean that, they them self are not the best of designing apps for their own device.
Whats next? Microsoft made a better mail.app so we skip that to? (Unlikely, but you get the point)

I say, keep the standard apps. But like you said, have the options to hide them.

One more thing. How can the iPad be a family device without profiles? I had my e-mail on it the first three days.. 2 people are allowed to read my e-mail. The first one is me. The second one is Not my girlfriend..
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree.
To say that Apple did not incorporate the standard apps because there are better ones on the app store seams off.
That would mean that, they them self are not the best of designing apps for their own device.
Whats next? Microsoft made a better mail.app so we skip that to? (Unlikely, but you get the point)

I say, keep the standard apps. But like you said, have the options to hide them.

One more thing. How can the iPad be a family device without profiles? I had my e-mail on it the first three days.. 2 people are allowed to read my e-mail. The first one is me. The second one is Not my girlfriend..

They arent the best apps in terms of functionality. They havent been since the App Store opened. But there are reasons to keep them on a truly mobile device that is constantly connected to the internet v. one they are focusing on as a reader and internet device from your living room.

I see where youre coming from but I also see that it would be a waste to rewrite all these apps at their expense when they really dont add any value to the system with better and free apps on the App Store. Can apple do a better job than the 3rd parties? I think they can, but I dont see why they would want to. Why? Its a cost center that does not affect affect sales. I wouldnt be surprised if some of these little apps silently drop over future iPhone/Touch iOS releases.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

How can the iPad be a family device without profiles? I had my e-mail on it the first three days.. 2 people are allowed to read my e-mail. The first one is me. The second one is Not my girlfriend..

My first real laugh for the day - thanks! :-)
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
..... the greatest fame comes from adding to human knowledge, not winning battles.
Paraphrased from Napolean Bonaparte, 1798
Reply
post #26 of 35
I had no problems, in NSW.

Daylight savings is "show up to work an hour late day" with a perplexed look and mumbled ramblings about how I "forgot".
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #27 of 35
Affected me yesterday. I just reset the alarm for an hour later and went back to sleep.
post #28 of 35
...legitimate excuse to be late... Since it is in the news...With no confirmation date, still plenty of time to be late (again).[/QUOTE]

The Westclox company used to make an inexpensive piece of hardware called an alarm clock. Set the time, wind it up, and it goes off when you want it to...
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Most of those I don't think are strange and even predicted prior to the actual anmouncement of an Apple tablet. For starters, the later I/O of the 10" display allows for some really complex apps and the App Store trounced Apple's basic efforts almost immediately so I think Apple is best to leave this to the 3rd parties.

And again, you miss the point. The only built-in app I miss is the clock, because until iOS 4.2 finally comes out, it has one major feature that no third-party iPad app can have. It can run in the background. You can exit the app and still have an alarm go off at the set time. That's not an option with current iPad clocks. You exit the app and it's not running anymore. No more alarm.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

This is disgusting. Months after release, they have yet to fix problems with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch that should have been caught at the alpha testing level and yet they're getting all hot, bothered and frantic about a little alarm clock bug.


They are trying to get you to upgrade to the iPhone 4.

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply

iPad2 16 GB
iPhone 5 32 GB

Reply
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddych View Post

They are trying to get you to upgrade to the iPhone 4.

Which has exactly the same problem?

Didn't think that trolling thought through all that much did you?
post #32 of 35
I live in NZ and my iPhone did the same thing but I turned the alarm off altogether for a day and now it works properly.
post #33 of 35
Over the last two days, my son's iPod Touch went off at 6am instead of 7am is it was set for...
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Why are they going to so much trouble to rush through a fix fora problem that may affect a few people for a single day twice a year, but not fixing one that irritates millions of iPhone 3G and 2-gen iPod touch users every single day.

This is disgusting. Months after release, they have yet to fix problems with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G and iPod touch that should have been caught at the alpha testing level and yet they're getting all hot, bothered and frantic about a little alarm clock bug.

Well what if you missed a big client appointment? This bug could COST someone thousands of dollars for this in some special cases.

The point is that its worked for several years, Why introduce new buggy code? Or did someone optimize (=cut) some "unneeded" code???

I allways say that you shouldnt fix something that isnt broken.
post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Cocoa date and time classes are so complicated not even Apple's engineers can use them.

Hell why did they "fix"(=break) something thats been working for years... Now THATS what you should be thinking about!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple says iOS software update to fix pesky alarm clock bug