or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone may be among first CDMA handsets to offer concurrent data and voice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Verizon iPhone may be among first CDMA handsets to offer concurrent data and voice - Page 2

post #41 of 73
How several years late. Verizon is truly on the cutting edge.
post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Does the HTC 7 Surround have a slide out surround speaker system with subwoofer and all?

Can the HTC Surround wirelessly connect speakers and transmit audio while sending print jobs to a wireless printer connected over power line using inductive stealth data link & data scrambled using 64K-bit key. If, not then its not very useful for a average users.
post #43 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Just sayin'...

Why do you put this on your posts? You say 'it', then post about saying it.
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Well I plugged my wifes' iphone into our theater system and played a movie through our system and it did play in surround sound, so I guess it support surround sound too since surround sound is encoded into the audio track.

What sort of cable did you use? The Component cable? There's no way to use HDMI is there?


I bought a composite cable with a 30 pin connector, but it didn't work, because it was from before Apple bonked everybody's cables with iOS 2.2. I'd consider a Component cable, but how did you get digital audio to come out of the iPhone?

I thought all the cables output analog stereo via RCA plugs? Do you somehow get streaming digital audio out of a USB plug?

What do you use for cables and connections with your wife's iPhone in order to get HD picture and 5.1 sound?
post #45 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

How several years late. Verizon is truly on the cutting edge.

I approve this statement.
post #46 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So you think making the iPhone available to the 2/3s of the US market (Verizon + Sprint + maybe Tmobile) who it is currently unavailable to will only result in a "slight bump" in sales?

Yes. Those carriers already have great alternative phones, unlike ATT. Lots of their former customers already switched to ATT to get an iPhone.

At this point, I think that adding Verizon is too little to make much impact. Maybe a year ago? Not anymore.
post #47 of 73
The EVO does Voice & Data on both CDMA & WiMax... Someone figured it out already. No need to argue...
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Why do you put this on your posts? You say 'it', then post about saying it.

I usually don't. But this time around, I was responding in kind.
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Exactly what I said: A verizon iPhone would be too little, too late. Android has already surpassed iOS and now M$ is poised to further disrupt things.

If and when Apple expands its US carrier penetration, it won't matter. Apple is already losing market share in the US, and I don't think that a Verizon phone will change that, given that it would be (IMO) too little, and WAY too late.

I, like many others, expect that Apple will retain somewhere around its current market share, or maybe somewhat less. I see little potential for domestic growth, given the (current) infrequent and (lately) disappointing product upgrades. I expect to see compelling choices from other manufacturers long before the iP5 is leaked, and I expect a slight bump in iP4 sales, maybe, if Apple is ever able to get their product onto Verizon, but not enough, and not soon enough.

Why are you loosing your pant
post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

Why are you loosing your pant

Is this some sort of weird reference to masturbation?

I find it offensive in the extreme if that is the case. But in any event, I don't understand any point that you may be trying to convey.
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Oh my goodness. I need to ask my tailor to enlarge my trouser pockets.

You will need truck, but how will make a facetime with this.
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Is this some sort of weird reference to masturbation?

I find it offensive in the extreme if that is the case. But in any event, I don't understand any point that you may be trying to convey.

My point is whats bothering you even if apple looses & android wins or vice versa. Unless you are a stock holder (In that case also you don't really care, all you need is gains).

If you like a product buy it. No one really cares about what you have done it's your choice. Why paste esoteric Marketing BS when it's not what the thread is all about or you needed a box to paste something that you are very happy to know
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The point is CDMA does not work outside the US and the few countries who have CDMA is using a different version than VZ, so the only way a VZ phone works outside the US is it has to be a world phone so it support both GSM and CDMA.

I realize that most people do travel outside the US, but, the fact the iphone works world wide allows the phone to keep high market value since it can be used everywhere unlike a VZ phone is only good to a VZ customers. The other issue is the fact that most VZ customer have no clue, I tries selling a GSM Palm phone advertise it as such and got all kinds of VZ customers trying to buy if and did not understand they it would not work form them.

Are you saying that an AT&T iPhone can be unlocked and subscribed on other GSM carriers? OK, that's in theory easier to do than with a CDMA based phone.

However, if you're implying a VZ phone can't be used off of the VZ network, you're wrong. Here are be radio specs for my current Verizonwireless smartphone (which I'd love to get rid of and get an iPhone if they become available on VZ):

"Fully functional world phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
Single-band: 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
Dual-band: 800/1900MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks"
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Oh my goodness. I need to ask my tailor to enlarge my trouser pockets.

That isn't necessary. Wear them as earrings.
post #55 of 73
Apple/iOS = Protoss
Google/Android = Terran

so who is Zerg?
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by samban View Post

My point is whats bothering you even if apple looses & android wins or vice versa. Unless you are a stock holder (In that case also you don't really care, all you need is gains).

If you like a product buy it. No one really cares about what you have done it's your choice. Why paste esoteric Marketing BS when it's not what the thread is all about or you needed a box to paste something that you are very happy to know

Samban, can you please not continue your conversation with appl? It's already taking up too much space of useless oneupmanship with this troll.
post #57 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

"Fully functional world phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
Single-band: 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
Dual-band: 800/1900MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks"

To be clear "fully functional", "world phone" and " global roaming" is marketing jargon. While it an easily be deemed correct because of the vastness of GSM it's not completely upfront in what services it supports. You have to look at the UMTS operating band to see that it only supports one band which makes it's 3G very limited.

This is the problem with Sprint and Verizon commissioning these phones to work outside N. America but limiting their "world mode"-ness by only making them viable on their home network in N. America. Don't gt me wrong, it's good business for those carriers but wouldn't make sense for Apple, hence the issue they have to face on top of the other issues I mentioned with this option type.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #58 of 73
The timing of the Verizon iPhone is interesting. It is happening at a time when it appears that Verizon is going to begin transitioning to (4G) LTE, as is Sprint. Does that mean that the Verizon iPhone will be a legacy device when released or will Apple have one that is LTE capable?
post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR View Post

The timing of the Verizon iPhone is interesting. It is happening at a time when it appears that Verizon is going to begin transitioning to (4G) LTE, as is Sprint. Does that mean that the Verizon iPhone will be a legacy device when released or will Apple have one that is LTE capable?

Verizon's marketing and our desire to always want the "latest and greatest" makes us think sure things but recall that LTE isn't even close to covering Verizon's network yet and there aren't a huge array of LTE handsets on the market anywhere. Now consider the huge success of the first iPhone which was EDGE-only in a world that did have extensive 3G coverage with hundreds of 3G handsets on the market worldwide. Tech isn't very efficient at this point and probably offers very little speed gains over HSPA. We can look to the EVO 4G as an example of being first doesn't mean being best. For these reasons I wouldn't expect an LTE iPhone until 2012 at the earliest.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

To be clear "fully functional", "world phone" and " global roaming" is marketing jargon. While it an easily be deemed correct because of the vastness of GSM it's not completely upfront in what services it supports. You have to look at the UMTS operating band to see that it only supports one band which makes it's 3G very limited.

This is the problem with Sprint and Verizon commissioning these phones to work outside N. America but limiting their "world mode"-ness by only making them viable on their home network in N. America. Don't gt me wrong, it's good business for those carriers but wouldn't make sense for Apple, hence the issue they have to face on top of the other issues I mentioned with this option type.

Why don't you just tell us where these phones won't work and be done with it? As far as I know from people who use the same VZ phone as I have, they don't work in Peru. I'm not aware of any other place. That's not to say there aren't places but I doubt it's any place common for an American to find themselves.
post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Why don't you just tell us where these phones won't work and be done with it? As far as I know from people who use the same VZ phone as I have, they don't work in Peru. I'm not aware of any other place. That's not to say there aren't places but I doubt it's any place common for an American to find themselves.

I thought I was done with and I thought I was crystal clear in my statement. It sounds like you've fallen for the marketing and have ignored you own posting of the lack of UMTS bands.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

Really? Since when?


No I really don't, typo left out the NOT in my statement
post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

What sort of cable did you use? The Component cable? There's no way to use HDMI is there?


I bought a composite cable with a 30 pin connector, but it didn't work, because it was from before Apple bonked everybody's cables with iOS 2.2. I'd consider a Component cable, but how did you get digital audio to come out of the iPhone?

I thought all the cables output analog stereo via RCA plugs? Do you somehow get streaming digital audio out of a USB plug?

What do you use for cables and connections with your wife's iPhone in order to get HD picture and 5.1 sound?

I did not say I had HD video it was crappy composite at best video but Surround 5.1 since it is encode on the analog output of the left and and right audio channels. Hello my 1995 Sony VHS output Surround 5.1 an it was composite and analog audio and works with my Onkyo Receiver.

You do not need digital audio out to get Surround 5.1
post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

I disagree.

IMO, the market leader consumer smartphone is the one unthinking people would buy, and not one with a brand new OS built by a lesser-well-known foreign company that they never heard of. My guess is that the uninformed never heard of HTC, and instead, want the iPhone.

Why would the uninformed buy anything other than the current industry standard popular product?

And those who choose not to think or prefer not to think or cannot think or want something that requires no thought? That's the iPhone, baby. It is PERFECT for them.

I don't think your theory is correct.


Okay, you baited me....

However any marketing 101 class teaches this lesson, most people buy by the check list method, give them a checks list of items a products does and 9 or 10 will buy it because it has more features. Not that they need those feature or they work well they just have more.

Consumers on average have no clue what they are buying why else would there be so many poor quality products on the market, because people buy them.

Last time I check HTC sell more phones that Apple, they sell more then smart phones keep that in mind and they are known to the consumer good or bad they are known.

Also, may people I meet had no clue all the things the Iphone does, to them it just the next cool thing to having in their hands, so they are on the other end of the spectrum of buyers who just buy something because they think it cool, it is an image thing with them.

Apple does not market to the check list buyer.
post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Are you saying that an AT&T iPhone can be unlocked and subscribed on other GSM carriers? OK, that's in theory easier to do than with a CDMA based phone.

However, if you're implying a VZ phone can't be used off of the VZ network, you're wrong. Here are be radio specs for my current Verizonwireless smartphone (which I'd love to get rid of and get an iPhone if they become available on VZ):

"Fully functional world phone that supports global roaming on 3G networks
Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks
Single-band: 2100MHz UMTS/HSPA networks
Dual-band: 800/1900MHz CDMA/EVDO Rev A networks"

VZ phone can not work on Sprint, or KDDI or in Korea or even in China where other CDMA version exist. VZ bastardized their CDMA as well as other provider who did the same, Qualcomm allowed this to happen.

Also you need VZ to activate another CDMA VZ phone you my have bought from someone else, unlike a GSM phone. Presently, I have multiply iphone and other GSM phone in my home and we swap the SIM card all the time and use those phones depending on what we are doing this can not be done with VZ.

The other down side to VZ with any smart phone if you wish to hand down a phone to say one of your kids, and you do not want them to have data plan VZ will not allow it, they force you to have a data plan with a smart phone. One of the iphone in my house is a hand me down and I put in the SIM from another phone without data it works like a regular phone.

The fact you can do this on GSM network allow the phone to maintain value, who is going to want to buy a used VZ iphone if all you can do is use it on VZ with data. Face it not everyone on VZ wants data hell most people in the US can barely pay their bill each month.
post #66 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

So you think making the iPhone available to the 2/3s of the US market (Verizon + Sprint + maybe Tmobile) who it is currently unavailable to will only result in a "slight bump" in sales?.

But its not unlocking 2/3'rds of the market is it?

Its only unlocking the market if those people cannot currently buy an iPhone and use it on AT&T. For this to be the case, there would need to be no AT&T coverage at all where they live, not simply that they currently chose to use another supplier. Since we know that isn't true (AT&T Cover 75% of the population from figures I can find), the most it can possibly physically unlock is 25%.

If there is nothing physically stopping them from currently moving to AT&T, then they aren't being unlocked. Its that simple.

Could some Verizon customers be tempted to take an iPhone, sure, and Apple may see a bump in sales, but there's an AT&T signal where they use the phone today, they can buy an iPhone already and have chosen not to (for whatever reason).
post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

But its not unlocking 2/3'rds of the market is it?

Its only unlocking the market if those people cannot currently buy an iPhone and use it on AT&T. For this to be the case, there would need to be no AT&T coverage at all where they live, not simply that they currently chose to use another supplier. Since we know that isn't true (AT&T Cover 75% of the population from figures I can find), the most it can possibly physically unlock is 25%.

If there is nothing physically stopping them from currently moving to AT&T, then they aren't being unlocked. Its that simple.

Could some Verizon customers be tempted to take an iPhone, sure, and Apple may see a bump in sales, but there's an AT&T signal where they use the phone today, they can buy an iPhone already and have chosen not to (for whatever reason).

Take a look at your last comment... "for whatever reason". The problem is that the rest of your post completely ignores just how broad "whatever reason" might be. The world is not so black & white as you make it that simply living in an area with ATT coverage is available means someone would get an iPhone if they wanted one. There are many, many other reasons. Your employer has a contract with Verizon or you get a group discount, there is a hole in ATT's coverage where you live (even if it's shown as in coverage on their map), you frequently travel to places where ATT has poor coverage, you've been screwed too many times in the past by ATT to ever want to do business with them again.

Those last two points apply personally to me. And look at the surveys of iPhone customers who would defect to to Verizon in a heartbeat if they could get an iPhone. Yes, I know that wouldn't increase Apple's marketshare, but is speaks volumes about how important the carrier is. And it strongly suggests that there are many Verizon customers who DIDN'T jump to ATT, knowing the experience would be subpar.

Welcome to the multi-colored world where decisions aren't based on a single data-point.
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I did not say I had HD video it was crappy composite at best video but Surround 5.1 since it is encode on the analog output of the left and and right audio channels. Hello my 1995 Sony VHS output Surround 5.1 an it was composite and analog audio and works with my Onkyo Receiver.

You do not need digital audio out to get Surround 5.1

Are you sure it was outputting 5.1? Do you actually mean it was outputting Dolby Prologic?
post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No need to apologize. It's just a modest request to keep the thread useful and informative.

A weird thought is verizon will NOT get iphone
Verizon still can't sync its free WI-FI service with apple laptops...

I state for the record here and NOW
APPLE IPHONES CMDA style will be sold direct to the public and sprint t mobile and anyone else can pick up that BUYER . And cut a deal with him/her.

THIS PAVES the way for corporate massive volume discounts ,, and also gets massive discounts with massive purchases of IPAD AND IPHONE 3 OR 4 AS A BUNDLE ., Many companies would love to do this .

All those old RETURNED 3G iphones need a home !!!!


peace

9


rant over
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
whats in a name ? 
beatles
Reply
post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post

A weird thought is verizon will NOT get iphone
Verizon still can't sync its free WI-FI service with apple laptops...

I state for the record here and NOW
APPLE IPHONES CMDA style will be sold direct to the public and sprint t mobile and anyone else can pick up that BUYER . And cut a deal with him/her.

THIS PAVES the way for corporate massive volume discounts ,, and also gets massive discounts with massive purchases of IPAD AND IPHONE 3 OR 4 AS A BUNDLE ., Many companies would love to do this .

All those old RETURNED 3G iphones need a home !!!!

1) Note that T-Mobile USA is GSM/UMTS like the current iPhone, but doesnt have the right operating band (aka radio frequency) chip to work on T-Mobiles 3G network.

2) Its certainly possible that Apple wont be able to make a deal with Verizon who are the largest and most powerful carrier in the US, or that Sprint offered them a better deal that their bean counters deemed more profitable, but it looks to me that Verizon is the carrier they will use out of the gate for CDMA in the US.

3) Its interesting. From our PoV these exclusivity contracts with carriers look like they hinder sales but time and time again handset makers are doing them. So there must be some intrinsic value we simply arent seeing. It may be as simple as to why companies lock distribution to specific outlets and then grow outward in a control manner.

4) This is an off topic segue from the last point, but I think if Apple is opening up the iPad to so many big stores for this holiday season they 1) feel they have saturated the tablet market sufficiently enough that growth outward is prudent, and 2) feel they have will enough supply to meet demand this holiday quarter from all these additional stores. Could the iPad be Apples most profitable leg in its 3rd quarter on the market?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Take a look at your last comment... "for whatever reason". The problem is that the rest of your post completely ignores just how broad "whatever reason" might be. The world is not so black & white as you make it that simply living in an area with ATT coverage is available means someone would get an iPhone if they wanted one. There are many, many other reasons. Your employer has a contract with Verizon or you get a group discount, there is a hole in ATT's coverage where you live (even if it's shown as in coverage on their map), you frequently travel to places where ATT has poor coverage, you've been screwed too many times in the past by ATT to ever want to do business with them again.

But for 2/3 to be true, you're saying that every single person who has a cellphone but not an iPhone doesn't have one simply because of either coverage, or their employer. We know by simply logic that isnt true. Some folks cant afford one, some folks prefer other phones, etc.
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

Lots of people make purchase decisions on that basis. Branding is powerful, and greatly influences many people, especially the uninformed.

But others look closely at their alternatives before making a purchase decision. I think that the market for smartphones is plenty big enough now, and is growing so rapidly, that little tiny upstarts like HTC, those who are challenging the prevailing paradigm, can sell lots of product. Even if some other brand rolls off of the tongues of the uninterested, HTC can nevertheless make money.

Meanwhile, the lumbering giants keep spending on PR and they make money too. Lots and lots and lots of it, especially these days.

My guess is that people you know have never heard of Tesla Motors either. But those who follow the market for great cars might buy one instead of the Chevy Volt. Not everybody dresses in whatever the Gap happens to be selling this year.

Just shut your ridiculous troll mouth. People don't a give a **** about other brands. They either have Apple, want Apple, or wish they could afford Apple. Its really that simple.
post #73 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The other down side to VZ with any smart phone if you wish to hand down a phone to say one of your kids, and you do not want them to have data plan VZ will not allow it, they force you to have a data plan with a smart phone. One of the iphone in my house is a hand me down and I put in the SIM from another phone without data it works like a regular phone.

Minor nitpick: AT&T officially doesn't smile upon this either. The AT&T Wireless terms of use, agreed to by every postpaid customer, says that they have permission, at their sole discression, to automatically add an appropriate data plan to any smartphone they detect on their network. Not saying that they'll do it right away, but they have the right to do so if they choose.

If you're using your iPhone on prepaid (which has a different terms of use document), or if you're using an original iPhone (which appears to be treated by AT&T as a special case), then I apologize in advance: the preceding doesn't apply to you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Verizon iPhone may be among first CDMA handsets to offer concurrent data and voice
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Verizon iPhone may be among first CDMA handsets to offer concurrent data and voice