or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bloomberg to profile Steve Jobs in one-hour TV special this Thursday

Bloomberg to profile Steve Jobs in one-hour TV special this Thursday

post #1 of 36
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs will be the subject of a TV special that will air on Bloomberg television this week, tracing the Silicon Valley superstar from his days as a college dropout through his leadership role in the most remarkable turnaround in corporate history.

The segment is one of eleven original episodes that Bloomberg plans to air now through January 2011 as part of its new documentary series "Bloomberg Game Changers," which will also profile the likes of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, Google founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Biz Stone and Evan Williams of Twitter, and Oracle co-founder and close personal friend of Jobs, Larry Ellison.

Scheduled to air at 9:00 pm ET Thursday, October 14th, the feature on Jobs will focus on the "the many layers of the intensely private" luminary, from his style of leadership and management to his creative process.

In an email to AppleInsider, Bloomberg said the special will trace Jobs from his start-up years in the family garage to his recent transplant surgery and release of the revolutionary iPad, examining his early success and subsequent exile from Apple, his failure at NeXT, his redemption at Pixar and his triumphant return to the company he created.Â*

The hour-long documentary will featuring interviews with Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak; former Apple CEO John Scully; journalist turned venture capitalist Michael Moritz; Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg; former Apple "Mac Evangelist" and Silicon Valley entrepreneur Guy Kawasaki and technology journalist and former Apple employee, Robert X Cringely.

Readers can locate a Bloomberg TV station in their area using this link. A preview of the broadcast is also embedded, above.
post #2 of 36
Wot No Steve Ballmer?
post #3 of 36
No Bill Gates???

No Larry Ellison???

No Jean-Louiss???
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

No Bill Gates???

No Larry Ellison???

No Jean-Louiss???

It says Larry Ellison...
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #5 of 36
Got it set on my DVR
Macbook 2.2GHz (2007)
Mac Mini - 2.4 Ghz (2010)
Macbook 2.2GHz (2007)
Mac Mini - 2.4 Ghz (2010)
post #6 of 36
So can we watch Bloomberg TV on AppleTV?
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

It says Larry Ellison...

you're right
post #8 of 36
The fact that Microsoft is missing from this list speaks pretty loudly.

Evidently it's not just me that thinks Microsoft just isn't much of a factor these days.
post #9 of 36
Microsoft did change the game, it's just we are no longer in the 1980s.
post #10 of 36
Maybe he can ask him how he gets away with the Apple Tax. Every business should be so lucky.
post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Maybe he can ask him how he gets away with the Apple Tax. Every business should be so lucky.

It's got nothing to do with "luck."
post #12 of 36
Quote:

Funny how no one complains when they buy a B+O stereo about the price, yet, buy an Apple product and everyone thinks it should be as cheap as all the other ugly stuff out there.
post #13 of 36
Quote:

The apple tax is to pay for his time machine.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Funny how no one complains when they buy a B+O stereo about the price, yet, buy an Apple product and everyone thinks it should be as cheap as all the other ugly stuff out there.

Or that they never mention the Microsoft Tax when they pay $$ to MS on a PC that doesn't even have Windows on it, or on a phone that doesn't have any MS software on it.

Now THAT's a tax.

Premium prices for a great product are NOT a 'tax'.
post #15 of 36
See, kids of the world... college is a huge waste of time when you're talented and driven... and if you have Aspergers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #16 of 36
It looks the same as the show on a month ago... no Steve on the show, but the people they interviewed were funny...
post #17 of 36
How can they possibly tell Jobs' story in any kind of comprehensive way in just one hour? (Same for most of the other future shows on other people.) You could spend an hour just on Pixar alone.

As for that comment about Asbergers, I don't know (or care) whether Jobs has it, but I think a certain amount of mental disorder is necessary to achieve almost anything earth-shattering because it requires a level of obsessiveness and/or arrogance that I think most psychologists would think is not healthy. "Normal" people seek the approval of others, find balance between work and family and are logical about the potential success of their ideas in the real world, all of which limit what they can achieve.

People like Jobs, Ellison, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc., all have qualities that exhibit what most of us would consider abnormal or undesirable behavior at least some of the time. Same is true for most great artists (Picasso treated women like crap), musicians (John Lennon carried lots of issues about abandonment) and even figures like Ghandi and Martin Luther King.
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

See, kids of the world... college is a huge waste of time when you're talented and driven... and if you have Aspergers.

As lisa simpson found out on last weeks Simpsons while trying to show Nelson how important school was, too bad she ran into Gates, Branson and the thief zuckerbuergenmiester at the trade show.
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Or that they never mention the Microsoft Tax when they pay $$ to MS on a PC that doesn't even have Windows on it, or on a phone that doesn't have any MS software on it.

Now THAT's a tax.

Premium prices for a great product are NOT a 'tax'.

So true GQB, I think MS has done so much monetary damage to, not only PC manufacturers, but also the enduser. Whether they be a corporation or the public. MS has continually marketed subpar, buggy software. And they have gotten away with it! Till now!

It rather reminds me of back in the 70's when American Car manufacturers were complacent enough to produce such "triumphs of engineering" like the Pinto, Vega, Maverick, Javelin, Pacer, etc., etc., The Japanese came in and showed them how to really make a car and money at the same time! MS is a car manufacturer of the '70's and is getting their lunch handed to them now, every time they turn around!

Best
post #20 of 36
When will this air in the UK? Can't see it on the listings
post #21 of 36
What would be hilarious is if they did a section on his late teens and early twenties when he was dropping a little acid every now and then ... the setting could be Woz's old house.

Jobs: I took two hits of acid, and I'm totally trippin right now

Woz: Common Steve ... my parents are going to be home soon!

Jobs: No, no man ... check it out. This stuff really opens your mind ...

Woz: Last time you used it you went on a twenty minute diatribe on Twinkies ...

Jobs: Check it out ... like in the future man ... phones, they won't have any buttons, and they will be able to hold and play all your music and photos and stuff.

Woz: Damn ... you are trippin!
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

As for that comment about Asbergers, I don't know (or care) whether Jobs has it, but I think a certain amount of mental disorder is necessary to achieve almost anything earth-shattering because it requires a level of obsessiveness and/or arrogance that I think most psychologists would think is not healthy. "Normal" people seek the approval of others, find balance between work and family and are logical about the potential success of their ideas in the real world, all of which limit what they can achieve.

Excellent point. In other words, the world would be a very different place without people who "think different."
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Hate to argue with you, Spam, but actually, I think the average Aspergers type has trouble accessing their right hemisphere, whereas SJ seems very strong in that department. Using a phrase like "packages of emphasis" to explain how you arrive at a particular product design is a totally right-brain thing to say (the D8 interview). Or maybe whole-brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

What would be hilarious is if they did a section on his late teens and early twenties when he was dropping a little acid every now and then ... the setting could be Woz's old house.

And I don't think Asperger types do well on acid, at least without a lot preparation and guidance. Nor do they go to India for enlightenment much . . . .

Anyway, I know you were joking, but we don't want to give the Jobsophobes any more excuses for their inability to understand.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Woz: Common Steve ... my parents are going to be home soon!

Jobs: No, no man ... check it out. This stuff really opens your mind ...

Woz: Last time you used it you went on a twenty minute diatribe on Twinkies ...

Jobs: Check it out ... like in the future man ... phones, they won't have any buttons, and they will be able to hold and play all your music and photos and stuff.

Woz: Damn ... you are trippin!

I know you are saying this in jest, but the John Lennon's and Steve Job's of this world are indeed the rare exceptions. I would put it to you that they became a success "in spite" of their drug use as opposed to the use of drugs.

Don't get me wrong! I love beer, but for anything you want to achieve in life, it is usually easier without drugs and alcohol!

Best
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadMac View Post

Agreed and well said!
post #26 of 36
Ball washer. No doubt a premium is paid.
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis View Post

Wot No Steve Ballmer?

My first thought when I read this article!
post #28 of 36
Steve Jobs: Do's.

Steve Ballmer: Don'ts.

Bloomberg should follow up on the Jobs show with a Ballmer show. As in
"Let this be a warning to tech company CEOs. This could be you if you don't innovate."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

No Bill Gates???

No Larry Ellison???

No Jean-Louiss???

No Gil Amelio? How is this possible?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 36
"his failure at NeXT"

Hrm... Really?
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

"his failure at NeXT"

Hrm... Really?

Most, even Steve, acknowledge that NeXT was a failure, but it was a necessary failure that served as a learning and turning point for Steve. You can argue that NeXT was a success in building what became OSX, but it's prima-facie that it was a failure.

All businesses and humans experience failure. It's how we handle those failures and what we learn from them that define us. Most executives and leaders have a refined ability to analyze, learn, and grow from failure.
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know you are saying this in jest, but the John Lennon's and Steve Job's of this world are indeed the rare exceptions. I would put it to you that they became a success "in spite" of their drug use as opposed to the use of drugs.

Don't get me wrong! I love beer, but for anything you want to achieve in life, it is usually easier without drugs and alcohol!

Best

Thanks for the free advice. Here's a must-read for you in return. It's about Steve Jobs, Albert Hofmann, and all the way at the end, Francis Crick, DNA and LSD.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-g..._b_227887.html

Just in case they do their job on Thursday and talk about this phase of SJ's education.
post #33 of 36
Quote:

How can they possibly tell Jobs' story in any kind of comprehensive way in just one hour? (Same for most of the other future shows on other people.) You could spend an hour just on Pixar alone.

People like Jobs, Ellison, Gates, Zuckerberg, etc., all have qualities that exhibit what most of us would consider abnormal or undesirable behavior at least some of the time. Same is true for most great artists (Picasso treated women like crap), musicians (John Lennon carried lots of issues about abandonment) and even figures like Ghandi and Martin Luther King.

This probably happens several times daily around the world, but guys, it is Gandhi not Ghandi. Read out loud, Ghandi can be easily mistaken for a rather distasteful name for any man.
Number of people in ignore list : 1
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Best

Or it could be that it is irrelevant. The people aren't "making it" cuz their on drugs, prbably couldn't make it without drugs either.
The ones that do, can handle their vices (pick anything, not just drugs)
post #35 of 36
Quote:

Believe it or not, the Asperger's comment I made was meant as a compliment. Some of the greatest talents I've known have had some kind of obsessive-compulsive, Asperger's syndrome or other quality that made them the best at what they did.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Microsoft did change the game, it's just we are no longer in the 1980s.

Microsoft changed the game by copying badly and flooding markets, not by innovation, but by stifling the innovation of the competition. To this day, the only "good" things to come out of Microsoft are Active-Directory and Exchange/Office... everything else is basically stolen crap warmed over (including anything NT or Windows related -- Get yet history straight, MS stole all of it from DEC and Apple, respectively... nothing was really taken from Xerox). And since AD is based on OSS LDAP, really that leaves Exchange/Office which was a distant second anyway, but credit where credit is due since there are few contenders in that space, even if it drives us nuts at times. Well... OK, I suppose XBox is a decent product, but it's debatable.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Bloomberg to profile Steve Jobs in one-hour TV special this Thursday