or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

post #1 of 219
Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer insinuated this week that his company's ailing brand holds value for users, more so than rival brands, while at the same time conceding that he's seeing a lot more of Apple's iPads deployed in the real world than he'd like to.

In a sit-down with CNet News.com's Ina Fried, Ballmer was asked whether the wide assortment of Windows Phone 7 handsets introduced this week presents Microsoft with an opportunity to advocate more variety than Apple but perhaps not as much variety and confusion as in the Android space.

"I think you clearly have a lot more variety than Apple has. There's really only one choice in the Apple world," he said. " I think the problem, if you don't have a minimum kind of standard […] the brand means nothing to the user. Our brand means something to the user. It means something to the developer. It implies a certain level of consistency and high quality, which I think is important for the Windows Phone."

Ballmer, whose failures in the mobile space recently cost him half his bonus, was also pressed by Fried on how his company plans to match the extended battery life and instant-on capabilities of the iPad, to which he declined a response.

"I think probably the things of tomorrow are best left for tomorrow and the things of today are best discussed today," he said. "So today, I will focus on Windows Phone."

Still, Fried relentlessly served up tablet question after tablet question, confronting Ballmer -- who recently claimed he can glance at a room and know how many Macs and iPads are there -- about his concerns with the number of iPads he's actually seeing.

"You certainly see more," said Ballmer. "You certainly see more than I would like. One is more than I would like."

"On the other hand, it depends what people are doing," he continued. "Certainly someone who wants to sit and do an interview and take notes and scroll around, they are unlikely to find that device very comfortable. It doesn't stand up on its own. It doesn't have a big screen and keyboard."

Still, the iPad has been out in the open for almost a year now yet faces no direct competitor. With Ballmer recently claiming during an analyst meeting that forging an iPad rival is priority No. 1, Fried prompted him to offer up a ballpark timeframe for Microsoft's answer to the Apple device.

"Like I said, you will see a set of things from our partners, essentially around the holidays," Ballmer said without elaborating. "And then they will get an enhancement (next year) , which I highlighted, from Intel, which will be very valuable, as we get their next generation Oak Trail processors. It's also an important part of our road map."

Readers can check out more of Ballmer's response's in CNet's dual segment (1, 2) interview.
post #2 of 219
Ballmer, again with the "no keyboard"!
bb
bb
post #3 of 219
So by this quote we can assume that Ballmer lives in his windowless office, likely chained to the wall (feces and blood strewn about everywhere) and sleeps in a corner on a cardboard mat made of Windows 3.1 boxes.

How stupid can he get? It's perfectly fine to say that Apple's brand has only negative connotations to users, but to say that it means nothing whatsoever only proves the above.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #4 of 219
oh, Come on! "mean something" Apple not so much? Apple for some user become "Believe", people like to use Apple, but MS Windows just makes people to use. That is different that is the"mean something"!
post #5 of 219
What a nut job that guy is.
post #6 of 219
I give him until July before he get booted out of MS.

On the topic, the reason MS need to have variety of models is because their customer is varied from the cheapskates to not so rich whilst Apple is just one, prestige!
post #7 of 219
Did Ballmer visit a medical marijuana store in a western state just before this interview? The quality of Ballmer's comments prove that he inhaled -- many, many, many times-- before speaking such rubbish.
post #8 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I think you clearly have a lot more variety than Apple has. There's really only one choice in the Apple world," he said. " I think the problem, if you don't have a minimum kind of standard [] the brand means nothing to the user. Our brand means something to the user. It means something to the developer. It implies a certain level of consistency and high quality, which I think is important for the Windows Phone."

This headline does not fairly characterize Ballmer's words. He does not say "Apple's not so much." He does not say Apple's brand "means nothing to the user." The quote could just as easily been directed at the myriad of Android phones as Apple. Seems more attention grabbing and link baiting than actual news.
post #9 of 219
Microsoft's last hope is to fire Steve Ballmer.
post #10 of 219
Um, I don't like the guy but he is being mis-represented.

The lack of branding is an attack on Google, nor Apple. He talks about Apple having only one choice, but then goes onto say that you need a standard. He is missing a "but", however he is obliquely, and correctly attacking Android.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #11 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

This headline does not fairly characterize Ballmer's words. He does not say "Apple's not so much." He does not say Apple's brand "means nothing to the user." The quote could just as easily been directed at the myriad of Android phones as Apple. Seems more attention grabbing and link baiting than actual news.

I agree with you. There is nothing in what Appleinsider wrote that even remotely implies that the Apple brand does not mean anything. It was probably aimed at Android.

Heck, if you look at the article, at the critical junction Appleinsider put . . . . which means they edited something out.

This was a hack job by AI.
post #12 of 219
Quote:
Apple's brand means nothing to users

Interesting.. A lot of people out there are buying Apple product simply because it comes from Apple..
post #13 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Ballmer, again with the "no keyboard"!

Seriously... even if you were desperate for a keyboard, you could get a ClamCase (or whatever they're called).
Besides, a hardware keyboard can be a downfall in quite a few scenarios, especially those that involve limited room.
Next up: MS introduces all-touchscreen tablet; Ballmer says that it's perfect and a hardware keyboard is unnecessary.
post #14 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I give him until July before he get booted out of MS.

On the topic, the reason MS need to have variety of models is because their customer is varied from the cheapskates to not so rich whilst Apple is just one, prestige!

This is very confusing. All of the released phones cost $199, same as the iPhone 4, and you can buy the 3Gs for $99. So, if MS customers are cheapskates, are Apple customers destitute?
post #15 of 219
Groan..... Here we go again.
post #16 of 219
More sh*t slinging from the big, fat, sweaty, hairy, monkey ape himself off in La La Land.
post #17 of 219
Okay, I'm sorry but WHAT IN THE HELL is up with the dude interviewing Ballmer. Looks like he's wearing a sweater he took out of his sisters closet, then stole his grandmothers glasses....

Or are we all supposed to pretend he's a girl? And that freaking girl hairstyle..... which he doesn't pull off at all.... is he also wearing a bra?

Is this an idiot who can't accept he was born with a Penis? As for the MS phone..... Lame as always..... I'd be surprised if Gates throws out Ballmer though. He's such an incredible dork that he actually makes Gates look slightly less dorky.

I'm sorry... I still can't get over the CNET interviewer..... Gag!
post #18 of 219
Why would anyone in their right mind "choose" to spend $200 and 2 years with a Window 7 phone? If they cannot make up their mind between an iPhone and an Android phone, picking a phone with zero track record from a company run by a man with Delusions. The choice is obvious... iPhone...
post #19 of 219
"I think probably the things of tomorrow are best left for tomorrow and the things of today are best discussed today," he said. "So today, I will focus on Windows Phone."

Since when is Microsoft afraid to play the vaporware game??
post #20 of 219
This guy continues to prove over & over again that he is in denial and completely delusional.
post #21 of 219
Wake up man. Your enemy is Google, not Apple.
Google and Microsoft are fighting to get low end customers and Apple only focuses on the mid to high end customers.
post #22 of 219
It's getting really tedious that companies can't build appreciation for their products without tearing down a competitor's.

Most are guilty of it, I know, doesn't make my statement any less true.
post #23 of 219
Most people haven't worked out that he wasn't attacking Apple's brand, despite the headline.

Whatever.

/Gets popcorn
post #24 of 219
In comparing Steve Jobs to Steve Ballmer, all I can conjure are the wisdom-infused words of Sun Tzu:

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. - in an interview with Shaolin Wen of 36 Chambers magazine, 537 B.C.
post #25 of 219
When Apple shortly becomes the most market valuable company in the world, I hope the shareholders of Microsoft rise up and demand Bill Gates' college roommate's head.

It is sad to see such an American giant such as Microsoft come to this. It's useless people like Balmer who have done so much damage to our standing in the world.
post #26 of 219
Balmer tried to copy the Jobs Reality Distortion Field, but obviously he screwed up and made it an internal field, rather than an external field.

How many people are driving around with Microsoft stickers on their back windows? That's a good measure of how much a brand means to consumers.
post #27 of 219
It's had to imagine the board hasn't fired him.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.5 (10H574) - 15" iMac G4/800MHz 1GB
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.5 (10H574) - 15" iMac G4/800MHz 1GB
post #28 of 219
Just no class. It seems that it would be better if playing the expectations game to prop up the competitor leaving room for the MSFT products. It's as if he has to have an answer for everything, and when there is not a favorable answer, he makes it up.

Anyone know who will succeed him?
post #29 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Most people haven't worked out that he wasn't attacking Apple's brand, despite the headline.

Whatever.

/Gets popcorn

They do not want to realize that Ballmer was not talking about Apple, because then they would not be able to say bad things about MS.

Remember, for the masses, the delusion is preferable to reality.
post #30 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tethernaut View Post

How many people are driving around with Microsoft stickers on their back windows? That's a good measure of how much a brand means to consumers.

Agree on the stickers, I feel very proud when using an Apple product. 2 large, 3 small stickers on the car, we are a 5 person mac using family.
post #31 of 219
Quote:
Our brand means something to the user.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
post #32 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyelin View Post

Wake up man. Your enemy is Google, not Apple.
Google and Microsoft are fighting to get low end customers and Apple only focuses on the mid to high end customers.

Again, this makes no sense. The phones cost the same - the iPhone is not more expensive than an Android or WP7 phone, so how are Android and WP7 customers low end?
post #33 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tethernaut View Post

How many people are using Windows PCs? That's also a good measure of how much a brand means to consumers.
post #34 of 219
what MS brand's mean to users: reboots, powercycles, BSDs, Apple's not so much
post #35 of 219
Quote:

He is missing a "but"

About the only thing Ballmer is NOT missing is a 'butt'.
post #36 of 219
+1 to everyone who has pointed out the article and headline are extremely misleading.

The oddly dressed interviewer asks the monkey if he thinks the Windows 7 thing finds the middle ground between no choice on the Apple side and too much fragmentation on the Android side. Monkey then says Apple only provides one choice and then explains the the Microsoft approach is to have good standards and therefore the brand means something to users. There is no doubt that part about standards and brand was in response to the Android part of the question.
post #37 of 219
OMG OMG OMG And this guy is running Microsoft - into the ground! Even if one were brain dead, just read the stupid surveys and studies! Few brands today are as valuable - mean as much to consumers - as Apple.
post #38 of 219
Once Bill Gates turned the MS helm over to Ballmer the trouble began. The MS results under Ballmer's leadership have been unspectacular at best. He's obviously in over his head.

His comments about the undisputedly fading Microsoft brand obviously demonstrate his lack of clarity and understanding of today's marketplace.

Sad to see the once respected Microsoft brand fade into the mud and mire of today's marketplace ... and even sadder, particularly for Microsoft's shareholders, to see the Captain of their ship so in over his head.

Wonder if John Sculley is available?

Lowejazz
post #39 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

I agree with you. There is nothing in what Appleinsider wrote that even remotely implies that the Apple brand does not mean anything. It was probably aimed at Android.

Heck, if you look at the article, at the critical junction Appleinsider put . . . . which means they edited something out.

This was a hack job by AI.

Quote:

Whatever.

/Gets popcorn

True, true and true. People's comments should be directed toward the AI fail in this post.
post #40 of 219
Who is this "Steve Ballmer" guy? A comedian, I'm assuming?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]