or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]

Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users] - Page 5

post #161 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaarsoft View Post

Choice? Why would I choose a phone with a slide-out keyboard in landscape mode when most of the OS doesn't rotate? .

If you were heavily into IM that might appeal to you. I see kids using IM constantly, for hours at a time.

Before my kid got his Palm Pre Plus, he used a phone with a sideways slider, because he was constantly IMing.
post #162 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

I think Ina's tag line says it pretty well: During her years at CNET News, Ina Fried has changed beats several times, changed genders once, and covered both of the Pirates of Silicon Valley. These days, most of her attention is focused on Microsoft.

Probably shouldn't spout off stupid crap when you haven't bothered to check out the information.

I've read her stuff since back when she was a he. She's a first-class reporter. Always has been. One of the few I pay attention to.
post #163 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgm View Post

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

** WIN!!! **
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #164 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

Okay, I'm sorry but WHAT IN THE HELL is up with the dude interviewing Ballmer. Looks like he's wearing a sweater he took out of his sisters closet, then stole his grandmothers glasses....

Or are we all supposed to pretend he's a girl? And that freaking girl hairstyle..... which he doesn't pull off at all.... is he also wearing a bra?

Is this an idiot who can't accept he was born with a Penis? As for the MS phone..... Lame as always..... I'd be surprised if Gates throws out Ballmer though. He's such an incredible dork that he actually makes Gates look slightly less dorky.

I'm sorry... I still can't get over the CNET interviewer..... Gag!

Upon retirement from the NLGJA National Board at the 2008 NLGJA national convention in Washington, DC, Fried was honored with both a Distinguished Service Award and a Women's Distinguished Service Award.[5]
Journalism awards:
Three time winner of NewsBios/TJFR award: NewsBios/TJFR "30 Most Influential Business Journalists Under 30."[6][7][8]
Western Publications Association for Outstanding Editorial Content's Maggie Award.[9]
Society of Professional Journalists (Northern California Chapter) Excellence in Journalism Award Winner: 2005 Breaking News (shared), 2005 Feature Writing.[10][11]
Society of Professional Journalists' 2003 Sigma Delta Chi Awards for excellence in journalism: Deadline Reporting (Independent): Ina Fried, CNET News.com, (shared) for reporting about vulnerable technology and how the MSBlast virus spread.[12]
post #165 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBLACK View Post

People always bring their computers to me looking like this. Its such a pain in the ass to manage software on the windows platform.

You go to the control panel and use Add/Remove Applications. On OS X, you drag the app to the trash - and have no idea how many preference and other files it left behind.

I totally agree that icons all over the desktop annoys me too. But that's the convention in Windows-land, and LOTS of people run their machines that way.

Quote:
On top of that there are all the crappy drivers, utilities, and adware that manufacturers and vendors throw on there. It really just pisses me off. Thats why I switched to Mac.

This one is hard to blame on MS. They make the core OS, sell it to OEMs and wash their hands. The OEMs make $$$ preloading all that adware. And they COULD use better hardware with better drivers, but that would raise their cost, and the Windows world is dominated by "race to the bottom" hardware vendors.

This is the huge problem MS has. As a pure software provider, they can only lean on the hardware manufacturers so hard. And they can only optimize their code so much. Google has it even worse with Android. Apple (and Nokia I guess) control the whole widget and so can dictate the user experience much easier.

With regard to the article:
+1 to those calling out AI for the misquote. What Ballmer has to say about WP7 is interesting enough without falsely frothing up the Apple fanbois.

If MS can make a good business suite integrated with Office and Exchange, they'll make a killing in the corporate world and hurt RIM more than Apple.

I've yet to see WP7's answer to Apple's App Store. The App Store has had problems to be sure, but it's easy to get apps and manage the apps on the iPhone.

MS's media strategy appears to be to let third parties handle it (U-Verse). I think this will hurt WP7 as carriers and media providers partner up and lock out other sources (Verizon, I'm looking at you).

My expectation in general is that MS will give the manufacturers and carriers a lot of leeway in what they do with WP7 and that will hurt the overall user experience just as it has with Windows.

But if MS did even a half-decent job, they'll still sell by the millions. And in the end, that's all that matters - to MS.

- Jasen.
post #166 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeav View Post

I have been thinking this for years. Ballmer has been destroying Microsoft.

Sticking your head in the sand is not a corporate strategy, but it's been Ballmer's only comeback for the last five years.

Microsoft shareholders continue to put themselves in peril every day they keep Ballmer at the helm.

Is there a betting pool online for when Ballmer gets canned? I'll sign up....
post #167 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgm View Post

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

** WIN!!! **
post #168 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

I totally agree that icons all over the desktop annoys me too. But that's the convention in Windows-land, and LOTS of people run their machines that way.

- Jasen.

That's one of the things I hate most about iOS. Before Apple added folders, all the icons were strewn. And worst of all, they were strewn on different pages, and moved around by themselves.

Now they have folders, but all the Folders icons look pretty much exactly the same.

The entire manner of selecting an app is horrible on the iPhone. There's no good way to store things so they are easy to find. Your only choices are to have everything strewn all over, or put them into folders where the icons are all the same. It sucks big time.
post #169 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

Steve Ballmer is out of touch ... in fact, if he were smart and forward thinking, he would be developing iPad apps. But instead, he complains and whines like a big baby for the most part.

Good point. Rather than saying that Apple is selling more iPads or iPhones than he'd like, it would be better for him to say, "We congratulate Apple on their success..." and then cash in on that success by building MS Office for iOS. Imagine: iOS versions of Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. at $5 each, multiplied by, oh, I'll just toss out a number here, 10,000,000 iOS devices, and Microsoft has the potential to generate close to $250,000,000 in revenue. So much for Apple selling more devices than Ballmer would like.
post #170 of 219
Microsoft is not to be taken lightly even if it has Steve Ballmer at the top.
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
Most of us employ the Internet not to seek the best information, but rather to select information that confirms our prejudices. - Nicholas D. Kristof
post #171 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWatch View Post

oh ya, I forgot viruses!

That is not because of the quality of either of the OS. Simply because Windows is more widely used at home and in corporations this system become the main target to get the data from users.
It is all about efficiency.
post #172 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Interesting.. A lot of people out there are buying Apple product simply because it comes from Apple..

I went to a reseller in China for an Iphone 4 16g at USD800.00 I went away without a phone because the waiting list was 1000 and resupply was 3 or 4 a day. These guys in this small town dont know much about Apple and certainly never had an Apple product.
post #173 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadash View Post

"Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. In this way every prediction made by the Party could be shown by documentary evidence to have been correct; nor was any item of news, or any expression of opinion, which conflicted with the needs of the moment, ever allowed to remain on record. All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary."

Awesome quote. The irony being that many here will have no clue as to it's origin.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #174 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Proud? Its a electronic device that somebody else created. You are not that special, you just use it.

Have you never experienced "pride of ownership" ? When people come into my home and see my Mac their eyes light up (in most cases) and they start to ask me all kind of questions. It's the same reaction you get when you buy a new car and people want to ask you all about it. The difference is, with a car the feeling wears off after awhile while the Mac experience just acts like the energizer bunny ..... it just keeps going and going and going. My wish for you is that you get to experience that at least once in your life .... then you will understand "fanboyism".
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #175 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Have you never experienced \\\\\\"pride of ownership\\\\\\" ? When people come into my home and see my Mac their eyes light up (in most cases) and they start to ask me all kind of questions. It\\\\\\'s the same reaction you get when you buy a new car and people want to ask you all about it. The difference is, with a car the feeling wears off after awhile while the Mac experience just acts like the energizer bunny ..... it just keeps going and going and going. My wish for you is that you get to experience that at least once in your life .... then you will understand \\\\\\"fanboyism\\\\\\".

I recently read a good article on the phenomenon: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/...brand-loyalty/

Some quotes:

Add this sort of loyalty to something expensive, or a hobby which demands a large investment of time and money, and you get a fanboy. They defend their favorite stuff and ridicule the competition, ignoring facts if they contradict their emotional connection...

On the other hand, if the product is unnecessary, like an iPad, there is a great chance the customer will become a fanboy because they had to choose to spend a big chunk of money on it. Its the choosing one thing over another which leads to narratives about why you did it.

If you have to rationalize why you bought a luxury item, you will probably find ways to see how it fits in with your self-image.

Branding builds on this by giving you the option to create the person you think you are through choosing to align yourself with the mystique of certain products.
post #176 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

That's one of the things I hate most about iOS. Before Apple added folders, all the icons were strewn. And worst of all, they were strewn on different pages, and moved around by themselves.

Now they have folders, but all the Folders icons look pretty much exactly the same.

The entire manner of selecting an app is horrible on the iPhone. There's no good way to store things so they are easy to find. Your only choices are to have everything strewn all over, or put them into folders where the icons are all the same. It sucks big time.

On the iPhone you have 5 ways to to access apps:

1) Dock: place high use apps in the bottom dock
-- they are always visible on the desktop
-- tap to select app
-- exit app returns to desktop where you left it

2) Desktop: place them on the desktop
-- scroll to desired desktop pane
-- tap to select app

3) Folders: place them in folders with similar apps
-- scroll to desired desktop pane
-- tap desired folder
-- tap to select app
-- exit app returns to open folder where you left it
-- close folder returns to desktop where you left it

4) Search: Spotlight search by [partial] name or keywords
-- tap, then tap home button (or left swipe from desktop pane 1) to bring up search
-- enter partial name or keyword
-- scroll and tap selected app

5) Back and Forth: double-tap home button to open task tray of recent apps
-- scroll and tap selected app

Go to the following URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gngr3...yer_embedded#!

At about 4:34 in it shows app access on WP7. (Apparently the presenter is unaware of the search capability of iOS).

Here are the WP7 ways to access apps (3 ways):

A) Active Tiles: Put high-use apps in Active tiles on the desktop
-- vertically scroll to the desired tile
-- tap selected tile
-- exit app returns to the top of Active Tile list, rather than where you left it

B) Desktop List: Flick left from the start screen shows an alphabetic list of all apps
-- vertically scroll list
-- tap to select app
-- unclear what happens on exit app.. returns to the top of Active Tile list, rather that where you left it?

C) Back History:
-- tap the back button to open prior app
-- repeat to go back through history
-- unclear what happens on exit app.. returns to the top of Active Tile list, rather that where you left it?

While WP7 navigation appears more elegant with a few apps in Active Tiles or the Alphabetic list -- it quickly will become tedious to use with a lot of apps or activity.

Basically, you have 3 Genisis-type options to locate an app:

1) Start at the beginning of the active tiles list
2) Start at the beginning of the alphabetical applications list
3) Start at the end of the app history and go backwards only, one app at a time (back button)

We have hundreds of apps on our iDevices, shared among 2 adults and 3 teenagers. While not perfect, iOS navigation is superior to this rather simplistic WP7 facade.

I do like the concept of Active Tiles, if done with taste and moderation. But with an alpha list and back button as the only underpinning-- WP7 really has only basic navigation (meets minimum requirements), at best.

... and Active Tiles are, sadly, nothing more than attractive and distracting Potemkin village.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #177 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

True. Let's put that on a tablet ...

enterprise OSes are quite different than consumer-grade OSes for a tablet.
post #178 of 219
Quote:

I recently read a good article on the phenomenon: http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/05/...brand-loyalty/
Branding builds on this by giving you the option to create the person you think you are through choosing to align yourself with the mystique of certain products.

It's interesting to note that the "blogger" who wrote this "advice" has a degree in journalism ..... not psychology. fwiw
post #179 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

While WP7 navigation appears more elegant with a few apps in Active Tiles or the Alphabetic list -- it quickly will become tedious to use with a lot of apps or activity.

Maybe the iPhone\\'s navigation is almost as elegant as WP7, but I still miss my PalmOS devices. They were light years ahead in basic of areas, like finding and launching apps.

Alas, I won\\'t be experiencing the elegance of a WP7 phone, given that the OS restricts you from installing the software you might prefer over the software that happens to be for sale by the OS supplier. Yeah - the app launcher might be better than Apple\\'s, but that ain\\'t saying much.

I have little to no interest in getting a WindozePhone7 Phone.
post #180 of 219
Ballmer sat that softball on a 3 1/2 ft. tall 'tee' so anyone could knock this one out of the park.

You're right MicroShaft means something to users.. It means a lifetime (if you can tolerate ulcers that long) of grief...hacked O/S's, endless 'add on' software and shaky hardware that may cost you thousands of dollars, UGLY viruses, continuous hacks because EVERYONE in the business knows how to hack ANY version of Winders, and the list goes on and on and on and on...

MicroShaft makes the WORST SOFTWARE ON EARTH!! IF, you are crazy enough to realize anything different - you're own your own.
post #181 of 219
Quote:

It\\'s interesting to note that the \\"blogger\\" who wrote this \\"advice\\" has a degree in journalism ..... not psychology. fwiw

I\\'m more interested in his statements and his reasoning than I am in his degree.

If he had 20 degrees in psychology I\\'d still evaluate his every statement and search for cogent support.

It is very possible to carefully choose one\\'s sources, and to believe what they say. To bow to their authority. But that is an unreliable method of finding truth, IMO.

Instead, one should look at the message, and not the messenger. One should be skeptical, even when the messenger is an authority on the subject. Otherwise, one inevitably discards some valuable insights and respects some utter rubbish.
post #182 of 219
Quote:

Maybe the iPhone\\'s navigation is almost as elegant as WP7, but I still miss my PalmOS devices. They were light years ahead in basic of areas, like finding and launching apps.

Alas, I won\\'t be experiencing the elegance of a WP7 phone, given that the OS restricts you from installing the software you might prefer over the software that happens to be for sale by the OS supplier. Yeah - the app launcher might be better than Apple\\'s, but that ain\\'t saying much.

I have little to no interest in getting a WindozePhone7 Phone.

I'd agree to iPhone navigation vs WP7 navigation: slightly less elegant (at the highest level), but much more practical (utilitarian) at all levels.

Likely, future releases of WP7 will include multi-dimensional navigation options:
-- folders
-- search
-- fast task switching

Yes, the PalmOS, from what I've seen looks interesting -- it appears to have depth as well as breadth, and seemed very intuitive.

I have heard rumors of new HP/Palm smart phones and tablets -- I think that PalmOS (WebOS) will scale nicely to the larger form factor.

post #183 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have heard rumors of new HP/Palm smart phones and tablets -- I think that PalmOS (WebOS) will scale nicely to the larger form factor.

IIRC, HP announced new WebOS products, so it may be official, and not just a rumor.

My kid loves his Pre Plus. He was excited to hear about WebOS 2.0 and their announcement of plans for a slate computer using it.

I\\'ll be very interested to see if HP can attract developers. While they have all the major titles that most anybody wants, my impression is that there is much less depth, especially in some categories, than is available with iOS devices.

And the niche titles are missing too. So if, for example, you collect bottle caps, you might find cool software on iOS that is not available on WebOS.

But all in all, I think that HP has a great opportunity here, and I\\'m very interested to see how they play it out.
post #184 of 219
Quote:

I\\'m more interested in his statements and his reasoning than I am in his degree.

I saw a lot of opinion in his blog .... but didn't note a lot of reasoning .... maybe it's just me.
post #185 of 219
As long as Ballmer is in charge of M$ it wont go anywhere other than down. And that is fine with me.
post #186 of 219
Honestly I wish MS would go back to just writing software. Why doesn't MS make some quality software for iPad/Android? Is Balmer really that pigheaded to believe MS can come back when they are already this far behind?
post #187 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

That is not because of the quality of either of the OS. Simply because Windows is more widely used at home and in corporations this system become the main target to get the data from users.
It is all about efficiency.

The security by obscurity myth is still alive and well, it looks like. I take it you haven't been around these boards long, nor have read much on many Mac sites. Your explanation is just that, a myth.

The Classic Mac OS had a few (as in, literally, a few) viruses. Mac OS X? 0, zilch, nada, nix, none. It's been, what, 10 years? There are millions more OS X based Macs than there ever were Macs running Classic Mac OS. There are three to four million new Macs each quarter that are being used at home, in the work place, and in universities. Mac users especially like to take their Macs in to work and school because they hate using Windows. Mac users log on and off multiple public and private networks every day with complete impunity (and with a lot more ease than PC users).

So, why are there NO viruses on OS X? Maybe due to its Unix underpinnings and its modular Mach MSD architecture that was made from the ground up for multiple users, etc. due to its Next legacy. OS X users are a great target, and yet there are no viruses. There are small businesses (like mine) and medium ones and non-profits which are all-Mac shops and they have NO full-time IT people. Surely, idiots like me can't expect to run a business with multiple Macs, day in day out, year after year, doing the minimal troubleshooting (a few minutes a month perhaps)... without making some kind of technical mistake that would result in some kind of outside attack, some loss of business or loss of productivity? Is fortune smiling on all Mac users equally strongly? I guess we are all just incredibly naive and lucky? Or, maybe it has something to do with the way that OS X is engineered, and designed to be pretty much idiot-proof.

It's simply due to poor choices and shortcuts made by MS; it's due to MS refusing to make a break with the past and start with something fresh and modern; it's due to the default user settings and system access; its due to the screwed up Windows registry; it's due to all the ports left open; it's due to the fact that once something malicious gets installed on a PC, the owner doesn't know what the heck is running and where it is; it's due to the fact that within 30 seconds of being on the internet, every PC is hanging out a big sign saying Come and Get Me over the front door and a big Kick Me sign over the back door...
post #188 of 219
Time after time Apple shows Microsoft how to make a OS, how to make a phone, how to make a music player and still ms can't copy it well enough to make a good product.
post #189 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviou View Post

The Microsoft brand, to me has special meanings:
2. Bad drivers translated from Korean to English by an overworked, borderline-suicidal poor hindu dude that gets paid slave wages to feed this heaping pile of garbage code that is the windows universe;

All your base are belong to us
post #190 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by grking View Post

Please show me any evidence that WP7 phones will be subjected to a BOGO.

Time, baby time. This thing will sink faster than the Kin and they COULDN'T give those away!
Besides, there is probably a lot more money under the table coming from Google to kill the Windows phone platform. Who do you think made Verizon sell the Kin with those stupid plans that killed it?
Hmmmm!! I wonder??

"Don't be evil." (As long as someone's watching)
post #191 of 219
wow i really want the ipad, everytime i open my door it slams shut. i wish i had somethin to keep it wedged open that would really help.
post #192 of 219
I recently purchased an Ipad myself there my dear Duffel, it is quite exquisite i must say. Oh old chap i shall ipad us a place to play a vigorous game of shuffle board this beautiful sunny afternoon. Afterwards we can enjoy a splash of tea and nice game of chess. I must be going now, my stew is just about done!
post #193 of 219
Quote:

I saw a lot of opinion in his blog .... but didn't note a lot of reasoning .... maybe it's just me.

Nope, it's not just you. Just how long will Gates tolerate his buddy running the company into the ground? I mean, he's got his other buddy Allen suing Apple to try to slow them down, but he needs to have a nice talk with Ballmer. Maybe go fishing?? Godfather II???
post #194 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinDave View Post

Who is this "Steve Ballmer" guy? A comedian, I'm assuming?

no he has oral sex with steve jobs quite frequently. but he is also known for his halarious jokes and he is remarkably good at water polo
post #195 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gilliam View Post

I recently purchased an Ipad myself there my dear Duffel, it is quite exquisite i must say. Oh old chap i shall ipad us a place to play a vigorous game of shuffle board this beautiful sunny afternoon. Afterwards we can enjoy a splash of tea and nice game of chess. I must be going now, my stew is just about done!

thats amazing did you have really small shuffle board peices that you slid across the screen?
post #196 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Duffel View Post

no he has oral sex with steve jobs quite frequently. but he is also known for his halarious jokes and he is remarkably good at water polo

I must say there! my pants seem to be bulging quite nicely to that one!
post #197 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Microsoft is not to be taken lightly even if it has Steve Ballmer at the top.

As long as they have Jerry Seinfeld, they're unstoppable!!!
post #198 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gilliam View Post

I must say there! my pants seem to be bulging quite nicely to that one!

me too! dont splurge on your keyboard, it takes a while to clean it off
post #199 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

As long as they have Jerry Seinfeld, they're unstoppable!!!

Seinfeld oh what a classic show based on nothing! Hoochie mama! These pretzels are making me thirsty! My name is George, Im unemployed and I live at my parents! Yada yada yada! In conclusion, newman you are the least bit funny.
post #200 of 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewChugr View Post

Time after time Apple shows Microsoft how to make a OS, how to make a phone, how to make a music player and still ms can't copy it well enough to make a good product.

wow how ignorant are you? the top selling os is the android softwear. so gtfo fanboy
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Ballmer: Microsoft's brand 'means something' to users]