or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › avoiding IOS4 on iPad?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

avoiding IOS4 on iPad?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I must say that I don't like iOS 4 on my iPhone, so I'd like to avoid upgrading my iPad.

The beauty of IOS is that users are focused on tasks, rather than the operation of a computer. When I need a piece of information, or wish to accomplish a specific task, I use the proper app. Being interrupted, or having my precious screen real estate being consumed by a large advertisement not only annoys me, but actually prevents me from accomplishing my task.

For example, I have always read the Huffington Post. But their enormous ad for the horror flick Paranormal Activity endlessly ate up my screen and seriously impacted my user experience. I have since deleted the app.

As for the iPad, I do not care for folders, printing or multitaksing (which apparently eats up the battery if an app isn't closed in a particular manner.) No do I want advertisements. So I will not upgrade, and I will continue to judge applications by their overall experience, an experience now impacted by advertising.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinLondon View Post

I must say that I don't like iOS 4 on my iPhone, so I'd like to avoid upgrading my iPad.

The beauty of IOS is that users are focused on tasks, rather than the operation of a computer. When I need a piece of information, or wish to accomplish a specific task, I use the proper app. Being interrupted, or having my precious screen real estate being consumed by a large advertisement not only annoys me, but actually prevents me from accomplishing my task.

For example, I have always read the Huffington Post. But their enormous ad for the horror flick Paranormal Activity endlessly ate up my screen and seriously impacted my user experience. I have since deleted the app.

As for the iPad, I do not care for folders, printing or multitaksing (which apparently eats up the battery if an app isn't closed in a particular manner.) No do I want advertisements. So I will not upgrade, and I will continue to judge applications by their overall experience, an experience now impacted by advertising.

Not wanting ads is a spurious reason, ads were put in iPhone apps since the beginning. I just buy app that didn't have ads, often there is a free version with ads and a paid version with more features and no ads, or use a competing app without ads. In the case of Huff Post, you can use their web site.

I have yet to see an iAd. And iAd isn't the only ad system used for iOS, it's just the native system.

I don't know if iOS multitasking eats battery. What "multitasking" is good for on iOS is that it does a much better job of remembering the state of the app when you left it, so you're a lot less likely to waste time to get back to a particular point in the app, and it will usually remember data that you've entered when you switch away, so the penalty for switching between different apps is a lot lower.
post #3 of 7
So buy apps without ads. This can't possibly be any sort of real problem in any sense of the word.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't know if iOS multitasking eats battery.

Sometimes it does... for instance if you leave a multi-tasking aware app that uses GPS, it will continue to monitor/track position. (The GPS radio, when in use, uses more juice.) That's great, and necessary if you WANT it to... when you're gonna switch back to it and want it to monitor "stuff" ... but if you left it with no intent of going back any time soon, it's just sitting there eating electricity unless you go into the tray and "force" it to shut down completely.
Same would go for an app that was using an internet connection in the background... WiFi and 3G will use battery much faster when constantly in use.

I'm with the group that would like to see a System Preference switch to enable/disable multitasking. (I really don't have any need for it at this point, but that's not to say I won't someday find that killer app that would make me want to take advantage of it.) I wouldn't want to move BACK to 3.x though, as I find folders to be terribly handy!
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Sometimes it does... for instance if you leave a multi-tasking aware app that uses GPS,

The ability for Apps to run in background is really really limited. GPS apps are one exception. But unless you are actively navigating to a destination, it won't be using any resources at all.

This fear of multi-tasking eating battery is pure hysteria.

C.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

This fear of multi-tasking eating battery is pure hysteria.

I'll grant you that MOST apps won't consume resources while in the background, but it is a fact (not hysteria) that SOME do... and when they do, they can have a HUGE effect on battery life.

It may not affect everyone, but it's not hysteria.

Again, it could be fixed with a simple preferences slider to enable/disable.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #7 of 7
[QUOTE=KingOfSomewhereHot;1732526]I'll grant you that MOST apps won't consume resources while in the background, but it is a fact (not hysteria) that SOME do... and when they do, they can have a HUGE effect on battery life.

Perhaps you could support this with an example?

The only instance of a background app eating battery in my experience is from a jailbroken phone. Apple's multi-tasking implementation is dramatically more power efficient.
C.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › avoiding IOS4 on iPad?