or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Oct 20 Back to the Mac Event

Oct 20 Back to the Mac Event

post #1 of 15
Heh, giz beats AI on OS X news...what? You guys didn't get an invite?

http://gizmodo.com/5662920/apple-bac...yline=true&s=i
post #2 of 15
It's interesting that they bring up 10.7 Lion at this time and not WWDC. If a new release is coming soon, it means they are sticking closer to the usual OS update cycles.

I wonder if the main developments will be bringing IOS improvements back to the Mac side. I would assume some developments will go in given that their engineers will work on both codebases.

Some new laptops would be good too for the school starters. I wish they'd get rid of the white laptop. It looks nice but plastic is so cheap looking and it creaks. Throw out the optical, restructure the internals a bit, make it like the MBA, drop the MBA and everybody wins.

The metal appearance in the invite could allude to the use of liquid metal in the new laptops.
post #3 of 15
I most hope they announce Resolution Independence for OS X. It's long overdue. And by that I mean my eyes are getting worse!

That and NTFS write support and FTP uploading in Finder.

Also I hope they don't make OS X look like iTunes 10. I wish I could downgrade back to iTunes 9, the new interface is bizarre, I can't differentiate between buttons since they are all grey, no color, icons all look the same, the new controls, same thing, they are just fugly, looks like a bad WinAmp skin. Or..there again, it could be my crappy eyes!
"Overpopulation and climate change are serious shit." Gilsch
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
"I was really curious how they had managed such fine granularity of alienation." addabox
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I most hope they announce Resolution Independence for OS X.

WOO. Remember when they promised us this in Tiger? Good times.

Quote:
That and NTFS write support

Already there, just not enabled by default.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's interesting that they bring up 10.7 Lion at this time and not WWDC. If a new release is coming soon, it means they are sticking closer to the usual OS update cycles.

I am afraid that we would already know if a release of a major Mac OS X update was close. I would give it one year at least from now. More next week of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wish they'd get rid of the white laptop. It looks nice but plastic is so cheap looking and it creaks. Throw out the optical, restructure the internals a bit, make it like the MBA, drop the MBA and everybody wins.

This sounds like a good plan. Ditching the optical drive would be a dramatic change if it concerned all the Mac portables. However I still believe that it has to go at some point, why not this autumn? In this case, Apple should simply adjust (to the lower) the price of the external superdrive they already sell.
post #6 of 15
Quote:

Also I hope they don't make OS X look like iTunes 10.

Yes, it would be nice if they brought back the "Platinum" look. Apple can have a global theme only they can change, but at least make it so users can change their account's theme.
post #7 of 15
With OSX 10.5 Apple produced an OS that longstanding Windows users like me could easily get their heads around. The filing system was brilliantly intuitive and easy to use and you could even right click with a mouse. OSX 10.6 simply fined-tuned everything.

I love the way OSX looks and works. It is quite simply a work of genius. My fear with 10.7 is that Apple will mess with it. in doing so they may add unnecessary features that interfere with its present glorious simplicity and ease of use. It ain't broke, so for heaven's sake don't fix it.

That said, does anyone actually use spaces? I don't, not least because Office had so many issues with it. Even if it worked, there has to be a better way to organise multiple windows... oh yes, it's called expose. They already have it. in other words, I'd like Apple to strip out all extraneous functionality to make the core OS is feather light in file size and blisteringly fast in terms of speed. If I wanted just one thing in my laptop, it would be the ability to boot-up in under 10 seconds. Instant-on would be awesome.

So, please Apple, if you want your cat to have nine lives, keep it simple and don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

My fear with 10.7 is that Apple will mess with it. in doing so they may add unnecessary features that interfere with its present glorious simplicity and ease of use ...

there's always the chance that many of the changes are at least one layer beneath the UI so you'll won't interact directly with the features / improvements.

10.7 is a point release so i don't foresee drastic changes.
post #9 of 15
Quote:

...and you could even right click with a mouse.

I'm curious what this means. I've been right-clicking since at least System 7 (can't remember before about five years old).

post #10 of 15
Quote:

That said, does anyone actually use spaces? I don't, not least because Office had so many issues with it. Even if it worked, there has to be a better way to organise multiple windows... oh yes, it's called expose. They already have it. in other words, I'd like Apple to strip out all extraneous functionality to make the core OS is feather light in file size and blisteringly fast in terms of speed. If I wanted just one thing in my laptop, it would be the ability to boot-up in under 10 seconds. Instant-on would be awesome.

I use Spaces regularly, and never use Expose (did a long time ago). Guess it's just the way my brain works. However, there are some bugs with Spaces that can be a pain (and can require a restart... which I though OSX was not supposed to ned). Maybe I'll give Expose a try again...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #11 of 15
I looooove Spaces and Expose. Mostly Expose. For some reason sometimes Spaces gets triggered randomly, like without doing anything! Some weird bug or something, I know it's been documented.

Well troberts I liked OS 9 Platinum. But something iTunes 10, I don't know...just doesn't seem friendly.

Tallest Skil I know NTFS is there under the hood but I just mean they should let users be able to use the write. Maybe they need to debug or something? But NTFS FUSE 3G or whatever has been around for so long I would hope they will have this turned on by 10.7 if not 10.5.6 or 10.5.7.
post #12 of 15
Quote:

Tallest Skil I know NTFS is there under the hood but I just mean they should let users be able to use the write. Maybe they need to debug or something? But NTFS FUSE 3G or whatever has been around for so long I would hope they will have this turned on by 10.7 if not 10.5.6 or 10.5.7.

No, not that. Apple wrote their own driver that is part of Snow Leopard but is turned off.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785376

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

I am afraid that we would already know if a release of a major Mac OS X update was close. I would give it one year at least from now. More next week of course.

This sounds like a good plan. Ditching the optical drive would be a dramatic change if it concerned all the Mac portables. However I still believe that it has to go at some point, why not this autumn? In this case, Apple should simply adjust (to the lower) the price of the external superdrive they already sell.

The do not 'already sell' what you describe.

Apple does not sell an external SuperDrive that works with all Macs. For some bizarre reason they decided to lock it out for use with anything but the Air and the Mini server.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The do not 'already sell' what you describe.

Apple does not sell an external SuperDrive that works with all Macs. For some bizarre reason they decided to lock it out for use with anything but the Air and the Mini server.

For me this means that they already sell it. It is a matter of decision to "unlock" it and make it more widely available when they see fit.
post #15 of 15
Quote:

That said, does anyone actually use spaces?

Many people I would say, and not only Unix/Linux veterans. I have constantly at least 9 of them active and they play very well with Exposé. My daughter likes to have 2 to 4.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Oct 20 Back to the Mac Event