or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th - Page 4

post #121 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

He won't be able to go to Lion either then!
post #122 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarZen View Post

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I've always thought Lion would be reserved for the last iteration of OSX.

We could be talking about OSXI three years from now.

Mobile computing products are going to become much more powerful over the next couple years and touch screens will likely sneak into the mac lineup. Apple may want to have a single OS rule all their devices (with UI's appropriate for the input method of course). Microsoft seems intent on creating touch UI's for Windows, with Windows 8 promising to be much more tablet friendly. Apple will likely go the same way (but actually do it right).

Note: I'm not saying iOS is coming to the desktop, I'm suggesting they will take the best elements from OSX and iOS and incorporate them into a new OS. "Lion" will probably introduce/test a lot of the features before having a true unified OS in the next update.
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #123 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

There will be a program like iDVD that works with Apple TV rather than DVDs.
post #124 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

My parents are still running Leopard on Intel hardware because they refuse to throw away their perfectly good LaserWriter and buy a new printer. Snow Leopard does not speak AppleTalk.

I had a LaserWriter (an original White one)... Used it for years -- at one time it was Apple's most powerful computer.

But, I gave up the ghost in 2000-- the toner cartridges (even refills) were too damn expensive.

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #125 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Resolution independence may take a little longer as it's clear third party developers are not ready. You can experiment with resolution independence using the developer tools - in the Quartz tool you can turn on screen magnification to simulate it. Turn it on to 2x and then start launching apps - see which ones have a lot of work to do. Note that not all of Apple's apps are ready either.

True, but they need to present it in some version eventually, so why not Lion? It will be a very "Jobsian" thing to pop this in the sneak preview of the OS and urge all developers to ready their apps. He did it before with other technologies. I bet Lion will not be out in less than 6 - 12 months so devs will have enough time to work it out.

Furthermore, you probably remember the talk about "marble" - the secret UI that Apple is working on, I bet this is it.

post #126 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

OS X Tarzan!

Or OS X Jane
post #127 of 292
iDVD will be dropped, iChat will be dropped, new app added to iLife will be called Facetime!

Facetime will get chat support.

Probably won't happen, but would be cool if it did..
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #128 of 292
I just bought a Macbook Pro last night... I knew this would happen. :/
post #129 of 292
USB 3.0. Drop Firewire.

And can we get better sync services rather than through iTunes?

Z file system?
post #130 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balert;

They are not getting replaced, chill.
post #131 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum

Cloud TimeMachine service

I wouldn't think so but still, the phrase Back to the Mac seems awfully like Back to the Future (1985), which had a 25th anniversary recently and got some press. Apple's 25th anniversary was last year so unlikely to have any significance but it could be where they picked the phrase up from. It's also when Steve left Apple - Sept 16, 1985.

I reckon new laptops are a go for this. The metal appearance is exactly what the laptop lids are like as the logos get cut out. This could see some results from the liquid metal deal.

Obviously the Lion points to 10.7 and with tradition, the name will be Lion too. I wouldn't expect a 10.7 release soon but you never know. The OS engineers will have been working on iOS so some of those improvements can make it back onto the Mac version.

I'm kind of hoping it's just a preview as Snow Leopard is in no urgent need of an overhaul IMO but if there are any revolutionary features, it would be nice to see what they are.

As long as they don't just drop Quicktime Pro without making sure Quicktime X is done properly.
post #132 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by stldoug View Post

Everybody seems to be missing the "swivel" in the logo. Wasn't there a rumor about Mac OS X switching between iOS and Mac OS X via tilting a monitor? Could this be a hint that it might be true?

Good catch... and the background is clearly a Mac lid.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
2011 13" 2.3 MBP, 2006 15" 2.16 MBP, iPhone 4, iPod Shuffle, AEBS, AppleTV2 with XBMC.
post #133 of 292
With the development of the iOS, iPad and iPhone I think there has been a sound redefinition of what an update is. I think in a way it's been more feature centric. What you can do with it. How you perceive it. What it feels like. I like that.
With macs its's been "more cpu, more memory, more robust OS" and basically that's been it.
post #134 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iDVD will be dropped, iChat will be dropped, new app added to iLife will be called Facetime!

Facetime will get chat support.

Probably won't happen, but would be cool if it did..

I think iDVD being dropped and replaced with another app or two is pretty certain. I’d expect iDVD to put on their servers somewhere for downloading like they did with the older version of iMovie.

I’m not sure about iChat being dropped from Mac OS X 10.7 but it does make sense to add a chat program with FaceTime capabilities to iLife 11 so they can get it out to people ASAP without needing to wait a year or more before they tie their iDevices to their Macs. I doubt they’d call it FaceTime since that is what they are calling the open protocol suite standard they said they’d be submitting.

If they are using in-house development to make HTML/CSS/JS-based iAds it’s possible they were able to package this into a proper version of iWeb. if they can, this could be a forerunner for iAds on webpages.

On Mac OS X, I wonder how a different file system would benefit the future of solid-state drives.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #135 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They are not getting replaced, chill.

I wasn't thinking that, I'm just upset that they are getting updated/ upgraded so soon after I bought one. The same thing happened when I bought my iMac G5; the Intel iMacs were released a week later. Such is my luck.
post #136 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

One big thing, I'd guess the entire OS and all apps will be compiled with LLVM/CLANG, which likely means smaller, faster code.

Well sometimes it produces smaller and faster code. Actually consider how young CLang is it produces very good code.
Quote:
Possibly they will deliver apps as LLVM "machine" code, meaning the end of fat binaries (aka universal binaries), because in many cases it's faster to translate LLVM code into target code than to link traditional binaries.

Isn't the need for fat binaries pretty much gone? Support for PPC is already gone and 32 bit x86 is dieing real fast.

That is not to dismiss some of the positives that might come from the distribution of LLVM bitcode, i just don't see apple rushing to another CPU architecture.
Quote:
Add to that the space savings, and the fact that iPhone apps also are going to be LLVM compiled, and we might be looking at truly CPU independent code.
No more need for upgrading any app just because the CPU changed.

Where this will be a big advantage is with GPU code. Apparently this is ptetty much what Apple is doing now. It does deal with the rapid change in GPU architecture better. For your x86 code though I see few advantages.

There is the interesting possibility that your apps could get faster over time as LLVM's processors improve in quality. I'd be surprised if it would be a significant gain though. I'd like to be wrong but I suspect that the mainstream app code will continue to be compiled directly to x86 machine code. They will likely be using the LLVM tools for 10.7, I just don't see a jump to bitcode.

Dave
post #137 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

On the otherhand there is this idea in the back of my head that suggests that the GUI may be ready for a major overhaul. In part that would involve the incorporation of some of Touch, resolution independence and possibly 3D. So who knows, in seven days we will all know.

Ya' think?

What you are doing is stepping back from the feature details and taking a much broader view...

Surely, a Touch UI isn't the answer-- nor is the Mouse/KB legacy UI or a Hybrid. These are just a few of several means to an end-- voice control, remote control, intelligent action recording and anticipation, virtual reality... are others

What would be the objectives?

Here's one: What ever you do on any Apple device, it will have the same consistent UI.

Oh, wow! You got my juices flowing.

post #138 of 292
Replacement would have happened within the 14 day time frame, you would be able to take it back no questions asked, get one of the new ones.
post #139 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Cool poem.

But I don't get the whole "Queen" and "daughter" thing. America can hardly be considered a feminine entity, and at the time of the tax revolt England had a King, not a Queen. Should be "King" and "son" it seems.

I think they were trying [to be circumspect!

post #140 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balert View Post

Learn to read for content and you wouldn't have this problem! Seriosly you post to this forum but yet apparently haven't a clue to Apples cycles.

I don't wish to be mean but that is one of the reasons every Apple fan site has a chart showing common product refresh times or a list of days since the last refresh. Being an informed consummer is in your best interest. RIF.

These sorts of posts just amaze me. It is not like fall refreshes are a secret, well they are but we know they are going to happen. Further you have all of these online sites looking out for you.
post #141 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If they can figure out the processor/GPU issue for the MBA, then they need to bring that to the 13" MBP as well.

I have $1199 burning a hole in my pocket for a 13" MPB with an i5 processor...

As far as OSX Lion is concerned, I'd love to see resolution independence finally make it to the big time. (To be fair, I just got around to upgrading the last mini to 10.6 last weekend! )

Remember before you buy to check Apple's refurb section in the on line store. They often have amazing deals, my MBP i7 was only two weeks old, perfect and many hundreds less.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #142 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think iDVD being dropped and replaced with another app or two is pretty certain. Id expect iDVD to put on their servers somewhere for downloading like they did with the older version of iMovie.

Im not sure about iChat being dropped from Mac OS X 10.7 but it does make sense to add a chat program with FaceTime capabilities to iLife 11 so they can get it out to people ASAP without needing to wait a year or more before they tie their iDevices to their Macs. I doubt theyd call it FaceTime since that is what they are calling the open protocol suite standard they said theyd be submitting.

If they are using in-house development to make HTML/CSS/JS-based iAds its possible they were able to package this into a proper version of iWeb. if they can, this could be a forerunner for iAds on webpages.

On Mac OS X, I wonder how a different file system would benefit the future of solid-state drives.

I'd kill for a pro iWeb.
post #143 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Learn to read for content and you wouldn't have this problem! Seriosly you post to this forum but yet apparently haven't a clue to Apples cycles.

I don't wish to be mean but that is one of the reasons every Apple fan site has a chart showing common product refresh times or a list of days since the last refresh. Being an informed consummer is in your best interest. RIF.

These sorts of posts just amaze me. It is not like fall refreshes are a secret, well they are but we know they are going to happen. Further you have all of these online sites looking out for you.

I was and am aware of Apple's refresh cycle, I'm just mad at myself for giving in instead of waiting. I guess I should have just kept my woes to myself. :/
post #144 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

USB 3.0. Drop Firewire.

Not going to happen until Intel incorporates them into their boards - Apple isn't going to drop FW anytime soon and not going to incorporate USB 3 until Intel does next year.

Quote:
And can we get better sync services rather than through iTunes?

iTunes uses SyncServices. SyncServices is it's own platform on OSX.

Quote:
Z file system?

Apple stopped developing it awhile back
post #145 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Unless you've got some seriously obscure hardware (and it seems likely this is your whole problem), only a dufus would run Leopard instead of Snow Leopard if the hardware they have can support Snow Leopard at all. It's faster and far more stable and it includes all the drivers from Leopard anyway.

I have a pretty recent Macbook so I would fall under the dufus catagory. I am running 10.5 (I think that is Leopard). I just don't want to mess with what is working to get a few millisecond speed increase.
post #146 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Just a nitpick, but can you guys please stop saying 'the Far East'? This isn't the 19th century, and these parts aren't being shipped from Cathay by the East India Tea Company, nor were they sold to Apple by strange, veiled eunuchs.

You mean there not packed on elephants in large caravans?
post #147 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

iTunes uses SyncServices. SyncServices is it's own platform on OSX.

It needs a front-facing application outside of iTunes, and iTunes needs sync stripped out of it. If iDevices are going to be an extension of your computer, iTunes is not the logical place to do this.
post #148 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr O View Post

There will be no such thing as a 11.6" or 13" MacBook Air.

Instead, all Macbook Pros will lose their slot loading drive in favour of an increased battery life and better hard drives. This will actually be a major upgrade for the Macbook Pro family!

That would be very courageous of Apple to remove the drive! I, for one, would applaud it!

I would like to still see the MBA form factor though. I like the tapered effect. But I take your point remove the drive and increase the size of the battery!

Best
post #149 of 292
I would like to see the Air with an array of colours like the ipod range, including a red one with applicable donation to a charity attached, my daughter would love a new pink model, took me for ever to stripe and sand her last one down and have it anodised.
post #150 of 292
Can anybody tell me the time period new MacBook Pro users are often allowed to get the new upgraded versions if they bought their recently? I think my sister got her MacBook a little over a week ago, and while she's not really a prosumer and wouldn't cry if they updated the 13" MBP, I think it'd be nice if she could get the newly updated version.
post #151 of 292
Please Apple ! Please Apple, PLEASE APPLE ! REMOVE THE %&*$ DRIVE FROM YOUR PORTABLE !!

I don't need, I don't want any drive on a portable ! Geez !

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Mac mini 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, NVidia's 9400M.
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz, 8 GB, NVidia's 320M.
OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

post #152 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

While iChat is a standalone application, I seem to recall it is distributed with the OSX packages. I'd be a little surprised if AAPL decided to delay making iChat work with Facetime until a release of OSX 10.7 that seems still some months away. I'm sort of on the edge (!) of upgrading my iPhone 3G to iPhone 4, and this feature might push me over. Guessing there is a Grand Strategy(tm) about this in Cuppertino.

And will OSX 10.7 come in white?

You are on "the edge" of upgrade from a 3G to a 4? Really? You're missing out on a LOT by sticking with a 3G. I can see if you had the 3GS and were holding out before your upgrade time, but a 3G.... geesh. Certainly you can spare the extra bones for a vastly superior device.
post #153 of 292
You think they chose lion because they can do the same the thing they did with leopard? Create an update or new version that follows with a similar title? Leopard - snow leopard. Lion - mountain lion (I.e.) just a thought.
post #154 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I had a LaserWriter (an original White one)... Used it for years -- at one time it was Apple's most powerful computer.

But, I gave up the ghost in 2000-- the toner cartridges (even refills) were too damn expensive.

Dick, I had one too, one which I bought from Computer Plus ages ago. I used to get cartridges at Bay Area Data Supply and they were the least expensive. But time marched on and we then got a new Ethernet-capable LW in 1993, which was only recently replaced by a Brother networked MFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum's Signature

The customer will pay more... for less... of worse...
-The Palo Alto Postulate-

...because worse is undesirable, the customer wants less of it, and will pay more for what he wants!
-The California Ave. Corollary

\t
To which I add:

...I just don't understand the postulate or its corollary...
- Scruffy Bum at Calif Av Train Station's Tangent
post #155 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNZT View Post

I would like to see the Air with an array of colours like the ipod range, including a red one with applicable donation to a charity attached, my daughter would love a new pink model, took me for ever to stripe and sand her last one down and have it anodised.

Any color you want.
-> http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-222-macbook-air.aspx
post #156 of 292
amen.
post #157 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balert View Post

I wasn\\'t thinking that, I\\'m just upset that they are getting updated/ upgraded so soon after I bought one. The same thing happened when I bought my iMac G5; the Intel iMacs were released a week later. Such is my luck.

In general, it makes little sense to buy except shortly after release.

In the case of your new MBP, where did you buy it? Can\\'t you return it, no questions asked, within 30 days?
post #158 of 292
post #159 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

In general, it makes little sense to buy except shortly after release.

It makes more sense to buy a computer when you need it, not when they are released.
If you wait for the next, better model, you will ALWAYS be waiting.
post #160 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Dude if you are going to pinch my quote from MacRumors do me the honour of at least acknowledging it.

"Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing. "

Why has macrumors the same idea, so what? They come up with something that isn't utter rubish once in a while.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th