or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th - Page 5

post #161 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactommy View Post

I use iDVD every week for the High School Band. I make end of the year video for the band and all the parents want DVD's. Why does Apple think the we don't need DVD's? I use Final Cut Express for my editing so what am I to use? Apple wont sell DVD Studio Pro outside of Final Cut. Video is not all on line yet even though I post lot's of video to youtube. People still like DVD's. Why can't Apple at lease make a DVD Studio Express for those that still need this capability.

Feedback for Final Cut Express:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutexpress.html

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #162 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by blursd View Post

Oh my gosh ... from the picture it looks like we're looking at

OS 10.7 "Aslan"

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?

post #163 of 292
and one other thing...

The "Cloud" liveth.
post #164 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #165 of 292
Can we get all the lion jokes out of our system please?

Whoops I forgot Narnia!
post #166 of 292
great post bob.
post #167 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

If you want to experience real pain, try two monitors on Windows. And if your really frisky, try three. Then try to mirror two displays on one while having a separate third. Trivial on the Mac (option drag one screen on top of another to mirror those two while leaving the third alone). Stuff I have taken for granted for *decades* on the Mac that Windows, even Windows 7, struggles to do well. I still run across video cards that won't play video embedded in PowerPoint on the second display. Freaking 2010 and some video cards/drivers choke on this under Windows. Yeah "diversity"!

BTW - here is an excellent solution for you: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33264/secondbar

Although personally I prefer this solution, pioneered by early Mac accessory maker E Machines when people complained about having to go to the top of the screen for the menu bar on the first of the large 21" high resolution monitors back in the day - convert the menubar to a contextual menu: http://mac.brothersoft.com/dejamenu.html

Works even better than the menubar in every menu that Windows does, and ironically is how the NeXT OS that OSX is based on worked. Middle mouse button FTW
post #168 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I liked iDVD. What is there to use if Apple drops this program?

The version you have right now?
post #169 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not Asian, but Aslan, the name of the lion in C.S. Lewis The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. I had to look it up.

(headslap) Doh!

Thanks!

post #170 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

My parents are still running Leopard on Intel hardware because they refuse to throw away their perfectly good LaserWriter and buy a new printer. Snow Leopard does not speak AppleTalk.

Depending on which LaserWriter they have, it may still work as some LaserWriters also support LPD. Check out the link in the second post in this Apple discussion thread: http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...readID=2350879

edit: And even if it doesn't work as an LPD printer, your parents do realize you can pick up multi-function black and white laser printers that are not only faster than their laserwriter but will also duplex, scan fax as well as directly support ethernet for under $200?

I have a Canon 4370dn and it's routinely under $200. Cartridges are cheap too - $70 at costco - less than $0.04 a page.
post #171 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I can see your point of view I don't think you will find wide agreement in the Mac community nor at Apple.

Obviously Apple doesn't see a problem, but there are at least two alternatives to the single menu bar on one display - I posted them a little earlier in the thread. DejaMenu is my personal favorite.

Dual 27" displays here I come
post #172 of 292
Quote:

I hope the next version of iLife has a nice EPUB maker. Yes, Pages will export to EPUB but I would like something that will allow for adding sections and chapters.

Why wait for Apple? Try Sigil via Andy Ihnatko.
post #173 of 292
Hopefully the new OS doesn't throw a wrench in every application I own again. After upgrading to Snow Leopard I had to repurchase 6 apps because Apple dropped support for some version of Java and my printer didn't work for 3 months.

I'll have to wait a bit longer before switching this time.

However, a Macbook Air with a smaller footprint would be a welcomed upgrade.
post #174 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The difference is, that apple always seems to have something real in its back pocket -- that it can pull out when it needs an announcement.

It's more than just pulling it out - often you can buy it before the announcement is over. At a minimum you can often fondle the shipping version after the event (if you are lucky enough to attend). Very rarely do they have non-functioning prototypes encased in rotating plastic...
post #175 of 292
Woot!

Back to the Mac, people!

To those who always complaint Apple is spending too much time and resources on iDevices, eat your short! Mwuahaha....

post #176 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarZen

And there I was wondering how they are gonna top Lion after this.

Cheshire!

post #177 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balert View Post

I wasn't thinking that, I'm just upset that they are getting updated/ upgraded so soon after I bought one. The same thing happened when I bought my iMac G5; the Intel iMacs were released a week later. Such is my luck.

Replaced, meaning: updated. Not happening. Relax.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #178 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balert View Post

I just bought a Macbook Pro last night... I knew this would happen. :/

Your within your 15 days - if an update does materialize.
post #179 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

I don't care for 3D.

I want real fixes like decent mouse-tracking software and a better window-zoom button. Heck, simply chnaging the zoom button to fullscreen would be great.
post #180 of 292
I hope so!

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
post #181 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Your within your 15 days - if an update does materialize.

What 15 days?
post #182 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What 15 days?

You have 14 days to return it for a refund. If you've opened it, you get the refund minus 15% of the cost as a restocking fee.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #183 of 292
I'm thinking that the Mac Pros and even the iBooks will go down in price.

As far as the new Air. I think it is gonna be what Microsoft had wanted their Courier to be.

Also, Apple will probably bring out a new Bluetooth Remote with a few controls to make the AppleTV more user friendly to most of the complainers. They probably had that ready on the release of the ATV, but they waited for the GoogleTV's remote to come out at $299.00 for people
to not be to upset when they offer one under $150.00 with all the beauty of the small remote.

Also, FaceTime will be included in the new iLife. Time to start showing Skype how to do it right.
post #184 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by juandl View Post

I'm thinking that the Mac Pros and even the iBooks will go down in price.

No new Mac Pro chips, so there's absolutely no reason for them to reduce the price. They stopped selling the iBook four years ago.

post #185 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't care for 3D.

I want real fixes like decent mouse-tracking software and a better window-zoom button. Heck, simply chnaging the zoom button to fullscreen would be great.

resolution independence is a must.

I hope they don't tweak the interface that much, I love aqua, and I hate the more subdued ones on itunes. I hope they've got a lot of feedback about itunes interface debacle where all is whited out in grey, and I hope they don't use it.

I thinks this is a crucial os for apple in that now they have to continue their superiority in a much broader user base and still retain the mac character of their os. It's tricky, it really is.
post #186 of 292
Busted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

Dude if you are going to pinch my quote from MacRumors do me the honour of at least acknowledging it.

"Anybody else feel just a tiny bit sorry for Microsoft - they just had the WP7 launch, media interested and the blogs full of Microsoft for a while and then along comes Apple with this announcement and now for the next week all the blogs will be counting down to the Apple event.

Genius marketing. "
post #187 of 292
LMAO... CNET writers think 10.7 will come on any new machines and ship in Nov.

Maybe the should practice asking questions like "do you want fries with that".
post #188 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You mean there not packed on elephants in large caravans?

The rumors out of the Orient suggest that's not the case anymore.
post #189 of 292
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

(headslap) Doh!

Thanks!

He he - I got that one right off the bat. Clearly you guys don't have 8 year old girls running the show.
post #190 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

MAC OS X is a pain for concurrent, multiple monitors. I move my app to the secondary screen but the command menu is stuck on top of the first screen. Is there a fix for this?

I have my Macbook Pro connected to two monitors.

I have relocated the menu bar on my main monitor (28") via System Preferences' Diplay panel.

I installed SecondBar. http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79 and it puts a menu bar on my MacBook.

Unfortunately there isn't a ThirdBar yet.

And so I also installed DejaMenu; which works on all three monitors but I use it primarily on the second screen http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html
post #191 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I have my Macbook Pro connected to two monitors.

I have relocated the menu bar on my main monitor (28")

I installed SecondBar. http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79 and it puts

Unfortunately their isn't a ThirdBar yet.

And so I also installed DejaMenu which works on all three monitors but I use it primarily on the second screen http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html

Uh, wrong thread?

post #192 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Dick, I had one too, one which I bought from Computer Plus ages ago. I used to get cartridges at Bay Area Data Supply and they were the least expensive. But time marched on and we then got a new Ethernet-capable LW in 1993, which was only recently replaced by a Brother networked MFC.

\t
To which I add:

...I just don't understand the postulate or its corollary...
- Scruffy Bum at Calif Av Train Station's Tangent

Geeze! Along with Mark Wozniak, and Jim McCann, my wife Lucy -- I owned Computer Plus!

PM me or whatever, your real name -- I was known as Mr. Lucy.

As to the postulate/corollary, it was an IBM inside joke -- working for IBM in Palo Alto, at the time...

Long story short... Standing in the IBM cafeteria one 7 AM, waiting to get a cup of fresh coffee for 25 cents.

A frazzeled guy walks in, stands in the line at the coffee machine to buy a half a cup of crap coffee for $1.

Why?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #193 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, wrong thread?

Yes, can we get back to Ballmer?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #194 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, wrong thread?

Got tide up and missed a few things as corrected above.
post #195 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I had a LaserWriter (an original White one)... Used it for years -- at one time it was Apple's most powerful computer.

But, I gave up the ghost in 2000-- the toner cartridges (even refills) were too damn expensive.

Bought mine the first day it was available. Cost me nearly 8 grand in Canada. But, along with Pagemaker, it more than paid for itself.

Heavier than hell. Gave it up in 2000 as well.
post #196 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Bought mine the first day it was available. Cost me nearly 8 grand in Canada. But, along with Pagemaker, it more than paid for itself.

Heavier than hell. Gave it up in 2000 as well.

Ha! Owen Tarranto, Comtroller of Adobe, walked into our Sunnyvale store with one of these 100-lb babies under his arm. The LaserWriter wasn't, yet, available.

He was followed a few minutes later by Bob Brown.

Bob sat in a booth with a Mac, directly connected to the LaserWriter through a serial port.

He keyed in native PostScript code -- and truely magical things happened -- beautiful art, shading and typography,

Bob did this for about a week... There were SRO crowds...

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #197 of 292
post #198 of 292
So as a recent hobby developer for the Mac platform I'm also hoping for a final release of Xcode 4.0. Please...please...please!

That would make my day - err year.
post #199 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

Have you considered that he may have a Power PC based Mac and therefore not been able to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Not if he is planning on getting 10.7.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete...

post #200 of 292
And this post makes 200

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th