or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th

Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th - Page 7

post #241 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

Well i was hoping it was going to be Sabertooth. But i guess that will have to wait until 10.8.

Maybe not a good idea to codename a product after an extinct animal.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #242 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Cheshire!

We suthrunahs' call that a "Chessy-Cat"

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #243 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Not going to happen until Intel incorporates them into their boards - Apple isn't going to drop FW anytime soon and not going to incorporate USB 3 until Intel does next year.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Intel only makes the chips, not the boards. So USB 3.0 is not dependent on Intel, but on Apple's design/engineering choice.
post #244 of 292
Quote:
OS 10.7 "Aslan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Maybe I'm not recognizing an obvious hint, but I don't get how you connect the lion with Asia. Lions are the only big cat native to Africa. All the other big cats are from Asia or the Americas, AFAIK. What am I missing here?

That's ASLAN, with an "L"from Narnia.
post #245 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Geeze! Along with Mark Wozniak, and Jim McCann, my wife Lucy -- I owned Computer Plus!

Yes, I knew that. I'm that old guy with a white (then light brown) beard better known as Tod Wicks. There was also Larry Byrum and Jim Rusten and Anne Jolly out front. And the "u" in the overhead sign was backwards. My alias hereabouts refers to my website ecphorizer.com.

Quote:
As to the postulate/corollary, it was an IBM inside joke -- working for IBM in Palo Alto, at the time...

Long story short... Standing in the IBM cafeteria one 7 AM, waiting to get a cup of fresh coffee for 25 cents.

A frazzeled guy walks in, stands in the line at the coffee machine to buy a half a cup of crap coffee for $1.

Why?

But...but...wasn't IBM on Page Mill? I used to wander around in there with a set of telephone repairman's tools hanging from a belt. Oh wait, wasn't there a good coffee/donut shop on Calif Av just a few steps east of ECR? It must have been good as it always had a bunch of Pacific Tel trucks and no cop cars.
post #246 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Yes, I knew that. I'm that old guy with a white (then light brown) beard better known as Tod Wicks. There was also Larry Byrum and Jim Rusten and Anne Jolly out front. And the "u" in the overhead sign was backwards. My alias hereabouts refers to my website ecphorizer.com.

I think I remember you... your name is very familiar... I'm thinking, over 6' tall and slender... light, maybe blue eyes...?

Yeah.. Larry and Jim were quite a pair... Anne was neat!

We prided ourselves in having the best employees around -- many went on to work for Apple (that was an honor for them and us);

The backwards u was on purpose-- for "micro" computer.

Very few people noticed that.

Quote:
But...but...wasn't IBM on Page Mill? I used to wander around in there with a set of telephone repairman's tools hanging from a belt. Oh wait, wasn't there a good coffee/donut shop on Calif Av just a few steps east of ECR? It must have been good as it always had a bunch of Pacific Tel trucks and no cop cars.

Yeah, AIR, the coffee/donut shop was across from the Wells Fargo.

IBM was all over Stanford Industrial Park (as, I think, it was called).

The first building was at 1501 California and had the Cafeteria. When I first transferred there, in 1973, we occupied a building at 1520 Page Mill (I think) across from HP. Then we moved to Palo Alto Square at Page Mill & El Camino... Then back to 1510 Page Mill...

It really didn't matter much as people in my group, The IBM Palo Alto Systems Center, traveled extensively.

Ha! Remember Banana Records on El Camino?

Did you ever eat at Risotti's (The Alpine Inn) out on Alpine road in Portola Valley?

post #247 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I think you are being way too optimistic. March at the earliest, and I would be shocked if it happened then.

My guess would be somewhere between June and November of next year.

I agree. I'd expect a WWDC before 10.7 is released to the public. I expect/hope Apple introduces new features and talks about how they're making 10.7 available to developers. Then next back-to-school cycle release it.

- Jasen.
post #248 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

resolution independence is a must.

I hope they don't tweak the interface that much, I love aqua, and I hate the more subdued ones on itunes. I hope they've got a lot of feedback about itunes interface debacle where all is whited out in grey, and I hope they don't use it.

You think Apple listens to feedback?

Expect the final build of iPad iOS 4.2 to change rotation to mute, just no everyone "hates". And similarly expect gray views everywhere with vertical traffic lights. Apple is not perfect, they are just about to re-prove that.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #249 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I take it you're excited about all this 3D hullabaloo?

Oh, dear heavens, no. I'm saying the only viable 3D interface will be something holographic with which I can interact in a block of 3D space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

12) You seem to be assuming that to have a notebook that do 3G that youd have to pay $60/month for 5GB. You also seem to assume that all people are near WiFI or Ethernet that cellular data on a notebook wouldnt be useful to some people. Those are erroneous conclusions.

Yeah, silly of me to quote current mobile data prices.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #250 of 292
Quote:

I think I remember you... your name is very familiar... I'm thinking, over 6' tall and slender... light, maybe blue eyes...?

5-10, 200#, barrel-chested, go here for a fairly recent pic: http://www.ecphorizer.com/EPS/site_inside.php?page=8

Quote:
Yeah.. Larry and Jim were quite a pair... Anne was neat!

We prided ourselves in having the best employees around -- many went on to work for Apple (that was an honor for them and us);

The backwards u was on purpose-- for "micro" computer.

Very few people noticed that.

Huh! I certainly didn't make the connection though those were the days of the micro computer, as they were called then. God, remember the myriad names of the S-100 gadgets: Ohio Scientific, Exidy (which I always confused with Exide batteries), CromemCo, MITS, CompuColor, Imsai, Vector, the list seemed endless.

Quote:
Ha! Remember Banana Records on El Camino?

Did you ever eat at Risotti's (The Alpine Inn) out on Alpine road in Portola Valley?

Banana Records, now home of "We-Fix-Macs." Rosati's - "Stanford School of Electrical Engineering Annex." Lots of old hardware designs used their cocktail napkins. Been there a few times.

All familiar places - heck I lived on Waverley in the "low" rent district for over 30 years.

It's been nice, Dick. Take care...
post #251 of 292
Quote:

Geeze! Along with Mark Wozniak, and Jim McCann, my wife Lucy -- I owned Computer Plus!

And I recall that you kept trying to sell me some arcane database program called TDM but I settled for Barney Stone's DB Master.
post #252 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

And I recall that you kept trying to sell me some arcane database program called TDM but I settled for Barney Stone's DB Master.

Reply to this and your prior:

Yeah, I recognize you... especially your smile and ruddy complexion... you seemed much taller ... (Actually I associated someone else with the name).

TDM-- Steve Schwartz's "The Data Manager" written in UCSD Pascal on Apple ][ serial #009 (AIR) -- there were no air vent slots in the case.

Steve had black mustache and beard and black bushy hair -- almost a big afro!

Steve, would often program in our store. He used crutches -- had a prosthetic leg that was uncomfortable, so he'd unstrap it.

He'd get really involved in programming, then something would upset him. He'd jump up bellowing something, standing on one leg, swinging his crutch in the air like some angry Rasputin with a giant fly swatter.

I convinced Steve to write TDM -- loaned him some RAM, a Pascal Card, and 2 floppy disk drives. In return, if I asked nicely, Steve would add features that I or our customers wanted.

We didn't get any special deal-- but I felt it was a good (and flexible db) and it supported the concept of using microcomputers for business. Often, a TDM customer could get a special feature implemented that he could get in no other db.

When we founded Computer Plus, we identified three types of users (target markets):

-- hobbyists - lots of good ideas, talent, but DYI, and no money to spend
-- home personal - growing market similar to DVRs, etc. - interested in tech solutions - has $ to spend
-- business - nothing really until VisiCalc and UCSD Pascal - lotsa' potential for big $

We tried to support the hobbyists and other microcomputer pioneers and, in turn, benefitted from their efforts -- a $79 VisiCalc or $150 TDM db could sell many thousands of dollars of equipment.

AIR, you were kind of a hybrid user-- mostly home-personal, some business and a little techy/hobbyist.

FWIW, that's how I'd classify myself!

Ahh... great times!

post #253 of 292
Quote:

Nah, I think they'll keep iChat but just incorporate FaceTime into it. iDVD is dropped for shure.

I don't think that was a plug for Shure mics, was it?

Anyway, you're probably right, but I personally think it would be better if they killed iChat and "replaced" it with a Mac app called FaceTime (and added text chat). Made the iPhone FaceTime app its own app (just like it is on the iPod touch) and left the FaceTime functionality within the Phone app, also. And released FaceTime for iPad 2 and Windows. And then opened the protocol, allowing others to write FaceTime apps for Android, Linux and Windows Phone etc. But… my cunning planned is never to be.
post #254 of 292
Hi fellow Mac users,

I do not have a multi-screen setup, but heard of the following to Apps to relief of the Menu Bar Pain:

DejaMenu - Gives the menu's commands in a context menu anywhere your mouse is

SecondBar - http://blog.boastr.net/?page_id=79 Give you a second bar. Early beta, but heard it already worked OK. From the same developer as BTT (BetterTouchTool for Magic Mouse gesture enhancements etc.)

Hope it helped you,

SuAlfons
post #255 of 292
Quote:

AIR, you were kind of a hybrid user-- mostly home-personal, some business and a little techy/hobbyist.

FWIW, that's how I'd classify myself!

You got it! In those days an A2 was a pretty steep investment so I did some research and talked to a very Libertarian tax accountant, and began a business. The business consisted of a once a month party for a social group I was active in, during which I showed off the A2. "Charged" people a buck to join, served up some home-made spaghetti, and managed to write off the A2 as a business expense. Then I got a neat program from Bob Clardy at Synergistic Software that printed mailing labels, added an ancient KSR printer, and began printing a couple of thousand mail labels each month for the group's newsletter. That program was so advanced for its time - could span multiple floppies, print either labels sorted by zip code or an alpha "roster"-style list.

I'm baring my soul now: I originally got the A2 because I wanted a way to catalog hundreds of classical music LPs. The irony is that I never got around to that and time really slipped by and *boom!* there was iTunes doing what I wanted.

Hey, I'm sure you recall a box of 10 Verbatim floppies retailing for $35! No wonder you opened a store - you were probably your own best customer!
post #256 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, silly of me to quote current mobile data prices.

How is that none of your posts ever make sense or address what was written? (Thats rhetorical since your reply is unlikely to make sense)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #257 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

You are absolutely right, I use three monitors and it's a pain in the neck!

Check out SecondBar.
post #258 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston;

That is a very interesting idea. A touch screen interface with OS X, that can be swiveled around so you can still use the keyboard/trackpad. Very interesting idea. I don't think they'll do it, but it is definitely interesting.

Swivelling things and joints make Jonny Ives cry.
post #259 of 292
Quote:

Swivelling things and joints make Jonny Ives cry.

All joking aside, Im sure movable parts arent what he wants to deal with.

In regards to this mythical 11.6 MBA it could be a the single hinge design that folds 180°. The problem is you then have the keyboard on the bottom of the device when used as a tablet. This could be resolved if it comes with a nice case.

They could put all the major components behind the monitor. its not like the MBA components are very big or heavy so they could all fit in the displays section. The other half could basically be the keyboard and trackpad and that could be very, very thin in comparison.

Neither of these seem likely to me, but whatever they do there will tradeoffs.
post #260 of 292
of all the things that will / may get announced on October 20, i'm most keen on Mac OS X 10.7; should be an interesting event for sure.
post #261 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't think that was a plug for Shure mics, was it?

Anyway, you're probably right, but I personally think it would be better if they killed iChat and "replaced" it with a Mac app called FaceTime (and added text chat). Made the iPhone FaceTime app its own app (just like it is on the iPod touch) and left the FaceTime functionality within the Phone app, also. And released FaceTime for iPad 2 and Windows. And then opened the protocol, allowing others to write FaceTime apps for Android, Linux and Windows Phone etc. But… my cunning planned is never to be.

It sure ain't. Though I haven't really tried the Shure earphone demos...

Anyways, it is possible, though unlikely, that they might rebrand iChat on the Mac as FaceTime.
post #262 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

of all the things that will / may get announced on October 20, i'm most keen on Mac OS X 10.7; should be an interesting event for sure.

5 days 9 hours to go.
post #263 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

I could be wrong, but I believe that Intel only makes the chips, not the boards. So USB 3.0 is not dependent on Intel, but on Apple's design/engineering choice.

They could use a USB3.0 controller, but its preferable to have it in the chipset.
post #264 of 292
Quote:

It sure ain't. Though I haven't really tried the Shure earphone demos...

Anyways, it is possible, though unlikely, that they might rebrand iChat on the Mac as FaceTime.

The video calling at least.
post #265 of 292
It would make me very happy to see the optical drive removed from the MBPs and replaced with additional battery capacity. If I could have 10-12 REAL hours on a charge I would hardly ever have to bring the cord or worry about sitting someplace where I can plug it in. That would make a real difference in how I use my MacBook. Honestly, a few MhZ here and a few MB there won't matter to me nearly as much a couple more hours of time to actually use the computer without being tied to an outlet.

I think optical drives make sense on the desktop units, but neither me nor anyone I see in the real world actually uses them on a regular basis. When I ask "non-geek" people if they want the drive they say "yes," but when I follow-up by asking when they used it last they almost always scratch their head!
post #266 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

It would make me very happy to see the optical drive removed from the MBPs and replaced with additional battery capacity. If I could have 10-12 REAL hours on a charge I would hardly ever have to bring the cord or worry about sitting someplace where I can plug it in. That would make a real difference in how I use my MacBook. Honestly, a few MhZ here and a few MB there won't matter to me nearly as much a couple more hours of time to actually use the computer without being tied to an outlet.

I think optical drives make sense on the desktop units, but neither me nor anyone I see in the real world actually uses them on a regular basis. When I ask "non-geek" people if they want the drive they say "yes," but when I follow-up by asking when they used it last they almost always scratch their head!

on the 13 MBPs the ODD accounts for 25% of the footprint. If they removed it you get back 5 of space for more ports. You can finally thin out the chassis more. You can add a larger battery, they can add more components, like GPS and 3G card. And they can add a Core-i chip with dGPU, which in itself would offer better battery life, especially if you only needed the IGP for your tasks.
post #267 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

Yes, it's going to be remarkable. Apple will announce a revolutionary new feature in OS X 10.7 come October 20th.

The new, revolutionary feature will actually allow you to empty the Trash without the Finder telling you that some file is in use, when clearly it's not and hasn't been for quite some time. No longer will you be forced to quit an application just to empty the Trash. I know: incredible. Can you feel the goosebumps?

Steve will probably do a "one more thing"-thing at the end of the presentation to announce this stunning, new and powerful functionality. It's going to be awesome!
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
post #268 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Please NOT!
as we have seen in recent USB 3.0 specs it is all hype and very little substance.

Does this qualify as substance:

New External Storage for Mac Pro

?

Quote:
Nor is there much of a meaningful USB 3.0 market yet and likely never will be.

I didn't originally think so but have changed my mind. Like ir or not, it's gaining momentum.
post #269 of 292
Well, here's hoping for a unified window design that finally gets rid of the aqua scroll bars and ridiculous and inefficient Mail icons.

More on that from earlier today:
http://yousayyeah.com/post/1320329416/apples-new-skin
post #270 of 292
Quote:

It sureAnyways, it is possible, though unlikely, that they might rebrand iChat on the Mac as FaceTime.

Yeah that's what I meant.
post #271 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How is that none of your posts ever make sense or address what was written? (Thats rhetorical since your reply is unlikely to make sense)

http://www.ipadnewsdaily.com/new-ver...ith-ipad-0966/

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ory=cat1460003

Or do you just not even read my posts at all?

post #272 of 292
So... OS X 10.7 preview, new Macbook Air, probably Office 2011 and Autocad will get some time on stage. Anything else? Xcode 4 - or is that too WWDC?
post #273 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So... OS X 10.7 preview, new Macbook Air, probably Office 2011 and Autocad will get some time on stage. Anything else? Xcode 4 - or is that too WWDC?

Xcode 4 is near final. It will be released before years end.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #274 of 292
Quote:

Why the heck would Office 2011 get any time at an Apple event?!

Much less one during which they'll be announcing iWork '11.

post #275 of 292
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why the heck would Office 2011 get any time at an Apple event?!

Much less one during which they'll be announcing iWork '11.

I have to agree with Tallest Skil, ascii, I see no reason why Apple would promote Office for Mac 2011 when they have there own suite to pimp at the event.

Alternatively, if they dont have iWork 11 ready for the event the last theyd want to do is have it pushed even further behind in mindshare by assisting Office for Mac 2011. Sure, everyone has their price, but I dont think MS is willing to pay Apple what it would take to get it promoted next Wednesday but its not like they need to, either.
post #276 of 292
Solipsism and Tallest Skil, I have to disagree. I think Office is too big of a product for Apple not to co-promote such a major upgrade. We shall see soon enough I guess

This event is going to rock. Finally some news about OS X (as much as I love my iPad, I still use OS X more than iOS)
post #277 of 292
Quote:

Solipsism and Tallest Skil, I have to disagree. I think Office is too big of a product for Apple not to co-promote such a major upgrade. We shall see soon enough I guess

Aside from in '98 when Gates talked about it on stage, has Apple ever mentioned Office in any of its keynotes in the last two decades?

post #278 of 292
That is wat i think is gonna come:
OS X 10.7 Lion
MacBook Air getting thinner
Mac Pro some specs like the processors.
iLife11
a lot of hardware getting cheaper (hopefully)
post #279 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan0011 View Post

Mac Pro some specs like the processors.

No new processors exist. No updates will happen.

Quote:
a lot of hardware getting cheaper (hopefully)

Keep dreaming.

post #280 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan0011 View Post

That is wat i think is gonna come:
OS X 10.7 Lion
MacBook Air getting thinner

Wow, you're a visionary.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple to hold special 'Back to the Mac' event on October 20th