or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Whatcha Reading? Thread

Whatcha Reading? Thread - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Mac+, I am a professor and an artist.... I teach art production and criticism/critical theory courses.

Hey Amorph are you a student or a professor at the University of Iowa?
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

"Narrative is what starts to happen after eight minutes
--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #42 of 49
Just finished Robert Heinlein's The Puppet Masters. Not sure what's next.
post #43 of 49
Reading Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

Interesting read. There is a part that the young men escaping from Nazi is creating a comic book with his cousin when comic book is just starting to get popular.
post #44 of 49
I am currently reading "The Grapes of Wrath".
Grandma yelled, "Praise Gawd!".

From "The Grapes of Wrath"
Grandma yelled, "Praise Gawd!".

From "The Grapes of Wrath"
post #45 of 49
[quote]Originally posted by pfflam:
<strong>Mac+, I am a professor and an artist.... I teach art production and criticism/critical theory courses.

Hey Amorph are you a student or a professor at the University of Iowa?</strong><hr></blockquote>What is criticism/critical theory?
post #46 of 49
[quote]Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<strong>
I read A Confederacy of Dunces a few weeks ago and it was pretty good ... nice, light reading, and very funny in parts. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's being made into a movie. Who's the guy who did Traffic? I think he's the one who's doing it.

Not yet finished with We the Living but getting there. Next up: Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.
shooby doo, shooby doo
shooby doo, shooby doo
post #47 of 49
Just finished Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. Trying to read Applescript in a Nutshell, but it just doesn't have the same pace as an Adams book.

I'll keep reading this on the bus to work, unless I can find a good English novel in a book store in town (Regensburg). Otherwise, it's back to Der Kleiner Prinz, which I've been trying to get through for the last 3 years.
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
Die Grüne Hölle - Gute Fahrt
post #48 of 49
[quote] What is criticism/critical theory? <hr></blockquote>
Criticism would be art criticism, however, it veers off into the realms of 'critical theory' when-
1. It is critical of its own methodology.
2. When the object of criticism (including its own methodology) is seen as symptomatic of larger cultural, historical, and/or metaphysical and philosophical issues.

For instance, I taught a class on Fascism and Death in Film and Video. (That's why I'm always a stickler about the use of the term 'Fascist' hereabouts) We looked at films and looked at how they treated the phenomena of Death (Woody Allen's, Stardust Memories, Night of The Iguana, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life others) and discussed what they said . . . we read texts on death, including Becker's Denial Of Death. Then we looked at ideas of Death in art, notions of kitsch as it relates to death and how these attitudes can be read in, and as, larger cultural attitudes towards death This led to reading Friedlander's book Reflections on Nazism: An Essay on Kitsch and Death and we started to look at the phenomena of Fascism and its relation to attitudes about death, this also entailed seeing Fascism as an aesthetic phenomena. (we looked at the films Mephisto, Architecture of Doom, and the Wonderful Horrible Life of Leni Reifenstaahl(sp?)and others) we then read Walter Benjamin and Andrew Hewitt . . . both of whom look at Fascism as a larger cultural phenomena that is a responce to the rise of mechanical reproduction and other historical factors . . . we then looked at contemporary artists who are thinking about the insights that we dealt with, Andy Warhol, Kristen Lucas (on death) and others , , ,(it was a great class and despite what it looks like on the surface it all fit quite nicely)

I hope that helps clarify...'critical theory'

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

--George W Bush

--Franklin Miller.

"Nothing...

post #49 of 49
"Sum of All Fears" by Tom Clancy.
Is that a weasel on your face?
Is that a weasel on your face?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Whatcha Reading? Thread