or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple component allocations point to new form factor sub-notebook
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple component allocations point to new form factor sub-notebook

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
Activity within Apple's supply chain throughout the better part of 2010 has shown signs that the Mac maker is gearing up to introduce a new notebook that doesn't fit into any of its existing hardware designs, according to one Wall Street analyst.

In a note to clients on Thursday, Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu said a new MacBook Air from Apple appears increasingly likely to make an appearance during next Wednesday's special "Back to the Mac" event, which is set to take place at 10:00 am local time on the company's Cupertino campus.

"Our checks with supply chain sources over the last 6-9 months have indicated evidence of a new subnotebook form factor," he wrote. "We had thought it would be released earlier this year but believe it may finally see the light of day as the new MacBook Air."

Meanwhile, other "industry sources" have reportedly informed the analyst that Apple is making much progress in the area of "true" multi-touch Macs. Such products are believed to be more feasible today than ever, given the success of the 9.7-inch iPad which is believed to be helping to bring down the cost of touchscreens and substrates, which have previously been prohibitively expensive.

"The next logical step is to extend the technology to a touchscreen similar to that offered on its iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and iPod nano," Wu wrote. "We are not sure if this technology is ready for primetime but perhaps we could get a sneak peek."



The analyst also claims that the next version of Apple's iLife application suite, which his "sources have indicated has undergone extensive testing," could be unveiled along with a preview of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and possible speed bumps to the MacBook and MacBook Pro line.

Generally speaking, Wu's expectations closely conform to those published by AppleInsider in recent weeks. The Kaufman Bros. analyst maintained his Buy rating and $374 price target on share of Apple.
post #2 of 52
Oh, Shaw... you're so dreamy. You're the Danny Kaye of analysts.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Activity within Apple's supply chain throughout the better part of 2010 has shown signs that the Mac maker is gearing up to introduce a new notebook that doesn't fit into any of its existing hardware designs, according to one Wall Street analyst.

In a note to clients on Thursday, Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu said a new MacBook Air from Apple appears increasingly likely to make an appearance during next Wednesday's special "Back to the Mac" event, which is set to take place at 10:00 am local time on the company's Cupertino campus.

"Our checks with supply chain sources over the last 6-9 months have indicated evidence of a new subnotebook form factor," he wrote. "We had thought it would be released earlier this year but believe it may finally see the light of day as the new MacBook Air."

Meanwhile, other "industry sources" have reportedly informed the analyst that Apple is making much progress in the area of "true" multi-touch Macs. Such products are believed to be more feasible today than ever, given the success of the 9.7-inch iPad which is believed to be helping to bring down the cost of touchscreens and substrates, which have previously been prohibitively expensive.

"The next logical step is to extend the technology to a touchscreen similar to that offered on its iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and iPod nano," Wu wrote. "We are not sure if this technology is ready for primetime but perhaps we could get a sneak peek."



The analyst also claims that the next version of Apple's iLife application suite, which his "sources have indicated has undergone extensive testing," could be unveiled along with a preview of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and possible speed bumps to the MacBook and MacBook Pro line.

Generally speaking, Wu's expectations closely conform to those published by AppleInsider in recent weeks. The Kaufman Bros. analyst maintained his Buy rating and $374 price target on share of Apple.

How does Kaufman Bros. really know what is coming out next? This is just speculation on their part that is all.Someone told me that the 13inch MPB is gone pretty soon with the core 2 duo. Who really knows? Let us see on Wednesday the outcome.
post #4 of 52
it's just the "newlydesignedamazinglymagicpaperthin" MacBookAir. Bring it on if so!
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
sent from my... internet browser of choice.
Reply
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

How does Kaufman Bros. really know what is coming out next? This is just speculation on their part that is all.Someone told me that the 13inch MPB is gone pretty soon with the core 2 duo. Who really knows? Let us see on Wednesday the outcome.

I hope so, but that would also mean a discrete GPU which also means finding room in the 13 machine for that GPU, and the only room I know of (outside of even more miniaturization is where the ODD is.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #6 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2992 View Post

it's just the "newlydesignedamazinglymagicpaperthin" MacBookAir. Bring it on if so!

I'm with you, I just know it's gonna be: magical and revolutionary!!!
post #7 of 52
I'd be more interested in a 17" macbook air than a 11" one
post #8 of 52
Could it be made of a new material (LM) maybe instead of the aluminum block ... ? Perhaps with optional touch or mouse interface ... It's going to happen one day!
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


Meanwhile, other "industry sources" have reportedly informed the analyst that Apple is making much progress in the area of "true" multi-touch Macs. Such products are believed to be more feasible today than ever, given the success of the 9.7-inch iPad which is believed to be helping to bring down the cost of touchscreens and substrates, which have previously been prohibitively expensive.

"The next logical step is to extend the technology to a touchscreen similar to that offered on its iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and iPod nano," Wu wrote. "We are not sure if this technology is ready for primetime but perhaps we could get a sneak peek."


Weasel words from the analysts. Sure, the hardware might be ready but it's software that makes "multi-touch" do its magic. Until we see iOS's Cocoa Touch integrated with Mac OS X (or at least some of the main concepts), then I don't see much mac multi touch hardware showing up.
post #10 of 52
This may well be the final nail in the netbook coffin! First Apple successfully attacked it from below with the iPad, and if they keep the price low enough (Apple can), this new machine could effectively kill the netbook world from above!

Bye bye Acer!
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I'd be more interested in a 17" macbook air than a 11" one

Hear, hear!

Not getting my hopes up, though.
post #12 of 52
This rumor comes from Shaw Wu.

It should be on Page 2, not on the front page. The guy's track record is a complete joke.
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope so, but that would also mean a discrete GPU which also means finding room in the 13” machine for that GPU, and the only room I know of (outside of even more miniaturization is where the ODD is.

Hmm, they have the external optical drive for the Air; how about an external, cable-attached GPU?
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'em X View Post

Hmm, they have the external optical drive for the Air; how about an external, cable-attached GPU?

That really would be a discrete GPU, though far from discreet.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

This may well be the final nail in the netbook coffin! First Apple successfully attacked it from below with the iPad, and if they keep the price low enough (Apple can), this new machine could effectively kill the netbook world from above!

Bye bye Acer!

Only if they make it sub $250 and from shitty materials, which they wont.
post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This rumor comes from Shaw Wu.

It should be on Page 2, not on the front page. The guy's track record is a complete joke.

We should track his predictions and see what percentage of the time he is correct.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #17 of 52
To paraphrase a line from my college days, "Those who know, do. Those who do not become an industry analyst." If this guy really knew he was right, he'd be staying mum and quietly investing in touchscreen companies. Instead, he's just blowing hot air.

Touch screens make sense in certain contexts. I'm glad my library uses them for checkout, and I'd hate for my iPhone to have a trouble-prone fold-out keyboard that's too tiny to be of any use. But in more work-intensive contexts, it's hard to beat a keyboard, and I'd hate to spend hours every day reaching out my arms out to a large, desktop screen.

I believe it was G. K. Chesterton who made fun of the 'prophets' whose skills consisted in merely projecting current trends still further. The move from isolated villages to nations, they thought, meant the future lay in transnational unions (the troubled EU) and finally a World State.

Chesterton's more commonsense views of the future have proved far more accurate than those of his friend H. G. Wells. Wells believe the Great War was the "war to end all wars" because it would usher in a World State that would enforce the peace. Chesterton believed that Germany remained trapped in the same mindset that led to the Great War and that within a generation there'd be another war still more horrible. He put his hope not in a League of Nations that was to stop any war anyplace (the ineffective League of Nations) but in a NATO-like alliance that would deliberately target a particular foe as the chief risk of another war: Germany in the 1930s, the Soviet Union from 1945 to 1990 and today's war on terror, particularly if the bad guys get nukes.

Of course, like the news stories about this analyst, Wells got all the attention. The more outlandish the claim, the more likely it is to get attention. Chesterton was merely right after the fact.

Touch screens everywhere are not quite an evil like a global war, but a silly fad for them could prove a nuisance for a few years.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Chesterton on War and Peace
post #18 of 52
I saw somewhere a leak about a thin 13 inch OS-X tablet mac that would work with the new multi-touch lion OS-X. The new device may be that. This device will fully support Flash. I got the feeling its not going to be cheap.

imo I hope they annonced an AppleTV app store, but I know chances are super slim.
post #19 of 52
An interesting theory/prediction:

We've heard a lot in recent months about iLife possibly dropping iDVD from the suite. I think its entirely likely that this will happen, and iDVD will receive a minor update and be posted as a free download on Apple.com (think iMovie HD/QuickTime 7).
Combine this possibility, with the likely refresh of the MacBook Air, Apple's DVD-less notebook. Coincidence? Maybe. But if you speculate a little further, I wonder if the time as come for new form factor notebooks (all of them except the 17") that are all without optical media drives, and Apple introduces a new notebook SuperDrive accessory that works across all notebooks, for those who want it.

Whether you agree with the principle or not, its very possible that Apple will bill these new form factor notebooks as being lighter and faster and thinner due to the lack of unnecessary optical drives. We could see insanely fast MacBooks, with discrete GPUs (aka: what we really need), in place of optical drives.

It seems very, very logical that optical drives get moved to the accessory department as Apple pushes ahead for lighter faster notebooks with bigger batteries.

So yes I'm thinking the big change to the notebook line is not just performance bumps, but performance bumps achieved by new designs, minus the optical drives.

Sorry guys, no blu ray for ya. (unless by magic the new optical accessory is a blu ray drive lol)
post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope so, but that would also mean a discrete GPU which also means finding room in the 13 machine for that GPU, and the only room I know of (outside of even more miniaturization is where the ODD is.

Read my above post. I think it's coming.
post #21 of 52
regardless of size, i'm keen to see what a refresh of the MacBook Air brings to the market. i've never owned a MacBook so maybe that will change soon.
post #22 of 52
But I thought netbooks were evil, no?

Appleland: "netbook" = "subnotebook"

The rest of the world: "netbook" = "netbook"

Steve is so high on his recovery drugs these days....
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This rumor comes from Shaw Wu.

It should be on Page 2, not on the front page. The guy's track record is a complete joke.

Shaw Wu's track record makes meteorologists feel embarrassed for him
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

If this guy really knew he was right, he'd be staying mum and quietly investing in touchscreen companies. Instead, he's just blowing hot air.

No, that would likely cost him his job, his securities licenses, fines, and possibly jail time.
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Oh, Shaw... you're so dreamy. You're the Danny Kaye of analysts.

This analogy makes me queasy for some reason.
Please don't be insane.
Reply
Please don't be insane.
Reply
post #26 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

But I thought netbooks were evil, no?

Appleland: "netbook" = "subnotebook"

The rest of the world: "netbook" = "netbook"

Steve is so high on his recovery drugs these days....

It's not that hard to comprehend, if Apple can make one worthwhile, they will.

A netbook fits a certain category of compromises for size.

Apple's MacBook Air is its own category of compromises, but far less than a typical netbook.

If Apple can make an 11.6" MacBook Air with standard notebook processor/graphics keyboard and battery, while also making it the lightest and thinnest thing in its category, and also making it affordable (which the current MBA is not), then yea they might have something here.

I think the way its going to be affordable, is that it will compromise a lot more. I think it may even run the A4, or possibly, Apple's next iOS chip, A_?, running at 2GHz, with a gig of RAM, to power iOS on a MacBook Air.

Who knows what they've got in the pipeline.
post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

But I thought netbooks were evil, no?

Appleland: "netbook" = "subnotebook"

The rest of the world: "netbook" = "netbook"

Steve is so high on his recovery drugs these days....


"subnotebook" = "subnotebook"

"netbook" = "crappy subnotebook"

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply

     197619842013  

     Where were you when the hammer flew?  

 

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5 • iPad 4 • CR48 Chromebook • ThinkPad X220

Reply
post #28 of 52
Have to agree that this analysts predictions are way off. Seems as though he is competing with Gene Munster for recognition.

APPLE EVENT will surely bring new products to light as well as new distributors of its IPAD, AT&T and Verizon. As we are entering the holiday season its possible that a new hardware product could be introduced.
My thought is that this is more of a marketing and advertisement event as it will be picked up by many news sources .
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

If this guy really knew he was right, he'd be staying mum and quietly investing in touchscreen companies. Instead, he's just blowing hot air.

ok, i'm DEFINITELY NOT saying he's right, but if he were, and knew the manufacturers, he would have already invested in said touchscreen companies and would be screaming to everyone else exactly who they are.
post #30 of 52
That's not analysis, that was deduction. Guy listened to Gruber's podcast last night, ha.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing;

I'd be more interested in a 17" macbook air than a 11" one

17" MacBook Air? You so crazy.

In other news, I sold my MacBook Air two months ago and bought two iPads with the money. Good timing or what?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx;

The MacBook Air mini would be fantastic. Sign the petition here:

http://macbookair10.net

You'll take our 11.6" MacBook Air and you'll like it.

The only way you'll get people to sign that petition is if they were also crying out for a 10.1" MacBook Air. The problem is nobody is. Apple are updating the Air and making it 2 inches smaller, just because they want to. That's what's happening.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

We should track his predictions and see what percentage of the time he is correct.

I've always thought that...some enterprising journalist looking for a story could have their own "cottage" industry reviewing so called "experts" advice and detailing what they said and how it actually turned out.

Not just people like Wu, but magazines like "Money," Or the twits on CNBC, etc.

Best
post #34 of 52
I wonder if there is any possibility that Apple might replace/upgrade the Dashboard widgets with an IOS-based Dashboard leveraging touchscreen displays.

It wouldn't be ideal for all IOS Apps, but I can see certain ones like Google Earth, for example, being very easy to use on a full-sized touchscreen.

Perhaps they have a skunkworks where IOS is being compiled for a variety of platforms aside from ARM, such as Intel which would make it a relatively straightforward technology to integrate into full Mac OS X.

I never really got into Dashboard widgets. They were too limited and no one had much incentive to pour a lot of effort making high production value widgets. Now we all own a stable of very well done IOS apps that would be awesome to access on out laptops/iMacs.

Just a thought.

nothing to see here

Reply

nothing to see here

Reply
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

17" MacBook Air? You so crazy.

In other news, I sold my MacBook Air two months ago and bought two iPads with the money. Good timing or what?

Totally off topic, but I sold a 40GB AppleTV in June for $90...how cool is that?

nothing to see here

Reply

nothing to see here

Reply
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

I wonder if there is any possibility that Apple might replace/upgrade the Dashboard widgets with an IOS-based Dashboard leveraging touchscreen displays.

I'd put money on it.
post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Totally off topic, but I sold a 40GB AppleTV in June for $90...how cool is that?

Pretty cool! Good job! I also sold mine last month for $100, my 3Gs for $200 (got a new iPhone 4), sold my original intel MacBook for $286, sold my Casio camera (use iPhone 4 camera now) and gave away all my iPods.

Will be selling my original intel iMac and get a new MBA and then a 2nd gen, iPad 3Gs!

Best

Back to the topic now!
post #38 of 52
Retina displays across the line!!
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

I wonder if there is any possibility that Apple might replace/upgrade the Dashboard widgets with an IOS-based Dashboard leveraging touchscreen displays.

However the problem with Dashboaord wouldn't be improved by running iOS apps. For many of us Dashboard never really fit our work flow and methods. Regular Mac apps just are far more convient especially if you have a large sceen or multiple screens.
Quote:
It wouldn't be ideal for all IOS Apps, but I can see certain ones like Google Earth, for example, being very easy to use on a full-sized touchscreen.

The problem here is that a full OS/X app with touch support would be much better. You could get the best of both worlds. Still the ergonomics of a touch screen on a laptop is a huge problem.

There are a number of ways for Apple to address this though. One idea floating through my head is a transparent laptop screen that is viewable as a standard screen when oPen and as a touch panel when closed. Actually the screen needs not to be transparent if you use two LCD screens. In this approach OLED might work better. From Apples standpoint it shouldn't be a big deal software wise as all they would have to do is reverse the image. The neat thing is the utility of the machine would increase drastically but remain mechanically robust relative to other convertibles.
Quote:
Perhaps they have a skunkworks where IOS is being compiled for a variety of platforms aside from ARM, such as Intel which would make it a relatively straightforward technology to integrate into full Mac OS X.

This has been mentioned again and again but XCode already does this. Every app built for the simulator is an x86 app. The fact is you can easily run iOS apps on a Mac today if you have the source code. I don't see Apple going public with this technique though as it isn't a clean way to bring touch to the Mac.
Quote:

I never really got into Dashboard widgets. They were too limited and no one had much incentive to pour a lot of effort making high production value widgets. Now we all own a stable of very well done IOS apps that would be awesome to access on out laptops/iMacs.

There are two problems here. One is that dashboard isn't a solution to any pressing problem on the Mac. The other problem is the age old issue of making money off you works.

App store is a tremendous motivator for even minor app developers. Even modest pay backs to developers can result in numerous apps being produced that wouldn't be other wise. Like it or not the locked down nature of iOS and the low impact app store has lead to a very positive platform for developers.

This is one reason why I would like to see an app store come to the Mac. We obviously don't need a locked down platform but a secure and low cost way to distribute apps would be very helpful. Such a facility would lead to Mac's software library tripleing very quickly.

Quote:
Just a thought.

A good thought but honestly I don't see Apple going this route. They will bring touch to the Mac when it is ready. Adding iOS apps to dashboard would be a bust in my mind. To get the functionality of these Mini apps on a Mac requires giving developers an incentive via a framework for profits. Or atleast cheap distribution of their works.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I'd be more interested in a 17" macbook air than a 11" one

To each his own, but I would love a reasonably priced 11" Air I can travel with.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple component allocations point to new form factor sub-notebook