or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th

Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th

post #1 of 126
Both AT&T and Verizon announced Thursday that they will begin selling Apple's iPad in their brick-and-mortar retail stores on Thursday the 28th, with the latter offering the device in conjunction with its MiFi mobile hot spots.

AT&T Stores

AT&T said all three iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models will be available at more than 2,200 AT&T Stores starting October 28. The wireless operator said it will be pitching the tablets alongside its 3G pre-paid data plans complete with Apple’s easy on-device activation and management.

Plans start at $14.99 per month for 250MB and $25 per month for 2GB with no term contract. Both plans include unlimited access to AT&T’s 23,000+ domestic Wi-Fi Hot Spots. The iPads themselves will sell for Apple's suggested retail price of $629 for the 16GB model, $729 for the 32GB and $829 for the 64GB.

“We look forward to expanding the reach of iPad, allowing even more customers to experience the magic of iPad for themselves,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s COO. “As we approach the holiday season, we are very happy that customers will now be able to buy iPad Wi-Fi + 3G at AT&T Stores.”

Verizon Stores

For its part, Verizon will offer only the WiFi versions of the iPad, bundling them with its Verizon MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot routers for a suggested retail price of $629.99 for iPad Wi-Fi 16GB + MiFi, $729.99 for iPad Wi-Fi 32GB + MiFi and $829.99 for iPad Wi-Fi 64GB + MiFi.

Verizon is offering a monthly access plan to iPad customers of up to 1GB of data for $20 a month. In addition, the carrier will also offer all three iPad Wi-Fi models on a stand-alone basis.

“This is the perfect pairing for holiday travels,” said John Stratton, chief operating officer for Verizon Wireless. “iPad together with the nation’s largest and most reliable 3G data network allows customers to easily connect on the go wherever they are.”

Verizon's MiFi 2200 (top, right) providing Internet access to an iPad | Source: Examiner

Verizon's MiFi 2200, pictured above, is small enough to fit in a pocket and allows users to create a personal Wi-Fi cloud capable of sharing the high-speed Internet connectivity of the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Broadband network with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices. The MiFi 2200’s rechargeable battery provides up to four hours of active use and 40 hours of standby time on a single charge.
post #2 of 126
Wat.

WAT.

This is a spectacular way to judge the desire for an Apple device using Verizon's telephony network. The number of people that buy a Wi-Fi iPad from Verizon would be the same number that'd buy an iPhone/iPad built for Verizon.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
post #3 of 126
Wow! I can understand AT&T selling iPads that work on their network, but I’m surprised that Verizon would sell WiFi iPads to promote their MiFi products. Just how big is this iPad thing anyway?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #4 of 126
Here's the link in case someone's wondering:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad.jsp
post #5 of 126
So if I want to use an iPad on Verizon's network, I have to carry two devices? No thanks. However it's interesting that they are selling it....
post #6 of 126

Well, shit, oh dear!.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #7 of 126
So this is how it begins...
post #8 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So if I want to use an iPad on Verizon's network, I have to carry two devices? No thanks. However it's interesting that they are selling it....

To be fair, it's a pretty useful device, and you can have more than one device using its 3G connection.

But as you alluded to, it's far, FAR more interesting that Apple and Verizon are working together on anything at all. The double-punch of WSJ and NYT reports on the Verizon iPhone had already turned me from skeptic into believer, but now I'm nearly 100 percent sold on it happening as predicted.
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
27" 3.06 GHz iMac

16 GB iPhone 4
80 GB iPod Classic
1 GB 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle

Apple TV (2nd gen)
Apple TV (1st gen 40 GB)
AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n)
post #9 of 126
Quote:

The MiFi isn't iPad-only. With that you can connect your laptop, ipod touch, ipad, and whoever else you might wanna connect (up to 5).

Plus, one big key the article misses is the data plans for Verizon
$20 for 1GB
$35 for 3GB
$50 for 5GB
post #10 of 126
Quote:

What's likely?
-- tether with VZ CDMA phone
-- Upgrade iPad, adding CDMA
-- both
-- neither

post #11 of 126
Fascinating venue for the iPad, but in a way it's basically an additional retail outlet for such a coveted device. Way to go for Apple-more free PR & $$$ in the bag.
post #12 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wat.

WAT.

This is a spectacular way to judge the desire for an Apple device using Verizon's telephony network. The number of people that buy a Wi-Fi iPad from Verizon would be the same number that'd buy an iPhone/iPad built for Verizon.

True to an extent, but I don't think it is a true indicator. Many people who want a Verizon iPhone may have gone with the WiFi only iPad already, and will not be able to get this deal.

Others, myself included, opted for a Palm Pre Plus because it Verizon offered (still does?) free Mobile Hotspot (up to 5 devices/5GB month). Still would have a WiFi only iPad.
post #13 of 126
Am I reading this wrong or is Verizon absolutely desperate to get on board?
post #14 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

The MiFi isn't iPad-only. With that you can connect your laptop, ipod touch, ipad, and whoever else you might wanna connect (up to 5).

Plus, one big key the article misses is the data plans for Verizon
$20 for 1GB
$35 for 3GB
$50 for 5GB

P.S. The Verizon iPad ALSO comes with a case for the same price.

Link for case, please!

... you know the case just has to have VZ all over it

post #15 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Link for case, please!

... you know the case just has to have VZ all over it

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad_faq.jsp

EDIT: Sorry, that was for the pricing. I don't know where i got the case from... It's too early for me =\\
post #16 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wat.

WAT.

Now this I agree with you. Except it being the same number... Some people may not like to have to use MiFi... I love my iPad 3G, connected virtually everywhere, anytime.
post #17 of 126
Fabulous! And just in time for the holidays...

I think it's a very good idea to offer it with the MiFi. It opens up lots of possibilities.

I just onder if Verizon has you go through some hoops when you use the MiFi (Kinda like at rest-areas' WiFi spots) in order to use it?

I haven't ever used a MiFi, so i don't know...

Great news though.
post #18 of 126
This is the start of the Apple-Verizon relationship. I think it's pretty clear now that we'll see the iPhone on Verizon next year...

Anyways.. Verizon's data plans for the iPad is better than AT&T's I think..
post #19 of 126
I note that they will sell non wi-fi versions too.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #20 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This is the start of the Apple-Verizon relationship. I think it's pretty clear now that we'll see the iPhone on Verizon next year...

just thinking the same thing
post #21 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! I can understand AT&T selling iPads that work on their network, but Im surprised that Verizon would sell WiFi iPads to promote their MiFi products. Just how big is this iPad thing anyway?

This iPad thing is massive. That's why the international rollout of iPad has been so slow. They've focused on key markets and are set to dominate, particularly the next three months. iPhone and iPad everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPrtmn4evr View Post

So this is how it begins...

Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroG View Post

Fascinating venue for the iPad, but in a way it's basically an additional retail outlet for such a coveted device. Way to go for Apple-more free PR & $$$ in the bag.

It's where all the extra iPads are going. Not overseas but the expanded retail chains. I'd be very surprised if Apple did not do at least 9 million iPad units in the Oct-Dec quarter *alone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Am I reading this wrong or is Verizon absolutely desperate to get on board?

Well the telcos will always take anything that's hip and hot. iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy *cough* ... All to keep people on their networks.
post #22 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Something would have to go very, very wrong for iPhone not to be on Verizon by end of 2011.
post #23 of 126
Quote:
We look forward to expanding the reach of iPad, allowing even more customers to experience the magic of iPad for themselves, said Tim Cook, Apples COO.

Ugh. Ok, we get it - Steve Jobs wants to associate the words 'iPad' and 'magic' together at every opportunity. A year from now this will have all the cachet of glitter rainbow posters.

Apple, please find a different way to describe this product.
post #24 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

I think it's a very good idea to offer it with the MiFi. It opens up lots of possibilities.

I just onder if Verizon has you go through some hoops when you use the MiFi (Kinda like at rest-areas' WiFi spots) in order to use it?

Great news though.

If it is anything like what I do with my Pre? All I do is turn the Mobile Hotspot App on, and the first time I connect a device, manually set it up with SPID and Security Key. After that? It just connects if the hotspot is on. Pretty seamless. And very similar pricing, and I think a clue as to how Verizon "values" data. $15 for 256 MB on AT&T is nothing data-wise. 1GB on VZW is a better deal @ $20. 3 GB is the same for both ($35), and 5 is a better deal on Verizon ($50 vs $55). This last part makes any data over 5GB a better deal on Verizon, if only because the 5GB base saves that $5.

Good they are different enough, good to have a choice. The added benefit of the MiFi is you can connect up to 5 devices at a time, the advantage to AT&T is you have one unit, and aren't sharing the data cap.

I think this may bolster the Verizon iPhone in 2011 chances as well.
post #25 of 126
Welcome Verizon to the Apple retail & partner family... the Verizon iPhone is all but guaranteed now. Competition for AT&Terrible, welcome indeed.
post #26 of 126
Quote:

Agreed. What a bunch of crap from Verizon. I have to carry two devices around? .....and for slower access?
post #27 of 126
Verizon solution does not include an iPad with a GPS chip (it is not the 3G model). Also, that MiFi can only last 4 hours.
post #28 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I think that is a misprint. I don't see any evidence on the Verizon site they are selling the 3G model.

Actually, the FAQ states they are only selling the WiFi, and not the WiFi+3G

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/ipad_faq.jsp
post #29 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Great news though.

We have an iPad WiFi and an iPad WiFi + 3G

We're planning on getting another..

This gives us another option, the chance to try the MiFi, and a chance to try the VZ service...

VZ should allow pre-orders, tho...

Our local VZ store is adjacent to the ATT store... I think I'll meander down there on "availability" day and see wha's happenin'.
post #30 of 126
Quote:

mifi 2200 is the size of a credit card although a bit thicker.. More than small enough to fit almost any pocket..
post #31 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Agreed. What a bunch of crap from Verizon. I have to carry two devices around? .....and for slower access?

MiFi thingys are quite small, just turn it on, leave it in your pocket if you like, and iPad WiFi is good to go. It'll be good for those that hate ATT, albeit with a bit of inconvenience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

If it is anything like what I do with my Pre? All I do is turn the Mobile Hotspot App on, and the first time I connect a device, manually set it up with SPID and Security Key. After that? It just connects if the hotspot is on. Pretty seamless. And very similar pricing, and I think a clue as to how Verizon "values" data. $15 for 256 MB on AT&T is nothing data-wise. 1GB on VZW is a better deal @ $20. 3 GB is the same for both ($35), and 5 is a better deal on Verizon ($50 vs $55). This last part makes any data over 5GB a better deal on Verizon, if only because the 5GB base saves that $5.

Good they are different enough, good to have a choice. The added benefit of the MiFi is you can connect up to 5 devices at a time, the advantage to AT&T is you have one unit, and aren't sharing the data cap.

I think this may bolster the Verizon iPhone in 2011 chances as well.

Those Verizon plans look good. $15 for 256MB looks like you'd get it for emergencies only.

Have you compared the over limit charges? Is ATT $10 per GB as well? I'll Google it.
post #32 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We have an iPad WiFi and an iPad WiFi + 3G

We're planning on getting another..

This gives us another option, the chance to try the MiFi, and a chance to try the VZ service...

VZ should allow pre-orders, tho...

Our local VZ store is adjacent to the ATT store... I think I'll meander down there on "availability" day and see wha's happenin'.

Unfortunately no Verizon pre-orders...
post #33 of 126
So VZ's standalone mifi device sells for $99 with a two year contract. But with the iPad bundle promo you'll pay $30 more for it to be non-contract. Basically pricing is the same with a 3G iPad. Big difference is you carry an extra although small device.

The difference that matters between VZ's and AT&T's iPad is the data plans.

I think Verizon's plans are better than AT&T...
post #34 of 126
More choice is good, Verizon solution bad.

AT&T: For $629, I get the 3G+ WiFi model with a GPS Chip and free access to over 20,000 wireless hotspots.

Verizon: For $629, I only get the Wifi model (no GPS!) and I need to carry around a second device that only has a 4 hour capacity. No GPS, no free Wireless Hotspots. No thanks.

So, does this mean we will never see a CDMA iPad? What does that mean for the rumored CDMA iPhone? If Apple was planning for a CDMA iPhone, why wouldn't they also create a CDMA iPad?
post #35 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

MiFi thingys are quite small, just turn it on, leave it in your pocket if you like, and iPad WiFi is good to go. It'll be good for those that hate ATT, albeit with a bit of inconvenience.

Those Verizon plans look good. $15 for 256MB looks like you'd get it for emergencies only.

Have you compared the over limit charges? Is ATT $10 per GB as well? I'll Google it.

AT&T is $10/GB over, starting at 2GB. so for 3GB, they are $35, like Verizon. They are the same for 4 GB ($45) and because Verizon at 5GB lowers the price a bit (by $5) anything over that is cheaper by $5 than the same on AT&T
post #36 of 126
Verizon is going to automatically scoop up a ton of cash for the data plans because no one is going to be able to stay below 1gig a month. I investigated that mifi deal last winter for home use because i just moved and no friggen internet co would do an install in late november. I found that i would have quickly and easliy maxed out the 5gig in no time and at least at that time if you maxed out you would be out of data until the next month. I thought to myself that is nuts to get one if i run out. Shoot, i almost use a gig on the iPhone and there isnt even any files being transfered due to the fact that it isnt a computer that can send attachements other than the occassional photo sent to someone. Big deal if up to 5 other devices can get on the network, it will only mean running out of data quicker and before the end of the months plan.

Verizon is going to get a bunch of sheep in on the mifi thing and those good folks are going to slide into complacency when they get used to the fact that they are paying an additional $50 month.
post #37 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

More choice is good, Verizon solution bad.

AT&T: For $629, I get the 3G+ WiFi model with a GPS Chip and free access to over 20,000 wireless hotspots.

Verizon: For $629, I only get the Wifi model (no GPS!) and I need to carry around a second device that only has a 4 hour capacity. No GPS, no free Wireless Hotspots. No thanks.

So, does this mean we will never see a CDMA iPad? What does that mean for the rumored CDMA iPhone? If Apple was planning for a CDMA iPhone, why wouldn't they also create a CDMA iPad?

I doubt a CDMA iPad as there is a solution in place (what Verizon is doing). It isn't a phone that would need service.

As far as Verizon solution bad? Not as bad as you think. For the loss of GPS (not necessarily a deal breaker for most) you get to share the connection with up to 5 total devices at a time.
post #38 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman View Post

Verizon is going to automatically scoop up a ton of cash for the data plans because no one is going to be able to stay below 1gig a month. I investigated that mifi deal last winter for home use because i just moved and no friggen internet co would do an install in late november. I found that i would have quickly and easliy maxed out the 5gig in no time and at least at that time if you maxed out you would be out of data until the next month. I thought to myself that is nuts to get one if i run out. Shoot, i almost use a gig on the iPhone and there isnt even any files being transfered due to the fact that it isnt a computer that can send attachements other than the occassional photo sent to someone. Big deal if up to 5 other devices can get on the network, it will only mean running out of data quicker and before the end of the months plan.

Verizon is going to get a bunch of sheep in on the mifi thing and those good folks are going to slide into complacency when they get used to the fact that they are paying an additional $50 month.

While you are focusing on Verizon only, you do see the same exact issue on AT&T, right? Not to mention AT&T's $15 plan is 250 MB.
post #39 of 126
What exactly is the difference between Verizon's MiFi and Apple's first (pre-2000) Airport Base Station (the grey plastic disc), other than that was only WiFi-B?

(No mobile reception)
post #40 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

I doubt a CDMA iPad as there is a solution in place (what Verizon is doing). It isn't a phone that would need service.

As far as Verizon solution bad? Not as bad as you think. For the loss of GPS (not necessarily a deal breaker for most) you get to share the connection with up to 5 total devices at a time.

GPS is like power windows in a car. Once you have it, you wonder how you lived without it.

5 devices will only chew up your data usage that much faster. Verizon will be happy, so will 4 of your cheapest friends.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad coming to AT&T and Verizon stores on October 28th