or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces $1 billion in mobile revenue

Google announces $1 billion in mobile revenue

post #1 of 67
Google revealed in its third-quarter earnings call that the search giant is on track to bring in $1 billion this year in mobile revenue and expects continued strong growth in the mobile market.

Google Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette prefaced the metrics by emphasizing that the company was making the product specific breakdown available on a "one-time basis."

"I need to make it very clear that we will not be updating these numbers going forward. We are merely sharing them with you as a proof point of the great momentum we're experiencing in our emerging businesses," said Pichette.

"Mobile revenue is on an annualized run rate of over $1 billion," said Jonathan Rosenberg, senior vice president of product management at Google. Search queries from mobile devices have grown 5 times over the last couple of years, with most of the queries coming from Android phones, Rosenberg noted.

Google is placing a heavy emphasis on the emerging mobile market. Mobile "is the future of search in the internet," Rosenberg said. Recent smartphone sales data shows that the Android mobile operating system is outselling Apple's iOS.

The $1 billion news comes as a rare glimpse into Google's share of mobile profits. In late September, IDC reported that it expects Apple to match Google with 21 percent of the mobile ad market share by the end of the year. A Google spokesperson declined to respond with figures of its mobile ad sales for the year, but assured that Google was "experiencing fast growth" in mobile ad revenue this year. "If we are losing share, this market is growing faster than any one we've ever seen," said Jason Spero, director of mobile for the Americas at Google.

When Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs announced the iAd mobile advertising program, data from JP Morgan revealed that projected iAd revenue for the second half of 2010 could give Apple as much as a 50 percent share of the emerging market. The iAd platform will receive a substantial boost in November when it comes to the iPad on iOS 4.2.

Yahoo Chief Executive Carol Bartz believes iAd will "fall apart" as Apple's high level of control drives away advertisers. Adidas is rumored to have canceled a $10 million iAd contract because Apple had exerted too much control over the process.

Not everyone's experience of iAd has been negative, though. Nissan and Unilever both told the Los Angeles Times in August that they were pleased with the initial performance of the iAd network.

"We feel pretty strongly that this is the way to capitalize on where the mobile Web is heading," Chad Jacoby, senior manager of Nissan's media operations, reportedly said.

For its part, Apple will report its quarterly revenues on Monday, Oct. 18 at 5 p.m. Eastern, 2 p.m. Pacific. Whether the company will also release specific figures for mobile revenue remains to be seen.
post #2 of 67
I'll bet Larry Ellison has plans for a huge chunk of that.

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #3 of 67
Actually, if I were an Android OEM like HTC or LG, I would feel kinda RAPED about now: Google gives me this OS, that I have to pay a licensing fee for to Microsoft, and I'm in danger of being sued by Oracle, and I am being sued by Apple, all so that Google can make a mint off of my labors. And then Verizon takes my work and messes with it? OMG! I am the BIGGEST LOSER!
post #4 of 67
$1B in revenue. how much profit?
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Actually, if I were an Android OEM like HTC or LG, I would feel kinda RAPED about now: Google gives me this OS, that I have to pay a licensing fee for to Microsoft, and I'm in danger of being sued by Oracle, and I am being sued by Apple, all so that Google can make a mint off of my labors. And then Verizon takes my work and messes with it? OMG! I am the BIGGEST LOSER!

good one !!!
you made my day...

jokes apart, it is good to see that the company who is making operating system and giving it for free to mobile companies and making profit only from ads...

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

my way or the highway...

Macbook Pro i7 13" with intel SSD 320 series and 8GB RAM, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (Retina)

post #6 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

The vendors that jumped onto Android werent doing so well in the market anyway.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

If its stated that Apple and Google will have an equivalent percentage of the mobile market by the end of the year and we know that Apple charges a lot more for ads doesnt that mean that Apple will be making more revenue in mobile ads than Google? I wonder if that aspect will be picked up by analysts and if AAPL stock will get a boost tomorrow because of Googles stats.
post #8 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If its stated that Apple and Google will have an equivalent percentage of the mobile market by the end of the year ......

I think that's a big 'if.' There are too many speculative variables.

I am still not convinced about Google's revenues from ads (I don't doubt the fact that they get some revenues from licensing Android). Moreover, the fact that they do not mention segment operating profit is odd.
post #9 of 67
Quote:

If its stated that Apple and Google will have an equivalent percentage of the mobile market by the end of the year and we know that Apple charges a lot more for ads doesnt that mean that Apple will be making more revenue in mobile ads than Google? I wonder if that aspect will be picked up by analysts and if AAPL stock will get a boost tomorrow because of Googles stats.

In all likelyhood Apple will continue to climb tomorrow, as it has since early October ... not because of Google, but because earnings report are just around the corner and expectations are that Apple will, once again, blow the "experts" away, imo. This is Apple's time to shine.
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
See, in the record business, you can show someone your song, and they don’t copy it. In the tech business, you show somebody your idea, and they steal it. (Jimmy Iovine)
post #10 of 67
bwahahaha, $1 billion in revenue!? didnt apple already give $1 billion to developers alone, solely with the %70 cut of profits made from apps.. you'd think all those brains at google could capitalize on their copy-apple-but-profit-on-apple-hating concept a bit more than that

edit: i had the percentages switched around, thanks newbee
post #11 of 67
Ohhh good for you!!! And how was it?

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #12 of 67
Quote:
"Mobile revenue is on an annualized run rate of over $1 billion," said Jonathan Rosenberg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that Google announced $250M in mobile revenue? An "annualized run rate" means that how much they'd make per year if this quarter's revenue keeps up, doesn't it? Or am I misreading?
post #13 of 67
Quote:

If it’s stated that Apple and Google will have an equivalent percentage of the mobile market by the end of the year and we know that Apple charges a lot more for ads doesn’t that mean that Apple will be making more revenue in mobile ads than Google? I wonder if that aspect will be picked up by analysts and if AAPL stock will get a boost tomorrow because of Google’s stats.

GOOG will be pretty tough to top tomorrow. They were up 9% in after-hours trading with an earnings report that beat the street by around 15%.
Please don't be insane.
Please don't be insane.
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that Google announced $250M in mobile revenue? An "annualized run rate" means that how much they'd make per year if this quarter's revenue keeps up, doesn't it? Or am I misreading?

It could be even less, friend. Based on the "annualized" language, Google could also be projecting future growth percentages to whatever they have today.

JWS
post #15 of 67
And Apple is earning billions per quarter in mobile. 'Nuff said.
post #16 of 67
one billion dollars in revenue is quite a sizeable figure, regardless of company
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

bwahahaha, $1 billion in revenue!? didnt apple already give $1 billion to developers alone, solely with the %30 cut of profits made from apps.. you'd think all those brains at google could capitalize on their copy-apple-but-profit-on-apple-hating concept a bit more than that

If I'm not mistaken the 1 billion given to developers come from the 70% that they are entitled to ... the 30% that Apple gets, Apple keeps.
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Chief Financial Officer Patrick Pichette prefaced the metrics by emphasizing that the company was making the product specific breakdown available on a "one-time basis."

"I need to make it very clear that we will not be updating these numbers going forward. We are merely sharing them with you as a proof point of the great momentum we're experiencing in our emerging businesses," said Pichette.

If it was such a "proof point of the great momentum" why wouldn't you want to repeatedly brag about it instead of only breaking out the numbers once? Seems to me that the momentum going forward isn't all that and that Apple must be having a big impact on their numbers...
post #19 of 67
Quote:

Search queries from mobile devices have grown 5 times over the last couple of years, with most of the queries coming from Android phones, Rosenberg noted.

I found the above observation most interesting, since iOS devices are still said to well outnumber Android devices. It all makes sense, though, when the most frequent query is revealed: "How do you upgrade this thing?"
post #20 of 67
Good for Google but continued expansion of search is gong to lead to a sea of unread ads.Look, if you or I go to 100 sites daily and see the same coca cola ad we aren't going to buy the effin coke 100 times when we go to the store.
There are more Google ads online than people on earth. Google is raping their advertiser.
post #21 of 67
Quote:

Recent smartphone sales data shows that the Android mobile operating system is outselling Apple's iOS.

Most readers misread those numbers. They show Android in the first half of the year outselling the iPhone part of iOS in the US, which is a different thing.
Add the iPod touch + iPad and count total sales (not only US) and the iOS operating system is doing way better than Android.
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

There are more Google ads online than people on earth. Google is raping their advertiser.

There are more print ads in your house right now, if you have a stack of magazines, than there are people in your neighborhood. And even worse, all your neighbors have newspapers and magazines laying around, each one with literally DOZENS of print ads.

And the same in every nighborhood in your town! And in the nezxt town!

Are all the advertisers being raped by the print industry?
post #23 of 67
Ok, so if things continue they will make 1 BILLION dollars this year?

- They don't charge for the OS?
- This is income from ad's only?
- Who's being F$%^CK hard here?

1 BILLION from ad revenue? How much are you spending?

I can list hundreds of folks who have NOT purchased ANYTHING from their phone, and if you multiply that by $0.00, someone out there is spending a ton of bucks?

Now, can someone make this clearer for me. What and who is being charged for what, and how much (so that Google can (maybe) make) 1 BILLION DOLLARS within their fiscal year?

Are they getting a cut from every phone sold with their OS on it? No, it's free?

How many of you out there are clicking on, or buying anything via your phone? Let's do the math.

Hey, if the 1 BILLION is based on what companies are buying Google to have an ad on any phone with the Google OS?

Sorry, this math is real hard for me.

Skip
post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Skip

That's clear.

Here's some answers:

"Ok, so if things continue they will make 1 BILLION dollars this year?"

From one part of their enterprise, yes.

"I can list hundreds of folks who have NOT purchased ANYTHING from their phone, and if you multiply that by $0.00, someone out there is spending a ton of bucks?"

The topic is ad revenue, not retail sales. The revenue comes from the advertisers, and not from retail customers of the advertisers.

"Now, can someone make this clearer for me. What and who is being charged for what, and how much (so that Google can (maybe) make) 1 BILLION DOLLARS within their fiscal year?"

You already know the answer to this one.
"- This is income from ad's only?"

"Hey, if the 1 BILLION is based on what companies are buying Google to have an ad on any phone with the Google OS?"

No. The advertisers show up on any phone, including the iPhone, any time a user uses Google's many services. There is no need to have a "Google OS". In that manner, Google is likely to serve many more ads than Apple.
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

No. The advertisers show up on any phone, including the iPhone, any time a user uses Google's many services. There is no need to have a "Google OS". In that manner, Google is likely to serve many more ads than Apple.

Don't forget most website you visit (like this one) have their adverts managed by Google.
post #26 of 67

annualized and revenue.

They did not report mobile quarterly figures or costs and profits.

But. we can extrapolate:

$1 Billion annualized == $250 million quarterly mobile revenue.

Elsewhere in the earnings report:

$7,268 million total quarterly revenue

or quarterly mobile revenue == 3.44% of total revenue

One of the costs broken out was TAC (Traffic Acquisition Costs,) -- these were $.25 for each $1 of revenue.

Assuming that TAC costs are consistent across mobile and non-mobile that means:

quarterly mobile revenue - TAC == $187.5 million

ANAICT, Gross margins were 40% of revenue - TAC

quarterly gross mobile profit == $75 million

No figures were given, so let's assume that 50% of mobile comes from Android phones (50 % from iPhones and all other smart phones)

quarterly gross mobile profit from Android == $37.5 million

No direct expenses/costs were given for mobile, Android development, etc.

If we assume Google has 10 people on the Android team @ $100,000 each, per year (Pay, office, equipment, benefits, etc.) or $.25 million per quarter

That would leave:

Android quarterly profit before taxes == $37.25 million

Obviously, these are just SWAG estimates (and I hope my math and logic are correct) -- but they are an attempt to put in context the headline of this article"

"Google announces $1 billion in mobile revenue" == $25 million Android quarterly profit after taxes (30%).

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

annualized and revenue.

They did not report mobile quarterly figures or costs and profits.

But. we can extrapolate:

$1 Billion annualized == $250 million quarterly mobile revenue.

Elsewhere in the earnings report:

$7,268 million total quarterly revenue

or quarterly mobile revenue == 3.44% of total revenue

One of the costs broken out was TAC (Traffic Acquisition Costs,) -- these were $.25 for each $1 of revenue.

Assuming that TAC costs are consistent across mobile and non-mobile that means:

quarterly mobile revenue - TAC == $187.5 million

ANAICT, Gross margins were 40% of revenue - TAC

quarterly gross mobile profit == $75 million

No figures were given, so let's assume that 50% of mobile comes from Android phones (50 % from iPhones and all other smart phones)

quarterly gross mobile profit from Android == $37.5 million

No direct expenses/costs were given for mobile, Android development, etc.

If we assume Google has 10 people on the Android team @ $100,000 each, per year (Pay, office, equipment, benefits, etc.) or $.25 million per quarter

That would leave:

Android quarterly profit before taxes == $37.25 million

Obviously, these are just SWAG estimates (and I hope my math and logic are correct) -- but they are an attempt to put in context the headline of this article"

"Google announces $1 billion in mobile revenue" == $25 million Android quarterly profit after taxes (30%).

Thanks for fleshing this out.. I had a similar thought, but was too lazy to do the work. it strikes me that one assumption in there that is particularly favorable to Google is the assumption of 10 FTEs working on Android. It's got to be much more than that -- at least 10 times that number. And if it's not then Android is way understaffed which suggests a major train wreck in the not too distant future.
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by appl View Post

That's what Ad Blocker software is for.

post #29 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Thanks for fleshing this out.. I had a similar thought, but was too lazy to do the work. it strikes me that one assumption in there that is particularly favorable to Google is the assumption of 10 FTEs working on Android. It's got to be much more than that -- at least 10 times that number. And if it's not then Android is way understaffed which suggests a major train wreck in the not too distant future.

Yeah, I was trying to give Android the benefit of every doubt.

Do you really think the Android team is 100 employees?

I was basing my estimate on simpler times-- when SJ and 7-10 pirates created this thing called the Mac (hardware, OS UI, desk accessories, and basic apps) from scratch.

post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

bwahahaha, $1 billion in revenue!? didnt apple already give $1 billion to developers alone, solely with the %70 cut of profits made from apps.

The App store is not 100% profit for Apple or for the app developers so it's not 70% to developers cut of profits.
And the developers "earned" that. It wasn't "given" to them.
post #31 of 67
Has anyone ever clicked on a mobile ad?

Like on purpose. Not by accident.

C.
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesw View Post

A lot. Software development cost is a fraction of that. I'm on a very large project (I'm an IT consultant) and the total size of the project does not even remotely approach 1 Billion (in fact, i am not aware of any OS development that even approaches 1 Billion)... I think Google assumed that any reasonable person would infer that a substantial amount of that money is profit. Once google builts the OS, all they have to do is make incremental changes and continue to reap the annual (and growing) 1 Billion revenue. I'll bet the cost of developing new versions of the OS is under 10 million.
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkhan2000 View Post

And Apple is earning billions per quarter in mobile. 'Nuff said.

Yes but apple cost is higher. Apple cost also includes hardware and R&D into creating that hardware in addition to software cost (google only has software cost).
You really cannot do a direct comparison and i doubt that was google intention. Their intention was to show that they are generating revenue from their mobile business, hence why it's a one-time shot.. to shut up the critics
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

A lot. Software development cost is a fraction of that. I'm on a very large project (I'm an IT consultant) and the total size of the project does not even remotely approach 1 Billion (in fact, i am not aware of any OS development that even approaches 1 Billion)... I think Google assumed that any reasonable person would infer that a substantial amount of that money is profit. Once google builts the OS, all they have to do is make incremental changes and continue to reap the annual (and growing) 1 Billion revenue. I'll bet the cost of developing new versions of the OS is under 10 million.

You do realize that there are many costs other than just the cost of software development, right?

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Ok, so if things continue they will make 1 BILLION dollars this year?

- They don't charge for the OS?
- This is income from ad's only?
- Who's being F$%^CK hard here?

1 BILLION from ad revenue? How much are you spending?

I can list hundreds of folks who have NOT purchased ANYTHING from their phone, and if you multiply that by $0.00, someone out there is spending a ton of bucks?

Now, can someone make this clearer for me. What and who is being charged for what, and how much (so that Google can (maybe) make) 1 BILLION DOLLARS within their fiscal year?

Are they getting a cut from every phone sold with their OS on it? No, it's free?

How many of you out there are clicking on, or buying anything via your phone? Let's do the math.

Hey, if the 1 BILLION is based on what companies are buying Google to have an ad on any phone with the Google OS?

Skip

Fortunately for Google, they really don't care how hard the math is for you. They are making a Billion. You can run around claiming they are not, while they laugh at you on the way to the bank or you can just accept it. I'm sure they are not up at night worried that you don't believe them. When they were releasing the numbers, they had you in mind.. they thought.. why not lie just so we can confuse this guy. You were the lucky winner (they probably pulled your name out of a hat). Ok, sarcasm was deep on that one.

If apple tomorrow comes out and said they made 1 Billion, no one questions it..
but just to help you... not all google apps are free.. google takes a percentage (i know what you think.. only iphone has apps.. why, no one could possibly make money on apps like apple does.. how dare google!!!.. blasphemy!!.. lets hang them all). Google has ads.

Now, take your time.. read carefully and i hope the math gets easier and if it doesnt.. remember.. Google does not give a shit
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Don't forget most website you visit (like this one) have their adverts managed by Google.

From what I have seen, Google is perhaps their biggest customer. We, of course, are the product that they sell to Google.
post #37 of 67
Quote:

Fortunately for Google, they really don't care how hard the math is for you. They are making a Billion. You can run around claiming they are not, while they laugh at you on the way to the bank or you can just accept it. I'm sure they are not up at night worried that you don't believe them. When they were releasing the numbers, they had you in mind.. they thought.. why not lie just so we can confuse this guy. You were the lucky winner (they probably pulled your name out of a hat). Ok, sarcasm was deep on that one.

If apple tomorrow comes out and said they made 1 Billion, no one questions it..
but just to help you... not all google apps are free.. google takes a percentage (i know what you think.. only iphone has apps.. why, no one could possibly make money on apps like apple does.. how dare google!!!.. blasphemy!!.. lets hang them all). Google has ads.

Now, take your time.. read carefully and i hope the math gets easier and if it doesnt.. remember.. Google does not give a shit

No, they were thinking of you. "Let's release some basically meaningless numbers. Wes will think it means something, even if no one else would".

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

You do realize that there are many costs other than just the cost of software development, right?

Yes but apple shares those same cost. That was my point. He was making a point about apple revenue per quarter being billions and my point is that their cost per quarter is billions also.
It would be really difficult to do a direct comparison on revenue. The only comparison that is fair would be profit but neither Google or Apple would divulge profits (for obvious competitive reasons).
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

$25 million Android quarterly profit after taxes (30%).

Wrap it up. I'll take it.
post #40 of 67
Quote:

Yes but apple cost is higher. Apple cost also includes hardware and R&D into creating that hardware in addition to software cost (google only has software cost).

I've bolded what seems to be the main source of your confusion (though your apparent anger seems to come from nowhere).

Google, as with every other major company (yes, even software companies) have many costs, beyond R&D. Think hard, some will come to you.

...sometimes it's both

...sometimes it's both
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google announces $1 billion in mobile revenue