or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs

More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs - Page 2

post #41 of 111
So yes, there's all kind of buzz about the next-gen MacBook Air. But I wouldn't be surprised if Steve shocked us with some avant-garde Mac OS and Mac news too. I think we're all expecting some kind of hybridization of iOS multi-touch and traditional Mac OS X. Steve will probably lay out the groundwork for that, starting with 10.7. (And I would expect 10.7 to be the final revision of Mac OS X before Mac OS 11, or whatever it will be called. Hence the codename "Lion," the ultimate Big Cat.)

But what about hardware? The event's title is "Back to the Mac," which could imply some kind of hardware feature migration from iDevices "back to" iMacs, Mac Pros, and MacBooks. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the laptops (if anything) announced at the event will use an A4 or more advanced custom variant of the ARM reference design.

Apple didn't spend $278 million acquiring PA Semi just to have them warm over the ARM chip for iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, and iPod touch. (Intrinsity, which Apple acquired more recently, did all that iDevice tweaking.)

So maybe Steve will announce Apple's plan to split from Intel. A true, custom Apple-proprietary chip would give Apple independence from the Intels and AMDs of the world. Apple wouldn't need to wait for Intel to release new chips to everyone. And a proprietary chip would kill the "hackintosh" market dead.

It would also lower Apple's hardware production costs somewhat. Especially if their custom chip could be scaled from iPod touch up to medium-level MacBooks. There might always be Xserves and Mac Pros running Intel chips, for heavy number crunching and render farms. But the consumer portables and desktops could eventually be migrated to a proprietary Apple system on a chip.

Of course, that would require a huge amount of work on iOS and/or Mac OS. But that's what Apple is good at. Trying many variations, pruning the choices down, then picking the best possible solution and polishing it until it's ready for release.

All that hardware and software blood, sweat, and tears would be worth it. Apple would finally have their own ultra-efficient hardware custom made for, and tightly integrated with, their own OS. The end result being, of course, the best user experience on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #42 of 111
APple will never go to an ARM instruction set as the primary processor in a Mac. It isn't even remotely possible. Such a machine would be so underpowered they would loose most of their customer base overnight. I just don't think people realize the vast difference in performance we would see when offering up these ideas.

An iOS based netbook would be another thing, but it would get zero traction in the Mac market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So yes, there's all kind of buzz about the next-gen MacBook Air. But I wouldn't be surprised if Steve shocked us with some avant-garde Mac OS and Mac news too. I think we're all expecting some kind of hybridization of iOS multi-touch and traditional Mac OS X. Steve will probably lay out the groundwork for that, starting with 10.7. (And I would expect 10.7 to be the final revision of Mac OS X before Mac OS 11, or whatever it will be called. Hence the codename "Lion," the ultimate Big Cat.)

The Mac is almost certain to adopt some Touch technologies in the future. This is so likely that I don't see it as worthy of Jobs time on stage.

As to OS Ten well there are plenty more revisions possible.
Quote:
But what about hardware? The event's title is "Back to the Mac," which could imply some kind of hardware feature migration from iDevices "back to" iMacs, Mac Pros, and MacBooks. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the laptops (if anything) announced at the event will use an A4 or more advanced custom variant of the ARM reference design.

Extremely unlikely.
Quote:

Apple didn't spend $278 million acquiring PA Semi just to have them warm over the ARM chip for iPhone, Apple TV, iPad, and iPod touch. (Intrinsity, which Apple acquired more recently, did all that iDevice tweaking.)

Yes they did! Well at least in part they did. PA Semi was rumored to be part of the Mac business unit.
Quote:
So maybe Steve will announce Apple's plan to split from Intel. A true, custom Apple-proprietary chip would give Apple independence from the Intels and AMDs of the world. Apple wouldn't need to wait for Intel to release new chips to everyone. And a proprietary chip would kill the "hackintosh" market dead.

Apple has no desire to kill the hackentosh world. They are only concerned about people makng money off of their OS. The hackentosh world has actually helped Apple over the last few years.
Quote:

It would also lower Apple's hardware production costs somewhat. Especially if their custom chip could be scaled from iPod touch up to medium-level MacBooks. There might always be Xserves and Mac Pros running Intel chips, for heavy number crunching and render farms.

Without binary compatibility such machines would be useless.
Quote:
But the consumer portables and desktops could eventually be migrated to a proprietary Apple system on a chip.

Of course, that would require a huge amount of work on iOS and/or Mac OS. But that's what Apple is good at. Trying many variations, pruning the choices down, then picking the best possible solution and polishing it until it's ready for release.

Actually little effort is likely required. First; OS/X is Unix. Second; Apple most likely keeps OS/X running on a number of platforms as a matter of policy. Third; iOS and OS/X share much in the way of code already, the difference isn't as big as people imagine.
Quote:
All that hardware and software blood, sweat, and tears would be worth it. Apple would finally have their own ultra-efficient hardware custom made for, and tightly integrated with, their own OS. The end result being, of course, the best user experience on the planet.

Now you have gone overboard with the fanboy ranting. Apple won't be able to beat Intels or even AMDs cost advantages due to volume anytime soon.
post #43 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfreemanrph View Post

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air. I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here. I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

I'm sure it's the wave of the future.

1) This is still all rumor and speculation.
2) Obviously this wouldn't and shouldn't be a computer for you. You want features and capabilities in a MacBook Air form factor which isn't going to happen (this year or next year at least). When you make an ultrathin and light computer designed for maximum portability you can't include everything without driving the price through the roof which vastly reduces, if not eliminates, its' target market.
3) If you needed a bulldozer would you complain when a new sports car rumor about XYZ car company was printed because it can't do everything the bulldozer does?

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #44 of 111
Quote:

The special event is about Mac OS X 10.7 and the future of Macs.

So yes, there's all kind of buzz about the next-gen MacBook Air. But I wouldn't be surprised if Steve shocked us with some avant-garde Mac OS and Mac news too. I think we're all expecting some kind of hybridization of iOS multi-touch and traditional Mac OS X. Steve will probably lay out the groundwork for that, starting with 10.7.

When you put it as "the future of Macs", it widens the possibilities significantly further than "our attention is back on Macs".

What we'll hear about "Lion"(?) intrigues me. With Snow Leopard they said the upgrade was under the hood and for developers, mostly. Perhaps Lion doesn't require a huge lead up for developers as it's more focussed on new user interaction methods.

Lion could be closer to release than we imagine, even though my "realistic" thought is a year off. Then again I'm hoping Lion and the new data centre will be intimately connected, so it may be linked to that (and possibly wouldn't need much developer involvement in such an OS release?

Quote:

Yes I think it could be. Or it could relate to "Back to my Mac" and doing a remote desktop from an iOS device to your home Mac.

So now to get back to the MacBook Air rumours

If they are truly going to have 2 Airs, could the 13" be Intel, while the 11" is ARM based? Both configured almost identically - Mail, Calendar, iWork, iLife... both with touch, even both syncing back to a master Mac? Further to that could a MBA use a terminal back to a faster master mac (or Apple's data centre)?, or use Xgrid to get heavy processing done elsewhere?
post #45 of 111
Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards?

To me and everyone like me who already has everything else that Apple makes and still has some money left over.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #46 of 111
This is Apple's netbook. Okay, a $1000 netbook, but it's not like that hasn't been done before. Sony had their Vaio P in the same price range.
post #47 of 111
I dunno. 13 inch laptop is a perfect size for me, anything smaller just feels too small, even the 12 inch MBPs from back in the day.

It would be nice if they simply bumped the specs plus a 3g/4g connection for the 13 incher.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #48 of 111
To all those speculating extensively (i.e. ), the "Back to the Mac" moniker could just simply mean that the keynote and event will focus on the Mac platform in terms of a preview of 10.7 and new hardware releases (new MacBook Air + possibly refreshed MacBook's and MacBook Pro's in time for the holiday season). I think, as always, people are reading way way too much into this. I could be wrong but I think people need to get off the kool-aid and just wake up.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

C2D MBP 2.33GHZ/2 Gig/120 Gig/256MB
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

post #49 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

To me and everyone like me who already has everything else that Apple makes and still has some money left over.

Ditto...except for the "money left over" bit!
post #50 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I'm certain that specifications will improve from the April prototype. Certainly 4GB of RAM is mandatory. The SSD should be pretty fast as well.

This 'wedgier' MacBook Air with 2 USB ports and an SD port certainly removes one of the issues people had with the non-expandability of the previous model.

A lower price would also be good, if Apple can't get a faster CPU because they're stuck with 45nm Core 2 Duos because of Intel's empire building with the Core i3/i5 integrated graphics.

4 GB RAM would be nice - I have a Mini with 2 GBs and when using more than 3-4 programs I get a beachball quite often....
But this machine would be a great replacement for my 12' PowerBook G4. ;-)
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
Marquiz d' Gabber von Gabberaarde

... and Windows Vista...
... fails on the Moon...
... 6x slower!
post #51 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

4 GB RAM would be nice - I have a Mini with 2 GBs and when using more than 3-4 programs I get a beachball quite often....

How are you certain its because of insufficient RAM?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #52 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

To all those speculating extensively (i.e. ), the "Back to the Mac" moniker could just simply mean that the keynote and event will focus on the Mac platform in terms of a preview of 10.7 and new hardware releases (new MacBook Air + possibly refreshed MacBook's and MacBook Pro's in time for the holiday season). I think, as always, people are reading way way too much into this. I could be wrong but I think people need to get off the kool-aid and just wake up.

That’s what I’m thinking. 10.7 demo, iLife and iWork ’11, a new HW demo, and some other incidentals.
post #53 of 111
Quote:

I agree. Once I see the next Mac OS demo, then I can start extrapolating, because I'll have a better idea of the direction Apple is going. Snow Leopard was considered a foundation to build on. I would expect the next Mac OS release to be more user focused…but there are multiple directions Apple could emphasize in the next release. I have no doubt functionality will continue to be transferred between iOS and Mac OS X, but this merger talk makes no sense. These OSs are siblings with their own defined approaches to deal with the great range in hardware, and two types of user interaction.

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

Nullis in verba -- "on the word of no one"

post #54 of 111
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the mixed messages (11.6" vs. 13.3", compact SSD-like mass storage, etc.) indicate multiple models. Not just different-sized MacBook Airs, but a MacBook Air and a new unibody aluminum basic MacBook.

The new basic MacBook could get the 11.6" screen and start at $799. The new MacBook Air will presumably be thinner and lighter than the current one, thanks in part to the ultra-compact solid state mass storage. And it would stay at 13.3". Just a thought.

Very good point!
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #55 of 111
so... with all the macbook air hype, is there no chance that apple will redesign or buff up the macbook pros? i've been checking the buying guide on macrumors, and apparently the aluminum and the unibody mbp redesigns all happened on october every two years, and its been two years since the unibody redesign, is there any chance they will come up with a new mbp on october 20th?
post #56 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

so... with all the macbook air hype, is there no chance that apple will redesign or buff up the macbook pros? i've been checking the buying guide on macrumors, and apparently the aluminum and the unibody mbp redesigns all happened on october every two years, and its been two years since the unibody redesign, is there any chance they will come up with a new mbp on october 20th?

The aluminum unit that came out in 2006 was a totally new computer on the inside, but the outside was not changed that drastically. It still looked very much like the PowerBook G4. There's a chance they might modify the outside a bit, but don't count on too much.

There's a good possibility that Apple might update the MBP's, but a full redesign is still probably a few a years off.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

post #57 of 111
Quote:

The aluminum unit that came out in 2006 was a totally new computer on the inside, but the outside was not changed that drastically. It still looked very much like the PowerBook G4. There's a chance they might modify the outside a bit, but don't count on too much.

There's a good possibility that Apple might update the MBP's, but a full redesign is still probably a few a years off.

my question is though, is there anything out there(ex. processor) that apple has high chance of updating their MBPs to? or is it most likely that it will still stay at core i5 and i7? does intel have anything new to offer thats faster than core i5/i7 thats able to fit in a MBP?
post #58 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

There's only one thing I can see the MBA being better used for in my job and that's configuring switches via a console cable as currently there is no supported way of doing that on an iPad.

Too bad we can't use something like this Bluetooth Serial adapter.
http://www.gridconnect.com/bluetooth...ts&modal=false

I guess the only "supported" way would be for someone to develop a custom app that transmits serial over the dock connector. Hmm... hmm...

Oh wait, here it is:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...nector-design/
post #59 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

my question is though, is there anything out there(ex. processor) that apple has high chance of updating their MBPs to? or is it most likely that it will still stay at core i5 and i7? does intel have anything new to offer thats faster than core i5/i7 thats able to fit in a MBP?

It would still be i5/i7, just speed bumps for the processors.
MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

MBA 13" i7/4GB/256GB

post #60 of 111
They could always add a 4-pin FireWire400 port, if they wanted to. That would certainly be small enough to fit anywhere. The question is, whether they actually have the space for the extra circuitry on the mainboard to accomodate FW in the first place.
Matyoroy!
Matyoroy!
post #61 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-News View Post

They could always add a 4-pin FireWire400 port, if they wanted to. That would certainly be small enough to fit anywhere. The question is, whether they actually have the space for the extra circuitry on the mainboard to accomodate FW in the first place.

Apple has dropped all FW400 from their systems, so I cant see them adding FW400 without the power. Its 9-pin FW800+ or nothing at all. THe best we can hope for on that front is Apple making a new 9-[n connector that is smaller like they did with mDP, but I doubt that device like teh MBA needs it. It needs USB for iDevices, power and external monitor. Thats it.
post #62 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has dropped all FW400 from their systems, so I can’t see them adding FW400 without the power. It’s 9-pin FW800+ or nothing at all. THe best we can hope for on that front is Apple making a new 9-[n connector that is smaller like they did with mDP, but I doubt that device like teh MBA needs it. It needs USB for iDevices, power and external monitor. That’s it.

The iPhone/iPod/iPad connector is pretty flexible (serial, audio, video, USB, FireWire, etc).

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...nd_iPhone_dock

I have an iPod Video that can take either USB or FireWire to charge but only syncs with FW.

AIR, it works with everything you can connect to an iPod-- TV via Universal Dock, iPad HiFi, etc.

The actual thickness of the iPhone/iPod/iPad connector is half as thick as either a USB or FireWire Connector.

They could easily add a single connector to any thin device (like the MBA, then, if the specs permit, fan that out to multiple connectors ala the iPad CCK.

I know that with FW you can daisy-chain multiple devices and also run one Mac from another -- it seems that these would very desirable capabilities for something like the MBA (or iPad) with minimal onboard I/O.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #63 of 111
Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me.

That settles it. Apple should drop their plan for the Air immediately as it doesn't meet YOUR needs!
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
iMac 24" (Late 07), iMac 17" G5, Mac mini (Early 09), MacBook (Mid 07), iPad WiFi 32, iPhone 4, iBook G4 1.2, HP Compaq 610 Laptop, eMachine W5233, (1) Xserve G5 and (1) Xserve G5 Cluster node with...
post #64 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has dropped all FW400 from their systems, so I can’t see them adding FW400 without the power. It’s 9-pin FW800+ or nothing at all. THe best we can hope for on that front is Apple making a new 9-[n connector that is smaller like they did with mDP, but I doubt that device like teh MBA needs it. It needs USB for iDevices, power and external monitor. That’s it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have much left over, but decided that AAPL has been pretty good to me. I used that to rationalize buying the $190 app linked in my sig. Basically it is an app that lets people who can't speak, speak through their iPhone, Touch or iPad.

We have no need for this app, but we have acquaintances with special needs people. We put the app on all our iPhones and iPads (including 4 SIMless iPhones).

We plan to show this to anyone who will listen and already have friends setup to borrow the devices with the app.

For the record, we have no ties (financial or otherwise) with the company -- found about about it yesterday (article on slashdot) and bought the app -- that's it.

However, I truly believe in supporting companies that provide solutions like this.

- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #65 of 111
Quote:

Who is Apple pitching this product towards? It's underpowered, short on space and input devices. It's not for me. I like to crunch video, and audio with my computer. That's never going to happen with an underpowered thing like the Air. I have too many things that I want to connect to my computer, the Air loses again here. I'm usually doing several things at once. I'm still amazed that I don't have to use multifinder... I would never want to go back to a computer that needs to use multifinder.

I don't care to any reason you gave here. I just want a slim mac, easy to bring with me, fast to get on, and pleasant to edit documents (iworks one, intranet website, browse internet for documentation) in my work.

a mba is enough to read movies. you can really use xcode 4 on it (and of course to connect an external display) and a joy in casual writing and browsing.

I'm also glad macbook pro of flaming death are available for others people. the mbp is a great powerful computer.
post #66 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

"Hey, 13.3, you're lookin' fine today...."

Complement vs. compliment is elementary school vocabulary curriculum. Sad.

The MBP 13inch is staying in the line. The MBAir is the new baby in the lineup.
post #67 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungenio View Post

...on my part, but it seems as if we are looking from the top of the notebook, not the bottom, as it would be on an unibody desing... See the recess space to place your thumb and open the screen? Shouldn't be visible from bottom

Update: Oh, wait, I realize now, that's also the thinnest part of the notebook. The recess would be visible from bottom

what is the MBA good for then??
whats in a name ? 
beatles
whats in a name ? 
beatles
post #68 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I was really looking for a bit better specs. I like everything about this except the non-updated specs. The current air is somewhat slow in normal use.

For who? For someone with pro needs? Yes, slow and behind the times.

As an entry level MacBook? Perfect.

I think the key here is price. Apple wants this new small Air to replace the white MacBook, IMO. It may even be priced at $899. And while that won't work for most of us, who are looking to increase performance with our next Mac, there are still are large % of Mac buyers that are new to Mac, and having a great product to offer at entry level is key.
post #69 of 111
I think the MBA (13" and 11") would be great for writers and beat reporters, if the price is right. Beat reporters need something they can quickly toss into their satchel and run off to get that story. They don't need a lot of connections, or peripherals, just something they can jot notes and ideas down while they're in the field. Lugging a larger laptop around would be a hassle, I think (though many reporters currently do that). Another advantage the MBA has in this area is that it's all solid-state, which potentially makes it more durablealso important if you're a reporter chasing after a story.

And, if you're a writer, or a very disciplined English major, then you don't need a whole lot of memory or storage space or DVD drive, etc.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #70 of 111
Quote:

I could rip this post apart, but instead I'll just thank you for clarifying the difference between the MacBook Air and the MacBook Pro.

Thanks.
post #71 of 111
Apple did a much better "Job" of disguising the new 7' iPad from folks until it's announced

Skip
post #72 of 111
Quote:

Doubtless after Wednesday's announcement, this forum will be filled with complaints about how people's expectations were not fulfilled:

I was really hoping I could edit full 1080p on the 11" MBA!
Geez. What a let down. I was wanting to be able to work with my 4k RED video. Come on Apple!
Where's the SQUID interface??? (this will be my complaint! )

All sarcasm aside, I think the whole "Back to the Mac" theme simply means that this past year has been pretty heavily focused on i-devices: iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS. So, on Wednesday, they're gonna remind us that they've been working hard behind the scenes in the Mac OS arena, and are ready to show us what they've done.
post #73 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

Doubtless after Wednesday's announcement, this forum will be filled with complaints about how people's expectations were not fulfilled:

I was really hoping I could edit full 1080p on the 11" MBA!
Geez. What a let down. I was wanting to be able to work with my 4k RED video. Come on Apple!
Where's the SQUID interface??? (this will be my complaint! )

All sarcasm aside, I think the whole "Back to the Mac" theme simply means that this past year has been pretty heavily focused on i-devices: iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS. So, on Wednesday, they're gonna remind us that they've been working hard behind the scenes in the Mac OS arena, and are ready to show us what they've done.

Nice movie reference.
post #74 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Which Mini?
post #75 of 111
Being as the official announcement is mere days away, it makes sense to wait for that to figure out what Apple is up to.

What's noteworthy, though, is that certainly it's clear that the iPad is nowhere close to replacing existing products. As such, there will be attention given to products like the Air and all of Apple's other machines. As noted above, the iPad has its advantages but if you're headed abroad and you need something to work with away from home, the iPad simply doesn't get it done. For example, two years ago I was shooting HD video with a hybrid camera that needs 8GB for a mere 20 minutes of video. I bought a netbook instead of still more SD cards because it was cost effective. The iPad, with its small storage capacity, would not be an alternative.

Maybe in three or four years, the iPad will evolve into a proper laptop substitute but right now, it's not even close.
post #76 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Being as the official announcement is mere days away, it makes sense to wait for that to figure out what Apple is up to.

What's noteworthy, though, is that certainly it's clear that the iPad is nowhere close to replacing existing products. As such, there will be attention given to products like the Air and all of Apple's other machines. As noted above, the iPad has its advantages but if you're headed abroad and you need something to work with away from home, the iPad simply doesn't get it done. For example, two years ago I was shooting HD video with a hybrid camera that needs 8GB for a mere 20 minutes of video. I bought a netbook instead of still more SD cards because it was cost effective. The iPad, with its small storage capacity, would not be an alternative.

Maybe in three or four years, the iPad will evolve into a proper laptop substitute but right now, it's not even close.

I dont disagree with your decision or that the iPad was not designed with that advanced purpose in mind, but dont have they external HDDs that allow you to offload data from SD cards?
post #77 of 111
Quote:

Thank God not you.

Sounds like you also get pissed off at bicyclists.

Do you really think that anybody really cares would you like to do?
post #78 of 111
Quote:

It would still be i5/i7, just speed bumps for the processors.

I agree. Looking on wikipedia, the i5 560m and 580m are out as well as the i7 640m as of Sept 26th. This would mean approximate 133MHz speed bumps across the MBP line, replacing the 520M, 540M and 620M respectively.

However, no idea if the info on wikipedia is accurate or not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ile_processors

Perhaps the MBA will have an i7 660LM in it? http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49654
post #79 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I agree. Looking on wikipedia, the i5 560m and 580m are out as well as the i7 640m as of Sept 26th. This would mean approximate 133MHz speed bumps across the MBP line, replacing the 520M, 540M and 620M respectively.

However, no idea if the info on wikipedia is accurate or not:

Perhaps the MBA will have an i7 660LM in it? http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49654

Why do you think Apple would jump from using 17W chips to 35W chips? Why not the CULVs like tey currently use? How will they tackle the DMI issue, by sticking with Intel HD IGP or using a dGPU?
post #80 of 111
It will also be the first Mac to come with built in 3G.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs