* reseting the PMU
* a different battery (also running coconutbattery app)
* quick Apple hardware test - everything passed
Here's my thoughts (I'd welcome yours);
Prior to the install I was confused by the thermal paste areas, I ended up cleaning and applying arctic silver 5 paste to the cpu, the power management unit and the gpu and I wonder if the application of paste to the PMU was appropriate?
It could be a bad connection - I'll open it up later and check the cables are properly seated.
It's definately not the adaptor or the batteries - I have two of both which I have tried and I know they are fine.
ps; could be nothing but I'm noticing a little bit of what feels like static on the top case