or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's new MacBook Air has 8-10hr battery, upgradeable RAM - rumor

Apple's new MacBook Air has 8-10hr battery, upgradeable RAM - rumor

post #1 of 60
New alleged details of Apple's anticipated MacBook Air refresh have surfaced, with a report claiming the thin-and-light notebook will offer 8 to 10 hours of battery life, as well as upgradeable RAM.

Citing an anonymous source, Cult of Mac reported Monday that the base model will sport 2GB of RAM, but that number can be upgraded. The current MacBook Air does not offer the option to upgrade RAM.

The source also indicated that the notebook will be smaller, but will still offer a battery 50 percent larger. This will increase operating time on battery to between 8 and 10 hours, up from the current model's 5-hour battery life.

The report also corroborated details reported Saturday by AppleInsider that the new MacBook Air will be offered in two sizes: an 11.6-inch screen, and a 13.3-inch display. The source also indicated that the 13-inch model could be priced as low as $1,100, while the 11-inch model could be just $999.

Contradicting the claim of upgradeable RAM is a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard.

The report also indicate that the solid state drive on the device will be upgradeable. Sources have told AppleInsider that the new device will feature an "SSD Card" that lacks a traditional drive enclosure, and will instead more closely resemble NAND flash. However, it was said the storage will not be easily user replaceable and will be based off of an SATA connection.

Cult of Mac also reported that the new MacBook Air could come in two different configurations: a 2.1GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz processor with 4GB of RAM. It also said that the notebook will sport Nvidia GeForce 320M integrated graphics, a GPU first introduced this April in the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

The report also included a mockup of the device, which is said to be "thinner, lighter and boxier than the current model," according to author Leander Kahney.

Other details from the site's source:
The quick boot time on the new MacBook Air is said to be "unbelievable" and "amazing."
The new model has an aluminum unibody design, but is "not as curvy" as the current model. The source indicated it is "boxier" like the iPhone 4.
For inputs, the source indicated the device has two USB ports, an SD card slot on the right side, and a Mini DisplayPort adapter on the left side.
Apple's Back to the Mac event will be held this Wednesday at 10 a.m. Pacific Time, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage. For more, see earlier reports:
Sources: Apple to unveil revamped 11.6-inch MacBook Air next week
More details surface on Apple's next-generation MacBook Airs
post #2 of 60
Overall I think this will be an exciting new take on the Air !

Cannot wait for Wednesday
post #3 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New alleged details of Apple's anticipated MacBook Air ...

That mockup looks more like fantasy than reality. According to the rumours it *doesn't* have the black glass bezel but instead has the same bezel as the original Air, and according to the picture from yesterday it has a curved bottom like the old one too.
post #4 of 60
What a piece o'work are those AppleOutsider's editors!

Quote:

However, it was said the storage will not be easily user replaceable and will be based off of an SATA connection.

Washington State University:-
``Similarly, you can build something off of a starting point, but you can’t base anything off of anything. Something is always based on something else.' '

Quote:

...and will instead more closely resemble a stick of RAM

ressemble Ã*

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

We mean Apple no harm.

People are lovers, basically. -- Engadget livebloggers at the iPad mini event.

post #5 of 60
Quote:

Citing an anonymous source, Cult of Mac reported Monday that the base model will sport 2GB of RAM, but that number can be upgraded. The current MacBook Air does not offer the option to upgrade RAM.

[...]

However, the report also indicates that the solid state drive on the device will be upgradeable. This contradicts with a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard.

Sources have told AppleInsider that the new device will feature an "SSD Card that lacks a traditional drive enclosure, and will instead more closely resemble a stick of RAM. However, it was said the storage will not be easily user replaceable and will be based off of an SATA connection.

Cult of Mac also reported that the new MacBook Air could come in two different configurations: a 2.1GHz processor with 2GB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz processor with 4GB of RAM.

Has AI mixed up RAM and NAND in the article? From the presumed prototype MoBo this new MBA will have non-upgradable RAM.

Also, is there a reason why a proprietary SATA connection would be used over a proprietary mini-PCIe connection for storage.

Quote:
For inputs, the source indicated the device has two USB ports, an SD card slot on the right side, and a Mini DisplayPort adapter on the left side.

From the presumed image it looks like the SD card and mDP are both on the right side, along with one USB port, with the left side containing the MagSafe, USB and what I assume is a 3.5mm audio in/out jack under come circuitry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That mockup looks more like fantasy than reality. According to the rumours it *doesn't* have the black glass bezel but instead has the same bezel as the original Air, and according to the picture from yesterday it has a curved bottom like the old one too.

That is how I would expect it, though I'd personally be more interested in more battery.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #6 of 60
Quote:

Much as I love the look the trackpad area of the machine as depicted looks impossibly thin. Even thinner than the normal alu keyboard. Can't wait to see what'll be.
post #7 of 60
The mock up look fugly. I intensely dislike the glassy screen.
post #8 of 60
10 hour battery? Wow.. Hopefully the next MacBook Pros have 12+ hours!
post #9 of 60
"This contradicts with a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard."

The SSD in the prototype was removable, it plugged into a tiny socket (of which there are two on the motherboard, suggesting a mini-PCIe connector).

The RAM in the prototype was soldered on however, so maybe the comment was misplaced in the article.

I could see that Apple could have made that RAM removable (SODIMM) in the months since that prototype was built, so I wouldn't hold too much faith in the prototype resembling the new design.

Why only 2GB RAM? Probably to hit a price point of $999. I guess:

11.6" MacBook Air: 1280x800 display, 8 hours battery, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD - $999 ($1099 4GB, $1199 128GB)
13.3" MacBook Air: 1440x900 display, 10 hours battery, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD - $1299

Whither the MacBook non-Pro? Maybe a price reduction to $899, or total eradication.
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

The mock up look fugly. I intensely dislike the glassy screen.

Really? The glass screens look great.. The bottom is fugly however..
post #11 of 60
The rumors keep getting closer and closer to what I would like to see. 4GB, 2.4GHZ, 320mNvidea, 10hour battery, 128Gb hd, 12inch form factor, under 1200$ Is this really a possibility?

add on a contract free data plan and you will have me poop my pants for joy.
post #12 of 60
Gosh, I wonder if that will be like the newer MacBook Pro's, with the 8-9 hours...that last about 2-3?
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Whither the MacBook non-Pro? Maybe a price reduction to $899, or total eradication.

Right now, there is too much overlap between the 13 MacBook Pro and the white MacBook. The Pro is a better value, unless you are fascinated by the scratchy white plastic. I think Apple will discontinue the white MacBook and replace it with a $999 aluminum unibody MacBook without the optical drive. Thinner, lighter, with built-in flash storage (say 64GB) that will have the OS and key programs. Data to be stored on a removable hard drive. 2GB RAM upgradeable to 4GB (if one slot) or 8GB (if two slots). No firewire. No IPS screen. Maybe called Air, maybe not. 13" screen and 11.6" screen as the current rumors seems to predict.
post #14 of 60
Quote:

"This contradicts with a recent photo of a purported prototype of the new notebook, which showed the device with memory soldered on to the motherboard."

The SSD in the prototype was removable, it plugged into a tiny socket (of which there are two on the motherboard, suggesting a mini-PCIe connector).

The RAM in the prototype was soldered on however, so maybe the comment was misplaced in the article.

I could see that Apple could have made that RAM removable (SODIMM) in the months since that prototype was built, so I wouldn't hold too much faith in the prototype resembling the new design.

Why only 2GB RAM? Probably to hit a price point of $999. I guess:

11.6" MacBook Air: 1280x800 display, 8 hours battery, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD - $999 ($1099 4GB, $1199 128GB)
13.3" MacBook Air: 1440x900 display, 10 hours battery, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD - $1299

All this sounds very reasonable to me.
post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Gosh, I wonder if that will be like the newer MacBook Pro's, with the 8-9 hours...that last about 2-3?

iStat menu shows flash increasing my temperature by 50 degrees, and dropping my battery life significantly. Perhaps you should try eliminating flash from your mobile needs?

I think it would be great if the new lineup included USB 3.0? Anyone think this is a possibility?
post #16 of 60
Is there any more evidence that the event on Wednesday will also include a MacBook Pro update?
post #17 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdive View Post

Is there any more evidence that the event on Wednesday will also include a MacBook Pro update?

i would really hope the 13" mbp have a processor upgrade. core 2 duo still? gotta get rid of that!

and whats up with the imac using the cheaper dual channel i7? you pay a lot for those things they should at least have the better hardware....
post #18 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdive View Post

Don't think so. If memory serves, the MBPs were bumped up a few months ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
"Don't be a dick!"Wil Wheaton
post #19 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Get it replaced; it's clearly defective.
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

i would really hope the 13" mbp have a processor upgrade. core 2 duo still? gotta get rid of that!

Couldn't agree more- my bet would be (when they next get updated) an i3 White MacBook and either an i3 or i5 13-inch MacBook Pro.
post #21 of 60
I think that the 11.6 could cannibalize (yeah, that's the right word) iPad sales.
post #22 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that the 11.6 could cannibalize (yeah, that's the right word) iPad sales.

I'm sure Apple would be happy to sell a more expensive device at the expense of a lesser one (but I think they still have different target demographics).
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
The key to enjoying these forums: User CP -> Edit Ignore List
post #23 of 60
It would be pretty amazing to get so much battery life is something so thin. Kind of hard to believe. The iPad can do it, but then it is using an ARM cpu. It there some kind of lower power AMD cpu they could be using?
post #24 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I'm sure Apple would be happy to sell a more expensive device at the expense of a lesser one (but I think they still have different target demographics).

Not necessarily. It depends on the margins.
post #25 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Also, is there a reason why a proprietary SATA connection would be used over a proprietary mini-PCIe connection for storage.

Size maybe?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

Which of us is the fisherman and which the trout?

post #26 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It would be pretty amazing to get so much battery life is something so thin. Kind of hard to believe. The iPad can do it, but then it is using an ARM cpu. It there some kind of lower power AMD cpu they could be using?

I think it's the same technology in all devices. Remember that recent MacBook Pros also have 10 hour batteries now.

What people forget is that the iPad has a ton of empty space inside. The iPad battery could be even bigger, but they left it reasonably small so as to keep it light.
post #27 of 60
sorry...
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
post #28 of 60
Quote:

I think it's the same technology in all devices. Remember that recent MacBook Pros also have 10 hour batteries now.

Yep, I have one and was aware the MBP has that kind of battery life. Just not sure the Air has enough room. But we'll see.

With all the mystery surrounding the CPU, and this battery life figure, I am thinking there is something going on there. What about Intel Atom - that is an x64 chip. But is it grunty enough to run OS X apps?
post #29 of 60
Intel's chipsets are the real bag of hurt for Apple. Intel isn't natively supporting USB3 until next year at the earliest, maybe even 2012! And Intel won't allow integrated graphics from anyone with their Core iX series chips except their own less attractive offerings. These two things, I believe, make it incredibly hard for Apple to make the computers they want to release.

Do you want great processors and crap graphics? Or do you want cheaper older processors and much better graphics? It's a compromise Intel forced on the industry. Same with USB3 vs. LightPeak.

Unless Apple figures out how to build a 13" with a Core iX and dedicated GPU with a cool thermal threshold and low PPW, Core iX isn't going to happen.
post #30 of 60
Quote:

...The quick boot time on the new MacBook Air is said to be "unbelievable" and "amazing."

But will it be magical? Hell if I'm buyin somethin that ain't.
post #31 of 60
Quote:

Looks good except 13.3" MacBook Air will maintain 1280x800 display, MacBook will remain, possible price drop.

Mah 2 centz
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

But will it be magical?

Probably snappier.
post #33 of 60
Quote:

What people forget is that the iPad has a ton of empty space inside. The iPad battery could be even bigger, but they left it reasonably small so as to keep it light.

1) The MB and MBPs have a lot more space for batteries compared to the power used by the components.

2) The iPad uses many low power components and its still only 10 hours of video with the battery being as large as it is.

3) The only way I can see that mockup being 10 hours of more on video playback is if they used one of those 10W Core-i7s in the next MBA, but then you have other issues.
post #34 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Intel's chipsets are the real bag of hurt for Apple. Intel isn't natively supporting USB3 until next year at the earliest, maybe even 2012! And Intel won't allow integrated graphics from anyone with their Core iX series chips except their own less attractive offerings. These two things, I believe, make it incredibly hard for Apple to make the computers they want to release.

Do you want great processors and crap graphics? Or do you want cheaper older processors and much better graphics? It's a compromise Intel forced on the industry. Same with USB3 vs. LightPeak.

Unless Apple figures out how to build a 13" with a Core iX and dedicated GPU with a cool thermal threshold and low PPW, Core iX isn't going to happen.

I totally agree. Apple pretty much has to use something else than Core iX CPUs for an ultraportable, there is no other option, really.
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

I totally agree. Apple pretty much has to use something else than Core iX CPUs for an ultraportable, there is no other option, really.

unless they have some deal to get a low wattage ix that no one has heard of yet (didn't they do that with the core 2 when the air came out?) they would have to switch gears to something like AMD fusion or they will just come out with a core 2 with a little more oomph. probably the later.
post #36 of 60
'The source indicated it is "boxier" like the iPhone 4.'

The current wedge design isn't an efficient shape, in terms of volume vs. footprint. Apple could make the new MBA more like a thin MBP by getting rid of the taper. That would allow them to reduce the thickness at the hinge. Of course, this assumes that Ive went for overall slimness instead of slimness at the "leading edge" like they did with the current generation.

Steve could do the same old manila envelope reveal. But this time he could pull both the 11.6" and 13.3" models out of the envelope! Or maybe he could first pull out the 13.3" model, talk about it, an d say "Oh, and there's one more thing..." put the 13.3" back in the envelope, and take the 11.6" model out. That would be impressive.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

unless they have some deal to get a low wattage ix that no one has heard of yet (didn't they do that with the core 2 when the air came out?) they would have to switch gears to something like AMD fusion or they will just come out with a core 2 with a little more oomph. probably the later.

Even if they did, they would have to use some sort of dedicated graphics solution which consumes power and space while generating more heat. Plus, it's probably a bit of a performance overkill for an ultraportable...
post #38 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Get it replaced; it's clearly defective.

Don't bother asking him. He doesn't have one and is just trolling.
post #39 of 60
curious - are you speaking from experience? or just from the literature?
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Don't bother asking him. He doesn't have one and is just trolling.

yes, abster2core, I do have one, and that is my experience with it. and yes, I keep brightness down, airport off when not in use and I'm not the biggest graphics or streaming user...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's new MacBook Air has 8-10hr battery, upgradeable RAM - rumor