or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Steve Jobs squashes rumors of smaller, 7-inch iPad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs squashes rumors of smaller, 7-inch iPad

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Monday took pause during his company's fourth quarter conference call to extinguish rumors that the company is working on a smaller iPad based around a 7-inch screen.

"The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software," Jobs said on Monday's quarterly earnings conference call.Â*"As a software driven company we think about the software strategies first."

"We know developers aren't going to deal well with these different sizes and they have to change their software every time the screen size changes," he added. "When we make decisions on 7-inch tablets it's not about cost, it's about the value of the product when you factor in the software."

You see what I'm getting at?," Jobs continued. "So we're all about making the best products at aggressive prices and that's what we do, and that's what we will do with the iPad and iPod."

Asked by an analyst how he would respond -- and whether Apple would lose share -- if the market suddenly moves to a lower price point with fewer features, Jobs said "You're looking at it wrong, [Â] looking at it as a hardware manufacturer who doesn't know much about software who assumes the software will take care of itself."

"Hm, how can we make this cheaper? Â*Well let's put a smaller screen, slower processor, less memory, and you just assume the software will somehow come alive on this product but it won't," Jobs quipped. "Developers have taken advantage of faster processors and bigger screens to make better apps for customers."Â*

"It's a hard one," the Apple co-found said of such a strategy, "because it throws you in the chicken-and-egg question to change assumptions on developers."Â*Most developers won't follow that lead, he suggest. Instead, they're more likely to say, "Sorry, I'm not going to write a watered down version of my app just because you can sell this version of your phone for $50 less."

Rumors of a 7-inch iPad have come from numerous publications, but were first dispersed by Taiwan's DigiTimes. In addition, other reports, largely from the Far East, have alleged that Apple is working on a smaller version of the iPad.

Those reports suggested that the current iPad is too heavy for users, and that a smaller form factor and lighter weight would be more ideal for reading.

Jobs' comments on Monday come as a number of competitors are embracing the 7-inch form factor with their own touchscreen tablets. Samsung's Galaxy Tab is set to launch this year with all four major U.S. wireless carriers, while BlackBerry plans to release its own PlayBook in early 2011.

Earlier this month, it was suggested that Apple developed a 7-inch iPad alongside the current model, but eventually opted just to release the current 9.7-inch model. Jobs' comments Monday would support that rumor, as the CEO noted that his company has done extensive research on touchscreen interfaces and what works best for users.

"We really understand this stuff," Jobs said.
post #2 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs on Monday took pause during his company's fourth quarter conference call to extinguish rumors that the company is working on a smaller iPad based around a 7-inch screen...

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he says. He's either lying or just justifying a position he's already held for some other reason.
post #3 of 67
He does make sense...but I would have bought both the current size and a 7" for traveling!

If Apple builds it I will buy it!

In a perfect world where money was no object, I would have the top of the line 27" iMac...the new MBA, an iPad 3Gs and my iPhone 4....some overlap to be sure...but, I want the best tool at hand for the specific job at hand! Am I wrong?

Best
post #4 of 67
Apple will not make a 7" iPad













until a 300+ DPI 7" retina display is available for the new 7" Apple iPad!
post #5 of 67
Nice way to kill this rumor that's been going on for a few months now.
post #6 of 67
I appreciate his candor on this rumor. I look forward to the 2nd gen iPad because I'll be in the market for it then. Now I just need a strong shot of patience
post #7 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he say.

- No they can't
- No there aren't
- No they wouldn't

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #8 of 67
However, a larger iPad is not ruled out.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #9 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

- No they can't
- No there aren't
- No they wouldn't

Agreed.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #10 of 67
I'm glad he squashed this rumor. I thought it was a horrible idea.

Apple doesn't usually copy others... but most everyone copies Apple. Even if he seems overly defiant it may be because that's one of his core beliefs. Innovate, don't copy.
post #11 of 67
If there's money to be made developers will do anything.
Nobody has suggested that a smaller tablet should be slower or contain less memory.

It's not about price, it's about size. The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big.

Some day I believe Apple will realize that.
post #12 of 67
Wonderful.

Except now all the whiners are going to come out and say, "But Steve said the same thing about the iPhone, the iPod video, etc., so he must be lying. 7" iPad is imminent!".

Morons.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #13 of 67
Well, I think that puts the 7" tablet rumor to rest. I would have tried it out with interest but would probably go for the 9.7" iPad 2 anyway. I'm waiting for the second one. Would have bought the iPad but my budget this year only allowed for the new iMac, a few iPods and the Apple TV for the family.
post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

- No they can't
- No there aren't
- No they wouldn't

How childish.

I know you are but what am I?
post #15 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's not about price, it's about size. The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big.

Some day I believe Apple will realize that.

Yes, Someday next year, after Apple sells it's 25 millionth iPad (in less than one year from actual production release), they will start to see the light.

......for sure !!
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If there's money to be made developers will do anything.
Nobody has suggested that a smaller tablet should be slower or contain less memory.

It's not about price, it's about size. The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big.

Some day I believe Apple will realize that.

Yeah... they're total idiots in Cupertino.
BTW, how many billions did you rake in last quarter?
Thought so.
post #17 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

How childish.

I know you are but what am I?

Your argument has absolutely no factual basis and is laughable to be considered true.

Better? Because that's what he said.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

How childish.

I know you are but what am I?

I am using an iPhone and iPad daily and I agree with his (childish?) assessment of your (childish?) comments, but generalizations they are, both. I couldn't imagine editing in Pages, Numbers or Keynote on a 7" iPad. I don't have elven hands (never had) and eagle eyes (anymore).

The iPhone works for many things (as a crutch), but the iPad actually allows me to leave my Macbook at home more and more often (and access my Windows PC remotely when I need to access our work servers for files on the road). A 7 inch iPad would be lighter, but the screen would be too small for my taste and the battery life would be worse. The iPad is not too heavy for me.

YMMV, but I agree with Steve Jobs on this (and the R&D Apple has conducted, probably including a 7 inch screen ).
post #19 of 67
As usual, Steve Jobs is 100% right and anybody who disagrees with him is 100% wrong.

Everybody else is blatant liars & manipulators, whereas Steve Jobs is the ONLY CEO IN AMERICA who plays it completely straight & honest with the world.
post #20 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

As usual, Steve Jobs is 100% right and anybody who disagrees with him is 100% wrong.

Everybody else is blatant liars & manipulators, whereas Steve Jobs is the ONLY CEO IN AMERICA who plays it completely straight & honest with the world.

um... NO-ONE can be ALWAYS right, honest, etc.

Steve Jobs is probably right 95%+ of the time, but deffinetly not always, i do agree that 7' is way to small, but, the current ipad is larger (diagonally) than some netbooks... it is a great product though.

i personally would like on that is slightly smaller, like 8.5 inches or something like that.

but Steve Jobs is right when it comes to mass consumer products, over 99% if the time, i must remember (and a lot of other people should remember to) that: i am not the majority

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply

PC means personal computer.  

i have processing issues, mostly trying to get my ideas into speech and text.

if i say something confusing please tell me!

Reply
post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he says. He's either lying or just justifying a position he's already held for some other reason.

I thoroughly disagree, with a chuckle, about typing faster on an iPhone compared to an iPad. I can easily type 40-50 wpm on an iPad and about 10-20 on an iPhone.
post #22 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

As usual, Steve Jobs is 100% right and anybody who disagrees with him is 100% wrong.

Everybody else is blatant liars & manipulators, whereas Steve Jobs is the ONLY CEO IN AMERICA who plays it completely straight & honest with the world.

I'm glad that's obvious to you. His company's numbers this quarter don't lie.
post #23 of 67
Of course everything can change as soon as the new ARM chips and new batteries are available for them to use. (plus he had his fingers crossed behind his back)
post #24 of 67
well this news is good for the other tablet makers.
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
What I got... 15" i7 w/8 gigs ram,iPad2 64gig wifi, 2.0 mac mini, 2.0 17" imac, appleTv, Still running my old G4 466 upgraded to 1.2GHz maxed ram as a pro tools machine, and 2 iphones.
Reply
post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His argument makes no sense.

Well, your statement makes no sense really since evidence supports the argument Steve made. You are free to disagree, but the argument Jobs put forth does make some sense. It's not like Apple is flying blind here ... they have sold nearly 5 million iPads. They listen to customers, review feedback, etc. ... and they look at the market and talk to developers.
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

His argument makes no sense. Users can type faster on a small iPhone keyboard than on the iPad. There are many productivity apps for the iPhone that are both easier to use and have more features than those on the iPad. Pages, and numbers would both work just fine on a 7" screen and there wouldn't be any problem with the buttons as he says. He's either lying or just justifying a position he's already held for some other reason.

did you actually think before writing that dribble?

The iPad is much faster to type on especially in landscape mode. Waaaay faster. I'm typing at almost normal keyboard speeds except for when I have to use numbers.

10 inches is much easier to read documents, surf the web, play games, etc. I love the iPad and think it's the perfect size to do what I NEED to do.
post #27 of 67
it'll be interesting to see how the consumer market responds to 7" tables in the next eighteen months. we'll then have a better understanding of consumer desire.
post #28 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

- No they can't
- No there aren't
- No they wouldn't

We don't know Prof. Peabody's physical proportions so none of us can truly assess the validity of his assertions. :-)
post #29 of 67
I just sketched out the Galaxy tab and iPad in CAD and sure enough, he was right. It makes the iPad seem twice as big. When it comes to touchscreens, you'd assume that the bigger the screen the better.

But when you look at them on a mobile platform, you need to consider portability, and anything larger than ~5" becomes severely less portable, especially less pocketable.

But the iPad isn't trying to be your phone. Then again, I hardly use my phone to call anyone (my 5K of texts took that over).

The Galaxy Tab and the PlayBook aren't the "goldilocks" of portable tablets. They're the "too small" IMO. I personally think the iPad is slightly too big - maybe its just the aspect ratio. I'm not calling for 16:9/16:10, but the near 4:3 doesn't cut it for me. I say make it the same as the iPhone, that way apps scale better (one of his points about different screen sizes). I know it's close, but its not quite there.

Keep the near 10", or maybe 9". that way its bigger, but within a certain range. Make the 7" the new 3.5" and the 9" the new 4".

(which, btw, I want a larger screen on my iPhone LOL)
post #30 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

it'll be interesting to see how the consumer market responds to 7" tables in the next eighteen months. we'll then have a better understanding of consumer desire.

Let's take the diagonals of a similar item, books:

Paperback, 7 7/8" (The Stone War by Madeleine Robins [know the author])
Trade Paperback, 9 7/8" (The Number by Lee Eisenberg)
Hardcover, 11 1/8" (Start Where You Are by Chris Gardner [The Pursuit of Happyness guy])

[Of course I recommend all three... ]

The hardcover comes out first, and is very durable, but weighs quite a bit.

The Paperback is smaller, but so is the print and they're cheaply made.

The Trade Paperback is usually well made and not particularly heavy. Easy enough to read.

Granted, the Paperback sells the most, but *is* hard to read. The iPad, oddly enough, is the size of the Trade Paperback. Hmm...
post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

I just sketched out the Galaxy tab and iPad in CAD and sure enough, he was right. It makes the iPad seem twice as big. When it comes to touchscreens, you'd assume that the bigger the screen the better.

But when you look at them on a mobile platform, you need to consider portability, and anything larger than ~5" becomes severely less portable, especially less pocketable.

But the iPad isn't trying to be your phone. Then again, I hardly use my phone to call anyone (my 5K of texts took that over).

The Galaxy Tab and the PlayBook aren't the "goldilocks" of portable tablets. They're the "too small" IMO. I personally think the iPad is slightly too big - maybe its just the aspect ratio. I'm not calling for 16:9/16:10, but the near 4:3 doesn't cut it for me. I say make it the same as the iPhone, that way apps scale better (one of his points about different screen sizes). I know it's close, but its not quite there.

Keep the near 10", or maybe 9". that way its bigger, but within a certain range. Make the 7" the new 3.5" and the 9" the new 4".

(which, btw, I want a larger screen on my iPhone LOL)

You make very valid points, Tazinlwfl...I would like to see the iphone have a screen with no edge top or bottom. I may be dreaming here but, oh well. I like Stevo's point that if you want to make an Android based app you have to test it on a hundred phones. Hearkens back to making a website and having to "test" it on 5 different iterations of IE. He's right, it's all about integration not wiz bang little differences.

I think HP has cottoned onto this, else they wouldn't have bought Palm solely for the WebOS. But in doing so they are now well behind. As is Blackberry. In business, "if you aint growing, you're dying!" Especially, in Tech!
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by axual View Post

They listen to customers, review feedback, etc. ... and they look at the market and talk to developers.

Not true if you believe the profile of Jobs on Bloomberg this week. Those in a position to know said that Apple (Steve) never uses focus groups or listens to customers--"because they are knuckleheads." Steve is a visionary who knows what they want before they do.

This propensity can be maddening at times, but you know what? It works.

Political sidelight--ignore if you disagree: I wish Obama would be more like Steve--forget trying to please people who hate you anyway. Working with the opposition (bipartisanship) never works for you. Just do it. Singularity of vision and action yields change, not compromise.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #33 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

If there's money to be made developers will do anything.
Nobody has suggested that a smaller tablet should be slower or contain less memory.

It's not about price, it's about size. The iPhone is too small, the iPad is too big.

Some day I believe Apple will realize that.

No the iPad is not too big. It is the perfect size for many. Of course you can't stuff it into your pocket.
post #34 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

But when you look at them on a mobile platform, you need to consider portability, and anything larger than ~5" becomes severely less portable, especially less pocketable.

Aren't laptops portable? Why is something that is smaller than a laptop suddenly less portable? The iPad has more in common with laptops than phones, so why knock its non-pocketability?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #35 of 67
"We really understand this stuff," Jobs said.

And according to Apple:

- Users don't need Firewire on their laptops.

- Users don't want buttons on their iPod shuffle.

Just saying that even Apple occasionally mis-judges the market and what users need/want. And it wouldn't be the first time Jobs says something to dismiss something and then Apple does exactly that shortly thereafter.

If you are going to have only one size iPad, the current version is probably the best compromise. I just think a lot of people will choose the competition's 7" tablets, not because they are better, but because they are smaller.
post #36 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

"We really understand this stuff," Jobs said.

And according to Apple:

- Users don't need Firewire on their laptops.

- Users don't want buttons on their iPod shuffle.

Just saying that even Apple occasionally mis-judges the market and what users need/want. And it wouldn't be the first time Jobs says something to dismiss something and then Apple does exactly that shortly thereafter.

If you are going to have only one size iPad, the current version is probably the best compromise. I just think a lot of people will choose the competition's 7" tablets, not because they are better, but because they are smaller.

With all due respect...Overall, I think Apple gets more things right than wrong!

Best

PS. My Mother used to say, "Eventually, everything will be 'perfect,' the grass will be cut a 1/4 inch, twice a week, above your grave. Perfect!"
post #37 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Not true if you believe the profile of Jobs on Bloomberg this week. Those in a position to know said that Apple (Steve) never uses focus groups or listens to customers--"because they are knuckleheads." Steve is a visionary who knows what they want before they do.

This propensity can be maddening at times, but you know what? It works.

Political sidelight--ignore if you disagree: I wish Obama would be more like Steve--forget trying to please people who hate you anyway. Working with the opposition (bipartisanship) never works for you. Just do it. Singularity of vision and action yields change, not compromise.

Yeah but you're talking about a profile of Steve Jobs that has Robert X Cringley in it. Hardly what I'd call a great portrayal.
post #38 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

well this news is good for the other tablet makers.

yeah, going out to buy that $1k Samsung 7" right away... not.
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #39 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Aren't laptops portable? Why is something that is smaller than a laptop suddenly less portable? The iPad has more in common with laptops than phones, so why knock its non-pocketability?

There is a balance of portability and functionality that is hard to master, and size is a huge issue. You're right, laptops are portable, but their portability is sacrificed the larger they become. However, as you go smaller, the functionality tends to go. That's why so many 13" or smaller (netbooks) have reduced functionality to promote portability. But how small is too small? How crappy are 7" netbooks? How crappy are 10" netbooks? Generally, the bigger they are, the better they perform, the easier they are to use, and with both of those makes you more productive. I say a similar slide scale goes for tablets (including smartphones).
  • iPhone size devices (3.5") - Highly portable.
  • Droid Inredible / HTC EVO 4G sized devices (4.3-4.5") - slightly less portable, larger screen & thicker body (could) mean slightly more function (camera, battery, etc).
  • Dell Streak (5") - Portable less so, and without a significant change in OS, functionality is nuetral.
  • BB PlayBook / Galaxy Tab (7") - even less portable than a smartphone (arguably unable to compete with smartphone on this level), but functionality improves due to OS enhancements, better hardware, larger screen, etc.
  • iPad (9.7") - Less portable than Playbook/Tab, significantly less portable than iPhone, but functionality greatly improved due to size and hardware. More storage, larger screen, etc. Significantly lighter than Small Laptop with comparable battery life (or more) and OS support (apps/programs).
  • Medium/Large tablet (11-12") - too heavy and large to be considered for long term usage (reading books, playing games, etc), typically considered a laptop sans keyboard with full OS and similar hardware.
  • Small laptop (12"-13") - Less portable than iPad due to formfactor and size, however due to convention more portable than M/L Tablet. More functionality than iPad due to OS and hardware.
etc...

iPad isn't quite in the middle either. Like I said, make the iPad a 9" wide(r)screen, and I think it will be perfect.

You have to consider perspective. A laptop is more portable than my desktop, but my desktop is significantly more portable than my Server. A Streak will fit into your pocket better than a Galaxy Tab, and a Galaxy Tab will fit into you pocket better than an iPad (though both may not fit at all). But, then you consider which is better to use for what it's designed for. The iPad has nearly twice as much screen real-estate than a Galaxy Tab. That means you could have a keyboard the size of the Galaxy Tab on screen, and have nearly the same amount of screen space left to see what you're typing. That means the keys are larger, which could mean its easier to type. Beyond a soft keyboard - the UI could be more intricate, or the user could have more control and accuracy in the app. This makes them more productive, which makes up for the larger size. And remember, it's still more portable than the next major step up (a small laptop).

With the smaller size (7"), you lose that real estate, so the UI intricacy is sacrificed, which takes away from the functionality. With a less intricate UI, the functionality difference between that and your smartphone (3.5-4.5") becomes harder to determine, and the point gets lost. Because you'll probably only do moderately better on a 7" compared to a 4". Jobs was making a point that you probably already have a smart phone, and you want to justify the cost and sacrifice in portability with some increased functionality (thus making the device more practical)...

*I said function[ality] 11 times...
post #40 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

With all due respect...Overall, I think Apple gets more things right than wrong!

Best

PS. My Mother used to say, "Eventually, everything will be 'perfect,' the grass will be cut a 1/4 inch, twice a week, above your grave. Perfect!"

"I don't need bluray on my 15" laptop or 27" iMac, but I swear to god I better get 1080p on my 55" HDTV"
- something I said when the AppleTV ($99) came out. My TV is too nice for 720p
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Steve Jobs squashes rumors of smaller, 7-inch iPad