or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements - Page 4

post #121 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*snort* Ignorance is bliss.

10.7 Wishlist:

Resolution Independence.
Tabbed Finder.
iTunes' Illuminous scrollbars system-wide (I already have that, but they're hacked in).

That's really it for me. Better multithreading performance, obviously.

I'd say you are the ignorant one-in such you did not counter my note regarding animation being impossible-also i never said there was no place for touch aspects in the operating system just that there will be many instances where touch would not suffice and the mouse, draw-pads, pens, et al. will remain supreme. Do not assume when reading a statement and comment on what is written.
post #122 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Would you like an answer to your question? Or do you fear your own limited imagination?
As a side-note: I touched the 'reply' link to reply to your post. I forgot it was on my MacBook...

J.

Sure-enlighten me... PLEASE
I'll recommend you for a NOBEL PRIZE.
post #123 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I'd say you are the ignorant one-in such you did not counter my note regarding animation being impossible

Because that statement is nonsensical and I refuse to so much as acknowledge it with a rebuttal.

Quote:
...the mouse... ...will remain supreme

You really think a MOUSE is better for doing 3D work? Okay. To each his own.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

 

Reply
post #124 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You say you don't have to "reach" for the keyboard on a touch interface? The keyboard isn't there to begin with, you have to invoke it. While you're busy invoking your keyboard to set about printing that PDF I'll be hitting cmd+P.

Ok?

I see your point. You mean ultra fast. I think fast is enough for most tasks.
But the 'keyboard' could already be in place if the application is running.

J.
post #125 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How are the vertical traffic lights more practical? When clicking them it's less probable you might accidentally click a control. Why? Because the controls are off and away to the right, not just a hairs-breath underneath the buttons.

Hm, I think they are much harder to hit in the first place, because they are significantly smaller. And I don't know how well that would work in other applications. I can picture it, but with these things you always have to try it out...

The only reason I could think of is that the vertical traffic bars let you ditch the title bar, which I think could be something that Apple is looking for. Remember the Safari 4 beta?
post #126 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

Sure-enlighten me... PLEASE
I'll recommend you for a NOBEL PRIZE.

That would be nice.
Maybe a patent application first then.
post #127 of 138
iOS has a lot of beautiful interface elements, I am not against them coming to OS X. Anyway if you look back to 10.0, they have been evolving the GUI the whole time. That's why I don't think this will be a major overhaul, it will just be an iOS inspired round of a continuing evolution.
post #128 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

That would be nice.
Maybe a patent application first then.

Absolutely hysterical - you made my day!!! thank you...
post #129 of 138
Xcode 4 uses the LLVM compiler which makes smaller and faster executables. Xcode is in Developer preview state right now and my guess is that it will go public in the next Mac OS. So.... why not start the ball rolling with recompiling the OS using LLVM so we have a smaller and faster OS?

Another WAG? Built-in ability to run Windows programs. That is something the business community has been wanting for some time now and would go far to advance Mac sales. It would give business buyers fewer worries to make the switch. Home computing is decreasing in importance as most people only need an iPad for what they do. The future for power users who still need desktop horsepower, is in business users and power home users.

Just my guesses for some radical, yet subtle, changes.
post #130 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._os_x_107.html

You could argue he was answering the second part of the question.

I'm sorry, but I don't see that as having anything to do with merging the two.

Apple could maintain the app store, and continue to have open software sales for everything else. There's no reason why that wouldn't work just fine.

But the advantages to merging the two are tremendous. One guy here started by saying; "I can't imagine...". That's right HE can't imagine, but I, and others can. There are just so many ways this could work.

Most people thought the mouse was a waste of time. My god, it took your fingers off the keyboard! That was sacrilege! You could do much better by memorizing hundreds of two and three letter combos. Why would you need drop down menus? That was just for beginners, not for experienced users.

This is all such a crock! Touch has so many advantages it's difficult to know where to start telling them. I can say one thing though. With proper design, touch is much faster than a mouse, and more accurate too.
post #131 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcarswell View Post

I would like someone to explain to me how in the hell they think anyone could actually create 3d models and animation in a touch interface-it cannot be done period-if you think so you are seriously one inept individual and lose all credibility. This is only one example of several examples of touch limitations-hope you haven't injured yourselves falling off that turnip truck.

It seems that Autodesk disagrees with you. In addition to having AutoCad on the Mac again, they've created an app for the iPad that allows you to manipulate Autocad drawings, and modify them. Of course, the iPad isn't nearly as powerful as what AutoCad normally needs, but it's impressive nevertheless. There's no doubt that this will become more prevalent in the future, as many CAD programs now allow manipulation of 3D from large touchscreen monitors.

http://architosh.com/2010/10/autocad...now-available/
post #132 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unconfirmed source says Mac OS X 10.7 will incorporate a number of iOS interface elements, such as scroll bars and scrolling behavior, a new report claims.

This I like. When the mouse is not moving over the window, the bars disappear. As soon you the mouse moves, the small bar shows inline but does not move the window contents. In a browser, the contents move when the bar shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the source, the Mac OS X QuickLook technology may receive an overhaul as well. Instead of translucent black, the QuickLook UI in 10.7 will be white and include support for popovers in the Spotlight menu, wrote Viticci.

This I don't like. That's going to be an odd transition to go from white to full-screen black or retina-burning full-screen white.

I was wondering what the spotlight thing would be but it will be that when you get spotlight results, you can quicklook them for a preview.

I just wish they'd fix navigation in fullscreen mode as well as the Finder navigation.
post #133 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff View Post

That would never happen, because Apple optimises it's UI for input method. So a device is either touch or non-touch. Each element on the screen needs to be optimized for touch input, but doing that makes using a mouse less comfortable and vice versa. That is why iPhone has a different UI then OSX.

PS I can see a specialty touch UI that would have to be activated (like front row) that would be touch. But I doubt it will ever just co-exist with the mouse input.

I don't agree. The reason why the interfaces are so different, is because OS X was invented before touch, as we know it today. The reason why the iPhone uses touch is because its screen is so small.

There's no reason why both can't exist at the same time, even if you can't imagine it.
post #134 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You say you don't have to "reach" for the keyboard on a touch interface? The keyboard isn't there to begin with, you have to invoke it. While you're busy invoking your keyboard to set about printing that PDF I'll be hitting cmd+P.

Ok?

Normally, invoking the keyboard is nothing more than touching the point at which you want to start typing. Since you have to do that anyway with a mouse, there's no time lost.

As for printing on my iPad, my program doesn't need the keyboard at all. just touch "print".
post #135 of 138
It appears that the "i" in "iOS" stands for touch input. Personally, I much prefer the standard method of input that exists on current Macs.

I am not a fan of the iPad interface, because it is limiting in comparison to a standard full computer system in the way of the type of work that I use computers for. I'd hate to see it overrun the refined beauty that is Mac OS X. The iPad OS seems big and bulky and somehow not charming. However, it is noted that each of the two have their own uses and perhaps should not be compared... yet.

When using pro applications such as Final Cut Studio, Maya, Photoshop, and Illustrator, I can't imagine the use of a touch interface as primary input. There is already a serenity to Apple pro workflow that should not be disturbed.

I can see how a touch-based iMac might appeal to the typical computer user (but also how it wouldn't), but on-screen touch functionality should be an optional addition to a full system.
post #136 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Mac OS Pro?

How about Mac OS Starter, Mac OS Home Basic, Mac OS Home Premium, Mac OS Professional and Mac OS Enterprise and Mac OS Ultimate?

It's not Apple's way of doing things. This is so Microsoft.

Hey I know this is supposed to be about Mac OS X, but am I the only one who would be willing to pay for a "dumbed down"/special version of Mac OS X for the iPad? That would be sick. Any thoughts?
15" 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, Unibody Macbook Pro

iPhone 5 (Slate, 64 GB) [au by KDDI, Japan] (I'm going Docomo with the iPhone 6!)
iPad Air (Wifi, 32 GB)
Reply
15" 2.3 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, Unibody Macbook Pro

iPhone 5 (Slate, 64 GB) [au by KDDI, Japan] (I'm going Docomo with the iPhone 6!)
iPad Air (Wifi, 32 GB)
Reply
post #137 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

Xcode 4 uses the LLVM compiler which makes smaller and faster executables. Xcode is in Developer preview state right now and my guess is that it will go public in the next Mac OS. So.... why not start the ball rolling with recompiling the OS using LLVM so we have a smaller and faster OS?

Another WAG? Built-in ability to run Windows programs. That is something the business community has been wanting for some time now and would go far to advance Mac sales. It would give business buyers fewer worries to make the switch. Home computing is decreasing in importance as most people only need an iPad for what they do. The future for power users who still need desktop horsepower, is in business users and power home users.

Just my guesses for some radical, yet subtle, changes.

I think exactly the same, Dave. VMWare and Parallels provide nice solutions, but these still need to be installed, it's not an it-just-works experience. Apple can just build in an x86 virtualization, or they can go further and build some API virtualization *as well* (Ã* la WINE project). Then, if you use relatively simple programs that do not use too obscure APIs, you won't even have to buy Windows. Recall that "Barolo" project codename? Windows could become the new Classic. All important APIs implemented on top of powerful Mac OS X foundation.
post #138 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

aren't rumors inherently unverified?

correct; that's why they're called rumours
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Unverified report claims Mac OS X 10.7 to adopt iOS interface elements